Comic for April 5, 2023: Severed

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Starcat5
Citizen

Re: Comic for April 5, 2023: Severed

#16 Post by Starcat5 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:20 pm
Starcat5 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:00 am Well, on the plus side, he still has Youngtani. If the... two? ...of them can hold it together, they are actually in perfect position to take out Clovis' gemstone.
I mean, I have no doubt Youngtani was, and remains, a part of Natani, and that essence would almost certainly remain on Natani's side with a broken link, but would the broken link merge the two, or would Young just end up a voice in Nat's head? Would the essence survive, or would the raw material (as it were) of Young end up absorbed by Nat for a more complete soul?
I'm not sure. We're talking about a mixture of Fantasy MPD and iRL DID. Sort of like the recent Disney+ Moon Knight, but without the body swapping and super powers.
Remember This? "...so I copied his."
Wrong link. That was not the comic page you intended to point us to.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#17 Post by Bellhead »

Starcat5 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:42 pm
Remember This? "...so I copied his."
Wrong link. That was not the comic page you intended to point us to.
Sorry. I blame tiredness.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

ibneko

#18 Post by ibneko »

Rafe wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:46 am Oh no!
It looks like Clovis has taken Natani's breasts as well!
Heh, it would be absolutely hilarious if Clovis ends up with extra large breasts as a result of the spell gone awry. (Maybe someone can request this as a sketch request?)

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#19 Post by Tornir »

Ugh...
What if Nat ends up linked to Clovis instead? That would arguably be worse than dying.

Rafe
Council Member

#20 Post by Rafe »

ibneko wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:56 am
Heh, it would be absolutely hilarious if Clovis ends up with extra large breasts as a result of the spell gone awry. (Maybe someone can request this as a sketch request?)
I had that thought. Perhaps Clovis would keep them for himself (any number of possibilities come to mind). Or maybe he would offer them to the grateful Karen to go with her new tail. He does seem to like gratitude.
Perhaps he's seen into Flora's mind and is waiting to offer them to her as a bribe.

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Cinnibar »

I mean, yes, it's a loss, but perhaps it is time for the link as-is to go.

It is fortunate the link was once blocked before, allowing Natani to stand on his own again. This breakage might be a shock, but likely not as it was before. The two wolves don't have to be linked, anymore. Natani's younger self, if worried, is still part of Natani after all, it isn't Zen.

And both brothers have started to grow into relationships with others that embarrass their sibling. I'm sure, link or no, they'll always care for each other, but their seperate lives will probably welcome more privacy. They'll just have to tease and gossip the way other siblings do.

And really, if they want to get a link back in the future for efficient adventuring (as there are advantages) they have several high magic friends who can help set up what they want....without Clovis adding backdoors as he did this one before Nora blocked it.

Clovis will just have to live with disappointment breaking the link dorsn't revert Natani to a husk. Been there, done that, thankfully. Darn.

Rafe
Council Member

#22 Post by Rafe »

Tornir wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:35 am Ugh...
What if Nat ends up linked to Clovis instead? That would arguably be worse than dying.
Cinnibar wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:11 pm I mean, yes, it's a loss, but perhaps it is time for the link as-is to go.

It is fortunate the link was once blocked before, allowing Natani to stand on his own again. This breakage might be a shock, but likely not as it was before. The two wolves don't have to be linked, anymore. Natani's younger self, if worried, is still part of Natani after all, it isn't Zen...
Clovis will just have to live with disappointment breaking the link dorsn't revert Natani to a husk. Been there, done that, thankfully. Darn.
There's far more danger than that.
What scares me is Natani says "The link... The mindscape ...It's gone!"
Last time, Natani still had a mindscape, which is how she communicated with her younger self. She also had some access to see (but not contact) the outside world. This isn't the same. Natani has been literally plunged into darkness and nothingness ...alone. To be held in total isolation, with no sensory input, not even Clovis' voice to torment her, sounds horrifying. Clovis has, for all practical purposes, just sent Natani to Hell. Even the artwork shows her falling into blackness.

Natani may still have a soul, and may still "exist" in some way, but isolated in nothingness like that with nothing to hear or talk to, I wouldn't give any chance that she could last any amount of time. It would surely damage her mentally to be left that way, even a short time. Death would come soon enough, and probably be welcomed.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#23 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:35 am What scares me is Natani says "The link... The mindscape ...It's gone!"
Last time, Natani still had a mindscape, which is how she communicated with her younger self. She also had some access to see (but not contact) the outside world. This isn't the same. Natani has been literally plunged into darkness and nothingness ...alone. To be held in total isolation, with no sensory input, not even Clovis' voice to torment her, sounds horrifying. Clovis has, for all practical purposes, just sent Natani to Hell. Even the artwork shows her falling into blackness.

Natani may still have a soul, and may still "exist" in some way, but isolated in nothingness like that with nothing to hear or talk to, I wouldn't give any chance that she could last any amount of time. It would surely damage her mentally to be left that way, even a short time. Death would come soon enough, and probably be welcomed.
I'll have to disagree with you there. From what we've seen of Nat, Zen and Youngtani in the mindscape thus far, it's almost like it's a separate environment entirely; not actually IN one mind or another. They can see and interact with each other's forms, be they souls or mental images or what-have-you, but as far as environments go, I don't think that was actually a part of either of them.

If we look back to here, Natani was influenced by the real world, but woke up in a bed on the ship before realizing he was in the mindscape the whole time. And for all we know, SHE was there the whole time. Given that, and what we see of the mindscape's behavior, I highly doubt Natani would end up stuck in a vast empty nothingness with the link gone, but at worst, would simply end up unconscious. That said, this and this. Last time, there was a flash of runes, and Natani only had time to react, not reflect on what the heck happened, before going completely comatose.

This time's different. Natani is fully conscious and aware of what's happening, with enough time and focus to analyze what's actually going on. This leads me to think of the mindscape as a sort of lucid dream state, or a fabricated communal environment for the sub-conscious mind.

Now, if we think of the mindscape as a separate environment contained within the link itself, as a way to manifest the souls involved to commune consciously or sub-consciously, there's no reason they would be stuck in it permanently if the link itself were destroyed; they would simply experience it disappearing with the link, and feel the sudden emptiness of no longer having it. I think that's what's going on.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#24 Post by AmigaDragon »

ibneko wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:02 pm Ooof, double whammy for Nat: both losing the soul link and now feeling the pain of his broken ribs that Zen was taking the pain for.
We can't be sure they were actually broken (no cracks indicated), they may just be (painfully) stressed.
That is just her mindscape self-image which varies from time to time (with or without breasts, with or without clothing).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Rafe
Council Member

#25 Post by Rafe »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:37 am
This time's different. Natani is fully conscious and aware of what's happening, with enough time and focus to analyze what's actually going on. This leads me to think of the mindscape as a sort of lucid dream state, or a fabricated communal environment for the sub-conscious mind.

Now, if we think of the mindscape as a separate environment contained within the link itself, as a way to manifest the souls involved to commune consciously or sub-consciously, there's no reason they would be stuck in it permanently if the link itself were destroyed; they would simply experience it disappearing with the link, and feel the sudden emptiness of no longer having it. I think that's what's going on.
This sounds to me to be what is happening. At the top, Clovis pulling Natani out and holding her is real-world stuff. Unfortunately, so is his ripping the linking magic out of her. She gets some last fragments of the link and mindscape, and then falls into blackness and nothingness. If she's still thinking in that empty place, she might as well be in Hell.

If she's lucky, she's totally unconscious and unthinking by now. Plus, we have no idea what's happened to her physical body. For all we know, Clovis might have just let her drop.

Another possibility is that Clovis is going to take what's left of Natani with him, replace the link magic with something else, and do who-knows-what with her. Knowing how painful it is to Natani to have others control her, Clovis would probably enjoy the results.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#26 Post by Him »

I really don't think Keith could handle Natani being unconscious for a long period of time again- so I hope that doesn't happen.