QUESTION THREAD!

For tech wizards and n00bs alike. Questions, answers, or just general hoo-haa.

Moderator: Moderators

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: QUESTION THREAD!

#61 Post by Schrodinger »

Okay, I recently got my desktop back from the repair shop and it was working fine there; but now the USB ports don't seem to be working at all. I have a Dell Dimension E510 and the only way to plug in any mouse or keyboard is to use a USB port. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it but have had no success.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#62 Post by FastChapter »

Five bucks says they didn't plug the USB ports into the motherboard, :P Either that or you have a faulty USB card.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#63 Post by avwolf »

I imagine you've already reinstalled the Dell drivers, Schrodinger?

Anything putting up flags in your Device Manager?

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#64 Post by Schrodinger »

FastChapter wrote:Five bucks says they didn't plug the USB ports into the motherboard, :P Either that or you have a faulty USB card.
It might have come loose, anyone have a diagram of the inside of a Dell E510 I could look at for reference?

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#65 Post by avwolf »

If they aren't USB ports among the onboard stuff (that is to say, they're USB ports with a cable that could be unplugged), it ought to be relatively obvious. When you crack the case, there'll be a cable running from the USB ports into the computer, it should connect to a batch of pins on the motherboard. If it's not, then we'll find a motherboard diagram to find the USB pins, otherwise, just make sure it's tight, and the connector's seated properly.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#66 Post by Schrodinger »

They work up until I get to the Windows log in screen then the stop working. I have no clue what the problem is.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#67 Post by avwolf »

I'm guessing that all means that the BIOS drivers for the USB devices are fine, but the Windows drivers are bad. They should show up as flagged in your Device Manager, but regardless, I'd recommend you reinstall the drivers for the USB subsystem.

-- I'd Suggest --
Starting with the chipset drivers from Dell. You might even try uninstalling the existing mouse and keyboard drivers -- you should get basic functionality from the standard Microsoft drivers, which ought to take over if there isn't a different driver present.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#68 Post by aj »

Schrodinger wrote:They work up until I get to the Windows log in screen then the stop working. I have no clue what the problem is.
Since it works up till the point where Windows loads, that suggests something is wrong with Windows... it's possible that the USB driver was corrupted somehow. Can you try using a PS/2 keyboard (round, usually purple connector)?

Semi-ninja'd, so additional info:
avwolf wrote:I'm guessing that all means that the BIOS drivers for the USB devices are fine, but the Windows drivers are bad. They should show up as flagged in your Device Manager, but regardless, I'd recommend you reinstall the drivers for the USB subsystem.
If you can get into Windows, do Start > Run (Keyboard Shortcut: Win key + R), and enter devmgmt.msc to get into the device manager to see...
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

Ashpool
Templar Master

#69 Post by Ashpool »

Does thermal paste normally stick? I'm having to deconstruct a machine to RMA the motherboard and my CPU cooler seems to be stuck to the CPU itself. @_@
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

SpeedFreak
Templar GrandMaster

#70 Post by SpeedFreak »

Delusional Kangaroo wrote:Does thermal paste normally stick? I'm having to deconstruct a machine to RMA the motherboard and my CPU cooler seems to be stuck to the CPU itself. @_@
XDDDD
that happened to me....So i guess it does after a while.
~Alex
My Explorer 4.0L V6 OHV 150HP, 220ft/lb, 5000lb 0-60-15 seconds 1/4 mile-N/A 14.3 MPG

enzia35
Master

#71 Post by enzia35 »

Delusional Kangaroo wrote:Does thermal paste normally stick? I'm having to deconstruct a machine to RMA the motherboard and my CPU cooler seems to be stuck to the CPU itself. @_@
With these cpus with the heat spreaders on them, they have a lot of surface area, and therefore stick really easy. I messed up one of my processors doing that. I had figured I broke it, but I straightened some of the pins out and it worked just fine. 8)

Just run the computer for a bit, then it'll be a bit less sticky. Or if you're already trying to remove it outside of the case, just run a hairdryer over it for a few minutes.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#72 Post by Ashpool »

enzia35 wrote:
With these cpus with the heat spreaders on them, they have a lot of surface area, and therefore stick really easy. I messed up one of my processors doing that. I had figured I broke it, but I straightened some of the pins out and it worked just fine. 8)

Just run the computer for a bit, then it'll be a bit less sticky. Or if you're already trying to remove it outside of the case, just run a hairdryer over it for a few minutes.
I'll try the hairdryer thing. I've already packed up the mobo getting ready to ship it.

EDIT: Woot! The hairdryer worked. This time I'm not using the crappy thermal goop that comes with the heatsink, I've got some Arctic Silver 5 for it now.
Fastchapter wrote:...now the kitchen smells like summer rain and liquid poo.

enzia35
Master

#73 Post by enzia35 »

It's not the thermal paste, it's the heatspreaders on cpu's nowadays. Too much surface area makes them stick really well. I had ceramique on the processor that stuck to the heatsink.

GD
Grand Templar

#74 Post by GD »

Hiyas!
I wanted to create an animated avatar for the forums with a freeware GIF creator program I found on the internets, but something went wrong and now it's all buggy.
I know I didn't make a mistake in the process of creating this. It occured after saving the finished product.

Help please?

Demus
Templar

#75 Post by Demus »

Now that's a bug I don't see everyday o.o

Oh, wait. Now I see it. The program (or whoever made it) assumes that you use full frames and just jams them on top of each other. It's the transparency that bugs it.
The shapeshifting cliché!