Comic for September 8, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for September 8, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt2

#1 Post by Bellhead »

So Detritus does remember the child. And a daughter, it seems. So it didn't just inherit his madness, but also his depression as well... It seems he really did try to copy himself.

Also, given Stoneward's and Detritus' reactions to that bombshell, I do have to wonder... I'd bet Detritus' response would be disbelief and attack, while Stoneward would simply stand confused... Unless Trace or Flora get injured. He might even lurch to protect Flora, if he believes what Trace is saying here.

Wait.. Is Stoney cracking under those tendrils? Or is that just me? I hope it's just me.

This is what I get for spam-checking the comic at work every time I get a free second.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

PkmnTrainerLucas
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

Re: Comic for September 8, 2021: Detritus vs Stone pt2

#2 Post by PkmnTrainerLucas »

Oh boy, I'm hoping to see Stoney understanding that he now has a purpose again and protects Flora along with the child he'll be the Guardian and friend of!

Eclipse
Templar Master

#3 Post by Eclipse »

Revealing that to Detritus might turn out to be a mistake, he's probably going to go berserk and kill them all now.

IHeartMaeve
Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve, obviously.

#4 Post by IHeartMaeve »

Well, I don't know about any of you, but I think it's safe to say that if this revelation doesn't stop Detritus's rampage, nothing will.

I guess all we can do now is hope that the now-untrue ideology that Humans and Keidran are genetically incompatible is either overlooked or explained away and that it all works out.
Maeve is so cute, they're thinking of renaming the Pokémon Ability known as Cute Charm, so it becomes "Maeve Charm."

Elemental Templar
Merchant

#5 Post by Elemental Templar »

Eclipse wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:04 pm Revealing that to Detritus might turn out to be a mistake, he's probably going to go berserk and kill them all now.
I was thinking the same the same thing, while I get that Trace was trying to cement his resolve; I also can't deny that this was possibly the dumbest thing he could've possibly said to Detritus.
"There are Two kinds of people in this world:
Those who wait for change, and those who make changes themselves. Which one are you?" -Anonymous

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Elemental Templar wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:05 am
Eclipse wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:04 pm Revealing that to Detritus might turn out to be a mistake, he's probably going to go berserk and kill them all now.
I was thinking the same the same thing, while I get that Trace was trying to cement his resolve; I also can't deny that this was possibly the dumbest thing he could've possibly said to Detritus.
Oh, he could definitely have handled it better than that. Maybe he could have talked about moving past his pain, and looking forward? Not blaming himself or an entire species for the actions of a lone thief? Nah, we'll lead off with, "Yeah, that race I tried to kill? Imma marry one, and BTW I got her pregnant." So, that's a thing.

To be fair, though, from a storytelling perspective, it does a pretty good job of showing his resolve, and confidence. But knowing who he used to be, I could also see Detritus completely rejecting his supposed "reform" the same way Maren did, initially. That said, Stoney's initial purpose was as an intelligent friend and guardian who, even now, instinctively protects Trace. Now that Trace has informed him that he has a child on the way, Stoney may well snap and imprint on the unborn child, defending it like a cornered mother, as it were. If memory serves, he was made before Saria's death (wouldn't make sense otherwise), so he may have been devastated as well, depending on how well Nora programmed him. And fear of that happening again, and resolve to stop it, may well work in Trace and Flora's favor against Detritus, even more than it already was.

But there is absolutely no way Detritus isn't going to go absolutely POSTAL after hearing that.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#7 Post by Eclipse »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:55 am
Oh, he could definitely have handled it better than that. Maybe he could have talked about moving past his pain, and looking forward? Not blaming himself or an entire species for the actions of a lone thief? Nah, we'll lead off with, "Yeah, that race I tried to kill? Imma marry one, and BTW I got her pregnant." So, that's a thing.

To be fair, though, from a storytelling perspective, it does a pretty good job of showing his resolve, and confidence. But knowing who he used to be, I could also see Detritus completely rejecting his supposed "reform" the same way Maren did, initially. That said, Stoney's initial purpose was as an intelligent friend and guardian who, even now, instinctively protects Trace. Now that Trace has informed him that he has a child on the way, Stoney may well snap and imprint on the unborn child, defending it like a cornered mother, as it were. If memory serves, he was made before Saria's death (wouldn't make sense otherwise), so he may have been devastated as well, depending on how well Nora programmed him. And fear of that happening again, and resolve to stop it, may well work in Trace and Flora's favor against Detritus, even more than it already was.

But there is absolutely no way Detritus isn't going to go absolutely POSTAL after hearing that.
Yeah, I do agree with you and PkmnTrainerLucas that Stoney is going to be more resolved to protect Flora after hearing that, knowing that he has a second chance now (I am very eager to see how the kid gets along with Stoney when the time comes). But again, in front of Detritus is not the time or place to tell him.

Elio
Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora,remi

#8 Post by Elio »

And now stoney levels up due to flora with trace's child makes stoney have more reason to protect flora now more than anything he has a job to do again!...

"Nuclear magikal stone dragon powering up detected!" Best battletech/mechwarrior voice warning ever seems to fit for this page since trace just let the pardon the pun cat out of its bag may be what actually make go back to normalacy for what every that is.. :flora:

steelabjur
Council Member

#9 Post by steelabjur »

Elio wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:49 am And now stoney levels up due to flora with trace's child makes stoney have more reason to protect flora now more than anything he has a job to do again!...

"Nuclear magikal stone dragon powering up detected!" Best battletech/mechwarrior voice warning ever seems to fit for this page since trace just let the pardon the pun cat out of its bag may be what actually make go back to normalacy for what every that is.. :flora:
I agree, notice Stoney's eyes in that last panel? Went from simply glowing to emitting actual flame.

Tornir
Master

#10 Post by Tornir »

Detritus is going to be appalled at this news; it'll be seen as a betrayal of both Old Trace's values, and of Saria. I suspect Flora just became Detritus' priority target. :(

If they all survive this, I bet Flora's going to be stuck with Stoney until the baby arrives.
I wonder if he can do big sappy grins?

Also, I wonder if Sythe is hearing this?
He wasn't fully convinced when Flora told him, now he could be hearing confirmation from Trace.

HSishi
Citizen

#11 Post by HSishi »

My thoughts as well.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:55 am

From a narrative standpoint I really like the scene. Shows trace resolution and finally growing a backbone and stand up and defend what he loves instead of just trying to run away after sending the world into war.

Honestly I don't think Detritus will believe him. Why? Up to a couple months it was impossible for them to conceive and it is still common knowledge it is impossible. Detritus will probably think real Trace went insane or that Flora is just lying to him because again why wouldn't he?

And while she monologues about the insanity of Trace and the tragedy that a Keidran harlot convinced she had a child of him. Ultra Stony will smash him into a paste.

Maybe the word of detritus will sow some doubt into trace head. And we May actually see his old self, eventually, it would be a shame if the whole climax ended after fighting Trace malfunctioning Alexa/home automation and a concussed mobster
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:12 am Detritus is going to be appalled at this news; it'll be seen as a betrayal of both Old Trace's values, and of Saria. I suspect Flora just became Detritus' priority target. :(

If they all survive this, I bet Flora's going to be stuck with Stoney until the baby arrives.
I wonder if he can do big sappy grins?

Also, I wonder if Sythe is hearing this?
He wasn't fully convinced when Flora told him, now he could be hearing confirmation from Trace.
If he believes him sure he will try to attack Flora but again i don't think he will believe what he said. Stony seems more receptive though.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#13 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:44 pm From a narrative standpoint I really like the scene. Shows trace resolution and finally growing a backbone and stand up and defend what he loves instead of just trying to run away after sending the world into war.

Honestly I don't think Detritus will believe him. Why? Up to a couple months it was impossible for them to conceive and it is still common knowledge it is impossible. Detritus will probably think real Trace went insane or that Flora is just lying to him because again why wouldn't he?

And while she monologues about the insanity of Trace and the tragedy that a Keidran harlot convinced she had a child of him. Ultra Stony will smash him into a paste.

Maybe the word of detritus will sow some doubt into trace head. And we May actually see his old self, eventually, it would be a shame if the whole climax ended after fighting Trace malfunctioning Alexa/home automation and a concussed mobster

If he believes him sure he will try to attack Flora but again i don't think he will believe what he said. Stony seems more receptive though.
Even if D doesn't believe Trace, aren't they still going to view Flora as the temptress deceiver who needs to die for getting in the way of Trace's co-operation with the Saria project?
I'm expecting Stony's support to be swiftly positive though. He was built to befriend and guard Traces child, he wasn't built to question Trace's word.

I wonder if you could reconfigure an Alexa to respond to "Roselyn"?

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#14 Post by stlsf4003 »

Well at least Stony now has something to truly fight for. While on the Down side, Trace my have just pressed Detritus' nuclear button.....

Any bets that he's now gonna bring the manor down on their heads over this?
the lurking furry railroader

Warrl
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Warrl »

IMHO, Trace needed for Stony to hear that.

Also having Detritus her it was sub-optimal, but under the circumstances there weren't a lot of options at that point. (Maybe should have told Stony sooner.)