Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

Re: Comic for September 8, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt2

#32 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:24 am
Tornir wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 pm
Him wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:25 am ...and we already have Mrs. Nibbly and Red to fulfill the pet role.
Also Red? Pretty sure this is a typo.
Oh, I don't know...
Probably need to keep him on a lead, but with some obedience training, he should do okay.
He needs some proper socializing and good training. Raine is the carrot, Flora can be the stick
That would work. Flora was doing a good job training Eric on the ship.
Warrl wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 pm
IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:23 am I guess all we can do now is hope that the now-untrue ideology that Humans and Keidran are genetically incompatible is either overlooked or explained away and that it all works out.
By now there should be a tsunami of inexplicable pregnancies anywhere that teenage humans and equivalent-age keidran live in close proximity.
Honestly i do not think we will see more hybrids until next year in comic time so around 2050 . Keidran women are not fertile year round so mixed couple "can have a good time" without much worry for now. That being said, what about the human lass that keeps a cute male wolf boyfriend?
There'll also be the sex slaves. Human run brothels would not have previously needed to worry about contraception, so depending on the size and popularity of that industry, there could be a significant "off screen" population increase.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#33 Post by IHeartMaeve »

IHeartMaeve wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:23 am I guess all we can do now is hope that the now-untrue ideology that Humans and Keidran are genetically incompatible is either overlooked or explained away and that it all works out.
By now there should be a tsunami of inexplicable pregnancies anywhere that teenage humans and equivalent-age keidran live in close proximity.
Well, I doubt Detritus would be up-to-date on that, that's why I said that I hope it can be explained away/overlooked.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#34 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:36 am -snip-
Honestly i do not think we will see more hybrids until next year in comic time so around 2050 . Keidran women are not fertile year round so mixed couple "can have a good time" without much worry for now. That being said, what about the human lass that keeps a cute male wolf boyfriend?
There'll also be the sex slaves. Human run brothels would not have previously needed to worry about contraception, so depending on the size and popularity of that industry, there could be a significant "off screen" population increase.
Honestly i do not worry about those. First of all we know such things exist but i doubt they are common, most likely something only well-off people like Eric can afford. I suspect the average human cannot afford a normal slave, let alone a sex slave. On the other hand since fertility periods are predictable and/or easy to detect i do believe most of the owners of those establishments would take them off the market for a few days to breed new slaves, because that is the kind of [censored] up world Mekkan is.
IHeartMaeve wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:19 pm
Well, I doubt Detritus would be up-to-date on that, that's why I said that I hope it can be explained away/overlooked.
As i said i doubt the will believe him. He will think real Trace has gone insane at worst or was fooled by Flora at best. Yet again he is a eldritch abomination, maybe he has ways to tell if he is telling the truth. Also clearly Stony can tell it is indeed Trace son.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#35 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:38 pm As i said i doubt the will believe him. He will think real Trace has gone insane at worst or was fooled by Flora at best. Yet again he is a eldritch abomination, maybe he has ways to tell if he is telling the truth. Also clearly Stony can tell it is indeed Trace son.
Or daughter. Don't forget to be inclusive.

Anyhoo, I guess all we can do is wait until the next page for Detritus's response to a statement that one would consider ludicrous at the time of its creation.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#36 Post by Him »

AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:52 pmBeing dragon-made (particularly by Nora), I think Stoney would be capable of leaving with Trace & crew.
It depends entirely on how magic works in this world. I assume Stoney is feed magic from the estate and would be non functional without it. This could also be entirely wrong, it could be self sufficient after being created by Nora, but I doubt it.

Also I like it when characters die. It gives meat to a story. A well liked character like Stoney is a decent target for it too. It's well-liked by fans, has no overt investment story wise so far, and it clearly is the kind of being to make a selfless sacrifice for Trace and his family.
Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 pmAlso Red? Pretty sure this is a typo.
Unfortunately it is humor.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#37 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Him wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:05 am
AmigaDragon wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:52 pmBeing dragon-made (particularly by Nora), I think Stoney would be capable of leaving with Trace & crew.
It depends entirely on how magic works in this world. I assume Stoney is feed magic from the estate and would be non functional without it. This could also be entirely wrong, it could be self sufficient after being created by Nora, but I doubt it.

Also I like it when characters die. It gives meat to a story. A well liked character like Stoney is a decent target for it too. It's well-liked by fans, has no overt investment story wise so far, and it clearly is the kind of being to make a selfless sacrifice for Trace and his family.
Eclipse wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:34 pmAlso Red? Pretty sure this is a typo.
Unfortunately it is humor.
It do not think it makes sense from the perspective of what Stony is meant to be. A guardian and friend for trace's child, not some battery operated toy that can't leave the house. It does beg the questions though: Is stony really alive or just a golem? And since we are talking about Stony it would be nice to have an stony smiley.

Depends on what I am reading. If i am watching a comedy i really do not expect people to start dropping left and right but in this case: Makes narrative sense for stony to die.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#38 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:14 am It do not think it makes sense from the perspective of what Stony is meant to be. A guardian and friend for trace's child, not some battery operated toy that can't leave the house. It does beg the questions though: Is stony really alive or just a golem?
Looking at the official definitions, Stoney is neither. I'd say they're the closest thing to a self-aware artificial intelligence it's possible to create without technology.
Remember they pounced Trace because they were evidently pleased to see him again, in direct violation of a standing "No Glomping" order, and were then chagrined when called out about it? All of that would be beyond the capacity of a standard golem.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#39 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:03 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:14 am It do not think it makes sense from the perspective of what Stony is meant to be. A guardian and friend for trace's child, not some battery operated toy that can't leave the house. It does beg the questions though: Is stony really alive or just a golem?
Looking at the official definitions, Stoney is neither. I'd say they're the closest thing to a self-aware artificial intelligence it's possible to create without technology.
Remember they pounced Trace because they were evidently pleased to see him again, in direct violation of a standing "No Glomping" order, and were then chagrined when called out about it? All of that would be beyond the capacity of a standard golem.
I mean there is magic in this world and Traces asked for "The spark of life" som maybe he is Artificial Life? Personally i think that is way out even Nora league, I still believe he is a magic/robot
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#40 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm
I mean there is magic in this world and Traces asked for "The spark of life" som maybe he is Artificial Life? Personally i think that is way out even Nora league, I still believe he is a magic/robot
This. The way Nora made him, he seems more like an advanced learning AI than a simple golem. If a golem or a guardian is "set" or "programmed" with certain ideologies, rules, guidelines etc., they can't move or act beyond them. However, if such a creature is built with the capability of learning and/or adapting to changing situations, it would give them the ability to act outside of their prior instruction, even if they're not alive. Couple that with being around expressive people for an amount of time, and you have a creature that's capable of acting damn near human.

Or Nora could have simply created Stoney, given him the power needed to protect Trace's child, and given him a (would have to be rather lengthy) list of things that would make him act like he was alive. You know, "disobey small things, then act ashamed", or "be happy to see Trace whenever he returns, with tail wag and pounce". But that wouldn't be giving Nora enough credit, and she's a several-thousand-year-old creature made of magic, with a sense of humor and immeasurable power.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#41 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:07 pm This. The way Nora made him, he seems more like an advanced learning AI than a simple golem. If a golem or a guardian is "set" or "programmed" with certain ideologies, rules, guidelines etc., they can't move or act beyond them. However, if such a creature is built with the capability of learning and/or adapting to changing situations, it would give them the ability to act outside of their prior instruction, even if they're not alive. Couple that with being around expressive people for an amount of time, and you have a creature that's capable of acting damn near human.

Or Nora could have simply created Stoney, given him the power needed to protect Trace's child, and given him a (would have to be rather lengthy) list of things that would make him act like he was alive. But that wouldn't be giving Nora enough credit.
There has been a lot of speculation that Stoney and Detritus behave like AIs, but they were made with magic. I don't think we can presume such limitations on them, even ignoring that fiction typically takes a lot of liberties with the capabilities of AI for story purposes. I think Detritus in particular is some kind of fragment or reflection of old Trace's memories and personality.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#42 Post by Bellhead »

aitaituo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:11 pm
Bellhead wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:07 pm This. The way Nora made him, he seems more like an advanced learning AI than a simple golem. If a golem or a guardian is "set" or "programmed" with certain ideologies, rules, guidelines etc., they can't move or act beyond them. However, if such a creature is built with the capability of learning and/or adapting to changing situations, it would give them the ability to act outside of their prior instruction, even if they're not alive. Couple that with being around expressive people for an amount of time, and you have a creature that's capable of acting damn near human.

Or Nora could have simply created Stoney, given him the power needed to protect Trace's child, and given him a (would have to be rather lengthy) list of things that would make him act like he was alive. But that wouldn't be giving Nora enough credit.
There has been a lot of speculation that Stoney and Detritus behave like AIs, but they were made with magic. I don't think we can presume such limitations on them, even ignoring that fiction typically takes a lot of liberties with the capabilities of AI for story purposes. I think Detritus in particular is some kind of fragment or reflection of old Trace's memories and personality.
Detritus seems to be a copy of Old Trace, pretty clearly. Emotions, rage, and all. But if a someone's personality can be copied, would it not make sense for an extremely powerful being to make one, even if it is a simple one?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Cpt. H.L. Rodney
New Citizen

#43 Post by Cpt. H.L. Rodney »

It's been so long. Has it been a year already since we've last seen them? ;A; they deserve more attention and development... And I'm actually rather happy that Flora's pregnancy is getting attention again. That baby bump looks so cute in this one! x3 Tom's been getting so much better at drawing that.

As for what Trace is doing - not sure if it's a good or bad idea? May be both?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#44 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:07 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:45 pm
This. The way Nora made him, he seems more like an advanced learning AI than a simple golem. If a golem or a guardian is "set" or "programmed" with certain ideologies, rules, guidelines etc., they can't move or act beyond them. However, if such a creature is built with the capability of learning and/or adapting to changing situations, it would give them the ability to act outside of their prior instruction, even if they're not alive. Couple that with being around expressive people for an amount of time, and you have a creature that's capable of acting damn near human.

Or Nora could have simply created Stoney, given him the power needed to protect Trace's child, and given him a (would have to be rather lengthy) list of things that would make him act like he was alive. You know, "disobey small things, then act ashamed", or "be happy to see Trace whenever he returns, with tail wag and pounce". But that wouldn't be giving Nora enough credit, and she's a several-thousand-year-old creature made of magic, with a sense of humor and immeasurable power.
So even not alive by any standard definition would you consider Stony sentient or sapient? I know Nora is very powerfull, but creating life? I think that is above her paygrade
aitaituo wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:11 pm

Just for the record even state of the art machine learning is incapable of acting even like Stony. Not that we We have not tried

I do believe Detritus is based on Trace, but not a copy per se, he simply imprinted some aspects of his personality onto whatever Detritus is.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#45 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:14 am And since we are talking about Stony it would be nice to have an stony smiley.
*slaps on some pixels*
Would this do?