Theory on immortality

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

Theory on immortality

#1 Post by Hulk10 »

I'm thinking that part of the reason no magic user has succeeded in finding immortality may be because they have not thought about the aging process.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Warrl
Grand Templar

Re: Theory on immortality

#2 Post by Warrl »

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 am I'm thinking that part of the reason no magic user has succeeded in finding immortality may be because they have not thought about the aging process.
I remember reading a comic, years ago, where Merlin (of Arthurian legend) had been granted immortality - but not eternal youth. As of the time of the comic he was a few hundred years old, and looked it.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

The other possible problem, as explained in Gulliver's Travels, is that although your body may not age, parts of it still can. Spoilers: In a room full of ageless people, who drink from a sacred fountain of youth and are hundreds if not thousands of years old, nobody can see because their eyes failed hundreds of years ago.

The biggest problem with figuring out immortality, even from a magic perspective, is that certain body parts such as the eyes, brain, heart, etc., have a set lifespan. Brain cells, for instance, never reproduce after age 25 or so. From that point on, you can learn and forget, but the brain cells you use to do it will always be the same cells. Same with the heart muscle, if I recall. Even if somebody managed to figure out a way to stop the aging of skin and bones, or to increase the limits of what a body is designed to handle, parts of it will still be limited universally, and that won't change.

"Magic can do many things, but even it has its limits."
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#4 Post by Hulk10 »

True but I have a hunch that that is what the masks intended. And by aging I meant the whole body, every part of it........ Have you read the Inheritence Cycle by Paolini? The elves and dragons in that series are biologically immortal in that they do not age. But they can die of disease or injury. Without aging your body can theoretically last forever barring dangerous illness and injury.

Also remember the Immortal Jellyfish.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.