The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Comic for December 25, 2021: Forgiveness

#1 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Comic for December 25, 2021: Forgiveness
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

Re: Comic for December 25, 2021: Forgiveness

#2 Post by Rafe »

That "Honestly, I half expected to pass right through you", and "...this is the first time I've actually felt someone since Saria died" are interesting comments. I wonder whether Rose has exiisted only as a projection since then, and all of a sudden, she's not. In other words, what they're seeing (and feeling) is the real Rose. It could be that she has been freed from her magic constraints (maybe due to Trace's "freeing" her restrictions), and is now just Rose, not some half-ghost projection running the estate.

I'm wondering what powers and abilities she still has. Also wondering if any of this will lead to her losing her longevity. She may have had to give up her artificially long life to free herself.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Rafe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:49 am That "Honestly, I half expected to pass right through you" and "This is the first time I've actually felt someone since Saria died" are interesting comments. I wonder whether Rose has exiisted only as a projection since then, and all of a sudden, she's not. In other words, what they're seeing (and feeling) is the real Rose.
First sentence was Trace. Second i suppose Rose projection is/was physical but she has likelyt touched no one since Saria died.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#4 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Onion cutting ninjas are out in force today it seems.
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

Warrl
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Warrl »

There is definitely at least one prior occasion when Rose handled - direct physical contact - an object which someone else also handled: she brought Reni a coffee cup. (I remembered that because on a previous occasion I wondered if such a thing had happened, and that was at that time the only such instance. I think there have been more since then but don't specifically remember any.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Warrl wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:27 am There is definitely at least one prior occasion when Rose handled - direct physical contact - an object which someone else also handled: she brought Reni a coffee cup. (I remembered that because on a previous occasion I wondered if such a thing had happened, and that was at that time the only such instance. I think there have been more since then but don't specifically remember any.)
Mobile so no links, but she handed Trace a gate key, and Rose her collar that she broke.

I'd also like to wager that she's just not touched anyone since then, but I'll add that she's never been just a hologram, but an actual, physical, solid entity that moves by short range teleportation at will. Remember when Detritus bound her? We saw her figure, intact, in a shadow, which leads me to believe she actually had to be physically detained to some degree.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#7 Post by Sky Shatter »

Since no one else is going to say it...

Woooo! Naked hugs!

Rafe
Council Member

#8 Post by Rafe »

Just to clear things up - I assume the "Rose Projection" that has been interacting with everyone is a solid, corporeal object - not some kind of illusion that is only seen. We've seen things like this before; notably "Laura" generated by Keith's Heart's Desire spell. What I'm wondering is if what we 're seeing now - this youthful being - is the real Rose, now disconnected from the magically constructed tenacles that had held her all these years.

HSishi
Citizen

#9 Post by HSishi »

Is she a projection? For me she looks pretty solid, though she went from "Granny" Rose to a mid-aged Rose. How old is she in real?
From where did she get her solid body? Must be a pretty powerful magic.

Side note: Rose is even more flat-chested than Flora ...

Warrl
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Warrl »

HSishi wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:01 pm How old is she in real?
Approximately the same age as Euchre. Assuming she's still alive.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#11 Post by Tornir »

Warrl wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:10 pm
HSishi wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:01 pm How old is she in real?
Approximately the same age as Euchre. Assuming she's still alive.
Euchre's ref sheet says he's 32.
Considering the average Keidran lifespan is 20-25, that's ancient.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#12 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Well, it's about time. Finally Rose has gotten the hug I've wanted someone, anyone to give her since 2013, heh. It doesn't make up for everything she's gone through, of course, but it's still cathartic to see. And damn, not touched another person in five or six years? That's harsh. Keidran seem to be at *least* as tactile of a species as humans, if not more so, and that'd already be torture for one of us. We aren't meant to be alone like that! Even before her... integration... to be stuck almost completely alone in a echoing, empty mansion with only a madman for dubious company, never feeling the touch of another being, for a period that would be a good quarter of an average lifetime for a keidran... it's a wonder she's even *remotely* sane anymore. But now maybe she can finally have peace. And I love the symbolism in the last panel. This whole time in this backgrounds for the atrium there's been rose petals all over the place and indistinct red splotches on the plants that might be more petals or rose buds, but I believe this panel is the first time Tom has drawn actual rose *flowers* in the background.
HSishi wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:01 pmHow old is she in real?
Rose would be 28 - she was born in the year 454, and it's 482 in the comic's present time - *if* she was alive, which she's not, or at least not really. And yes, the version of her we've seen most of the time is indeed a projection, which is presumably powered by the estate's magic. We've seen several times that illusions in the twokinds universe can be solid, so that's not a particularly new thing.
Rafe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:33 amWhat I'm wondering is if what we 're seeing now - this youthful being - is the real Rose, now disconnected from the magically constructed tenacles that had held her all these years.
Rose's actual physical body is old - you can see in comic 1115 that her hair is faded and streaked with white, for example. What we've been seeing now and for the last few comics is still the projection, as evidenced by the 'glitch' and fading effects that Tom has been drawing on her in the past few comics, the same ones he used for the Maren illusion previously.

That said, I think from everything we've seen of Rose and how she's interacted with the others since we've arrived at the mansion that her projection might as *well* be her, at least from her point of view, she can obviously hear/see/feel/etc through it as if it actually were her real body. So I think the distinction is relatively academic at this point.

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#13 Post by Sky Shatter »

This manifestation of Rose is a projection.
She is solid.
The comment about not having felt someone since Saria died refers to her avoiding physical contact with and/or being avoided by living beings.

Cosmacelf
Apprentice

#14 Post by Cosmacelf »

So why naked Rose all of a sudden? Not that I'm complaining...

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Technic[Bot] »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:50 pm Well, it's about time. Finally Rose has gotten the hug I've wanted someone, anyone to give her since 2013, heh. It doesn't make up for everything she's gone through, of course, but it's still cathartic to see. And damn, not touched another person in five or six years? That's harsh. Keidran seem to be at *least* as tactile of a species as humans, if not more so, and that'd already be torture for one of us. We aren't meant to be alone like that! Even before her... integration... to be stuck almost completely alone in a echoing, empty mansion with only a madman for dubious company, never feeling the touch of another being, for a period that would be a good quarter of an average lifetime for a keidran... it's a wonder she's even *remotely* sane anymore. But now maybe she can finally have peace. And I love the symbolism in the last panel. This whole time in this backgrounds for the atrium there's been rose petals all over the place and indistinct red splotches on the plants that might be more petals or rose buds, but I believe this panel is the first time Tom has drawn actual rose *flowers* in the background.
HSishi wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:01 pmHow old is she in real?
Rose would be 28 - she was born in the year 454, and it's 482 in the comic's present time - *if* she was alive, which she's not, or at least not really. And yes, the version of her we've seen most of the time is indeed a projection, which is presumably powered by the estate's magic. We've seen several times that illusions in the twokinds universe can be solid, so that's not a particularly new thing.
Rafe wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:33 amWhat I'm wondering is if what we 're seeing now - this youthful being - is the real Rose, now disconnected from the magically constructed tenacles that had held her all these years.
Rose's actual physical body is old - you can see in comic 1115 that her hair is faded and streaked with white, for example. What we've been seeing now and for the last few comics is still the projection, as evidenced by the 'glitch' and fading effects that Tom has been drawing on her in the past few comics, the same ones he used for the Maren illusion previously.

That said, I think from everything we've seen of Rose and how she's interacted with the others since we've arrived at the mansion that her projection might as *well* be her, at least from her point of view, she can obviously hear/see/feel/etc through it as if it actually were her real body. So I think the distinction is relatively academic at this point.
I am very touch averse so I cant comment much. But yeah Rose has had it hard. Not that any of the cast has had a particularly nice life, even sans necromancy experiments living with Trace could not have been nice, specially the darker he got. We got the 20ish year old widows who went mad with grief, the girl who grew up sequestered because her mom either wanted to protect her or was ashamed of her, the young exile who is also almost a widow at 18 and the child soldiers one who is likely a cripple for now.

I think she is not dead yet more like on life support her body wont stay functioning if unplugged from the manor. Hopefully she will be able to rest and see her girlfriend again in the near future.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide