Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Comic for September 11, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt3

#1 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Comic for September 11, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt3

That was fast
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for September 11, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt3

#2 Post by Bellhead »

Indeed. Not complaining, though.

And yup, we called it. Stoney is protecting Trace's child with the force of a cornered mother bear. Did not know he could spit fire, though. And Detritus not believing him seems pretty on-point, for the situation.

A predicted outcome, well executed. Nice shots of Stoney, too.

Now I wonder... Would fire hurt Detritus? I mean, I would think so, but who knows...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Yeah Detritus did not believed him and wanted to kill flora. Seems we were right on the money.

And yes Detritus seems to really not like begin burned alive by a stone dragon. I understand he is meant to be a guardian but isn't it fire breath a bit of an overkill when it is already an unstoppable stone golem? What did Trace expected his child to be doing?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

MadMann135
Merchant

#4 Post by MadMann135 »

Trace is the kind of person that will go to extreme lengths to protect those he loves.
A fully sentient fire breathing tank as a babysitter. For most people that would be excessive, for Trace it is enough.
ImageImage

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#5 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:45 am I understand he is meant to be a guardian but isn't it fire breath a bit of an overkill when it is already an unstoppable stone golem? What did Trace expected his child to be doing?
Well, I mean, Stoney *was* enchanted by Nora, and she likes to show off. And 'going to absurd lengths for the people he cares about' has always kinda been Trace's thing. Put those two things together and it's a wonder Stoney isn't decked out in automatic weapons and coming equipped with a built in atomic death ray. >.>

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

#6 Post by rwstyles »

Dark side it is.

Kind of expected for anything Legacy Trace was involved in.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Warrl »

But remember, Stony - being made to protect the child - was made BEFORE Saria died and Trace turned evil.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#8 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:45 am I understand he is meant to be a guardian but isn't it fire breath a bit of an overkill when it is already an unstoppable stone golem? What did Trace expected his child to be doing?
Destroying the Templar Academy in a mock battle? Stoney is a stand-in for Nora, after all.
Might be good for roasting marshmallows too.

*winds back*
Okay, there's no evidence of any damage from the attack by Detritus back in comic 1126. Is this an artistic oversight, am I overestimating the damage, or does Stoney regenerate?
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 am Well, I mean, Stoney *was* enchanted by Nora, and she likes to show off. And 'going to absurd lengths for the people he cares about' has always kinda been Trace's thing. Put those two things together and it's a wonder Stoney isn't decked out in automatic weapons and coming equipped with a built in atomic death ray. >.>
Only seven weeks to go. Stoney dressed as a kaiju cosplaying Rambo would make a cool Halloween costume.

Please do not double post, or is this case triple post. Instead use the edit option to add to your existing post. Back to back posts are not allowed, please review the forum rules.
~Hayate
Last edited by Hayate on Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging Triple Post

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Warrl wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:42 am But remember, Stony - being made to protect the child - was made BEFORE Saria died and Trace turned evil.
He was also created by Nora not Trace.
Tornir wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:21 am
MuonNeutrino wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:06 am Well, I mean, Stoney *was* enchanted by Nora, and she likes to show off. And 'going to absurd lengths for the people he cares about' has always kinda been Trace's thing. Put those two things together and it's a wonder Stoney isn't decked out in automatic weapons and coming equipped with a built in atomic death ray. >.>
Only seven weeks to go. Stoney dressed as a kaiju cosplaying Rambo would make a cool Halloween costume.
Now i cant get this idea out of my head of Traces child summoning Stony and riding him into battle a la Power Rangers...

Anyhow am i the only one who finds Traces wording a bit... Off?
Trace wrote:Protect the Child!
I mean it is his child, that sounds awfully impersonal of him. Maybe it is just me but "protect my son" or "protect my child" would sound less weird.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Warrl
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Warrl »

Tornir wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:16 am *winds back*
Okay, there's no evidence of any damage from the attack by Detritus back in comic 1126. Is this an artistic oversight, am I overestimating the damage, or does Stoney regenerate?
That attack was aimed at Trace; Stoney stepped in front of it. Entirely plausible that an attack intended for a soft fleshy human would bounce off stone and leave no mark.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#11 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

Whoo!!! THAT'S OUR BOYS!!! please stay intact Stoney... I for one want to see this guardian be not just a protector, bit a fill fledged companion for the baby. He deserves the chance at that too. And I also wanna see how the others feel about him x3

:heart: :trace: :heart: :flora: :heart:

Warrl
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Warrl »

And Trace is remembering more and more of his past.

(Or making it up as he goes, but I think he's actually remembering. At least WHEN and WHY Stony was made, if not how.)

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#13 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Warrl wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:56 pm And Trace is remembering more and more of his past.

(Or making it up as he goes, but I think he's actually remembering. At least WHEN and WHY Stony was made, if not how.)
He remembered after the flashback that came just after he and Flora first met Stoney on Page 1,102.

I kinda felt that Detritus wouldn't buy the whole "new lover, new kid" business, but I didn't expect Trace to give Stoneward a direct order to fulfill its renewed purpose, though given the situation I probably should've expected as much. You all get that, right?
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#14 Post by Elemental Templar »

Cpt. H.L. Rodney wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:39 pm Whoo!!! THAT'S OUR BOYS!!! please stay intact Stoney... I for one want to see this guardian be not just a protector, bit a fill fledged companion for the baby. He deserves the chance at that too. And I also wanna see how the others feel about him x3

While the Groups reaction to Stoney is something I very much want to see, I don't see them taking him with them to Lyn'knoll. The main reason being that (in-spite of the fact that Stoneward is probably the only "good" thing from his pre-amnesiac self) Trace has stated that he wishes to leave his past behind and focus on what matters in the present 1 (i.e. Flora and their baby, and his friends). Furthermore, the other main reason that Trace had him made was so that they'd have a lifelong companion just Nora was for him; this seems to imply that he was probably alone for most of life and perhaps even have been orphaned.

Yes, I'm aware that Nora does reference Trace having parents in the Basidian Isle Arc, it doesn't mean that he couldn't have lost them at a young age. Also consider that Red, Traces only childhood friend (as far as we know) grew up as an orphan & grew up alongside Karen and Maren (who lost their father according their character ref sheet). This constant sight of seemingly unfair/unjust loss of innocent people in his childhood probably left him with some degree of trauma and eventually convinced him to try to create a companion for his child that wouldn't die (AKA Stoney); but everything all fell apart when Saria and their unborn child died. Tired of constantly watching/hearing about innocent people dying, he decided to take fate in his own hands attempt to revive Saria; only to result in the genesis of Detritus and his genocidal campaign against all non-human races. I'm not outright saying that Stoney needs to die in-order for the story to be thematically consistent; but I feel that them bringing him with them to Lyn'knoll would kind of defeat one of the major points of character development Trace has had (which are usually even more important in stories with amnesiac protagonists).

Also, the biggest difference from his past up to now is that he actually has friends, people willing to stick by his side in his endeavors and even come to his aid, so I could see him letting go of Stoney as his final act of closure from Saria's death & the strife of his past in it's entirety.2

I do have one other potential resolution for Stoney in-mind though:

He gifts him to Adira as a protector for Maeve. With war on the horizon and plenty of potential dangers; I can't see why she'd say now to a Dragon-enchanted, Fire breathing Golem from the Grand Templar. (Plus having a fire breathing bouncer at a tavern would definitely dissuade drunken brawls)3

*Side Note(s)*:
1) I am aware of the conversation Trace had with Rose about wanting to confront his past so that he could right his wrongs & protect his friends & family; but after this "incident" I think it's safe to say that he'll want to bury this hatchet in its entirety.

2) I also know that the "realizing you have friends" thing would be the same as Keith's resolution with the Heart's Desire spell on the Na'rella, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with repeating story elements if they're done well (Also TK is no stranger to this kind of repetition, looking at how character deaths occur)

3) I haven't forgotten that Adira has been incarcerated by the Templar, but I can imagine when and/or If she gets out she would go straight to Trace seeing as she did save her life once already.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

steelabjur
Council Member

#15 Post by steelabjur »

Elemental Templar wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:21 pm
Cpt. H.L. Rodney wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:39 pm Whoo!!! THAT'S OUR BOYS!!! please stay intact Stoney... I for one want to see this guardian be not just a protector, bit a fill fledged companion for the baby. He deserves the chance at that too. And I also wanna see how the others feel about him x3

While the Groups reaction to Stoney is something I very much want to see, I don't see them taking him with them to Lyn'knoll. The main reason being that (in-spite of the fact that Stoneward is probably the only "good" thing from his pre-amnesiac self) Trace has stated that he wishes to leave his past behind and focus on what matters in the present 1 (i.e. Flora and their baby, and his friends). Furthermore, the other main reason that Trace had him made was so that they'd have a lifelong companion just Nora was for him; this seems to imply that he was probably alone for most of life and perhaps even have been orphaned.

Yes, I'm aware that Nora does reference Trace having parents in the Basidian Isle Arc, it doesn't mean that he couldn't have lost them at a young age. Also consider that Red, Traces only childhood friend (as far as we know) grew up as an orphan & grew up alongside Karen and Maren (who lost their father according their character ref sheet). This constant sight of seemingly unfair/unjust loss of innocent people in his childhood probably left him with some degree of trauma and eventually convinced him to try to create a companion for his child that wouldn't die (AKA Stoney); but everything all fell apart when Saria and their unborn child died. Tired of constantly watching/hearing about innocent people dying, he decided to take fate in his own hands attempt to revive Saria; only to result in the genesis of Detritus and his genocidal campaign against all non-human races. I'm not outright saying that Stoney needs to die in-order for the story to be thematically consistent; but I feel that them bringing him with them to Lyn'knoll would kind of defeat one of the major points of character development Trace has had (which are usually even more important in stories with amnesiac protagonists).

Also, the biggest difference from his past up to now is that he actually has friends, people willing to stick by his side in his endeavors and even come to his aid, so I could see him letting go of Stoney as his final act of closure from Saria's death & the strife of his past in it's entirety.2

I do have one other potential resolution for Stoney in-mind though:

He gifts him to Adira as a protector for Maeve. With war on the horizon and plenty of potential dangers; I can't see why she'd say now to a Dragon-enchanted, Fire breathing Golem from the Grand Templar. (Plus having a fire breathing bouncer at a tavern would definitely dissuade drunken brawls)3

*Side Note(s)*:
1) I am aware of the conversation Trace had with Rose about wanting to confront his past so that he could right his wrongs & protect his friends & family; but after this "incident" I think it's safe to say that he'll want to bury this hatchet in its entirety.

2) I also know that the "realizing you have friends" thing would be the same as Keith's resolution with the Heart's Desire spell on the Na'rella, but I don't see anything inherently wrong with repeating story elements if they're done well (Also TK is no stranger to this kind of repetition, looking at how character deaths occur)

3) I haven't forgotten that Adira has been incarcerated by the Templar, but I can imagine when and/or If she gets out she would go straight to Trace seeing as she did save her life once already.
If they were actually Templars, I suspect they were actually Clovis' minions. They came through the portal in Riftwall, after all, and pretended to be Templar before (twice). Adira might have been grabbed for the same reason Rom used the cuff on Kat...