Grand Templar

Comic for September 29, 2021: Seer Spies

#1 Post by Dadrobit »

A wild Verha appears! :mrgrin:

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for September 29, 2021: Seer Spies

#2 Post by Eclipse »

I knew it. I knew Brahn was just manipulating Clovis and was planning on taking him out too. But I thought he would be arrested and/or enslaved, not killed as he seems to be implying.

Rafe
Council Member

#3 Post by Rafe »

I wonder who the mage is.
Could it be Mary Graylock?
The amulet was apparently designed (or so Clovis thought) to defend against, possibly even kill, dragons. I just hope Reni isn't badly injured. The thing did just blow stones out of the wall. Think of what happened inside.
Also, if in fact, Clovis is dead, could Natani and Zen be affected - good or bad - in some way?

JC the Supreme Tiger
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#4 Post by JC the Supreme Tiger »

Have we seen Master Mage in-comic before? They look like they're wearing Neutral in the cast page.
Lurk moar; it's never enough.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

#5 Post by tony1695 »

In the scrying orb we can see Reni breathing fire. Then, the explosion.
What exactly happened? Did Clovis manage to get a spell off, did the amulet overload? Was the explosion the intended method to dispose of Clovis? And exactly what purpose was there in sending Clovis in to die? Was he meant to go in and eliminate Trace first?

Or does the amulet have another purpose we simply haven't considered yet?
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

First canon physical appearance of the Master Mage, unless it's someone we know. Unlikely though, given their demeanor... And no, I don't think that's Mary Silverlock.

Continuing from the previous thread, If Chaos and/or Mage are manipulating Brahn, I think they just lost control of him.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#7 Post by Tornir »

So Clovis's attack on the manor was a spur-of-the-moment thing?
I'll confess I thought he was smarter than that. :roll:

The Mage, when we saw him in the group shot of Trace's inner circle, had silver-grey hair, and they were collectively referred to as "these men". These were the people instrumental in her overthrow, so it's highly unlikely the Mage is Mary. We're not seeing his face though, and there may be a reason for that; is he wearing a Mask?

That "Oh!" has a "I never saw that coming! :shock: " feel to it.
Clovis re-iterated the Edinmere attackers magic could protect them from dragon fire (but not from a claw swipe), and that was before he obtained the amulet.
Reni has stated she doesn't have much magical ability, so that explosion is unlikely to have come from her, especially since the last thing we saw of the dungeon battle was Clovis preparing to do something with the amulet.
However...
It's also possible Reni recognised the threat, closed the distance between them, and smashed the amulet into the wall through Clovis's spine; we know what happens when a magically charged artefact is destroyed, so maybe we're going to see Reni lying out in the grounds next to Sealeen and Landen, muttering "...I'm okay!"?

(Also, while it is protected by artistic licence, my understanding of pyrotechnics is that the high speed blast-propelled building debris should have shredded the Seer's kitty.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#8 Post by Bellhead »

Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:32 am snip

However...
It's also possible Reni recognized the threat, closed the distance between them, and smashed the amulet into the wall through Clovis's spine; we know what happens when a magically charged artefact is destroyed, so maybe we're going to see Reni lying out in the grounds next to Sealeen and Landen, muttering "...I'm okay!"?

(Also, while it is protected by artistic licence, my understanding of pyrotechnics is that the high speed blast-propelled building debris should have shredded the Seer's kitty.)
Somehow I doubt Reni would have recognized the power of Clovis' amulet beyond, "powerful magical artifact". Then again, it is a hobby of hers, so.. I dunno. But while it's possible she closed the gap, I doubt that fireball was the amulet exploding. That, and creating a fireball, even an explosive one, should take less effort and less skill than a full-body transformation on another person. Same concept as swinging a sledgehammer versus repairing a watch.

And yeah, cat be ded. Unless magical defenses, which could be possible, given who's controlling it...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Titanium Dragon
Traveler

#9 Post by Titanium Dragon »

Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:32 am So Clovis's attack on the manor was a spur-of-the-moment thing?
Why? None of his actions have been particularly clever. He thinks he's smart, but he's far from the top.
Tony1696 wrote:What exactly happened? Did Clovis manage to get a spell off, did the amulet overload? Was the explosion the intended method to dispose of Clovis? And exactly what purpose was there in sending Clovis in to die? Was he meant to go in and eliminate Trace first?
I mean, given how fast these guys have been killed off, I'd be unsurprised if the amulet did indeed kill him. The only reason I'd hestitate in that conclusion is that Clovis is a recurring character (sort of) which makes it less likely he'll just die here.

But then, Tom has killed off a number of seemingly prominent characters in the past.

I rather suspect that the amulet is not just intended to kill him, though, but to create more damage than that - possibly set the building on fire to drive the group out.

As far as Seer is concerned, Clovis is an entirely disposable minion, and it makes sense that he wants him to be disposed of - that way, no one can trace what happened back to him.

Right now, it all seems that the wolves are being hyperaggressive, which is what he wants (though in truth, that isn't far off).

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#10 Post by Tornir »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:13 pm
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:32 am So Clovis's attack on the manor was a spur-of-the-moment thing?
Why? None of his actions have been particularly clever. He thinks he's smart, but he's far from the top.
Because I thought he considered his own safety and well-being to be of paramount importance. Leading an ill-disciplined team of three into what's been estimated to be one of the most secure locations on the planet was beyond reckless.
Also, if he's responsible for that blast, he's just taken out the walls, which (depending on the layout of the building) were supporting the ceiling and up to three other levels of the manor...
*splat*

Warrl
Grand Templar

#11 Post by Warrl »

No, it was carefully planned... but not by Clovis or any of his crew.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#12 Post by Eclipse »

No, from the sounds of things Brahn has been pushing him into doing this so he can take out Trace and co. and Clovis' gang in one fell swoop. Brahn probably planned the whole thing and used Clovis as a pawn. Not exactly sure how much Brahn's told Clovis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Brahn egged him on and/or stroked his ego to get him to go through with this. Emotional manipulation is a very effective means of fooling someone into doing something stupid like this.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#13 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Regarding our favorite breakfast cereal villain. At this point Clovis is simply a liability running around with a powerful magical amulet. He wanted him to go to the manor, worst case scenario he offs himself in the caos, best case scenario he manages to take out Trace and now Brans is able to take over the templar without anyone interfering.

Of course he is not as smart as he thinks, Clovis may have been tripping on his amulet power but only went to the manor to kill his best and only friend he would have gone there regardless of what AllBran did.

I think the blast is just Reni firing against Clovis. The shield deflecting her breath into the window.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

sotanaht
Traveler

#14 Post by sotanaht »

tony1695 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:38 am In the scrying orb we can see Reni breathing fire. Then, the explosion.
What exactly happened? Did Clovis manage to get a spell off, did the amulet overload? Was the explosion the intended method to dispose of Clovis? And exactly what purpose was there in sending Clovis in to die? Was he meant to go in and eliminate Trace first?

Or does the amulet have another purpose we simply haven't considered yet?
Has mind controlling the dragon been considered? Because that was more or less my first thought when he pulled it out.

mhalpern
Citizen

#15 Post by mhalpern »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:54 am First canon physical appearance of the Master Mage, unless it's someone we know. Unlikely though, given their demeanor... And no, I don't think that's Mary Silverlock.

Continuing from the previous thread, If Chaos and/or Mage are manipulating Brahn, I think they just lost control of him.
If its Chaos, well its in the name, with Clovis out of the picture, they cant capture him and link him to Brahn