Durarara!!

For all discussions pertaining to anime and anime-related subjects.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Durarara!!

#1 Post by Bellhead »

A quick search found another topic for this show... made in 2006, last posted in in 2011. Hayate, feel free to merge them as you see fit, but I feel 10 years is a bit much, even for this subforum.

Anyway. Currently in season.. 4? The naming and sequencing seems a little unusual, but not nearly as much as the show itself. It's quite unpredictable, with so much happening behind the scenes that literally anyone could show up, and do anything, and it wouldn't stand out anymore. The Dullahan had her head stolen and rides a horse shape-shifted into a motorcycle, and is dating the primary doctor for the mob, whose father cut off her head, in an attempt to sell it to a pharmaceutical corporation, whose primary go-getter controls a demon blade, which infected the father of a young girl who is now also possessed, but is friends with the two leaders of the city's largest gangs all while in high school. Meanwhile, the mob is chasing after... something, while Russians hunt for the information broker that started a gang war, and they do so from a sushi restaurant.

Plot summary: It's complicated, to the level of "laugh because what the absolute [censored] just happened", and I'm friggin' confused. I mean, everything that happens makes sense with the characters being the way they are, and once you know what happened before what you see, it's all logical. It's just nuts. Early in the first season, a narrator mentioned that everything, and I mean everything, was connected, and nothing was coincidence. The plotlines don't even converge, really. They all just.. cross each other. All over the place.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Durarara!!

#2 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Leave to the animes to make nonsensical plots.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

That's the problem. Each one makes sense. The thing isn't that the plotlines themselves don't make sense, it's that they keep crossing in the most messed up ways, at the most inopportune times, to the point of "info broker uses a mob boss's runaway child daughter to taser a near invincible guy, at a point where he's working through personal matters pertaining to the demon-blade-possessed people the headless dullahan gave him shadow gloves to fight".

They all make plenty of sense, on their own. But make each line cross, and you get a damned spiderweb of kerfufflege, that had me asking "Excuse me, what the [censored] just happened?!" at the end of more than half the scenes.

"Sure, I'd love to help."
*Motorcycle falls from the sky, smashes on the sidewalk*
*guy dressed like a bartender picks up and throws a car*
*motorcycle made of shadows drives on the side of a building*
"Huh. I wonder what's going on. Oh, that's right, I need bread."

Like, THIS could have happened, and it wouldn't have seemed out of place. Oh, but this actually did.

"I know you just got your memories back, but let me cut off your head with this demon sword that's possessing me, because your body is in love with me and I'm selfish like that."

Fair warning, the show is a bit long, and hardly anything gets properly resolved until, like, the last episode.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by Insomniac »

Bellhead wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:21 am That's the problem. Each one makes sense. The thing isn't that the plotlines themselves don't make sense, it's that they keep crossing in the most messed up ways, at the most inopportune times, to the point of "info broker uses a mob boss's runaway child daughter to taser a near invincible guy, at a point where he's working through personal matters pertaining to the demon-blade-possessed people the headless dullahan gave him shadow gloves to fight".

They all make plenty of sense, on their own. But make each line cross, and you get a damned spiderweb of kerfufflege, that had me asking "Excuse me, what the [censored] just happened?!" at the end of more than half the scenes.

"Sure, I'd love to help."
*Motorcycle falls from the sky, smashes on the sidewalk*
*guy dressed like a bartender picks up and throws a car*
*motorcycle made of shadows drives on the side of a building*
"Huh. I wonder what's going on. Oh, that's right, I need bread."

Like, THIS could have happened, and it wouldn't have seemed out of place. Oh, but this actually did.

"I know you just got your memories back, but let me cut off your head with this demon sword that's possessing me, because your body is in love with me and I'm selfish like that."

Fair warning, the show is a bit long, and hardly anything gets properly resolved until, like, the last episode.
I watched this show years ago. I was all smiles the entire time. I loved this show so goddamn much. ...I SHOULD WATCH IT AGAIN!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.