Comic for October 30, 2021: Silenced

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kyrit
Templar

Re: Comic for October 30, 2021: Silenced

#16 Post by Kyrit »

Esn wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:14 am Hm.. I bet that "Rarrerari ra Ren" is "Natani and Zen".
Apparently Tom gave us a translation in the transcript. Just caught that.
"Wha! My Telepathy! I can’t talk!"

steelabjur
Council Member

#17 Post by steelabjur »

stlsf4003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:00 pm
steelabjur wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 am
tony1695 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:32 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:41 pm Or he somehow drained her magic, and his telepathy with it I think Mr Steeljabur proposed that before.
I doubt that's the case. The detonation of the mage tower on the Basitin Isles drained the magic from the area, and enough from Nora to sideline her. Even then she was able to retain her telepathy, though whether that's a sign of how magically powerful she is up to debate.
Some sort of powerful silence effect seems the most likely. Reni is still mobile and cognizant. Telepathy and shapeshifting are out of the question for her right now, maybe even fire-breathing and flight. She is still a massive lizard with the appropriate strength, but one of her most powerful tools has been removed. Not useless in a fight, but definitely a lot less useful.

And what of Clovis? Part of me wonders if the silence was meant for the heart of the manor's defence system. Rose (and to a lesser extent Detritus) have likely been keeping out everyone the Templars have sent since Trace's run-in with the Mask that wiped his memory. If that was what he was meant to do, then perhaps the amulet was intended to turn the wearer in some sort of magical suicide bomber with the equivalent of a localised EMP generator. As for why a Keidran? Templars, and only Templars, showing up in force might activate every defence mechanism, even ones Rose was not aware of (assuming they exist). Evil!Trace was a paranoid nutjob, he might have considered that his underlings might try to do to him what he did to the previous Grand Templar. Or he knew that if the nature of his experiments got out not even his position would save him from some manner of punishment.
I doubt the silence effect was intentional on Clovis' part (mostly because suppressing Reni's telepathy doesn't stop her ability to burn him to a crisp or crush him with her sheer size and strength), I suspect it's a side effect from whatever happened in the dungeon that led to the explosion. I've suggested before that the amulets purpose was to function as a magical siphon, with the flawless mana crystal acting as a storage battery. I'm suspecting that the crystal Brahn used wasn't a flawless mana crystal however, just one that would pass as flawless. Dragons are creatures of magic, specifically they are creatures of a great deal of magic. The amulet couldn't handle all the mana Clovis was trying to force into it and suffered a physical failure. The explosion we saw that blew Reni through the floor was the crystal reaching its limit and popping off, like a cheap rechargeable battery that got overcharged.
I still think it would be a bit of an anticlimactic way for Clovis to go to simply have the crystal go off on him from an overload. That and with Clovis dead, all that would be left to fight would be Detrius and he doesn't seem to be much of a physical threat.
I doubt that is the last we see of Clovis, I wouldn't be surprised if other side effects happened with the amulets failure. Clovis was wearing a number of magical rings on his fingers and toes, one of them might have saved his fluffy butt from the big boom.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#18 Post by Technic[Bot] »

steelabjur wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:46 pm
stlsf4003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:00 pm
steelabjur wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:10 am
tony1695 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:32 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:41 pm Or he somehow drained her magic, and his telepathy with it I think Mr Steeljabur proposed that before.
I doubt that's the case. The detonation of the mage tower on the Basitin Isles drained the magic from the area, and enough from Nora to sideline her. Even then she was able to retain her telepathy, though whether that's a sign of how magically powerful she is up to debate.
Some sort of powerful silence effect seems the most likely. Reni is still mobile and cognizant. Telepathy and shapeshifting are out of the question for her right now, maybe even fire-breathing and flight. She is still a massive lizard with the appropriate strength, but one of her most powerful tools has been removed. Not useless in a fight, but definitely a lot less useful.

And what of Clovis? Part of me wonders if the silence was meant for the heart of the manor's defence system. Rose (and to a lesser extent Detritus) have likely been keeping out everyone the Templars have sent since Trace's run-in with the Mask that wiped his memory. If that was what he was meant to do, then perhaps the amulet was intended to turn the wearer in some sort of magical suicide bomber with the equivalent of a localised EMP generator. As for why a Keidran? Templars, and only Templars, showing up in force might activate every defence mechanism, even ones Rose was not aware of (assuming they exist). Evil!Trace was a paranoid nutjob, he might have considered that his underlings might try to do to him what he did to the previous Grand Templar. Or he knew that if the nature of his experiments got out not even his position would save him from some manner of punishment.
I doubt the silence effect was intentional on Clovis' part (mostly because suppressing Reni's telepathy doesn't stop her ability to burn him to a crisp or crush him with her sheer size and strength), I suspect it's a side effect from whatever happened in the dungeon that led to the explosion. I've suggested before that the amulets purpose was to function as a magical siphon, with the flawless mana crystal acting as a storage battery. I'm suspecting that the crystal Brahn used wasn't a flawless mana crystal however, just one that would pass as flawless. Dragons are creatures of magic, specifically they are creatures of a great deal of magic. The amulet couldn't handle all the mana Clovis was trying to force into it and suffered a physical failure. The explosion we saw that blew Reni through the floor was the crystal reaching its limit and popping off, like a cheap rechargeable battery that got overcharged.
I still think it would be a bit of an anticlimactic way for Clovis to go to simply have the crystal go off on him from an overload. That and with Clovis dead, all that would be left to fight would be Detrius and he doesn't seem to be much of a physical threat.
I doubt that is the last we see of Clovis, I wouldn't be surprised if other side effects happened with the amulets failure. Clovis was wearing a number of magical rings on his fingers and toes, one of them might have saved his fluffy butt from the big boom.
Now i want to see a T-002 style tyrant Clovis.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

#19 Post by rwstyles »

The way the onlookers were talking, it doesn't sound like Clovis survived.

Kyrit
Templar

#20 Post by Kyrit »

rwstyles wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:15 am The way the onlookers were talking, it doesn't sound like Clovis survived.
The onlookers don't even know Clovis is there, so I doubt anyone has looked down the hole Reni came from just yet. They're focused first on making sure Reni is okay

Cinnibar
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#21 Post by Cinnibar »

Warrl wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:01 pm Raine: (steps up sort of alongside Karen, but a couple steps away, and points at Maddie) You, step over that way a bit.
. . . (turns to Reni) If you understand me, nod your head up and down.
Reni: (nods)
Raine: If you know which one of us is Karen, point at her.
Reni: (points at Karen)
Raine: Now point at Raine.
Reni: (does)
Raine: Okay, you're still completely you, but you can't talk to us the way you usually do. Why don't you try some minor magic?
Clovis coming up behind Raine: All right, I will.

mhalpern
Citizen

#22 Post by mhalpern »

Seer has no need to have had trapped the thing, he's tracking him, if he escapes (im going to assume he no longer has the mana reserves to teleport particularly far, if he gets out of the building, a guard can kill him, i think he's more interested in seeing if the thing works, Dragons would be the biggest obstacle to genocide plans

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#23 Post by Tornir »

mhalpern wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:53 pm Seer has no need to have had trapped the thing, he's tracking him, if he escapes (im going to assume he no longer has the mana reserves to teleport particularly far, if he gets out of the building, a guard can kill him, i think he's more interested in seeing if the thing works, Dragons would be the biggest obstacle to genocide plans
All Bran was tracking him through his daughter's livestreaming cat, which got blown up when Reni did. Unless they fly in bird to take over surveillance, they're likely to lose track of him.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#24 Post by Bellhead »

Tornir wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:01 pm
mhalpern wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 5:53 pm Seer has no need to have had trapped the thing, he's tracking him, if he escapes (im going to assume he no longer has the mana reserves to teleport particularly far, if he gets out of the building, a guard can kill him, i think he's more interested in seeing if the thing works, Dragons would be the biggest obstacle to genocide plans
All Bran was tracking him through his daughter's livestreaming cat, which got blown up when Reni did. Unless they fly in a bird to take over surveillance, they're likely to lose track of him.
I'm not so sure that was the case. Possibly, but maybe not. We know his daughter was looking through the eyes of the cat, but is it possible to share that "seer"-ness? Is it even possible to bring an image from somebody's mind into a separate physical apparatus? At this point, I won't rule it out, but it seems more likely to me that Stale-Bran decided to put some sort of surveillance spell on that amulet, connected to that crystal ball of his.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Kyrit
Templar

#25 Post by Kyrit »

Bellhead wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 pm We know his daughter was looking through the eyes of the cat, but is it possible to share that "seer"-ness? Is it even possible to bring an image from somebody's mind into a separate physical apparatus? At this point, I won't rule it out, but it seems more likely to me that Stale-Bran decided to put some sort of surveillance spell on that amulet, connected to that crystal ball of his.
The view that we see from the crystal ball is exactly what the cat would have been seeing; a view from outside the manor looking in and down at Clovis. It even shows the exact bars that are between the cat and Clovis. If Brahn had a spell on the amulet for surveillance I don't think the crystal ball would show the exact same view as the cat. It's far more likely that his daughter is sharing her sight through the crystal ball.

steelabjur
Council Member

#26 Post by steelabjur »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:43 pm
Bellhead wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:29 pm We know his daughter was looking through the eyes of the cat, but is it possible to share that "seer"-ness? Is it even possible to bring an image from somebody's mind into a separate physical apparatus? At this point, I won't rule it out, but it seems more likely to me that Stale-Bran decided to put some sort of surveillance spell on that amulet, connected to that crystal ball of his.
The view that we see from the crystal ball is exactly what the cat would have been seeing; a view from outside the manor looking in and down at Clovis. It even shows the exact bars that are between the cat and Clovis. If Brahn had a spell on the amulet for surveillance I don't think the crystal ball would show the exact same view as the cat. It's far more likely that his daughter is sharing her sight through the crystal ball.
We know telepathy is a thing in TK, and we've seen Reni dig through Trace's memories, a spell that lets you project your thoughts onto a surface (like that of the crystal ball) or the something similar wouldn't be a stretch.

(and speaking of that crystal ball image, have any of you taken a close look at the explosion it showed? Specifically the dark spot in the upper left corner? It looks like a corner of Clovis' cloak and maybe one of his legs...)

detrius
Citizen

#27 Post by detrius »

Joachim de Toul wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:23 pm Let's just hope it's reversible. :reni: :heart: Because this is "potentially problematic". My, that's some terrible dark magic ! Bad, bad Clovis!
Though, I love how :karen: is trying to imitate her. That's too cute. :mrgrin: Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra!
Looking at the situation from a storytelling perspective, I assume this is going to be a justification for her to use her human form more often. So this condition won't be easily reversible, at least for now.
stlsf4003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:00 pm I still think it would be a bit of an anticlimactic way for Clovis to go to simply have the crystal go off on him from an overload. That and with Clovis dead,
With all those magical trinkets in his possession, I think it's possible that he has some kind of insurance for emergencies like this one.

Concepts like "souls" and "lifeforces" are apparently a thing in this setting, so even if Clovis' body was destroyed, mabe he had found a way to continue his existence in some sort of undead fashion?
stlsf4003 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:00 pm all that would be left to fight would be Detrius and he doesn't seem to be much of a physical threat.
Rude!

(Just kidding, I know that was a typo.)

Kyrit
Templar

#28 Post by Kyrit »

steelabjur wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:37 pm
We know telepathy is a thing in TK, and we've seen Reni dig through Trace's memories, a spell that lets you project your thoughts onto a surface (like that of the crystal ball) or the something similar wouldn't be a stretch.

(and speaking of that crystal ball image, have any of you taken a close look at the explosion it showed? Specifically the dark spot in the upper left corner? It looks like a corner of Clovis' cloak and maybe one of his legs...)
There's red on the right side, which is probably Clovis's cloak, yeah, but I don't think the black on the left is his legs. It's on the other side of the blast and matches up with where Reni would have been in this situation, so that's probably Reni getting blasted back through the room's ceiling

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#29 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I agree that is just a projection. I theorized before that breakfast cereal is no seer he only uses her daughter gift to gather information and thus pretend he can see into the future.

I don't think Clovis was blown to pieces and even if he got torn apart i doubt Tom will show it "on camera" he did not shown neither Remus or Romulus corpses.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

steelabjur
Council Member

#30 Post by steelabjur »

Kyrit wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:49 pm

There's red on the right side, which is probably Clovis's cloak, yeah, but I don't think the black on the left is his legs. It's on the other side of the blast and matches up with where Reni would have been in this situation, so that's probably Reni getting blasted back through the room's ceiling
Left side, upper part of the crystal ball, it looks a lot like part of Clovis' cloak with it's gold edge just above the black streak (and Clovis was wearing black pants when we last saw him), you can really see it if you zoom into the picture. The previous view in the crystal was nearly on top of Clovis, and Reni was gearing up for another fire blast, we wouldn't see her in the crystal from that angle. Also, is it me or does Clovis seem to be looking down just before the explosion? You can see the back of his head and ears, like he's looking down and slightly left rather than forward like you'd expect if he was looking toward Reni.

Remember how the fire went around Brutus' body when Reni attacked (if not, see the previously linked page in this comment)? Maybe Clovis left a shield around Brutus, saw the issue and ditched the amulet, and leaped (likely magically assisted via one of his rings) into that protection at the last instant? Brutus was to Clovis' left. Clovis has (to quote Brahn) "so much ego, greed, and paranoia" to suspect a setup/trap and the confidence to plan a way to counter it. It's also worth noting that the moment of the explosion Brahn was distracted by Master Mage and wasn't looking toward the crystal ball during the fateful moment.