Comic for August 10, 2021: Sythe and the Hallway

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for August 10, 2021: Sythe and the Hallway

#16 Post by Bellhead »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:09 pm I personally wouldn't keep an armory near the dungeons, for obvious reasons. :wink:
I'd bet a lot of places would, for equally obvious reasons. Though for the dungeons below a high society manor inhabited by a madman Grand Templar with seemingly infinite power and little regard for human life, having any sort of well-stocked armory likely wouldn't be very necessary.. Unless he employed estate guards, or dungeon guards for some reason. I suppose it's possible, but Old Trace was pretty certain that there wasn't a problem that couldn't be solved with magic. It would be a pretty cheap move to have that mentality, then turn around and hire regular guards who could wander where they shouldn't.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#17 Post by Dreamfox »

Bellhead wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:34 pm Old Trace was pretty certain that there wasn't a problem that couldn't be solved with magic.
Thank you. That made something klick for me. Trace also worked with the senses he had. While I don't know yet how Nibbly knew something was going on up here (my theories there clash a bit), it is easy to explain how she knew the wall was fake. Two other people, one she has known for a while now, recently walked through here and she followed their scent. None of the wolves noticed it probably because they either didn't walk this way or simply didn't pay attention.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#18 Post by Tornir »

steelabjur wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:09 pm We know the defence system wasn't totally down by the time Clovis broke in (it tried to give him a zap, at least).
At that point, it was still up; I believe Reni was stuck in the Oasis room until just before Clovis reached the dungeon. (I think Romulus and Remus were already dead by then, too)

Digressing a bit, while going back and forth through the different story lines for synchronization, I looked again at the page where Clovis explicitly states the intention to free the prisoners, and then at the final interaction with Brutus.
Now I'm considering that Nora didn't put Clovis in the same situation as Natani; a male mind in a female body, Nora made her a 100% female foxwolf. Clovis killed Brutus because she realized she was in love* with him, and the danger she was in from the rest of the guild because of that.

*But not as much as she loves herself.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#19 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Ok this in interesting Tom is building up some tension i see.

Regarding Nibs i suppose she used her awesome squirrel powers. No for real she has spent a lot of time in close proximity of Maren and probably can track her by smell which is not hidden by the perception spell. That is again why old trace should have put a normal door behind the perception distorsión and before the stone golem but i digress. The rest of the cast never step close the area nor had any scent they could follow. So nibs did not had to use her eldritch powers in this ocassion. (I also suspect she can feel mana/magic surges whatever she is)

Speaking of scents wonder if Rose projection had any smell? I mean otherwise it would have been suspicious for half of the cast who have wolf noses...

On the other handbow that nibs led Sythe to the greenhouse is is gonna be only him, Flora, syony and Trace against detritus? I mean neither of the rest of the cast can pierce the perception spell.

I figure Trace and co will deal with Detritus in some way or form while the rest deal with Clovis. I do expect to see old Trace to pop up before the end of the chapter. And i guess before he can be defeat detritus can cause Trace to regress into his old self.

I do still hope we get to see a Raine vs Old Trace fight in this chapter or at least Clovis getting mauled by Dark traces and/or his zombified minions.
Tornir wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:42 pm
steelabjur wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:09 pm We know the defence system wasn't totally down by the time Clovis broke in (it tried to give him a zap, at least).
At that point, it was still up; I believe Reni was stuck in the Oasis room until just before Clovis reached the dungeon. (I think Romulus and Remus were already dead by then, too)

Digressing a bit, while going back and forth through the different story lines for synchronization, I looked again at the page where Clovis explicitly states the intention to free the prisoners, and then at the final interaction with Brutus.
Now I'm considering that Nora didn't put Clovis in the same situation as Natani; a male mind in a female body, Nora made her a 100% female foxwolf. Clovis killed Brutus because she realized she was in love* with him, and the danger she was in from the rest of the guild because of that.

*But not as much as she loves herself.
Sort of i believe Clovis blamed his feelings towards Brutus into his curse. But once he finally dispelled it those emotions did not go away. That is when he decided to kill him.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#20 Post by Thomas Rot »

The Nibbly card has been played, then. Short of dei ex machina nobody else has a way into the greenhouse — Maddie and Karen don't even remember having been there. No matter what helps Trace and company out of this, ideally with everyone alive, all the players are now present for whatever it is to be set in motion.
Tornir wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:43 am
tony1695 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:38 am The illusion probably then broke for Sythe because now he knew that something was up with that spot. He knew, on some level, that there was meant to be something there for him to see, which would allow him to see past what the magic wanted him to see.
I'm trying to synchronize all the threads in my head; does the rumble Sythe noticed co-inside with the rumble Roan and Brutus noticed, that appears to have been caused by Reni trashing the Oasis Room? That broke the estate's magic down there, has it unravelled all the way to the third floor?
If that's the case, what are the implications for Rose? That was what was keeping her functional.
I don't think it is. Roan and Brutus heard the noise just before Clovis reached the dungeons, right around the time the twins were parting ways at the top of the staircase. On the other hand, Sythe is hearing this long after leaving Remus on the mansion floor. I've been trying to line up the timelines myself and this feels closer in time to Reni meeting Clovis — which is also pretty much the only other event going on that might cause the entire mansion to rumble like that. Either it's a result of the confrontation itself or something during the fight that caused the estate's systems to break.
Tornir wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:43 am Is that roar he heard the one Stoney gave after Detritus stabbed him?
Seems pretty likely. Could be Stoney, could be Reni down in the dungeons, but Stoney is right in front of him through an open door and Reni is at least three floors down.

Speaking of that open door… just about everything in that room is within a direct line of sight from where Sythe is standing now. Ominous red light, undead suspended Rose, Maren stuck in the crystal, weird black goopy abomination, master of the estate under attack. At least Trace and Flora (and, unknowingly, Maddie) didn't get their minds blown open all at once.

Whenever Detritus turns away from trying to murder Trace he's also going to notice a new presence, someone who would count as an "interruption of the ritual". Wonder what else he was programmed to do in response to those? Stoney didn't seem to be taking it well.

Esn
New Citizen

#21 Post by Esn »

Thomas Rot wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 am The Nibbly card has been played, then. Short of dei ex machina nobody else has a way into the greenhouse — Maddie and Karen don't even remember having been there. No matter what helps Trace and company out of this, ideally with everyone alive, all the players are now present for whatever it is to be set in motion.
Not quite. It is just possible that Lynn discovered or suspected of the room. Remember his interaction with Sealeen? "I can't see very well"... presumably then, he's more likely to have discovered it and be able to get through, just like Nibbly. We've seen that he's a better spy than Maddie, and better at remaining undetected. Though I don't think he's going to get into the room and try something heroic even if he's aware it's there.

There are also a bunch of folk outside the estate - Sealeen and Landen, that cat who's the eyes of Brahn's daughter, Adira's daughter, Euchre.

My current best guess about Lynn's role is that he will be instrumental in bringing in help from someone currently outside the estate at the key time, rather than doing anything heroic himself. Serving in his traditional role of the "messenger". But we'll see.

Tornir
Master

#22 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am So nibs did not had to use her eldritch powers in this ocassion. (I also suspect she can feel mana/magic surges whatever she is)
On the other handbow that nibs led Sythe to the greenhouse is is gonna be only him, Flora, syony and Trace against detritus? I mean neither of the rest of the cast can pierce the perception spell.
I'm don't think that's the case. Karen knew the wall shouldn't be there, but while she was focussed on it when trying to escape, it appeared solid to her senses, including touch. Sythe was WTFing at Nibs walking through a wall, then it appears his perceptions suddenly stopped being messed with and his brain is trying to rationalize away the wall/no wall paradox. Did the spell just fail due to estate system failure, or did Nibs ascertain he couldn't get through without help and somehow cancel it? Whatever the reason, I think the hallway is now open for all.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am Speaking of scents wonder if Rose projection had any smell? I mean otherwise it would have been suspicious for half of the cast who have wolf noses...
It would make sense that it did.
Another point...
Rose said her shapeshifting required mana, unlike Euchre; as a projection, would that requirement be cancelled?
For that matter, could Rose shift to be anyone, if she wished, or would that be one of the restrictions Old Trace placed on her?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am I do still hope we get to see a Raine vs Old Trace fight in this chapter...
Would that be a good idea?
Old Trace, with all his knowledge, magical mastery, and hatred of Keidran, vs an untrained tyro who's currently part wolf, and as such likely restricted to magical endeavours (other than shifting) requiring mana crystals, which she isn't currently carrying? Wipeout...
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am Sort of i believe Clovis blamed his feelings towards Brutus into his curse. But once he finally dispelled it those emotions did not go away. That is when he decided to kill him.
Has she actually dispelled it?
I thought she'd just been using a perception spell similar to Natani's
Thomas Rot wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 am Speaking of that open door… just about everything in that room is within a direct line of sight from where Sythe is standing now. Ominous red light, undead suspended Rose, Maren stuck in the crystal, weird black goopy abomination, master of the estate under attack. At least Trace and Flora (and, unknowingly, Maddie) didn't get their minds blown open all at once.
I think the view is a bit more restricted than that. Crystallized Maren should be visible, but suspended Rose may be blocked by the top of the door frame until he gets closer.
Detritus is currently moving around, so I can't say if he's visible or not. (I would guess not, as Sythe hasn't freaked out (yet).)

Please avoid double posting. If you have more to add please use the "edit" option to tag it onto your last post instead of making two posts back to back.
~Hayate
Last edited by Hayate on Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Merging double post.

Rafe
Council Member

#23 Post by Rafe »

My question is, where is the "ROAAAR!" coming from? and why?
Stoney is the obvious choice (although other dragons might be around. Nibly seems a bit calm for that.)

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#24 Post by Thomas Rot »

Esn wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:17 am
Thomas Rot wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:38 am The Nibbly card has been played, then. Short of dei ex machina nobody else has a way into the greenhouse — Maddie and Karen don't even remember having been there. No matter what helps Trace and company out of this, ideally with everyone alive, all the players are now present for whatever it is to be set in motion.
Not quite. It is just possible that Lynn discovered or suspected of the room. Remember his interaction with Sealeen? "I can't see very well"... presumably then, he's more likely to have discovered it and be able to get through, just like Nibbly. We've seen that he's a better spy than Maddie, and better at remaining undetected. Though I don't think he's going to get into the room and try something heroic even if he's aware it's there.

There are also a bunch of folk outside the estate - Sealeen and Landen, that cat who's the eyes of Brahn's daughter, Adira's daughter, Euchre.

My current best guess about Lynn's role is that he will be instrumental in bringing in help from someone currently outside the estate at the key time, rather than doing anything heroic himself. Serving in his traditional role of the "messenger". But we'll see.
Agree with the bolded. Even if Lynn were actually visually impaired to that extent (and at least one part of his conversation with Sealeen turned out to be an exaggeration at best so who knows just how unreliable a narrator he might be when talking about himself), it seems unlikely that Trace’s illusion field could be defeated just by visual impairment. Maddie’s and Karen’s other senses were obviously being messed with both before and during their time in the corridor. Then again this is the same illusion field that was defeated by two kids not looking where they were going, so who knows.

Thematically speaking, Lynn (or anyone else mentioned here) entering the greenhouse wouldn’t make sense either. The character interactions we have seen in similar conditions have hewed close to a certain dynamic: Nibbly saved Sythe, Kat was rescued by Zen and Eric, Raine’s actions saved her entire group and the couples lean on each other for support. Nobody among the minor cast mentioned (aside from possibly Euchre, more on him in a minute) has a reason to be here. I forgot to note earlier that Sythe completes this tableau, in a sense: of course this scene would play out with the quartet of couples and ex-couples all together, emblematic of the changes triggered by Trace’s actions, to face the consequences of Trace’s other actions.

As for Euchre, given his past actions it’s hard to see him as anything other than puppetmaster or deus ex machina if he intervenes. Which wouldn’t be called for either. Trace is here to face a problem he himself literally created and Euchre pulling him out of it by the scruff of his neck defeats that purpose.
Tornir wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:30 am I think the view is a bit more restricted than that. Crystallized Maren should be visible, but suspended Rose may be blocked by the top of the door frame until he gets closer.
Detritus is currently moving around, so I can't say if he's visible or not. (I would guess not, as Sythe hasn't freaked out (yet).)
Well, it is a pretty big door.

Going back and looking at the original corridor fight, Maddie ended up injured somewhere down the corridor — depending on how far she managed to run before Stoney kicked her into the side wall — and still got a full view of both Detritus and suspended Rose. Detritus is more or less standing directly in front of the crystal right now, though, and a black-magic animatronic twice the size of actual Trace is pretty hard to miss, so ironically Maren may be the least visible point of interest in the room.

MaverickMopete
Citizen

#25 Post by MaverickMopete »

It never fails. It's always when you end up somewhere important that you realize you're not wearing pants.

Or in Sythe's case, it seems, not wearing -anything-.

Tornir
Master

#26 Post by Tornir »

Thomas Rot wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:27 pm As for Euchre, given his past actions it’s hard to see him as anything other than puppetmaster or deus ex machina if he intervenes. Which wouldn’t be called for either. Trace is here to face a problem he himself literally created and Euchre pulling him out of it by the scruff of his neck defeats that purpose.
Also, Euchre knows Rose hasn't forgiven him; she's threatened to turn him into a farm animal if he visits, so the chance of any direct intervention on his part is, I think, extremely remote.

Warrl
Grand Templar

#27 Post by Warrl »

About the disappearing wall: at this point, I think the following is consistent with what we've seen - or at least with what I remember:

(a) if you are aware that there's a passage behind it, you can go through it.

(b) if there's someone alive in the passage (entirely in, not with a tail still in the main hall), the wall disappears.

(Stoney is normally just a statue, not alive. Whether he counts as alive while animated is unknown.)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#28 Post by Bellhead »

Warrl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:43 pm About the disappearing wall: at this point, I think the following is consistent with what we've seen - or at least with what I remember:

(b) if there's someone alive in the passage (entirely in, not with a tail still in the main hall), the wall disappears.

(Stoney is normally just a statue, not alive. Whether he counts as alive while animated is unknown.)
Counterpoint:

A: If you SEE someone go through it, it disappears for you, and you alone.

B: Possible, but doubtful. If Trace happened to be in that corridor when a guest walked by, things would get rather awkward, rather quickly. So I doubt he'd do it that way.

Stoney: While he (she?) can pose as a statue, being made of stone and all, I doubt he actually has "animated" vs "dormant" states beyond holding still and moving. It would make far more sense to me to have a stone guardian hold perfectly still in the presence of the enemy, and attack at the precise moment of greatest effect, cue "Beauty And The Beast" reference, which is what we saw with Maddie and Karen.

Stoney especially, since he was made for Trace's child, as a friend and guardian. If the child is to trust the guardian, who has a "Spark of Life" as Trace put it, then said guardian would logically be active by default, anyway. And it's not as if a stone guardian is incapable of imitating a stone statue.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#29 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Tornir wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:14 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am Horrible grammar and spelling
I'm don't think that's the case. Karen knew the wall shouldn't be there, but while she was focussed on it when trying to escape, it appeared solid to her senses, including touch. Sythe was WTFing at Nibs walking through a wall, then it appears his perceptions suddenly stopped being messed with and his brain is trying to rationalize away the wall/no wall paradox. Did the spell just fail due to estate system failure, or did Nibs ascertain he couldn't get through without help and somehow cancel it? Whatever the reason, I think the hallway is now open for all.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am Speaking of scents wonder if Rose projection had any smell? I mean otherwise it would have been suspicious for half of the cast who have wolf noses...
It would make sense that it did.
Another point...
Rose said her shapeshifting required mana, unlike Euchre; as a projection, would that requirement be cancelled?
For that matter, could Rose shift to be anyone, if she wished, or would that be one of the restrictions Old Trace placed on her?
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am I do still hope we get to see a Raine vs Old Trace fight in this chapter...
Would that be a good idea?
Old Trace, with all his knowledge, magical mastery, and hatred of Keidran, vs an untrained tyro who's currently part wolf, and as such likely restricted to magical endeavours (other than shifting) requiring mana crystals, which she isn't currently carrying? Wipeout...
Technic[Bot] wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:31 am Sort of i believe Clovis blamed his feelings towards Brutus into his curse. But once he finally dispelled it those emotions did not go away. That is when he decided to kill him.
Has she actually dispelled it?
I thought she'd just been using a perception spell similar to Natani's
We do not even know what Roses's projection is/was: If it was a simple perception spell, yo see and feel her there, there is likely no need for her to use any mana at all, shw would not even have to transform on the first place. If it is some sort of golem, then some mana may be required to alter appearance but i doubt much.

Raine has been mentioned, on her ref sheet, as having the highest mana capacity/many potential of anyone, except dragons, although almost completely untrained. So i could see her on one desperate last stand to defend her friends she manages a big burst that manages to overpower Old Trace just enough for Good Guy Trace to reassert control. Also the girl has a bone to pick with Trace, he overthrew her mother, turned her into a wolf, blackmailed her father and sold her into slavery. That has to be addressed at some point.

Yes apparently the amulet Brahn gave him managed to reverse the curse. Regarding Nat, does not use a perception spell the bandages are enchanted with a "bag of holding" like spell. He has tried to create a perception based spell before but so far failed.
Bellhead wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:09 pm
Warrl wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:43 pm About the disappearing wall: at this point, I think the following is consistent with what we've seen - or at least with what I remember:

Counterpoint:

A: If you SEE someone go through it, it disappears for you, and you alone.

B: Possible, but doubtful. If Trace happened to be in that corridor when a guest walked by, things would get rather awkward, rather quickly. So I doubt he'd do it that way.

Stoney: While he (she?) can pose as a statue, being made of stone and all, I doubt he actually has "animated" vs "dormant" states beyond holding still and moving. It would make far more sense to me to have a stone guardian hold perfectly still in the presence of the enemy, and attack at the precise moment of greatest effect, cue "Beauty And The Beast" reference, which is what we saw with Maddie and Karen.

Stoney especially, since he was made for Trace's child, as a friend and guardian. If the child is to trust the guardian, who has a "Spark of Life" as Trace put it, then said guardian would logically be active by default, anyway. And it's not as if a stone guardian is incapable of imitating a stone statue.
The more we analyze that spell the less and less sense it makes. Old Trace seemed to be really overconfident of his own skills. Kinda like that on the character. Despite being indeed gifted his own perception is still warped. He is not as good as he believes and his overconfidence makes him make stupid mistakes and result to convoluted solutions.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#30 Post by AmigaDragon »

Warrl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 am Better question: How come none of the wolves ever noticed a different smell there?
They never made it to the 3rd floor (nor had reason to). They were targeting Zen and Sythe on the 2nd.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen