Comic for October 30, 2021: Silenced

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for October 30, 2021: Silenced

#1 Post by Bellhead »

Oh, Reni... This could be bad. Then again, if she shifted back to human form... but dang. So THAT'S what the amulet did. I wonder if it cut off all of her magic, or just her telepathy.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Joachim de Toul
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kathrin

Re: Comic for October 30, 2021: Silenced

#2 Post by Joachim de Toul »

Let's just hope it's reversible. :reni: :heart: Because this is "potentially problematic". My, that's some terrible dark magic ! Bad, bad Clovis!
Though, I love how :karen: is trying to imitate her. That's too cute. :mrgrin: Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra!
:kathrin: is love ; :kathrin: is life !

steelabjur
Council Member

#3 Post by steelabjur »

Random thought, what if Clovis stole Reni's telepathic ability? Remember how much trouble Reni has controlling it, and that on the back of it being her primary form of communication? Could be fun to see Clovis trying to live while just randomly broadcasting his thoughts to everyone around him.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#4 Post by Tornir »

If Clovis did in fact steal (rather than just burn out or otherwise neutralize) Reni's telepathic ability, what about her other innate draconic ability, shapeshifting?
How the hell would you catch a telepathic thief who has perfect transformation?

Dreamfox
Citizen

#5 Post by Dreamfox »

You realize that dragon's aren't invulnerable? She got hit hard enough the break through the ceiling into the next level of the house. While magic based, her telepathy is linked to the brain. My first guess would be she has a severe concussion. If it's temporary, needs special healing or is permanent remains to be seen.

Of course Clovis stealing it and not being able to control it would be funny.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I think the answer is on the title: Silenced

Clovis blew Reni through the floor and casted silence on her so she cannot use magic anymore.

Or he somehow drained her magic, and his telepathy with it I think Mr Steeljabur proposed that before.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#7 Post by tony1695 »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:41 pm Or he somehow drained her magic, and his telepathy with it I think Mr Steeljabur proposed that before.
I doubt that's the case. The detonation of the mage tower on the Basitin Isles drained the magic from the area, and enough from Nora to sideline her. Even then she was able to retain her telepathy, though whether that's a sign of how magically powerful she is up to debate.
Some sort of powerful silence effect seems the most likely. Reni is still mobile and cognizant. Telepathy and shapeshifting are out of the question for her right now, maybe even fire-breathing and flight. She is still a massive lizard with the appropriate strength, but one of her most powerful tools has been removed. Not useless in a fight, but definitely a lot less useful.

And what of Clovis? Part of me wonders if the silence was meant for the heart of the manor's defence system. Rose (and to a lesser extent Detritus) have likely been keeping out everyone the Templars have sent since Trace's run-in with the Mask that wiped his memory. If that was what he was meant to do, then perhaps the amulet was intended to turn the wearer in some sort of magical suicide bomber with the equivalent of a localised EMP generator. As for why a Keidran? Templars, and only Templars, showing up in force might activate every defence mechanism, even ones Rose was not aware of (assuming they exist). Evil!Trace was a paranoid nutjob, he might have considered that his underlings might try to do to him what he did to the previous Grand Templar. Or he knew that if the nature of his experiments got out not even his position would save him from some manner of punishment.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#8 Post by Bellhead »

... is anyone going to mention Karen yelling at a dragon without wearing pants?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

tony1695 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:32 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:41 pm Or he somehow drained her magic, and his telepathy with it I think Mr Steeljabur proposed that before.
I doubt that's the case. The detonation of the mage tower on the Basitin Isles drained the magic from the area, and enough from Nora to sideline her. Even then she was able to retain her telepathy, though whether that's a sign of how magically powerful she is up to debate.
Some sort of powerful silence effect seems the most likely. Reni is still mobile and cognizant. Telepathy and shapeshifting are out of the question for her right now, maybe even fire-breathing and flight. She is still a massive lizard with the appropriate strength, but one of her most powerful tools has been removed. Not useless in a fight, but definitely a lot less useful.

And what of Clovis? Part of me wonders if the silence was meant for the heart of the manor's defence system. Rose (and to a lesser extent Detritus) have likely been keeping out everyone the Templars have sent since Trace's run-in with the Mask that wiped his memory. If that was what he was meant to do, then perhaps the amulet was intended to turn the wearer in some sort of magical suicide bomber with the equivalent of a localised EMP generator. As for why a Keidran? Templars, and only Templars, showing up in force might activate every defence mechanism, even ones Rose was not aware of (assuming they exist). Evil!Trace was a paranoid nutjob, he might have considered that his underlings might try to do to him what he did to the previous Grand Templar. Or he knew that if the nature of his experiments got out not even his position would save him from some manner of punishment.
I am not sure Clovis just blasted himself into smithereens. I think he is still around. But if i were Brahn and planned to blow him up eventually that was a very good time to blow him up. However It would be very anticlimatic if he was simply a suicide bomber meant to disable the manor defenses and any nearby dragon.
Bellhead wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 1:03 am ... is anyone going to mention Karen yelling at a dragon without wearing pants?
She is wearing her color changing bikini under that.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#10 Post by steelabjur »

I doubt the silence effect was intentional on Clovis' part (mostly because suppressing Reni's telepathy doesn't stop her ability to burn him to a crisp or crush him with her sheer size and strength), I suspect it's a side effect from whatever happened in the dungeon that led to the explosion. I've suggested before that the amulets purpose was to function as a magical siphon, with the flawless mana crystal acting as a storage battery. I'm suspecting that the crystal Brahn used wasn't a flawless mana crystal however, just one that would pass as flawless. Dragons are creatures of magic, specifically they are creatures of a great deal of magic. The amulet couldn't handle all the mana Clovis was trying to force into it and suffered a physical failure. The explosion we saw that blew Reni through the floor was the crystal reaching its limit and popping off, like a cheap rechargeable battery that got overcharged.

Esn
New Citizen

#11 Post by Esn »

Hm.. I bet that "Rarrerari ra Ren" is "Natani and Zen".

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#12 Post by Tornir »

I can't help wondering if Karen actually does understand Reni's extreme Scooby-Doo like vocalizations, even if she can't imitate them.
At least Reni learned to speak human, so can still understand what most of the party are saying.

Kyrit
Templar

#13 Post by Kyrit »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 am

I doubt the silence effect was intentional on Clovis' part (mostly because suppressing Reni's telepathy doesn't stop her ability to burn him to a crisp or crush him with her sheer size and strength), I suspect it's a side effect from whatever happened in the dungeon that led to the explosion. I've suggested before that the amulets purpose was to function as a magical siphon, with the flawless mana crystal acting as a storage battery. I'm suspecting that the crystal Brahn used wasn't a flawless mana crystal however, just one that would pass as flawless. Dragons are creatures of magic, specifically they are creatures of a great deal of magic. The amulet couldn't handle all the mana Clovis was trying to force into it and suffered a physical failure. The explosion we saw that blew Reni through the floor was the crystal reaching its limit and popping off, like a cheap rechargeable battery that got overcharged.
I'm more inclined to believe the silence was intentional. Clovis knows the power of a dragon being able to get into his head. He'd want to cut off any chance of Reni learning more about him, and this way even if she had learned more already she can't tell anyone else about that information now. With Reni's voice (and possibly other magic) even temporarily done away with now would be a great time for Clovis to make his getaway if he wanted to while there's no one alive (except Brahn) could blab about his involvement in this. Granted, he might let his desire to get back the siblings and take Reni down another peg overcome his desire for an opportune retreat. But yeah, I think he cut off her telepathy on purpose

Warrl
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Warrl »

Raine: (steps up sort of alongside Karen, but a couple steps away, and points at Maddie) You, step over that way a bit.
. . . (turns to Reni) If you understand me, nod your head up and down.
Reni: (nods)
Raine: If you know which one of us is Karen, point at her.
Reni: (points at Karen)
Raine: Now point at Raine.
Reni: (does)
Raine: Okay, you're still completely you, but you can't talk to us the way you usually do. Why don't you try some minor magic?

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#15 Post by stlsf4003 »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 am

I still think it would be a bit of an anticlimactic way for Clovis to go to simply have the crystal go off on him from an overload. That and with Clovis dead, all that would be left to fight would be Detrius and he doesn't seem to be much of a physical threat.
the lurking furry railroader