Wow. That's an astonishingly skewed version of the events of
Spoiler!
The Dragon Masquerade

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for October 28, 2022: Tyrannical Tirade

#2 Post by Bellhead »

Yeah. Clovis... got a few screws loose. Looking back at TDM, Clovis was toying with people who had less than him, believing himself entitled and immune to consequence. Nora simply did the same, albeit with magic instead of mind games and blackmail. Hearing him talk like this just proves that he's beyond saving at this point.

Also, Absolutely BEAUTIFUL imagery here. The comparison between panels 2 and 3 does a phenomenal job of displaying Clovis' goals here. Very nicely done.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#3 Post by AmigaDragon »

Clovis, in what way were you innocent?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#4 Post by Elemental Templar »

AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:56 pm Clovis, in what way were you innocent?
OK... hate to sound like the "Devil's Advocate" here, but I think with the last bit of information from the third panel (and after perusing both Wikipedia and a digital College Psychology Textbook) I think it's clear that Clovis is starting to have a psychotic break.

More specifically, one resultant from Malignant Narcissism

Basically it's a mix of is that it's a mix of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, Antisocial Personality Disorder, with Sadism and/or Aggression; all things we've seen with Clovis up to this point. Furthermore, it's common in victims of rampant abuse and another telltale giveaway is the absolute disdain for criticism or thing that conflict their personal beliefs.

Note(s): I'm not a Psychologist nor am I studying to be one so please take everything here with a VERY HEFTY grain of salt. I also am not trying to make Clovis seem empathetic or justify his actions thus far.

(But if anyone is interested I wouldn't be opposed to making a discussion thread talking about Clovis' Psyche further)
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Elemental Templar wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:10 am
AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:56 pm Clovis, in what way were you innocent?
psychological snip
Well, this kinda is the place for characterization discussion... If we truly are seeing Clovis mid-psychotic break, then we could very well have an in-depth discussion on his character right here. I mean, it's been a WHILE, but we used to have 10+ PAGE discussions on Natani's pronouns alone. Spending a forum page or two discussing a villain in the middle of psychological issues is well within the range of acceptable.

But I (kinda) digress.

I took precisely one psychology class, in high school, class of 2014. So it's been a while, and we didn't cover anything remotely close to this. And unlike you, I lack the diligence to search for any relevant trusted information, so all I have are theories and such, but here goes...

Clovis loves himself. Himself, but not herself, which (as we all know pretty well by now) proves he is extremely sexist, and narcissistic. He called himself the Prince of Greed, did he not? If memory serves, that was a self-proclaimed title; which says he believed he deserved it, for whatever stupid reason he rationalized it with. And that tells me, personally, that he did/does feel more than a little entitled; likely related to the narcissism in some (probably major) way. Now, given that he was able, and was probably the only one who was able to create Nat and Zen's soul link, he's clearly pretty skilled in at least some magic areas. Couple that skill, with a love for himself, the lack of proper education of the lower class that would make up a guild of assassins or brothel members, and you get a strong recipe for a slightly skilled semi-intelligent person suddenly believing they're on top of the world, and all should bow to them. Freefall had an arc like that, too lazy to link..

That said, Most people would gain a new perspective from meeting people outside such a circle, and would either choose to integrate into the rest, or retreat firmly back to wherever they came from. He chose to fall back on his mental state, leading the guild of assassins. And being smarter and stronger than others around him of course reinforced his entitlement and narcissism to the point where his mind would be literally incapable of comprehending his own wrongdoing. As such, even when punished, and having his wrongs blatantly thrown in his face and forcefully linked to his punishment, he still cannot comprehend why he received the punishment to begin with. His mind is SOO broken. But as for an incoming mental breakdown, I can't say. He's already mid snap.. I could practically hear his nerves stretching at their breaking point.

He also seems to think that, because he clawed his way up from the bottom, that he somehow deserves all the power that ever existed, without knowing where that power truly comes from, nor what it can really do. Nor even why it was used on him. He saw something that was stronger than himself, and elected to steal it. Anyone in a situation like that is well beyond the point of, "look within your heart, and see the error of your ways" bull; he just fully buys into the belief that he's above all that.

To that end, I really hope he snaps completely, becomes a strong enough villain to attract the best warriors of the group, who all join together to vaporize him. I'd like to see THAT happen.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#6 Post by MaverickMopete »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:19 am [...]the lack of proper education of the lower class that would make up a guild of assassins or brothel members, and you get a strong recipe for a slightly skilled semi-intelligent person suddenly believing they're on top of the world, and all should bow to them. Freefall had an arc like that, too lazy to link..
That's basically the entire story of Mr. Kornada. He's so self-centered and has a massive sense of entitlement that he tries to effectively lobotomize billions of robots just so he could make lots of money.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#7 Post by Sky Shatter »

Annnnd his boobs are gone.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#8 Post by Zaigan »

Well, it's pretty rare for a person to ever view themselves as a villain.. no matter how terrible their deeds. They understand the motives and what makes it necessary.

Still, Clovis has done a lot of really awful deeds, so you think maybe he just might have had a hunch all the same.

His early childhood was likely rough. Historically, male children of brothel workers were often killed in a lot of cultures. A few were kept to help with work around the brothels, maybe if they had a diverse clientele, but raising children was expensive and they never earned the money back that a daughter would. It's entirely possible that his mother, or at least her brothel might have regretted him being male. Maybe that spared him from being a sex worker himself, but that could be the answer to why he hates women so much. Because they made him feeling being born male was a mistake he wanted to punish all women and make them feel how badly that hurt.

He basically sees himself as the tragic hero in his own life. Born with nothing in the worst of circumstances, in a brothel, his dad potentially just one of her clients? Maybe she was even a slave to the wolves already and he just sold her to someone else later, so he had no social standing... yet through his own intellect and talent he made a name for himself. He worked his way up through the criminal underbelly, but that's also just the only side of society he ever knew. He wasn't living in a picket fence world. What would be considered normal goals were likely alien to him. Everyone else was dealt a better hand than him and yet he still found himself on top with his skills. He probably didn't notice the slide into becoming the most tyrannical person... or didn't recognize tyranny as a bad thing. It was just the normal goal of his culture. Maybe he still hasn't realized that he's become worse than those who hurt him as a child. He still views himself as only trying to make a place for himself instead of recognizing the bodies that paved his path to "glory."

Nora punished him in a way that was ironic, but actually she just made him worse. Maybe she's not the benevolent, if horny force we think, or at least not perfect. If she just wanted to spare others and punish Clovis, she should have killed him... by tormenting him in a way that didn't help him work through his issues and still left him with all his power, she's only steered him to being a worse version of himself. Hopefully Reni can remedy this oversight in some way.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#9 Post by Eclipse »

Yeah sure Clovis, she cursed you for no reason at all. Nope, no reason at all. It couldn't have had anything to do with you being a misogynistic scumbag or anything.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Warrl »

Basically I believe nothing that this scumbag says - but I will often believe that HE believes it.

Particularly when it exonerates him. He's incapable of wrongdoing. If he throws a delicate piece of glasswork on the floor, its breaking is someone else's fault and proof that they are out to get him.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Bellhead »

Warrl wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:29 pm If he throws a delicate piece of glasswork on the floor, its breaking is someone else's fault and proof that they are out to get him.
Or, rather, he broke it because it was his right to, and nobody can dispute it. "It's not wrong, because I have the power to do it, so it's my right."

Guy's insane.

Also,
Zaigan wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:42 pm *Snip*

By tormenting him in a way that didn't help him work through his issues and still left him with all his power, she's only steered him to being a worse version of himself.
*Snip*
While I see your point, it's also a logical point of view to have an oppressor be stomped under their own boot for them see the error of their ways. Discounting, of course, those who find joy and pleasure in experiencing and inflicting pain. To each their own, I won't judge, but don't force it on others.

From Nora's point of view, turning him female should have forced him to live the life he'd been forcing on others, endure the hardships his actions had put on others, and cause him to change his ways and those of his followers. From Clovis' perspective, in counterpoint, she turned him into this "horrid thing" that "doesn't deserve to exist" and "shouldn't have a will of its own", and therefore his situation was something that couldn't be rectified by anything short of a gender swap. Nora simply didn't know how broken his mind was when she did that. If she did, she may well have done something differently.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#12 Post by Eclipse »

Warrl wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:29 pm Basically I believe nothing that this scumbag says - but I will often believe that HE believes it.

Particularly when it exonerates him. He's incapable of wrongdoing. If he throws a delicate piece of glasswork on the floor, its breaking is someone else's fault and proof that they are out to get him.
Yup, that's Narcissism 101 for you. Clovis can do no wrong in his own mind. He believes everything is his and will come up with whatever excuse he can to justify taking it.

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#13 Post by Cinnibar »

I can see Nora as good-humored, but hardly nice.

Looking at what she did to Clovis, not to mention Mike, she does use her powers as she will. And let's not forget, if we're ascribing some 'teaching' she was intending for Clovis, how poorly she helped rein in Templar Trace when he needed it most.

Her priorities are not what we would expect.

BigNorseWolf
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Clovis

#14 Post by BigNorseWolf »

Bellhead wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:06 pm Yeah. Clovis... got a few screws loose. Looking back at TDM, Clovis was toying with people who had less than him, believing himself entitled and immune to consequence. Nora simply did the same, albeit with magic instead of mind games and blackmail. Hearing him talk like this just proves that he's beyond saving at this point.

Also, Absolutely BEAUTIFUL imagery here. The comparison between panels 2 and 3 does a phenomenal job of displaying Clovis' goals here. Very nicely done.
I think the power gem he's using on his cloak to pull this off has some... side effects. They might be redeemable or at least have some remorse after they sort his brain out from whatever that thing is doing.

multilis
Citizen

#15 Post by multilis »

Poor innocent Clovis was born in brothel with nothing, and used his wits and strength to earned his princedom over the lazy, and this lazy dragon born with silver spoon in her mouth uses her power to throw him down again, make him just another female who uses her body to whore her up, rather than earn way up like a man.

Innocence is using what you are given to claw your way up to your rightful place (superior drive and wit earn the role of prince). Guilty is to be so lazy to not earn your spot up, and to buck against the authority of your master prince. If all you are is a minnon then when prince says jump, you should jump, and ask "how high?"

If those on top like dragons don't earn their spot then the innocent prince is obligated to take their power as he is more wroty to wield it than them. Power belongs to the fittest.