Comic for Feburary 1, 2023: Madelyn Mind Games

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BigNorseWolf
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Clovis

Re: Comic for Feburary 1, 2023: Madelyn Mind Games

#16 Post by BigNorseWolf »

So teeny tiny little bastian or shrunk kitten bastian? Either would be adorable...

Starcat5
Citizen

#17 Post by Starcat5 »

PKJ wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:38 am It's also worth noticing that Red was closer to doing any harm to Clovis than Maddie.
Well of course! He has an advantage that the others don't: He doesn't think before he acts! Clovis doesn't have the advantage of knowing what Red will do before he does it! :redhair:

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#18 Post by Tornir »

If that is a transformation spell, and Karen gets hit, could she be turned into a keidran with human ears?

Warrl
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Warrl »

I can't see a reason for Clovis to throw a spell that specific at Maddie. Turn into a keidran, sure. Turn into a human, sure. Turn into a keidran with human ears - wuh?

One thing I'm thinking is that while Clovis is using their own spell-casting knowledge with Reni's magic power (and ability to cast without crystals), Reni is inside there watching. So she could be learning quite a lot about how to do magic, very quickly. She'll probably come out of this knowing what she need to know to undo anything annoying (but not actually destructive) Clovis does, such as transformations.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#20 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Starcat5 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:35 pm
PKJ wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:38 am It's also worth noticing that Red was closer to doing any harm to Clovis than Maddie.
Well of course! He has an advantage that the others don't: He doesn't think before he acts! Clovis doesn't have the advantage of knowing what Red will do before he does it! :redhair:
So what you're saying is, if we combined Maddie's potential angle of attack with Red's strategy (or lack thereof), we might've gotten a shorter battle.

Is that what you're implying?
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Starcat5
Citizen

#21 Post by Starcat5 »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:32 pm So what you're saying is, if we combined Maddie's potential angle of attack with Red's strategy (or lack thereof), we might've gotten a shorter battle.

I know as well as anyone that pure text has trouble conveying tone. That said, your post reads as confrontational. Aggressively so. As such I am just going to assume that the stated question is rhetorical and move on. :shock:

PKJ
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#22 Post by PKJ »

Starcat5 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:06 am
I know as well as anyone that pure text has trouble conveying tone. That said, your post reads as confrontational. Aggressively so. As such I am just going to assume that the stated question is rhetorical and move on. :shock:
I am not great at getting implied messages and I agree that it's hard to get emotions from that kind of text right, but I don't think it was confrontational, let alone aggresive. :wink:
IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:32 pm So what you're saying is, if we combined Maddie's potential angle of attack with Red's strategy (or lack thereof), we might've gotten a shorter battle.

I'm not sure if this was directed at me, but I wasn't implying that and I think neither Starcat5 did. All I did was implying that Red acted a bit stupid. :| Nevertheless, that's an interesting point you've made here. :wink:

We still have to wait to see what could've made this battle shorter, though when I think about it, sometimes one of the possible thing to do when fighting a strategist (especially one that can read minds) may be to act thoughtless, not stupid. Instinctually ( :keith: ?) unpredictably, chaotically (yes, :karen: ) or otherwise.

We're talking about a comic here, let's not be so uptight. Easy. :wink:

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#23 Post by IHeartMaeve »

PKJ wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:32 pm I am not great at getting implied messages and I agree that it's hard to get emotions from that kind of text right, but I don't think it was confrontational, let alone aggresive. :wink:
PKJ's right. I was just trying to pop a joke at the implications of the two attack angles being combined.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

I read all that and thought, "Together as ONE! Basitin infiltration skills, combined with a lack of thinking!" All told, though, I saw that it reads as confrontational, but I could tell it wasn't meant to be. Yeah, word choice can be a pain, sometimes.

That said, I think it might be something to think about, that he's relying on mind reading to tell what people are doing, planning, etc. There was an episode of Kung Fu Panda, the TV version, where a character develops mind-reading abilities, and goes to somebody who supposedly knows about this issue. The guy the character goes to immediately has the thought, "Don't think about the thought-blocking helmet", to which the character immediately puts it on. Turned out to be a trap. It wouldn't work quite the same way here, but a similar tactic just might give them the upper hand.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#25 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So Karen heart is on the right place so at least she is trying?

Maddie... well she has the tactical skills but her heart is definitely in the wrong place. At least she may start fighting to protect her friends instead of proving herself to a bunch of goats who i do not think care either way. would be nice development for both,
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#26 Post by Hulk10 »

So many of the older male Eastern Basitins are just arrogant jerks who really need to lighten up and accept that times change. Although change is hard frankly. But still the Eastern Generals need an attitude adjustment.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#27 Post by Bellhead »

Hulk10 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:35 am So many of the older male Eastern Basitins are just arrogant jerks who really need to lighten up and accept that times change. Although change is hard frankly. But still the Eastern Generals need an attitude adjustment.
Just keep in mind, the three highest generals were all killed mere days before Maddie left the island, and I'm quite sure she was already mid-infiltration to Keith's group since before that. And need I remind you of This? "HOW DARE YOU BLASPHEME THE LAW!" is a pretty clear indication of where their ideals come from. For military-types like them, Jade Adelaide is probably the only one among the Eastern Basitin who could even THINK about changing that. And, judging by how ridiculously strict they are with rules, there's not a single one that would accept her ability as an "Adelaide".

For something to really change, their entire society would have to change as a whole, and that's not happening. Keep in mind, they don't compare her to an average Basitin, they compare her to her mother, the woman who tipped over a stone tower, by HAND. Woman's one hell of a warrior. By comparison, Maddie is small for her size, agile, and skilled at infiltration. She literally can't become a worthy "Adelaide" in the eyes of the other generals. Capable warrior, sure.. maybe... But an Adelaide? Not happening. Honestly, if recognition is what she really wants, then leaving the island really was her only choice. She was... rather constrained by that environment.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#28 Post by Hulk10 »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 am
Hulk10 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:35 am So many of the older male Eastern Basitins are just arrogant jerks who really need to lighten up and accept that times change. Although change is hard frankly. But still the Eastern Generals need an attitude adjustment.
Just keep in mind, the three highest generals were all killed mere days before Maddie left the island, and I'm quite sure she was already mid-infiltration to Keith's group since before that. And need I remind you of This? "HOW DARE YOU BLASPHEME THE LAW!" is a pretty clear indication of where their ideals come from. For military-types like them, Jade Adelaide is probably the only one among the Eastern Basitin who could even THINK about changing that. And, judging by how ridiculously strict they are with rules, there's not a single one that would accept her ability as an "Adelaide".

For something to really change, their entire society would have to change as a whole, and that's not happening. Keep in mind, they don't compare her to an average Basitin, they compare her to her mother, the woman who tipped over a stone tower, by HAND. Woman's one hell of a warrior. By comparison, Maddie is small for her size, agile, and skilled at infiltration. She literally can't become a worthy "Adelaide" in the eyes of the other generals. Capable warrior, sure.. maybe... But an Adelaide? Not happening. Honestly, if recognition is what she really wants, then leaving the island really was her only choice. She was... rather constrained by that environment.
Oh indeed. But I wasn't just thinking about Maddie. I was also thinking about how they treated Keith. Thank goodness Jade Adelaide was more reasonable.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#29 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:51 am

Maddie is basically a how to on how to give you daugther mommy issues.

Keith is basically everything Maddie wants to be, sans greek tragedy life, a self made man away from her strict society that would never let her be something more than a failed adelaide. Someone who took the law burned and came out better from it, at least in her eyes, he did not see when Keith was an angery endy boi. For similar reasons she had a crush on him.

But yeah part of Maddies growth is, i hope, stop doing things to impress the basitin brass and more for her own motives.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#30 Post by Thomas Rot »

Second cliffhanger in a row! For some reason half of my mind expects the Trace events to intersect with this mess imminently and resolve some things that way, assuming the timelines work out. Hopefully not but wow I wouldn't want to be handling the immediate aftermath of that last panel if I were a writer.

(Tom posted the next page while this was posting… time to go read! Laters.)

Anyway, it occurred to me that Clovis might be able to mind-read, but Reni couldn't understand what the wolves were saying in an unfamiliar language. Neither Clovis nor Reni know Basitin. If/when Maddie gets away she ought to try and get to Keith and Lynn immediately — they might actually be able to come up with a plan without Clovis knowing about it if they all communicate. I don't think anyone else in the room with them knows Basitin. Unfortunately that includes Nat…