Comic for March 29, 2023: "Conversing with Clovis"

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for March 29, 2023: Conversing with Clovis

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

So, the new missing eye is only for his Dragon Forum?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

jacobc62
Grand Templar

Comic for March 29, 2023: "Conversing with Clovis"

#2 Post by jacobc62 »

*EDIT* Tom updated the page about 10 minutes after I had posted this, so I updated the image link here as well

*EDIT 2* Tom updated the page again

Sketch Link

Look.... Clovis, I get it. Saving someone's life is a big deal, and you do have the right to expect gratitude from them.... But treating them as something barely above a slave, and even worse treating them as a lesser being just because they weren't born with a dick pretty much negates that "right to gratitude"..... In fact, doing all of that kinda leads into them wanting you to be dead because you're treating them like [censored]. I would also argue that everything past the immediate span of time following the creation of the mental link was not "thanks to you" - especially everything that happens following Natani and Zen's introduction in the comic - since a majority of it was done well outside the range of your influence and control.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for March 29, 2023: Conversing with Clovis

#3 Post by tony1695 »

BadFoMo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:03 am So, the new missing eye is only for his Dragon Forum?
I think what we're seeing is his internal image of himself. Unblemished, undamaged and whole. Given the ghostly projection we're seeing, seems like the most plausible explanation.

Given the dialogue, I expect Clovis is about to try and undo the soul link, expecting it to reduce Natani to an empty shell. (Given his personality, the mind can only go to incredibly uncomfortable places) Good thing the [censored]'s unaware that Natani can now function very well without that crutch.

(Also, you'll need to update that image link, the page's url is different to normal)
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for March 29, 2023: "Conversing with Clovis"

#4 Post by Bellhead »

Interesting to learn that one can, in fact, completely burn out of magic. I mean, we knew mana burn was a thing, but I didn't know it could be that serious.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#5 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am Interesting to learn that one can, in fact, completely burn out of magic. I mean, we knew mana burn was a thing, but I didn't know it could be that serious.
Could be it's a similar process to what the mage that killed themselves damaging Natani's soul did. I'd guess it'd be a consequence of how quickly they burn through their magic. A lot of small spells damage and then destroy your ability to use magic, a small number of big spells (or just one really big one) do so much damage that the body can't cope with the backlash. At least, that's how I figure it works.
Gentlementlemen

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#6 Post by BadFoMo »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:25 am
BadFoMo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:03 amSo, the new missing eye is only for his Dragon Forum?
I think what we're seeing is his internal image of himself. Unblemished, undamaged and whole. Given the ghostly projection we're seeing, seems like the most plausible explanation.
Ah that makes sense.
tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:25 am(Also, you'll need to update that image link, the page's url is different to normal)
I don't see anything wrong? What are you talking about?
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#7 Post by tony1695 »

BadFoMo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:01 am
tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:25 am(Also, you'll need to update that image link, the page's url is different to normal)
I don't see anything wrong? What are you talking about?
Tom updated the image link at some point
Gentlementlemen

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#8 Post by Sky Shatter »

So...I've had some confusion building the past few pages and this caps it. How would a keidran burn themselves out of magic, and why was Natini struggling before? They don't use their own mana sources—they can't—they draw from the stored energy in crystals they carry. Natini either has a charged mana crystal, or she doesn't. There's no struggle to draw from the depths of her reserves, and there's been no precedent I know of on a limit to how many spells can be cast in a time frame.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#9 Post by Hulk10 »

Sky Shatter wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm So...I've had some confusion building the past few pages and this caps it. How would a keidran burn themselves out of magic, and why was Natini struggling before? They don't use their own mana sources—they can't—they draw from the stored energy in crystals they carry. Natini either has a charged mana crystal, or she doesn't. There's no struggle to draw from the depths of her reserves, and there's been no precedent I know of on a limit to how many spells can be cast in a time frame.
I agree. I'm confused too.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#10 Post by tony1695 »

Sky Shatter wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:11 pm So...I've had some confusion building the past few pages and this caps it. How would a keidran burn themselves out of magic, and why was Natini struggling before? They don't use their own mana sources—they can't—they draw from the stored energy in crystals they carry. Natini either has a charged mana crystal, or she doesn't. There's no struggle to draw from the depths of her reserves, and there's been no precedent I know of on a limit to how many spells can be cast in a time frame.
It's more that there's only so much magic a Keidran can safely use in a short time. Natani already burned through a lot of that safe period when the manor defenses activated, and what Clovis is saying is that any more might permanently destroy her ability to use magic in the future.
Gentlementlemen

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:42 pm
It's more that there's only so much magic a Keidran can safely use in a short time. Natani already burned through a lot of that safe period when the manor defenses activated, and what Clovis is saying is that any more might permanently destroy her ability to use magic in the future.
As I understand it, yes, this. Remember that mana, as we know it, it a form of energy produced by something... somehow. And, as a form of energy, it must pass through the body to be used by it, like a conduit.

Humans cannot use crystals, and just draw mana directly from their surroundings. This limits their casting speed and drastically reduces the chances of mana burn, since they need to recharge their "core". Keidren, on the other hand, do not possess the "core" necessary to absorb mana from their surroundings, and are thus required to use crystals, which are basically raw power batteries. This allows them to cast infinitely, as long as they have the crystal supply, but with any energy source pushed through a too-small conduit too fast, can and will cause damage to the conduit, up to and including complete catastrophic failure, or in this case, complete loss of magical ability.

For reference: Magic 101, featuring Professor Raine.

What we learn in this page seems to be that after casting so many powerful spells in a row back in the Oasis Room, and that massive blast at Clovis' dragon form, Natani is feeling the full effect of mana burn. And, just like if you push a muscle too hard too fast, Natani is now finding it difficult to cast magic, even with a near inexhaustible crystal supply. At this stage, if he somehow does manage to cast magic, especially with the amount of power he's trying to use, it could very well push is body far enough past its limits that he would never be able to use it again; mana burn would be so extreme that he would physically lose his ability to cast, like a scar too deep to heal.

Does that make sense?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#12 Post by Hulk10 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:17 pm
tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:42 pm
As I understand it, yes, this. Remember that mana, as we know it, it a form of energy produced by something... somehow. And, as a form of energy, it must pass through the body to be used by it, like a conduit.

Humans cannot use crystals, and just draw mana directly from their surroundings. This limits their casting speed and drastically reduces the chances of mana burn, since they need to recharge their "core". Keidren, on the other hand, do not possess the "core" necessary to absorb mana from their surroundings, and are thus required to use crystals, which are basically raw power batteries. This allows them to cast infinitely, as long as they have the crystal supply, but with any energy source pushed through a too-small conduit too fast, can and will cause damage to the conduit, up to and including complete catastrophic failure, or in this case, complete loss of magical ability.

For reference: Magic 101, featuring Professor Raine.

What we learn in this page seems to be that after casting so many powerful spells in a row back in the Oasis Room, and that massive blast at Clovis' dragon form, Natani is feeling the full effect of mana burn. And, just like if you push a muscle too hard too fast, Natani is now finding it difficult to cast magic, even with a near inexhaustible crystal supply. At this stage, if he somehow does manage to cast magic, especially with the amount of power he's trying to use, it could very well push is body far enough past its limits that he would never be able to use it again; mana burn would be so extreme that he would physically lose his ability to cast, like a scar too deep to heal.

Does that make sense?
I'd say it does.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#13 Post by Sky Shatter »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:17 pm Does that make sense?
Strange, I recall and the wiki supports that humans can use mana crystals to enhance their natural spellcasting. That's the entire function of Templar Towers, after all. They're giant mana crystal batteries for the Templar to draw from.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Bellhead »

Sky Shatter wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:01 am
Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:17 pm Does that make sense?
Strange, I recall and the wiki supports that humans can use mana crystals to enhance their natural spellcasting. That's the entire function of Templar Towers, after all. They're giant mana crystal batteries for the Templar to draw from.
Right, this is indeed a thing. My assumption was that a human can augment their casting speed/power by being connected to the tower, or more specifically, by having their core connected. Regarding humans' use of mana crystals beyond that, I can't say for sure. The only instances we have of such are Eric's light and Raine's shackle, and even then, Raine was the only one who mentioned having crystals.

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#15 Post by FuryoftheStars »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:57 am
Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:45 am Interesting to learn that one can, in fact, completely burn out of magic. I mean, we knew mana burn was a thing, but I didn't know it could be that serious.
Could be it's a similar process to what the mage that killed themselves damaging Natani's soul did. I'd guess it'd be a consequence of how quickly they burn through their magic. A lot of small spells damage and then destroy your ability to use magic, a small number of big spells (or just one really big one) do so much damage that the body can't cope with the backlash. At least, that's how I figure it works.
RE: the mage that killed themselves damaging Natani's soul, I understood this to be because of the type of spell used ("forbidden magic") vs "too powerful", where the spell always has a small chance of killing the caster: https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/449/