Old backup of twokinds

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

thething89
Fav. Twokinds Character: MC

Old backup of twokinds

#1 Post by thething89 »

Hi there. Many many years ago (around 2009) I wrote a small program to download all of twokinds comics. This was during times where some comics had disappeared and I was afraid that I would lose twokinds (which used to be my favorite comics).
While digging through old files, I found the downloaded files on my computer. These are pre book 1and contain quite a few little nuggets of gold and extra pages that I'm not seeing on the current site. Like a few B&W hand-drawn pages from the start:

Fun fact, originally he expected the girl to be magic caster and the guy to be a swordsman but as we soon learned, the story didn't quite develop that way. So during the book 1 re-drawing he fixed it to match the current continuity better. BUT I STILL HAVE THE ORIGINALS :twisted:

final little extra comics:

Image (original page 183)

Do people want me to share these with the community?
I dunno if the artist still has these or has lost them over the years.

Update: Well since people seemed interested: http://cdn.nfp.is/anime/download_twokinds.zip

Null42x86
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kathrin

Re: Old backup of twokinds

#2 Post by Null42x86 »

Yeah very cool!

Everything about twokinds i download so yea

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#3 Post by Kellard »

Oh that's neat. A blast from the past for sure.
Yeah I say go ahead. Maybe there'll be stuff I've never seen before.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#4 Post by AmigaDragon »

Years ago I downloaded an image onto a digital picture frame, it appears to be a pair of templar (in Tom's style), one of which has been unexpectedly transformed into a red dragon. I have recently searched for this image on the 2K site and Deviant Art but have not been able to find it again yet. Any other ideas where to find it?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Warrl
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Warrl »

https://images.google.com/ then click on the camera icon in the search box

thething89
Fav. Twokinds Character: MC

#6 Post by thething89 »

Well since people wanted it, here's a zip file for it. It's 99MB large FYI

http://cdn.nfp.is/anime/download_twokinds.zip

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#7 Post by AmigaDragon »

Warrl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 am https://images.google.com/ then click on the camera icon in the search box
I discovered my phone had that function in it but the image is no longer viewable (corrupted in memory?), though searching through the thumbnails in the frame I found "instant dragon" and googled that.

It still took a bit of scrolling through images to find the right one.
EDIT: BTW, I tried the image search on this and didn't find it that way.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#8 Post by Tornir »

AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:56 pm
Warrl wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:36 am https://images.google.com/ then click on the camera icon in the search box
I discovered my phone had that function in it but the image is no longer viewable (corrupted in memory?), though searching through the thumbnails in the frame I found "instant dragon" and googled that.

\\\\

It still took a bit of scrolling through images to find the right one.
Ah. That was the voting incentive for Nov 16th 2012.

Tornir
Master

#9 Post by Tornir »

I've been collating @thething89 's archive with my own; I found a few files I'd somehow missed, but they were missing the fillers and some crossovers.

One interesting thing is that there are three versions of page 53.
Here's the current version from keenspot:

Here's the one from thething89's archive (saved 2007-08-26):

Finally, here's the older version I had (saved 2004-10-03):

It looks like the formatting changes Tom eventually went back and implemented on the archives were initially rolled out in Nov'08 from page 463 onwards.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

I'd seen the first two, hadn't seen the third. It's interesting to see how the style changed over the years, and I wonder if that whole section will get redrawn entirely after the comic is finished. That would be something to see.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#11 Post by Tornir »

Everything prior to early chapter 11 has already had some reworking; speech bubbles are no longer slightly transparent, some of the dialogue has been rewritten, and some artistic details have been changed. (Euchre now has pants on when fighting Neutral, Alabaster no longer kills the insubordinate soldier who questioned the order to burn down the tavern, for example.)
A complete redraw could take years; would fans want that. or would they prefer sequel/prequel/side-comic production?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I kinda like the second version a bit better. But the one we got seems more faithfull to Tom idea.

I do not think the first arc will ever be redrawn. Not because Tom wouldn't want to but because i do not think he would have time. I think he has other projects he may want to explore once he finishes the comic. Although maybe many years into the future he may decided to just to do it for the kicks.

Also that:
I could say it. I couldnt say I wouldn't betray her.
I know there is a lot of the comic that ended in the cutting room floor. And it is nice to have a small window into the first ideas tom had for this.

Also was the comic ever black and white?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#13 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:28 pm snip

Yes, back in the days of the first few pages. Remember Flora's bell? She was originally a breed of house cat, and in the first color version of her, she was dressed as a tiger for Halloween. And it stuck. He explained it in a sketch titled Proto Flora. It's on his Patreon. Mobile, so no link, sorry.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#14 Post by Tornir »

The five page prequel was initially posted as scans of hand-drawn pages, with no colouring or post processing.
The early chapters also had some partial or uncoloured pages, and fillers were also uncoloured.
Page 26 (chapter 2) is one example; it's now fully coloured, but if you look at the thumbnail on the archive page, that's still showing the original partially coloured version.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:40 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:28 pm snip

Yes, back in the days of the first few pages. Remember Flora's bell? She was originally a breed of house cat, and in the first color version of her, she was dressed as a tiger for Halloween. And it stuck. He explained it in a sketch titled Proto Flora. It's on his Patreon. Mobile, so no link, sorry.
Oh yeah Proto Flora

As i said i am fascinated by the whole creative process, specially on a comic that has been in the works for almost 20 years. (The comic is almost an adult on some jurisdictions) and how it morphs and changes over time. That being said most of those kind of details will be lost to the sands of time :/
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide