Shipping, of sorts.

If you want to influence the new book, make your suggestions here.

Moderator: Moderators

Should there be a digital version of the book?

Of course!
65%
No (please explain in response)
35%

Total votes: 26

N3XUZ
Citizen

Shipping, of sorts.

#1 Post by N3XUZ »

Okay, so I'm new to these particular boards, so forgive me if there's something already answering this question, but will there possibly be any legal way to purchase the book and view it online/ in a digital format? I can't exactly buy and receive a hard copy, otherwise I would, but as I can't I'm rather concerned that I won't be able to keep up with one of my favourite series of all times D:

I know that perhaps there might be difficulty in preventing the copies from being distributed illegally, but if anyone really wanted to they would anyways, hard copy or not. I'm pretty sure that A) TwoKinds' fan base would be just a little more loyal than that, and B) TwoKinds isn't quite as popular or mainstream as, say, Johnen Vazquez's work, and so there won't be as many people quite as eager to see it and therefore willing to break the law to do so. And to be completely honest with you, I don't know if I would ever be willing to wait weeks to receive a hard cover that is at risk of being damaged and destroyed when I could just PayPal some cash and read it right away and not have to worry about spilling water on the page :D

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

Re: Shipping, of sorts.

#2 Post by FastChapter »

Actually, you can do that now for free. *points to the comic archives*

N3XUZ
Citizen

#3 Post by N3XUZ »

Eh, makes sense that I missed that. I thought that, with all the talk of remaking pages and whatnot, it might be a standalone-type book or something. *shrugs* Er, thanks.

Happeh
Traveler

#4 Post by Happeh »

Tom has mentioned the book will have extras in it. (Map of TK Etc.)
And if you've checked his comparisons on his deviant art page, the book seems to be in better quality.
But if your only into reading the comic and nothing else then the comic archive is perfect.

N3XUZ
Citizen

#5 Post by N3XUZ »

Fair enough |D thanks

Gforce81
Templar Master

#6 Post by Gforce81 »

Digital copies would be definetely too hard to control.

Also, If you didn't know about the archives, and you joined about the same time I did, how did you read any of the series?

Just curious.
ImageBest movie of all time!

EB from G
Council Member

#7 Post by EB from G »

Gforce81 wrote:Also, If you didn't know about the archives, and you joined about the same time I did, how did you read any of the series?
Well, I would say the "official" Comicgenesis archive is also there to be read. But Robbie's is still more user-freindly.

Garrett
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Garrett »

No, obviously because illegal distribution would be too easy. Tom deserves to be payed for his contribution to humanity :grin: :P

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by avwolf »

Actually, it really depends on his distribution system. If Tom uses, say, Lulu, they usually offer both a print and a PDF version of the books, probably at the author's discretion. And seriously? Piracy? He's putting up the thing for free as it stands. And with a fandom our size, I doubt illegal distribution of his already free work is in the forefront of Tom's mind.

However, Tom has remarked that the initial preorder run is going to be sketch editions, which strongly suggests that he's going with just a printing solution and is handling distribution himself. That does permit him to do things like sketched or signed copies, pays for the initial run (hence the preorder run) and possibly getting it more solid distribution, and with him handling distribution, he can keep the price down and still maintain a decent margin.

Zeuxis
New Citizen

#10 Post by Zeuxis »

I'm going to pre-order for sure, but honestly, piracy could only help 2Kinds. All of the fans who can afford it will buy it in print. Nobody's going to pirate it and then print it out, and nobody is going to just want a pirated version instead of buying it - what's the difference between a few colored strips (which may be online anyway) in digital format?

If anyone pirated it, then everyone who downloaded it would be a new fan. People pay for the book because they want it in print, on paper, to share and enjoy, and they want to support the author. Piracy could never fill that desire.

I think a digital download would be a great idea, and if it was at a reduced price it would sell. People who can afford the print would get it; people who can't, would probably be willing to shell out a few bucks for the digital download.

C_Death
Master

#11 Post by C_Death »

I'm going to say no to digital download, at least for now. Once the demand for the hard copy has gone down, then perhaps a digital version can be made available.
TwoKinds Wallpapers - http://c-death.deviantart.com/

Dragonis
Citizen

#12 Post by Dragonis »

C_Death wrote:I'm going to say no to digital download, at least for now. Once the demand for the hard copy has gone down, then perhaps a digital version can be made available.
I agree with this