Comic for May 28, 2022: Saria and Trace pt2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for May 28, 2022: Saria and Trace pt2

#1 Post by Bellhead »

I'm really glad that happened. Because it really needed to. But now we have Old Trace's reactions from it...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

Re: Comic for May 28, 2022: Saria and Trace pt2

#2 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Geh! That expression in the bottom right isn't just getting Old Trace. I'm feeling the sting of it as well. And I don't even have any real reason to! Tom's just that good at this!
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#3 Post by Bojack727 »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 11:29 pm Geh! That expression in the bottom right isn't just getting Old Trace. I'm feeling the sting of it as well. And I don't even have any real reason to! Tom's just that good at this!
I hear you. At first, I was like "DAMN! That's cold-blooded!" But someone HAD to say this! Trace has managed to avoid the consequences of his previous actions for a long time, and so Saria's condemnation of him was cruel but warranted. While I don't believe that the Trace we know is accountable for the actions of his previous self, there was no way that he could go on avoiding the emotional/psychological fallout forever, and we have to see where things go from here- in the wake of Trace receiving this metaphorical slap to the face in the midst of this epic condemnation from Saria! Good luck, everyone, it's anyone's guess for what's going to happen from here on out.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#4 Post by Hayate »

Oh dear… I hope that doesn’t awaken anything in him…
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#5 Post by Cosmacelf »

Hayate wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:09 am Oh dear… I hope that doesn’t awaken anything in him…
Hopefully it kills that part of him.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#6 Post by BadFoMo »

I don't have much to say other than I love this! I don't think 'beautifully tragic' is the right phrase, but that's what I think I could call this.

I remember in the original page sketch (it was split into this page and the last one) we got to see Old/Corrupted Trace's eyes. There was a look of fear/surprise that's missing here; he looks more angry with Saria now.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

IHeartMaeve
Templar

#7 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Also, I'd like to touch on the fact that Saria somehow changed Maren's hair color to her own for this scene at least.

That or, seeing as Trace randomly gets a longer hairstyle at the same time, it's just a symbolic touch on Tom's part. Either way, does anyone else find it the least bit odd?
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Kyrit
Templar

#8 Post by Kyrit »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:42 am Also, I'd like to touch on the fact that Saria somehow changed Maren's hair color to her own for this scene at least.

That or, seeing as Trace randomly gets a longer hairstyle at the same time, it's just a symbolic touch on Tom's part. Either way, does anyone else find it the least bit odd?
I'd say we're not seeing the physical bodies in those last panels. Instead we're seeing spirit of Saria connecting with the what remains dormant of old Trace within him. After all, Trace also wasn't wearing a long sleeve shirt, but in recent flashbacks Old Trace did. They also have slight different haircolors, which can be seen

IHeartMaeve
Templar

#9 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Kyrit wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:58 am
IHeartMaeve wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:42 am Also, I'd like to touch on the fact that Saria somehow changed Maren's hair color to her own for this scene at least.

I'd say we're not seeing the physical bodies in those last panels. Instead we're seeing spirit of Saria connecting with the what remains dormant of old Trace within him. After all, Trace also wasn't wearing a long sleeve shirt
... There is that.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Hayate wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:09 am Oh dear… I hope that doesn’t awaken anything in him…
That's what I'm afraid of. It seems to me that Saria calling out Old Trace on his wrongdoings, having been revived, and soon to be unrevived, would strike a chord with him. More than likely, enough to cause Old Trace to try to take control out of sheer rage. He was pretty twisted, after all... It's possible even Saria's words spoken directly to his soul wouldn't even be enough to make him regret what he's done.

EDIT: Also, is it just me, or do Saria's last two speech bubbles not make sense grammatically?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#11 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 1:29 am EDIT: Also, is it just me, or do Saria's last two speech bubbles not make sense grammatically?
Nah it seems to be grammatically correct.

That sentence is supposed to break down like this:

I only hope that
1. the man who are now is willing to undo some of the damage left behind
2. what you became after I died never comes back

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#12 Post by jacobc62 »

Kyrit wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 12:58 am They also have slight different haircolors, which can be seen
And tattoo colors! Dark!Trace's being a slightly less saturated, more blueish color than the bright cyan of Current!Trace.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Tiennos
Citizen

#13 Post by Tiennos »

I guess old Trace needed to hear that, but damn, that's brutal. I kinda feel bad for him.
I'm adorable !

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#14 Post by Rasol »

Tiennos wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 11:40 pm I guess old Trace needed to hear that, but damn, that's brutal. I kinda feel bad for him.
I don't. Old Trace's madness and despair led him to torture, murder, and even genocide.

The man she loved died with her, and what was left was broken on a fundamental level. This also explains exactly why Saria tried to hide so much from him when they met. What if he remembered? What if he fell to madness again? New Trace might not be the man she loved, but compared to the monster he became when she died? Still an improvement. I can see why she would prefer he remain ignorant of his past.

The amnesia was the best possible outcome for him, but it doesn't wash away his sins either. At the end of the day, Fallen Trace did a lot of damage, and SOMEBODY is going to have to fix it. Given the power of many of his former cohorts, there also aren't a lot of other options that are even qualified to stand up to the corrupt templar at this point.

Vera Accalia
Traveler

#15 Post by Vera Accalia »

OUCH! Needed, but yeah, ouch.

I honestly think Trace needed to hear this, as if old Trace was capable of trying to bring Saria back, I feel new Trace is capable of it as well if anything happens to Flora. Hopefully this hits home and solidifies that neither would want that.

Also, really hoping this doesn't snap old Trace to the forefront. Do we really know what causes old Trace to surface? Could emotional trauma bring him out?