Comic for December 2, 2022: Power Overwhelming

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for December 2, 2022: Power Overwhelming

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for December 2, 2022: Power Overwhelming

#2 Post by tony1695 »

So whatever's happening is unquestionably a bad thing. The only question now is what that bad thing is, exactly.

Judging by the page's name, a Keidran's body simply cannot hold a full dragon's entire mana pool, even with an external reserve. Not surprising for a species that cannot safely use their internal mana to power spells. The big question, then, is what happens when you overload a body with an entire dragon's worth of mana. There's a draconic silhouette around Clovis, so... is Clovis gonna become a dragon? Some horrible, malformed monstrosity? Wouldn't be the first one this chapter. Even if he maintains a mostly Keidran form, I wouldn't be surprised if his body fails at some point. But he's definitely gonna last long enough to cause problems.

Alternatively... I think I remember somewhere that Nora explained that dragons are magic, mana given flesh, or something close to it. With that in mind, could Clovis now have a second personality in his head? Maybe even completely override his mind? Or an entirely new personality, with no knowledge of what the body's former occupant ever did?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#3 Post by Tornir »

So Clovis may mutate, or become possessed, or suffer a core breach (how long do the party have to reach minimum safe distance?). That cry seems to be more pain than triumph.

What about Reni though?
If dragons are mana given flesh, removing it all is not going to go well for her. Remember Nora flaked out after being partially drained by the exploding tower.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:37 am Alternatively... I think I remember somewhere that Nora explained that dragons are magic, mana given flesh, or something close to it.
Tornir wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:56 am If dragons are mana given flesh, removing it all is not going to go well for her. Remember Nora flaked out after being partially drained by the exploding tower.
Unfortunately, we dragons are creatures of magic. It fed on my life while I was looking for you.

It seems that dragons aren't simply magic given flesh, but rather, creatures whose life force is magic itself. Normal energy is used as blue mana, normal life force is black or forbidden mana. I'd be willing to bet that a Dragon's life force is a different type of mana entirely... possibly something that would poison Clovis from the inside, just like Trace back on the island.

I'll also chime on the mana capacity note... The balance between the races, if I remember the Professor Raine sketch, was that Humans have limited casting speed but draw mana from the ground making them more prone to dark magic, Keidran require crystals but can cast faster making them more prone to mana burn, and Basitin lack all magic, but are gifted with extreme physical endurance. But as far as actual magic capacity goes, I don't think there's a notable difference between Humans and Keidran.

Also,
Karen wrote:Bleh~ :heart:
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#5 Post by Thomas Rot »

Gotta comment on the important things first.. Lynn's back!

And apparently completely unaware that there was even a beach party, let alone multiple intruders and explosions and attempted assassinations. If we are to believe that telling that's very uncharacteristic of him. Not that Tom has much choice after writing him out of the story for four years.. But yeah, he's definitely more aware of what's going on than he lets on, he just came from the direction of the oasis room after all. There's no way he hasn't investigated that living breathing crime scene to death by now. Wonder if the return of his speech impediment has anything to do with all this (in honour of which I am exclusively using the two full stops instead of the ellipsis..)

Clovis' body finally makes a reappearance. Reminder that it's recently been in close quarters with that giant fireball that fired and fried Roan's egg and took out the manor floor. So that's something. I am not sure why my first thought seeing that panel was "magical girl transformation" but there seems to be a chance that might turn out quite literal in his case if the magic doesn't simply blow him out like a fuse.

Karen is enjoying the light show. Very nice.
Tornir wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:56 am (how long do the party have to reach minimum safe distance?)
Not that this will happen anyway unless Tom brings the explosives up ahead of schedule.. but "minimum safe distance" by structurally destabilised building standards is probably unreachable for them. In theory the nearest exit you'd want for that is the front door, which is on the other side of the foyer from Keidran Fawkes in front of them, since they appear not to have budged from just out of the corridor leading back to the oasis room.

Except that one of the physical markers for that should be the dead wolf body in front of Nat and Keith which has conveniently disappeared and this place has several more windows than seems plausible. So maybe everyone's turned round a quarter turn or gone further toward the kitchen or something and these measurements are all off. I suppose going back to the oasis room is always an option, can't get any more destroyed than that place..

Eclipse
Templar Master

#6 Post by Eclipse »

Lynn, you're alive! Yeah, seems a bit careless to assume that was just training, you should've at least checked what was going on to make sure no one was in danger.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:01 pm Lynn, you're alive! Yeah, seems a bit careless to assume that was just training, you should've at least checked what was going on to make sure no one was in danger.
To be fair, with Basitin hearing, he probably heard them screaming about what was happening. Certainly wouldn't surprise me. He wasn't even at breakfast, far as I know.. Last we saw him was last night. Which reminds me, he might have used his position as personal messenger to "happen" to hear Keith and Natani in the same room.. Wonder if that will come up.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Warrl »

Which reminds me, he might have used his position as personal messenger to "happen" to hear Keith and Natani in the same room.. Wonder if that will come up.
If the King is as observant as she appeared to be, I suspect he has orders something like this: "There may be an improper emotional relationship between the Ambassador-General and that Keidran, Natani. Make damn sure you never observe any evidence of it, no matter how hard you have to squint."

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#9 Post by tony1695 »

Warrl wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:46 pm
Which reminds me, he might have used his position as personal messenger to "happen" to hear Keith and Natani in the same room.. Wonder if that will come up.
If the King is as observant as she appeared to be, I suspect he has orders something like this: "There may be an improper emotional relationship between the Ambassador-General and that Keidran, Natani. Make damn sure you never observe any evidence of it, no matter how hard you have to squint."
"I did not see any inappropriate contact between the Ambassador-General and his Keidran companion."
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

tony1695 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:58 pm
Warrl wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:46 pm
"I did not see any inappropriate contact between the Ambassador-General and his Keidran companion."
I 'spect it would more have been along the lines of, "He's the Ambassador General; an expert on foreign culture who has been in foreign lands for years, adapting to their way of life. Try not to blow a gasket when you see it."

But of course, I'm reminded of This little gem from a while back. Any Basidian Basitin would be far off-put by simply being in the presence of typical Keidran culture...

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#11 Post by stlsf4003 »

Whelp looks like Clovis is about to (graphically) reenact the Chornobyl failure.

If Tom does indeed go that route, I'd say that the main cast has about 20 seconds or less to clear the manor itself before Clovis goes critical.
the lurking furry railroader

Eclipse
Templar Master

#12 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:09 pm I 'spect it would more have been along the lines of, "He's the Ambassador General; an expert on foreign culture who has been in foreign lands for years, adapting to their way of life. Try not to blow a gasket when you see it."

But of course, I'm reminded of This little gem from a while back. Any Basidian Basitin would be far off-put by simply being in the presence of typical Keidran culture...
I suspect that King Adelaide is playing some 4D chess here. Looking at Maddie and her mischievous streak, I don't think Keith is the only East/West hybrid Basitin. Whatever happened there, I think she's in favor of loosening Basitin society's conservatism towards sex and relationships. But she doesn't just want to change the laws immediately because the people wouldn't accept it and they might lose some respect for her as their king. But by appointing Keith Ambassador General, having him travel with and ally with other races, even falling in love with Natani, I think she's hoping that would open up more communication and alliance with, and eventually acceptance of, other races and the taboos and conservatism will gradually fade away.

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#13 Post by Thomas Rot »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:19 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:01 pm Lynn, you're alive! Yeah, seems a bit careless to assume that was just training, you should've at least checked what was going on to make sure no one was in danger.
To be fair, with Basitin hearing, he probably heard them screaming about what was happening. Certainly wouldn't surprise me. He wasn't even at breakfast, far as I know.. Last we saw him was last night. Which reminds me, he might have used his position as personal messenger to "happen" to hear Keith and Natani in the same room.. Wonder if that will come up.
If the wolves in the dungeon could hear and feel Reni busting through the roof, just as the most obvious example, he definitely could.

Lynn last showed up two days ago, in fact. But Karen talked to Houdini Maddie about him at breakfast (first breakfast for team B, second for team A) so she's definitely seen him around the manor.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 pm I'll also chime on the mana capacity note... The balance between the races, if I remember the Professor Raine sketch, was that Humans have limited casting speed but draw mana from the ground making them more prone to dark magic, Keidran require crystals but can cast faster making them more prone to mana burn, and Basitin lack all magic, but are gifted with extreme physical endurance. But as far as actual magic capacity goes, I don't think there's a notable difference between Humans and Keidran.
My interpretation of Tom's explanation is that none of the three races have any significant natural magic capacity. I think of it like having different organs. The basitin have no organs that can channel magic. The keidran have organs that can channel magic, but only if it's from a concentrated source (crystals). Humans have organs that can channel magic from diffuse sources. Since humans can deplete an area of naturally accumulated magic and then keep going by draining the life out things (dark magic), either all life generates some amount of magical energy or humans have the additional ability to drain life energy and convert it to magical energy. The way dark magic literally turns things black, that life draining may be a chemical reaction leaving only carbon behind.

[/overthinking]

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15 Post by Bellhead »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:22 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 pm I'll also chime on the mana capacity note... The balance between the races, if I remember the Professor Raine sketch, was that Humans have limited casting speed but draw mana from the ground making them more prone to dark magic, Keidran require crystals but can cast faster making them more prone to mana burn, and Basitin lack all magic, but are gifted with extreme physical endurance. But as far as actual magic capacity goes, I don't think there's a notable difference between Humans and Keidran.
My interpretation of Tom's explanation is that none of the three races have any significant natural magic capacity. I think of it like having different organs. The basitin have no organs that can channel magic. The keidran have organs that can channel magic, but only if it's from a concentrated source (crystals). Humans have organs that can channel magic from diffuse sources. Since humans can deplete an area of naturally accumulated magic and then keep going by draining the life out things (dark magic), either all life generates some amount of magical energy or humans have the additional ability to drain life energy and convert it to magical energy. The way dark magic literally turns things black, that life draining may be a chemical reaction leaving only carbon behind.

[/overthinking]
The way I interpreted the idea of Mana versus Dark Mana was that normally, Mana is present in the world as a whole, as a sort of energy used to go about normal life. But when that drains, it would be like straining a muscle past its limit, causing serious and sometimes irreparable damage.

And now, theory time:
If Keidran charge their crystals naturally, by some process through nature, and use it that way, they would be far less susceptible to inadvertent use of Dark Mana. Humans, by contrast, though they can store mana in crystals (hence the towers' existence in the first place) and access it remotely, if not connected to a tower, they can drain it directly from the ground. However, that can kill nearby flora if done to the point of exhausting local Mana supply. So here's my theory: Mana is something present in their world, as a part of nature. Possibly some kind of element, possibly something entirely different, but is still something that "flows" through plants and such. And as such, when said Mana is removed, the plants which were using it to sustain themselves, die out almost instantly.

Thoughts?