The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Comic for December 4, 2021: Reliving the Past

#1 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Comic for December 4, 2021: Reliving the Past

Ok i do not think this is Rose. She could care about Saria but Flora? What is it to her if she lives or dies there is more groing on here than we can tell.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

Re: Comic for December 4, 2021: Reliving the Past

#2 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Bit of advice for Trace: Tell Rose(?) this quote from the movie Kung Fu Panda.
The past is history, the future a mystery. But now is a gift. That's why it's called the present.
That applies just as well seeing that nobody, not even us, know exactly what the details of Neutral's plan in regards to Trace and Flora's kid. It could involve a form of genetic feedback that extends Flora's life to something closer to.Human levels, for all we know.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

I'd like to think Trace has learned from the stories of his past, and as that day came, he would prepare himself for it.

But with the way Shadow Rose is talking here... she seems to be appealing to what she sees as Trace's desires, rather than Evil Trace's. That might be Rose. But the way all of this is happening, I'm not sure if she's in control of herself. Maybe Evil Trace installed some sort of failsafe in her as a contingency in case he changed his mind...? This might actually be her, in which case... this is not good.

In other news, SOUL FORGE?! The frig? Does this thing make souls for people? Or does it just forge them together? And also, Saria's been dead for YEARS. If her soul still is around to be "forged", would it even be her soul anymore? What the heck was that guy thinking?!
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 pm I'd like to think Trace has learned from the stories of his past, and as that day came, he would prepare himself for it.

But with the way Shadow Rose is talking here... she seems to be appealing to what she sees as Trace's desires, rather than Evil Trace's. That might be Rose. But the way all of this is happening, I'm not sure if she's in control of herself. Maybe Evil Trace installed some sort of failsafe in her as a contingency in case he changed his mind...? This might actually be her, in which case... this is not good.

In other news, SOUL FORGE?! The frig? Does this thing make souls for people? Or does it just forge them together? And also, Saria's been dead for YEARS. If her soul still is around to be "forged", would it even be her soul anymore? What the heck was that guy thinking?!
I am pretty sure even if Rose was a willing participant Trace probably installed something on her in case she decided not to cooperate in the end. Maybe his feelings are now seeping into Rose? Maybe Shadow Rose will try to attack Flora to coax Trace into cooperating?

Saria has been dead for around 5 years, that did not prevented Ephemeral to bring her back for a hot minute for her ill advised plans. Also cue in unintended Dark Souls reference.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Rafe
Council Member

#5 Post by Rafe »

I refuse to believe that apparition is Rose. I'm not saying Rose might not appear as a badly-functioning projection, I just don't think the actual Rose would say what she is saying. Interesting effects, though, especially the way Rose is gradually getting younger.

With all the magical action and subterfuge going on with Clovis and Brahn and their allies, maybe even Nora, it's hard to even guess who's going after who. Not to mention (especially with Rose involved) Raine. And don't forget the other shoe that I'm sure will drop, Euchre. He's still around, and I've always had the feeling that he'd refuse to die until he'd somehow sacrifice himself to atone for what he did in abandoning Rose.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by aitaituo »

Rafe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:06 am I refuse to believe that apparition is Rose. I'm not saying Rose might not appear as a badly-functioning projection, I just don't think the actual Rose would say what she is saying. Interesting effects, though, especially the way Rose is gradually getting younger.
I dunno, she makes a pretty decent argument.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Technic[Bot] »

aitaituo wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:40 am
Rafe wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:06 am I refuse to believe that apparition is Rose. I'm not saying Rose might not appear as a badly-functioning projection, I just don't think the actual Rose would say what she is saying. Interesting effects, though, especially the way Rose is gradually getting younger.
I dunno, she makes a pretty decent argument.
Although correct she is also stating the obvious. She won't live long but it is something Trace will have to learn to deal with. Though enough doubt into his mind may make old trace to come out and play which is something i hoped would happen
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Dreamfox
Citizen

#8 Post by Dreamfox »

Considering she laughed when he said he wanted to marry Flora and assuming we are seeing the real Rose here, I say she is testing him. She has said that she could kill him with the restraints removed. She is making sure that this Trace is not going down the same way the old one did. If there is a chance for that, she will stop him. Permanently. Before more lives are sacrificed to his obsessions.

Foxtail
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#9 Post by Foxtail »

Yeah, I have to agree with you, Dreamfox. Rose always seemed to me that she had more than she lets on. And she's not a malevolent character in the slightest. She didn't have to help her niece learn how to control her shifting, but she did. She didn't have to save Karen and Maddie from Stoney, but she did. And she's been testing Trace since she's learned that he's truly lost his memories and wasn't just putting on a clever act. So, I have a feeling that after Trace takes an inevitable trip down memory lane, that she'll reveal her intentions.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#10 Post by tony1695 »

If this really is Rose in control, then I reckon shifting from Old Rose to Young Rose is a deliberate action, not something that could be a result of a loss of control/emotion. By showing just how different she looked/looks at different points in her life, she's reinforcing to Trace just how much Flora will change while he stays young (relatively speaking).

Also, this is the first time we've seen this altar referred to as a "soul forge", right?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#11 Post by Thomas Rot »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:22 pm In other news, SOUL FORGE?! The frig? Does this thing make souls for people? Or does it just forge them together? And also, Saria's been dead for YEARS. If her soul still is around to be "forged", would it even be her soul anymore? What the heck was that guy thinking?!
Now that you mention it… first thing that strikes me is the implication that souls can apparently be combined with each other in some way. Did we get that bit of lore before?

Anyway, "lives have already been sacrificed" is rather ominous too. Could be (ought to be) referring to herself, but lives in the plural may or may not imply (once again) that Maren isn't making it out of this chapter.

It's really hard to tell how much of this is deliberate on Rose's part in the sense that it corresponds to the Rose of previous chapters; given what we know they might as well be two different people. Sure she may be in control, sure she knows at a basic level that Karen, Maddie, Raine et al. are living and probably do not deserve to be dragged into rituals or anything of the sort, but they are not relevant to current events the way Flora and Saria are and that makes it quite a bit more difficult to predict what might happen if Trace passes whatever test this is. (Obviously if he fails Rose kills him preemptively, duh.) Though when it's framed that way, passing a test definitely implies something not completely bad happening… if he does something that appears to be passing a test set for him, but it turns out there wasn't a test at all and Rose has something else entirely that comes out of left field, what happens then?

multilis
Citizen

#12 Post by multilis »

With all the magical action and subterfuge going on with Clovis and Brahn and their allies, maybe even Nora, it's hard to even guess who's going after who. Not to mention (especially with Rose involved) Raine. And don't forget the other shoe that I'm sure will drop, Euchre. He's still around, and I've always had the feeling that he'd refuse to die until he'd somehow sacrifice himself to atone for what he did in abandoning Rose.
IMO anything is possible including that this could be a "good" Rose testing Trace. Or it could be a tainted Rose just as we've seen several versions of tainted Trace. Or maybe even the real Rose, after what happened to her and Sarah and Trace became a mixture of good and bad and is willing to sacrifice someone she does not know to save someone she loved (Sarah)

From the perspective of a good Rose who hates the whole necromancer business, it would make sense to find out if Trace is going to go dark again in future when something happens to his next love of his life, while Rose still has the power to stop Trace.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#13 Post by Rasol »

Everyone thinking this is not the real Rose:
Have you considered that Rose loved Saria just as deeply as Trace did? That she was EVERY BIT as willing to follow along with Trace's madness if it meant she could see her beloved Saria again?

Grief is a powerful thing. Even in this story. It turned a relatively talented, but playful mage, and turned him into a sadistic, genocidal monster.
Young Trace (the one Saria fell in love with) to Evil Trace is a bigger stretch here than the jump Rose would be taking.

But still the bigger question remains: Would Saria even want to come back, to see the people she cared for so deeply twisted in such a way?
Without the haze of grief and madness, anybody could see that even IF they brought her back, things could not go back to being as they were.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Rasol wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pmHave you considered that Rose loved Saria just as deeply as Trace did? That she was EVERY BIT as willing to follow along with Trace's madness if it meant she could see her beloved Saria again?
Which of these choices would YOU prefer, if you were Rose?

1) I (Trace) will give you an extended life span, in exchange for your continuing in your current employment and later some assistance in a project which will eventually kill an innocent person other than you - if I find a suitable candidate to be that person, which there are some fairly demanding requirements for, and if a bunch of other things go the way I want (oh, and by the way, you'll be in a fairly decent position to sabotage this project).

2) I will kill you now and use your soul to power this project.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:31 pm
Rasol wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:40 pmHave you considered that Rose loved Saria just as deeply as Trace did? That she was EVERY BIT as willing to follow along with Trace's madness if it meant she could see her beloved Saria again?
Which of these choices would YOU prefer, if you were Rose?

1) I (Trace) will give you an extended life span, in exchange for your continuing in your current employment and later some assistance in a project which will eventually kill an innocent person other than you - if I find a suitable candidate to be that person, which there are some fairly demanding requirements for, and if a bunch of other things go the way I want (oh, and by the way, you'll be in a fairly decent position to sabotage this project).

2) I will kill you now and use your soul to power this project.
Yeah even if it turns out Rose is 💯 into this plan i doubt Trace was asking her nicely.

Also do not forget Trace set many restrictions in Rose and whatever is left if dark Trace was against removing them. He had reason to believe she would not cooperate otherwise.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide