Comic for December 4, 2021: Reliving the Past

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for December 4, 2021: Reliving the Past

#16 Post by Bellhead »

The more I think about how Rose is talking here, the more I think this is actually her. It makes a scary amount of sense that, after seeing Evil Trace do all the messed up crap he did, that she would want to be absolutely CERTAIN that he wouldn't do it again. She definitely seems like the "I won't let you do this to anyone else" kind of person, and with all the power of having her restrictions removed, she's in a position to do something about it. So of course she would.

I mean, if you think back to her behavior Here (and the following pages) when she was talking with Raine regarding shapeshifting. She's a tough-love-when-needed kind of person, who's willing to play a dirty trick or two in a controlled environment to teach a valuable lesson. Back in that scene, Rose threatened Raine with embarrassment, not pain, and (mostly) alone. She could just as easily done that in the Oasis Room, or the main hall, but used a bedroom instead.

But backed into a corner like this, confronted with her former "master's" past and possible repeat of it, she's bound to get a bit desperate. It would stand to reason she'd pull all the stops to make sure he got the message, and/or figure out if he'd actually changed or not. Using personal feelings, confronting past misdeeds (and their consequences), forcing him to see what would become of his beloved and watching his reaction to it... They're all keen ways to find out who a person truly is. And in this situation... I don't think the usual Rose could have done it any better. Her usual demeanor probably wouldn't give her the certainty and closure she really needs right now.

I suppose we'll see in the pages to come, but my mind's been swayed.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#17 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:02 am The more I think about how Rose is talking here, the more I think this is actually her. It makes a scary amount of sense that, after seeing Evil Trace do all the messed up crap he did, that she would want to be absolutely CERTAIN that he wouldn't do it again. She definitely seems like the "I won't let you do this to anyone else" kind of person, and with all the power of having her restrictions removed, she's in a position to do something about it. So of course she would.

I mean, if you think back to her behavior Here (and the following pages) when she was talking with Raine regarding shapeshifting. She's a tough-love-when-needed kind of person, who's willing to play a dirty trick or two in a controlled environment to teach a valuable lesson. Back in that scene, Rose threatened Raine with embarrassment, not pain, and (mostly) alone. She could just as easily done that in the Oasis Room, or the main hall, but used a bedroom instead.

But backed into a corner like this, confronted with her former "master's" past and possible repeat of it, she's bound to get a bit desperate. It would stand to reason she'd pull all the stops to make sure he got the message, and/or figure out if he'd actually changed or not. Using personal feelings, confronting past misdeeds (and their consequences), forcing him to see what would become of his beloved and watching his reaction to it... They're all keen ways to find out who a person truly is. And in this situation... I don't think the usual Rose could have done it any better. Her usual demeanor probably wouldn't give her the certainty and closure she really needs right now.

I suppose we'll see in the pages to come, but my mind's been swayed.
I agree if it is really Rose then this is a test. If he passes he lives if not she won't let him repeat the horrors be has committed.

Due to plot armor i doubt Trace will fail. But i am now worried about Flora. She is nice but not the smartest tiger in the ambush. And really has not confronted the fact she is having the children of a monster.

Hearing Rose harsh words may not make Trace falter but seeing his fiancee scared out of her mind at his own sight. That may affect him...

i really really want old trace to come out an play i would find detritus/Clovis to be a boring boss for this chapter
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#18 Post by steelabjur »

Thomas Rot wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:57 am
Bellhead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 pm In other news, SOUL FORGE?! The frig? Does this thing make souls for people? Or does it just forge them together? And also, Saria's been dead for YEARS. If her soul still is around to be "forged", would it even be her soul anymore? What the heck was that guy thinking?!
Now that you mention it… first thing that strikes me is the implication that souls can apparently be combined with each other in some way. Did we get that bit of lore before?

Anyway, "lives have already been sacrificed" is rather ominous too. Could be (ought to be) referring to herself, but lives in the plural may or may not imply (once again) that Maren isn't making it out of this chapter.

It's really hard to tell how much of this is deliberate on Rose's part in the sense that it corresponds to the Rose of previous chapters; given what we know they might as well be two different people. Sure she may be in control, sure she knows at a basic level that Karen, Maddie, Raine et al. are living and probably do not deserve to be dragged into rituals or anything of the sort, but they are not relevant to current events the way Flora and Saria are and that makes it quite a bit more difficult to predict what might happen if Trace passes whatever test this is. (Obviously if he fails Rose kills him preemptively, duh.) Though when it's framed that way, passing a test definitely implies something not completely bad happening… if he does something that appears to be passing a test set for him, but it turns out there wasn't a test at all and Rose has something else entirely that comes out of left field, what happens then?
Natani and Zen. Natani's soul was damaged by a black magic attack and they were magically linked to fix the damage.

Might be referring to Detritus, he was a simple mimic that Trace experimented on trying to come up with a body for Saria to inhabit. Who knows what else Trace might have done during that time?

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#19 Post by Sky Shatter »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 pm And also, Saria's been dead for YEARS. If her soul still is around to be "forged", would it even be her soul anymore? What the heck was that guy thinking?!
It's still around. She met with Trace a little while ago (who had no idea who she was), and was thankful that he was doing well emotionally and had been able to get on with his life.