Comic for Feburary 1, 2023: Madelyn Mind Games

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse
Templar Master

Comic for Feburary 1, 2023: Madelyn Mind Games

#1 Post by Eclipse »

As expected, Maddie is looking for an opportunity to sneak up on Clovis, but he seems to be using Reni's telepathy to see it coming. Oof, this isn't looking good for the cast, he's starting to take them down one by one.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

Re: Comic for Feburary 1, 2023: Madelyn Mind Games

#2 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Karen saved Maddie?

I ship it, but... Will Karen even survive this? I mean, I guess we can only hope everyone has some form of plot armor.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

ibneko

#3 Post by ibneko »

I'm sure Karen will survive. She has comic-relief character plot armor.

I'm betting Clovis doesn't quite have a proper grasp of Reni's magic yet and everything he casts is going to be some transformation spell or other. I'm kinda expecting that spell to interact badly with the Keidran ears that Trace cursed her with. Maybe butterfly wings on her butt or something absurd like that.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#4 Post by Eclipse »

Yeah, I doubt anyone's dying at this point in the chapter. Probably just comic relief magical transformations/curses to establish how dangerous Clovis is. And Red and Karen probably aren't likely to be characters they'd kill off, they have unresolved character arcs and they'd better benefit other characters alive than dead.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#5 Post by jacobc62 »

Plot twist: Not only will the blast not hit either Karen or Maddie, but even if it were on target, it would've hit Maddie irregardless since Karen as it turns out jumped in front of her too early.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah. No way Clovis is going to take Maddie seriously enough to use insta-death fire magic on her. It's got to be some sort of transformation magic... Probably something dumb, which would suit Karen quite well.

The question is, did Karen get in front to save her, or did she do it knowing that? Either would make sense at this point...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#7 Post by IHeartMaeve »

I also just noticed that Maddie still has that desire to prove her own worth. I thought that talking about it to Karen would help diminish that; guess I was wrong.

In any case, I am now getting the feeling that this might make it worse, as this would make two occasions where Maddie failed to protect her new friend.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Eclipse
Templar Master

#8 Post by Eclipse »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 pm I also just noticed that Maddie still has that desire to prove her own worth. I thought that talking about it to Karen would help diminish that; guess I was wrong.
I mean, all Karen did to address that was hug her. As heartwarming and comforting as that moment was, I think all she took from that was that she has a non-Basitin friend that values her. I don't think her motivations changed at all.

Now when she says she wants to be seen as "a worthy Adelaide" I don't think she necessarily means she wants to be King someday, even before that scene in the dungeon she's already accepted that she won't be her mother. She's trying to "prove her worth" in the sense that she can be an effective Basitin warrior in her own way so she isn't just seen as a reject. That's what she's trying to do here, by using her stealth to take the amulet she can depower Clovis and win the battle quickly.
IHeartMaeve wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:04 pm In any case, I am now getting the feeling that this might make it worse, as this would make two occasions where Maddie failed to protect her new friend.
Probably, that can't be good for her self-esteem.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#9 Post by Tornir »

Hmmm...
Thinking back to this page, anyone considered the possibility of defeating Clovis by killing Reni?

Warrl
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Warrl »

My guess: Clovis' thrown spell is either a size-change or a species-change.

(Imagine if Karen were turned into a human...)

Eclipse
Templar Master

#11 Post by Eclipse »

Tornir wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:15 pm Hmmm...
Thinking back to this page, anyone considered the possibility of defeating Clovis by killing Reni?
Wait, WHAT? No, no one wants to consider that possibility except as an extreme last resort. Reni's their friend, they don't want to kill her if they can help it, they want to free her from Clovis' control. And I don't think Tom is going to create that possibility either, I think there's more he wants to do with Reni and he'll create another way for them to resolve it.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#12 Post by Hayate »

She was thinking too loud xD
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

PKJ
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#13 Post by PKJ »

Maddie either forgot that dragons can read minds (page 1074, in the comic it probably happened at most few days ago, maybe even that day) or didn't think Clovis could use this ability, even though he spoke to Natani telepathically a moment/few pages ago (though I admit, I'm not sure if we know how selective this telepathy can be).
Either way, she will have to pay for her incompetence in gathering information for a combat. I only hope not a high price.

It's also worth noticing that Red was closer to doing any harm to Clovis than Maddie.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#14 Post by tony1695 »

I think people are being a bit harsh on Maddie. Reni is her first proper experience around dragons, and it's been... less than 72 hours. Probably less than 48 hours, even. And that wasn't in any sort of situation where she was fighting against her, either. So, not much of a surprise that Clovis was able to do something that she didn't see coming. She likely assumed that dragons (or at least Reni) could only read minds if they were allowed to.

I do wonder how much Clovis knows about basitins, though. Can't imagine he'd have much exposure to them, given both the race's reclusiveness and distance from everyone else.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

nobodyforever123
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#15 Post by nobodyforever123 »

Would be funny if this is what they exploit to defeat him.

Everyone just start thinking about anything and everything. Presumably he can hear/speak telepathically just fine, but can't filter them yet? (Even Reni herself seems to have trouble with that). So everyone just do the equivalent of screaming at his ears. Get him agitated enough to slip up.