Comic for March 1, 2023: Dragon's Wrath

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Comic for March 1, 2023: Dragon's Wrath

#16 Post by Cinnibar »

Rafe wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:48 am Thing is, Clovis' idea of torture might be to tell Natani, "I can see you might not be afraid of pain, or death, so I've decided hold you here so you can watch while your friend dies in front of you... oh, and your brother."
"I can see you might not be afraid of pain, or death, but what about humilation, female!? *evil villain laugh*" :natani:

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#17 Post by tony1695 »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:15 pm Fair point, but did anyone have a sword last we knew? All Lynn brought was a couple of daggers, and Clovis is HUGE. It'd be like pricking someone with a thumb tack. Painful, but hardly lethal.
One of those sheathes looks too long to be for just a dagger.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Tyger42
Apprentice

#18 Post by Tyger42 »

Hmm, but having Clovis PO'd like that might be a golden opportunity for someone to break that gem. Doing so would also get Nat out of the fryer. ( Plus I'd be quite cross if Thomas goes and kills HIM off, so he's gonna be okay. Just for me, right? )

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

DragnMastralex wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:01 pm I wonder, if the dragon form Clovis is using is damaged and the power returns to Reni, will her dragon self be damaged?
I would imagine so, but I can't see her being particularly annoyed at Natani over it.

(That, and I'm guessing she's at least as good as Clovis, and quite plausibly much better, at healing magic.)

S'aaruuk
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#20 Post by S'aaruuk »

Welp...I was wrong about one thing, right about the other.

It actually was Natani that fired that bolt....I thought it was someone else.

And it actually DID do some significant damage to his face....and he's majorly pissed off about it.

Personally.....I hope that eye is gone and Clovis doesn't have the healing spell skills to repair it.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#21 Post by AmigaDragon »

Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm
DragnMastralex wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:01 pm I wonder, if the dragon form Clovis is using is damaged and the power returns to Reni, will her dragon self be damaged?
I would imagine so, but I can't see her being particularly annoyed at Natani over it.

(That, and I'm guessing she's at least as good as Clovis, and quite plausibly much better, at healing magic.)
Clovis took her power, not her body. The shapeshift was his own, using her power. Reni is (and will remain) undamaged by Natani's attack. As for healing, we haven't seen evidence yet that she knows any. She might otherwise have offered some when they were picking up Zen.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#22 Post by Bellhead »

AmigaDragon wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:19 am
Warrl wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:49 pm

Clovis took her power, not her body. The shapeshift was his own, using her power. Reni is (and will remain) undamaged by Natani's attack. As for healing, we haven't seen evidence yet that she knows any. She might otherwise have offered some when they were picking up Zen.
Then, and after the Oasis Room fight. She had more than a few nicks in her body after that, but just grimaced through them.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#23 Post by Dreamfox »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:15 pm Fair point, but did anyoneAlso, I think that *FFST* was a teleportation sound, just like Here. Remember how far away he was from Nat when he got hit? And now he's right on top of him.
If he teleported, I noticed an interesting detail. Every time he uses magic, we see some red energy around him.
Dragons are have a huge amount of magic, Keidran have none. Despite his shapeshifting, this might be cosmetic and physical, but may have not changed his magical nature.
Clovis might be working with a large, but still limited amount of magic due his Keidran nature and is not only using it up, but leaking it every time he uses it because Reni cut the connection.
Being a young Dragon Reni might need some time to recover before she can return from the mindscape, but will be fine after some rest.
Just speculating :mrgreen:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

Dreamfox wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:02 pm
Bellhead wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:15 pm Also, I think that *FFST* was a teleportation sound, just like Here. Remember how far away he was from Nat when he got hit? And now he's right on top of him.
If he teleported, I noticed an interesting detail. Every time he uses magic, we see some red energy around him.
Dragons are have a huge amount of magic, Keidran have none. Despite his shapeshifting, this might be cosmetic and physical, but may have not changed his magical nature.
Clovis might be working with a large, but still limited amount of magic due his Keidran nature and is not only using it up, but leaking it every time he uses it because Reni cut the connection.
Being a young Dragon Reni might need some time to recover before she can return from the mindscape, but will be fine after some rest.
Just speculating :mrgreen:
I doubt Reni could cut the connection without at least something happening on-screen, so I feel like that's not it. And if I recall, could be wrong, but I think we've seen magic tendrils on other characters during times of intense magic use...

But you raise an interesting point. The amulet was supposed to allow Clovis to take the power of a dragon, but Raine saw a connection between them... I wonder if that magic tether is just sapping Reni's power, feeding Clovis through the amulet? As in, maybe he's just using Reni's magic through the Flawless Crystal Amulet? It was mentioned in TDM, but Flawless crystals are mana crystals that can be drained and recharged infinitely without deteriorating. What if that amulet is just siphoning Reni's power and acting like any other mana crystal, allowing Clovis to use dragon magic as a keidran?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Vera Accalia
Traveler

#25 Post by Vera Accalia »

Please don't let Natani be killed off ;-;

The scary thing is, I can SEE that being a big plot point, and if we're going off of fictional character death signs, a lot of the red flags have shown up.

.Natani used to be bad, but has redeemed himself

.Natani has gotten very close to Keith, and his death would really effect Keith

.TDM could technically be an extended flashback, as don't we learn about Natani, Zen and Clovis in that story?

.Natani has put himself in harm's way to protect everyone, facing off against his former boss, a big part of his life.

Kyrit
Templar

#26 Post by Kyrit »

Vera Accalia wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 pm Please don't let Natani be killed off ;-;

The scary thing is, I can SEE that being a big plot point, and if we're going off of fictional character death signs, a lot of the red flags have shown up.

.TDM could technically be an extended flashback, as don't we learn about Natani, Zen and Clovis in that story?

.Natani has put himself in harm's way to protect everyone, facing off against his former boss, a big part of his life.
I feel it's not very likely we'll lose Natani here (not without first losing Keith at least). Keith already lost Laura and Alric, and almost lost Natani back on the boat which sent him spiraling. Assuming we even do see someone for here, I'd say we're more likely to lose someone that would die to protect Natani; Keith or Zen.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#27 Post by Eclipse »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:27 pm
Vera Accalia wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:43 pm Please don't let Natani be killed off ;-;

I feel it's not very likely we'll lose Natani here (not without first losing Keith at least). Keith already lost Laura and Alric, and almost lost Natani back on the boat which sent him spiraling. Assuming we even do see someone for here, I'd say we're more likely to lose someone that would die to protect Natani; Keith or Zen.
Much more likely to be Zen than Keith. Keith is the main Basitin character and driving pretty much every Basitin-related plot element, so it's difficult to imagine Tom killing him off. Zen meanwhile has less tying him to the plot, pretty much the only reason to think he might stay is because everyone assumes he's going to be in a relationship with Kathrin (and it's really too soon to think that, they've barely interacting with each other yet and haven't shown any signs of true love and affection for each other).

I've been thinking Zen might die in the big confrontation against Clovis for a while now, even before this chapter, that strikes me as a distinct possibility. A lot of drama in Natani having to deal with living without his protective big bro, the one who saved his life and mind linked with him for years. Bonus points if Clovis can threaten either Natani or Keith's life as well and manipulate the other into creating a new mind link to save their life.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#28 Post by Tornir »

If Zen dies with the link intact, could he end up sharing Nat's body?

Eclipse
Templar Master

#29 Post by Eclipse »

Tornir wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:24 am If Zen dies with the link intact, could he end up sharing Nat's body?
No one really knows except Tom, but assuming Mind Link works the way its wording implies, probably not, once one of them is dead they just cease to exist instead of crossing over into the other's body. At best Zen could continue to exist in her mindspace as a memory, but that's probably it.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by AmigaDragon »

Eclipse wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:22 pm At best Zen could continue to exist in her mindspace as a memory, but that's probably it.
I was going to say a shadow but that may just be semantics.

If, as Raine suggests, damage doesn't vanish when shape shifting, what on Clovis' natural body is broken, since he has no horns when he shifts back?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen