Comic for November 20, 2021: Meeting of Monarchs

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

Re: Comic for November 20, 2021: Meeting of Monarchs

#16 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Tornir wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:36 pm Personally, I think Clovis is still alive and unharmed, either down in the dungeon, or teleported somewhere to safety.
What I believe we have here is Clovis pulling Reni into a mindscape in the same way Nora pulled Nat in during TDM. Notice the shoulder injury she got from the lizard rocks has suddenly vanished?

Now, if he can take control of Reni as he could with Nat, then Nat could be in big trouble right now; Clovis is guaranteed one surprise attack if he decides to go after them, and from a derg, that's all he'd need.
There is that, but Clovis may be going after Natani and Zen but Nora as well. Though I really hope that his link is tenuous and that Reni can somehow boot him out of the link or wake Nora and get her help (without Clovis knowing of course).
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#17 Post by Tornir »

Ainoko Ironrose wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:57 pm There is that, but Clovis may be going after Natani and Zen but Nora as well. Though I really hope that his link is tenuous and that Reni can somehow boot him out of the link or wake Nora and get her help (without Clovis knowing of course).
My concern is that Nat is currently in line of sight of Reni. If Clovis has control of her, exhausted Nat is in immediate and extreme danger from two very large paws and flame breath.

As for Nora, she's currently out of juice. There's no magic on the Basitin island she's sleeping on, and I don't know how long that'll take to replenish. If she was up to leaving, she'd have done so immediately, so I don't think she'll be coming to the rescue, and if Clovis tracks her down, she may not have the resources yet to defeat him.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#18 Post by Bellhead »

That's the thing. As of this moment, none of the cast has the skills, knowledge and power to do something about that link, and right now, none of them even know. And if Clovis decides that he's going to take things slowly and carefully, which (let's face it) is a possibility, they might not know until its too late. Things could always get worse, but still...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#19 Post by Eclipse »

It's not terribly surprising that he would want to go after Reni because of Nora, but I am a bit surprised that Reni was his main target. You'd think in light of the events he'd be more interested in Brutus, Natani, or Zen. But yeah, pretty obvious he wants revenge against Nora, perhaps the entire dragon race.

Tiennos
Citizen

#20 Post by Tiennos »

Ugh... I hope Clovis gets iced soon. I find the smug monologuing "all according to plan" type of villains annoying as all hell.
And we still have Brahn plotting his schemes too... UGH!
I'm adorable !

Sky Shatter
Citizen

#21 Post by Sky Shatter »

Ooooo... It's a major accomplishment when an author can make the reader really hate the bad guy, instead of just love to hate them. Kudos to Tom.

Weird theory about body-swapping that seems to be prevailing when it's fairly obvious that Clovis just took Reni's dragon powers with his amulet.

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#22 Post by Cinnibar »

Let's see how the theory of "Clovis is still gender-swapped and hating it" goes.

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#23 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Tornir wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 pm
Ainoko Ironrose wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:57 pm There is that, but Clovis may be going after Natani and Zen but Nora as well. Though I really hope that his link is tenuous and that Reni can somehow boot him out of the link or wake Nora and get her help (without Clovis knowing of course).
My concern is that Nat is currently in line of sight of Reni. If Clovis has control of her, exhausted Nat is in immediate and extreme danger from two very large paws and flame breath.

As for Nora, she's currently out of juice. There's no magic on the Basitin island she's sleeping on, and I don't know how long that'll take to replenish. If she was up to leaving, she'd have done so immediately, so I don't think she'll be coming to the rescue, and if Clovis tracks her down, she may not have the resources yet to defeat him.
It's been a few months since Trace and Co destroyed that tower on the Bastian Island, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Nora is sufficiently recovered and able to come to the aid of Trance and Co. Remember, Princess Remi was going through Trace's mind to verify that he was who he said he was. Even Lady Nora vouched for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Nora shows up in the next pew pages to save Remi.
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#24 Post by Tornir »

Ainoko Ironrose wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am ////
It's been a few months since Trace and Co destroyed that tower on the Bastian Island, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that Nora is sufficiently recovered and able to come to the aid of Trance and Co. Remember, Princess Remi was going through Trace's mind to verify that he was who he said he was. Even Lady Nora vouched for him. I wouldn't be surprised if Nora shows up in the next pew pages to save Remi.
That could have been a direct interaction with Nora.
It could also be a stand-alone fragment of her consciousness she left in Trace to keep an eye on him, which she currently isn't monitoring, being asleep.
Or it could be that Nora is powerful enough to have a non-linear perception of space-time, and the interaction between Reni and Trace in Edinmere was actually noticed by Nora back when she was in the cave with Trace on the Basitin Island.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#25 Post by Dreamfox »

My theory is that the amulet Clovis got gives him the power to this stunt, which is to access Reni's magic, the magic of a dragon to fix his gender. The telepathic connection looks accidental.
Even if he controls her I doubt he would be able to hold onto her for too long. Sooner or later another dragon would get wind of it, beginning with either Nora or Reni's mother and that could bring down an entire flight of dragon's down on him and his immediate surroundings. They would need to make a point why you should not mess around with dragons. And that's under the assumption that Reni is unable to free herself. While we don't know his entire collection of magic items, we don't know Reni's either.
With the nature of Keidran and magic I'd say that the only magic users with the skill and/or power to reverse his condition are human Templars, which he can't trust. He must have burned through a lot of Mana Crystals and money to keep his 'condition' hidden until now as it is. We saw how quickly Natani burns through mana crystals.

So yes, I think he intends to use Reni's magic and more importantly her natural understanding of magic to reverse his condition.
She is probably the only dragon he can keep track of with her involvement in human affairs. Also, she is probably one of the few younger dragons around, because I doubt that he could do that with an older dragon even with the crystal from the Templars.
Though if he needs her skills to change him back he might be disappointed. She might be too young and inexperienced to do that (https://twokinds.keenspot.com/comic/1016/)

Just my theory. We'll see. :grin:

Ainoko Ironrose
Citizen

#26 Post by Ainoko Ironrose »

Tornir wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:20 pm
Ainoko Ironrose wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am ////
That could have been a direct interaction with Nora.
It could also be a stand-alone fragment of her consciousness she left in Trace to keep an eye on him, which she currently isn't monitoring, being asleep.
Or it could be that Nora is powerful enough to have a non-linear perception of space-time, and the interaction between Reni and Trace in Edinmere was actually noticed by Nora back when she was in the cave with Trace on the Basitin Island.
Also, Clovis life might be coming to and end thanks to Seer Braham's meddling.
I found my thrill...
On Blueberry Hill...

It was there...
I made my first kill...

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#27 Post by Bellhead »

Ainoko Ironrose wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 am
Tornir wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Note the map shown here, and the distances between their stops. I remember somebody, probably Eric, saying that the return trip would be shorter than their trip out, and their trip out was a little less than a month. I seem to remember them talking about it specifically, but I can't find the page... Either way, they left the island pretty quickly after the trial, most likely either the same day or the day after, which would have been very shortly after the mana explosion. And if the trip back took less than a month, we can assume less than four weeks have passed since then. Remember that, since they landed in Edinmire, only one night has passed.

I don't think Nora will wake up anytime soon. I do subscribe to the "consciousness fragment" theory, that she left a piece in Trace's mind, and I definitely agree that she's not monitoring that fragment right now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tiennos
Citizen

#28 Post by Tiennos »

Sky Shatter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:09 am Ooooo... It's a major accomplishment when an author can make the reader really hate the bad guy, instead of just love to hate them. Kudos to Tom.
Well in this case it's the opposite. I hope Clovis gets killed soon because I find him boring and badly written and I just want the story to move on.
I'm adorable !

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#29 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Tiennos wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:25 pm
Sky Shatter wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:09 am Ooooo... It's a major accomplishment when an author can make the reader really hate the bad guy, instead of just love to hate them. Kudos to Tom.
Well in this case it's the opposite. I hope Clovis gets killed soon because I find him boring and badly written and I just want the story to move on.
I disagree. He actually has a ton of half-decent offscreen lore about him, like his hatred of women partly stemming from his half-fox heritage, which is from his mother's side of the family.

I don't remember much else, but the point is, some characters are far deeper than they appear to be at face value, and you shouldn't judge just by the onscreen info.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Dreamfox
Citizen

#30 Post by Dreamfox »

Bellhead wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:47 pm I don't think Nora will wake up anytime soon. I do subscribe to the "consciousness fragment" theory, that she left a piece in Trace's mind, and I definitely agree that she's not monitoring that fragment right now.
There is the possibility that she established a telepathic link with Trace some time in the past and her mind can be active even though she is asleep.
There are reasons why she would establish such a bond. For example, having an idea of the problems ahead of him she might want to keep an eye on him without interfering too much and also give him some protection against mind readers as he has none at them moment. Or just wants her meetings with him to stay private. Like I said, many reasons are possible.