Comic for May 9, 2022: Saria in Maren

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for May 9, 2022: Saria in Maren

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Panther
Merchant

Re: Comic for May 9, 2022: Saria in Maren

#2 Post by Panther »

What happens to Rose ? "Ghosting" ?
Man is a wolf for man ........ Don't insult the wolves :natani:

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#3 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Welp. I dunno about you people, but it seems that Rose may end up unable to continue Raine's training, judging solely by her appearance right now.

Random theory: maybe Euchre will consider dropping by and taking over the transformation training, considering that Trace seems less than intent on returning. Or, alternatively, there may be a family member or two in Lyn'knoll to help complete the training. Or if all else fails, self-teaching.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

I think it's a rather well-done scene, to have Trace and Sythe fight over Maren's body. I wonder if that was Old Trace coming back partially, defending Saria, or if that was just Trace snapping at Sythe for yelling at somebody who's gone through so much.

Also, very nice to know that Saria not only fully accepts her fate, but openly states that she won't let Maren go. She's quite a character, even if a bit stagnant with no growth potential. I feel that her legacy will live far longer than she does. Though I do wonder what Maren's point of view is, right now... Does she see everything? Does she experience it? And what's her reaction to Sythe going to be, seeing him fighting so hard for her?

I like how this is progressing. So many times, there's the whole "big major fight scene", followed by "Everything is fine now! Toodles!" and I'm glad Tom didn't just do that. Not that I thought he would, but I'm glad that even after the Eldrich abomination was defeated, there's still conflict, with a clear path to resolution. It leads to a much more concrete and definitive conclusion.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#5 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:26 pm I like how this is progressing. So many times, there's the whole "big major fight scene", followed by "Everything is fine now! Toodles!" and I'm glad Tom didn't just do that. Not that I thought he would, but I'm glad that even after the Eldrich abomination was defeated, there's still conflict, with a clear path to resolution. It leads to a much more concrete and definitive conclusion.
You mean a conclusion to the ritual or the events as a whole? Because the fighting isn't over in the estate in general, just the conflict over the ritual. As far as we know, Clovis is still roaming around in Reni's mind and Brahn is waiting around to capture Trace.

Also I do wonder how long Saria is going to hang around. Is it just a few pages to say her goodbyes or is she going to be inhabiting Maren's body while they're fighting Clovis and Brahn?

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#6 Post by Hulk10 »

It was a rather well done scene even Saria never got to fully live her life....... But its a necessary scene.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#7 Post by jacobc62 »

Bellhead wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:26 pm I wonder if that was Old Trace coming back partially, defending Saria, or if that was just Trace snapping at Sythe for yelling at somebody who's gone through so much.
'lil bit of column A, 'lil bit of column B?

To be fair to Sythe though, he does have a point. This whole ordeal was started due to Trace's possessive obsession with Saria and not being able to let go after her death.

.... Internet Cookie to the person to can name me a character from a leading film franchise that shares that character flaw.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#8 Post by Elemental Templar »

jacobc62 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:35 am
Bellhead wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:26 pm I wonder if that was Old Trace coming back partially, defending Saria, or if that was just Trace snapping at Sythe for yelling at somebody who's gone through so much.
'lil bit of column A, 'lil bit of column B?

To be fair to Sythe though, he does have a point. This whole ordeal was started due to Trace's possessive obsession with Saria and not being able to let go after her death.

.... Internet Cookie to the person to can name me a character from a leading film franchise that shares that character flaw.
I said this ages ago but my first thought was Imhotep from The Mummy (1999)

As for Sythe and Traces Reaction, I think it's more the latter from Bellhead's Statement. As this is the both second time Saria's witnessed a horror brought about from Trace's actions and likewise the second time she's been called back from the dead.

But Sythe's freaking out here I think is more the fact that this isn't the first time Trace's actions have affected him in some way... in fact, he's been in the background of a good chunk of Traces' (direct or indirect) actions from his time as the Grand Templar

1. He couldn't interact with his human friends anymore due to the newly enforced Border Restrictions

2. The aforementioned restrictions likely led to an increase in Canine Keidren engaging in Slave hunting, which would've been all the more crushing to his dreams of being a diplomat.

3. His engagement with Flora fell through because the wolves thought she was kidnapped/killed, and when he found out she wasn't she went along with Trace anyway So...

4. His Uncle, the Grand Duke, sent him to the front lines of a Human-Keidren War that he was hoping to avoid (and thanks to Karen ended up being branded a traitor by his own people)

and now

5. He and a bunch of innocent people were in an inescapable deathtrap situation, and Seemingly his new love interest was 'killed' ; both events due to the selfishness of Past Trace.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some kind of interaction in the epilogue of this chapter where Sythe confronts Trace about his past actions, claiming that even in spite of everything that's gone on; he still won't trust nor will he forgive Trace for anything he's done.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

RowanEx
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#9 Post by RowanEx »

Had to log in after years of lurking and doing stuff and looking at things just to finally comment on this.

Has anyone noticed that Maren's Saria-possessed eyes are turning from yellow to a dull red?
~~~()~~~
Rowan Ex

furcode: FFfm2adfrw A C- D H++ M- P R+ T+++ W Z- Sm RLU a- clmn++ d- e- f+ h+ iwf++ j++ p- sm-

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

Eclipse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:05 pm You mean a conclusion to the ritual or the events as a whole?
Just the ritual, specifically, but in truth I meant from a storytelling perspective. I just feel like stories end up more resolved when there's still conflict after the fight is over. Counter intuitive though it may be.
Elemental Templar wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:46 am snip
Hmm. I think I disagree with your reasoning.

True, a lot of Sythe's problems do stem from old Trace's actions, but most of your reasons relate to the course of the war. His most direct interactions to Trace were when Flora protected him EARLY on, the fiasco at the tavern, the meetup with Reni, and right now.

All Sythe really knows about old Trace's actions, aside from public knowledge from the war, is what he just heard in this room: Old Trace, and later Detritus, tried to kill Maren in order to resurrect Saria. As such, everything affecting Maren here was and is, completely, solely and utterly, the fault of Trace, and him alone. One single person to blame, who's clearly at fault, and is standing right there. And, from Sythe's point of view, said person is responsible for the death of his crush.

Too lazy to add links because mobile and 11:30 pm local time.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#11 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

HA!!! CALLED IT!!!!
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

multilis
Citizen

#12 Post by multilis »

It may not be over, of course Saria does not wish to stay, but not clear how soon she can leave. Maren is likely grateful to Saria so might not mind having her as guest for a while, and we've got ghost Rose as well.

So we could have the standard Saria and Rose leave together, or some alternative for a while like 2 (or even 3 with Rose invited in to help untangle the mess) people in one body.

The whole cooperation of Saria/Marem serves as a foil for Clovis forcing himself on Reni.

And some other party may try to keep Saria trapped in Reni to bring out the old Trace.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#13 Post by Hulk10 »

multilis wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:59 pm It may not be over, of course Saria does not wish to stay, but not clear how soon she can leave. Maren is likely grateful to Saria so might not mind having her as guest for a while, and we've got ghost Rose as well.

So we could have the standard Saria and Rose leave together, or some alternative for a while like 2 (or even 3 with Rose invited in to help untangle the mess) people in one body.

The whole cooperation of Saria/Marem serves as a foil for Clovis forcing himself on Reni.

And some other party may try to keep Saria trapped in Reni to bring out the old Trace.
I hope that some other party doesn't try to do that.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#14 Post by Bellhead »

multilis wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:59 pm It may not be over, of course Saria does not wish to stay, but not clear how soon she can leave. Maren is likely grateful to Saria so might not mind having her as guest for a while, and we've got ghost Rose as well.
Hang on. What if...

Rose knows the Estate, and it's soul forge's function, better than any other currently living entity, even New Trace. She might even know a way to have Saria's soul, at least for a while, merged with her own body.

What if Rose merged with Saria, in Rose's body? Given what's been happening around the Estate, it's likely the place won't last long, and it would be pretty poetic to have both of these characters finally die for the last time, together.

Bojack727
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#15 Post by Bojack727 »

Well now, this particular thread seems to playing out about as good as I could have possibly hoped for.

While it looks like Maren is going to be okay, I can kind of understand Sythe's outrage. I mean, Past Trace was pretty dammed evil. And I guess, that really speaks to the strange aspect of Trace- the fact that he really was (and to some degree, still is) two different Characters. After all, he was fully prepared to snuff out Maren as part of this unholy plan!

But then, "our" Trace is sweet and kind, and values life, and I think the fact that he fully realizes and accepts the fact that he was once an evil person is one of things that makes him one of the more interesting characters I've seen in a long time.