Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Rant/Vent/sad thread

#21976 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:16 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:59 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 12:48 pm I guess I misunderstood a few things then. Yeah there wasn't much of a better way of doing things, then... But then again, she wasn't really looking in the right place either. :?
She may have not be a good candidate and It may not have been my intention but still i made her feel stupid and question her own self worth. And i will feel bad about it.
Maybe, if you have her email address, you could send her a note reminding her who you are and telling her that you think she would have done much better if interviewing for an electrical- or mechatronic-engineering position rather than a programming position... give her a little boost to her self-worth, even if it isn't the boost she wanted.

Sounds like she has the credentials that a LOT of big-name cutting-edge tech companies should be looking for... unfortunately for her, your company is (or at that time was) not one of them.
I am not sure that would be ethical and i am pretty sure i can't contact her now that she got rejected. She does have nice credentials and i am sure she can find a better job somewhere else. This was an internship position so maybe it is better for her to wait until she graduates. Do not ask me how all the candidates had work experience on related industry being two years before graduation.

EDIT:
Spoiler! rant
So considered making a new post to add this but maybe it is better like this.

So as i may have mentioned before I am not a big fan of my current job so i have been looking for a change. So decided to shoot high and try to apply to a large company in the US. Had tried before with no response but whatever it cost nothing to apply.
So to my surprised they reached out this time, I was quite excited and scared of course, HR lass send me a short questionnaire to schedule up an interview. And the very next day ,my hopes where shot down as the lass told me that they could not sponsor a work visa for me. You could say i should not apply to jobs outside my country but two of my former colleagues and friends from my current job did ended up going to this company with US based roles, they got a work visa and all. I have no idea why they said they can't get one for me, if they simply did not liked my resume they could have simply not contacted me at all. So yeah that got me a little sad...

Anyhow excuse my ramblings and bothering you with my personal stuff for obvious reasons i cannot share this with my friends at work and just wanted to put this out there

Thanks if you read this.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21977 Post by Dadrobit »

Just got home from a work meeting, and I just need to rant.

Management is desperate to try and curb the number of people calling off and coming in exceptionally late. Our security work is set up that if someone calls off or comes in late, the person that was being relieved by said call off doesn't get to leave. That means we unfortunately have to deal with a lot of sudden 12 and 16 hour shifts, sometimes multiple days in a row. And doubly unfortunately, management largely DOES NOT fire people even for major infractions like getting caught sleeping and calling off with no notice. As you can imagine, that's not great for morale for the rest of the team.

As a solution, management is finally starting to take some action. Those who are habitually late or absent are getting a 3 strike system where they will have their quarterly gas stipend reduced, reduced, and then removed on the third infraction within 3 months. Good progress at least, right?

Well unfortunately, management has REALLY taken a liking to punishment all of a sudden, and now even the decent guards, (so like 75% of us) can and will be punished with the removal of OUR quarterly gas stipend for the infraction of not answering our personal phones on our time off within 3 hours. Don't answer or call back within 3 hours, and do that 3 times in a quarter? Then you too don't get the stipend. Don't like getting woken up by spam callers at all hours of the day and night? Too bad, take your phone off of 'do not disturb' because now every phone call you get is a threat against your paycheck.

Like, this is at the same meeting where they tell us that we all need to work faster, be more patient with our clients, and be more cheerful and presentable. Exactly how are we gonna do that when we have to deal with calls at 1 in the morning that we NEED to answer under threat of reduced pay???

I'm just a shift supervisor, and I tried to fight back against it, but I was just completely shut down and told it's non-negotiable.

"Sorry, Dadrobit, but we all need to be better team players."

[censored] off.

Fire the bad employees instead of waiting for them to quit all the time. Don't punish literally everybody else for having the audacity to want a decent sleep.

In other news, my resume has been updated and I'll probably be leaving this job sooner than anticipated.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21978 Post by Warrl »

Aren't there government regulations about keeping employees on call when off duty? (I know that when I was sometimes on call, I was paid 1/10 regular hourly rate simply for being on call, and if they called me it was minimum 1 hour at full pay - overtime if it pushed me above 40 hours a week. But I don't know at what level that policy originated.)

Also, I just posted a relevant filk elsewhere.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21979 Post by Dadrobit »

Warrl wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:13 pm Aren't there government regulations about keeping employees on call when off duty? (I know that when I was sometimes on call, I was paid 1/10 regular hourly rate simply for being on call, and if they called me it was minimum 1 hour at full pay - overtime if it pushed me above 40 hours a week. But I don't know at what level that policy originated.)

Also, I just posted a relevant filk elsewhere.
Overtime pay is mandatory. But they're likely getting around any existing regs, (if there are any in AZ) by specifying that we don't HAVE to come in. We just need to answer the phone to tell them no. So we're not technically "on-call" for mandatory overtime when they ring us, just the communication itself is mandatory. And that what we're losing as a result isn't a paycheck cut, it's "just" gas stipend bonuses.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#21980 Post by Warrl »

So we're not technically "on-call" for mandatory overtime when they ring us, just the communication itself is mandatory.
So a voicemail system picking up the call and saying "no, I am not available for work at this time" would satisfy the requirement?

Hey, the call was answered and the communication delivered...

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#21981 Post by tony1695 »

Hard drive failure!
It's going click, Windows isn't booting...
Good news is I already have a second hard drive installed, and it's bigger than the one that failed. The bad news is I was neglectful about backups, so I may need to just buy a new Windows key.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#21982 Post by Bellhead »

Are you sure it was a harddrive failure and not that stupid Windows update going around that makes a lot of hardware inoperative? That's what happened to mine, anyway. That said, if you have a USB to SATA converter, you just might be able to salvage some data off the old drive... The main OS files all have to be readable for the OS to boot, but if some of them get corrupted, it doesn't mean the whole drive is toast.

Also, you didn't save your key anywhere?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#21983 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:39 pm Are you sure it was a harddrive failure and not that stupid Windows update going around that makes a lot of hardware inoperative? That's what happened to mine, anyway. That said, if you have a USB to SATA converter, you just might be able to salvage some data off the old drive... The main OS files all have to be readable for the OS to boot, but if some of them get corrupted, it doesn't mean the whole drive is toast.

Also, you didn't save your key anywhere?
I tried multiple boots, each one failed. Gonna try again after work, see if I can get it work one last time.
And it turns out I don't need a key, either, as long as the mobo is unchanged.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#21984 Post by Dadrobit »

I wish I could post something happy for once. I feel a complete wreck right now.

I'm only a third generation American. My whole family almost entirely relates back to refugees from Ukraine escaping the Holocaust to New York. Indeed, my family even maintains having and giving our kids slavic names, (though my father was the first to eschew learning anything but English.) My family's name exists now in Ukraine as little more than a town maintaining a Holocaust memorial, but as an adult it's been something of a bucket list tick for me to one day visit for myself. My grandfather even recently started finding distant relatives that managed to keep to the region and it was fun finding and getting to speak to some of them even if our conversations were limited to, "Isn't the internet great?"

I spent last night and this morning glued to reports coming out of Ukraine, and I just feel so utterly sick...

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#21985 Post by Kellard »

I'm tired. I'm very tired.

I went through a really rough time in 2019 and 2020. More things happened than I care to tell. I was actively trying to turn my life around for my own good. Despite my best efforts it felt nigh impossible. Life just loved to keep beating me up, but I kept going. I'm still unhappy about the way things in the past turned out, but I think my diligence paid off (a special someone did also contribute to the improvement of my mental state though). For the first time in years, I could confidently say I wasn't depressed, anxious beyond belief, or thinking about ending my life because everything felt so hopeless.

For the last one and a half years or so, I have been focused on doing as much as I can. Achieving as much as I can. Don't let those sentences deceive you though, this isn't a happy post. It's not burnout that has been eating at me. It's knowing that in my efforts to keep my mind as busy as I can so I have no time to focus on the negative, I lost something important. I feel like I lost my ability to enjoy. It's all work, day after day. Always thinking about the next important thing, the next scheduled activity. Even when I try to go out of my way to do stuff that I used to enjoy, I fail to do so. Getting tired of it in no time.

I'm living life waiting for the next thing. They say focus on the now, on the process. I am, I swear. It's the only way I have been able to get this far, but I'm not enjoying it. I'm not happy. I'm here taking it one day at a time, but it's hard when every day is as dull as the last. So much focus in the present up front, but all dedicated to the hope in the background. The thing that really keeps me going. Even if I do get what I want, who's to say I'll be satisfied by then?

Sometimes I think about what it felt like to be able to exist knowing that I could just not move from my place and it wouldn't matter. As terribly broken as I was, there was a strange comfort in it. There was a strange comfort in waking up feeling like I didn't want to be alive, then just sat at my chair in my dark room literally all day. Waiting until it was time to sleep again. It was one of the worst experiences in my life, but part of me wants to do something like that again. Sit in a dark corner and forget about everything. I'm not sure I'm even allowed to say things like that in here. I don't want them to be taken the wrong way.

To make matters a bit worse, workload did increase some and it has kind of been wearing me out some more. Plus there was an unfortunate event today, so that doesn't help...

I'm stable. I'm healthy, I think. I do what I have to do. I'm working towards things I want. I'm just not happy. And I'm pretty tired right now.

Spoiler! Relevant

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#21986 Post by Bellhead »

Oddly enough, I know exactly how you feel, in that respect... I thought the same way for a long time. Even now, things I used to have a lot of fun with, feel like just another chore. I still don't really have any hobbies, and aside from the odd random occurrence, my life is incredibly monotonous; I only ever go 3 places, namely home, work and store on the way home. Unfortunately, there's not much I can even say about it, and there's nothing I can say that will actually help you feel better.

I've felt that comfort you mentioned, and it is nice, and I think I can say why: Knowing that you don't matter, means you feel no pressure to do anything. No responsibilities means no stress, and when you're at the end of your rope, that small bit of comfort can feel frighteningly appealing.

What I can tell you, is the more you focus, and the harder you work, the more you try, the worse it gets. Daily life is painful, and the more you pay attention to it, the more strength you give it. The only way it ever got better, for me anyway, was to just let it go. It's not the right solution, and don't get me wrong, it will eat you alive a bit at a time, but if you just stop feeling emotions altogether (Yes, good ones too), you'll become numb to the pain. And once the pain is null, there's an opportunity to find some small semblance of joy in even the smallest things.

I can't even just say, "it's the little things that matter, focus on them", because at the point you're at, that won't work. As long you can still feel, as long as you can still feel anything, that pain will still be there, and I never found a healthy way to cope with it.

Hope this helps you, in some small way. I know it would have helped me, back then... But being told to 'just keep trying', didn't work, and it didn't help.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#21987 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Look i am not good with words but i will try.

I understand back i college i felt ally did was work, work, work day in day out extremely tiring to do anything. On top of that i was afraid that i may just get my degree be unemployed and end up teaching on some backwater school for a pittance. I put all my chips in school and feared i may loose it all for nothing.

But i found solace in trying. Even if it ended poorly and lost everything for little I had all that effort i put on and the satisfaction of achieving something. Following with the trend of poor advice I basically pushed through by sheer spite to prove the world I could do it and probably fear of failure being stuck on a dead end and add a little bit of anger in there. But maybe just maybe I simply managed to somehow enjoy it. You know? Get some joy for the simple pleasure of a job well done even if only for my own sake.

Again i am terrible with words and my situation is not the same as yours, but i hope I was of some help.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#21988 Post by Kellard »

I don't know what helps, but I guess that's not surprising. I'm also trying to get as much as I can done because well... I don't have infinite time.

I'm haunted by the knowledge that if I don't do my best now there will be a day when I can no longer do as well as I could have. I refuse to stop when I easily could. It's the pain of discipline vs the pain of regret.

Still, that was all just venting. I wanted to get it off my chest but in the end it solves nothing. Maybe I'll have to find my own unhealthy coping mechanism. Ironic considering I started doing all of this to become healthier and overall better...

Still tired...

The Blue Fox
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Laura

#21989 Post by The Blue Fox »

Kellard wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:55 am I don't know what helps, but I guess that's not surprising. I'm also trying to get as much as I can done because well... I don't have infinite time.

I'm haunted by the knowledge that if I don't do my best now there will be a day when I can no longer do as well as I could have. I refuse to stop when I easily could. It's the pain of discipline vs the pain of regret.

Still, that was all just venting. I wanted to get it off my chest but in the end it solves nothing. Maybe I'll have to find my own unhealthy coping mechanism. Ironic considering I started doing all of this to become healthier and overall better...
Masks, I relate to this so much. :(
I have so many regrets. I have already wasted so much of my life with nothing to show for it because I was too much of a quitter.
As soon as anything got difficult, I gave up way too easily, and my life suffered as a result. :(
I wish time travel would become a reality so I can go back and tell my younger self what he needed to hear so he can do better than I did.
But all I can do for now is try to do better for the rest of my life.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#21990 Post by Bellhead »

I have a coworker who drives a Ford Fiesta. 1.0 turbo, 5-speed manual.

He got the car last June, just under 70K miles, for over $7,000. It has since blown a turbo, nearly blew a timing belt, AND an oil pump belt, broken several exhaust components, and lost oil pressure out of nowhere because pieces of the timing belt kept clogging the screen. AND blew a head gasket. And, of course, NONE of it was warranty, even having owned it less than a year. Ford quoted $6100 JUST for the turbo alone, and that was before the timing belt was to be changed, AND before the head gasket blew.

With a few connections, we got a hold of the REQUIRED tools for setting the timing, which (for the crank) is ENTIRELY friction based, meaning there are no timing marks. Anywhere. And torqueing the crank bolt requires a 5:1 torque multiplier, which (though included in the tools) does NOT fit where it says it does, and after torqueing to 18 ft-lbs, then 52, has you use the multiplier to set it to 220, then 5 stages of plus 90°. Rather than just have a [censored] keyway like it should.

AND, as we found out the hard way, BY FOLLOWING THE FACTORY INSTRUCTIONS, timing cannot be set by following the instructions. Which are not clear, and are not specific. So we had to modify the factory procedure to get it done right.

Granted, it worked when we were done, and he drove it home yesterday as an extended test drive. But that car... Whatever those engineers were smoking when they came up with that must be some pretty serious stuff, because NOBODY in their right mind would do things this [censored] stupidly. I will be adding Ford to the list of engineers to punch if I ever meet them. Gods I hate stupid people...