Comic for August 10, 2021: Sythe and the Hallway

#1 Post by Aevere »

Spoiler! Sketch

There be squirrels in the walls.

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for August 10, 2021: Sythe and the Hallway

#2 Post by tony1695 »

Well this isn't proof that something is up with Ms. Nibbly, before anyone starts shouting that it is. After all, why would Evil!Trace ever expect anyone to bring an animal to that exact spot? Let alone into the manor without his approval? It really only makes sense for it to work on anyone who could enter and actually cause a problem by revealing it.

The illusion probably then broke for Sythe because now he knew that something was up with that spot. He knew, on some level, that there was meant to be something there for him to see, which would allow him to see past what the magic wanted him to see.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Warrl
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Warrl »

Better question: How come none of the wolves ever noticed a different smell there?

trantor
Apprentice

#4 Post by trantor »

Warrl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 am Better question: How come none of the wolves ever noticed a different smell there?
Because it was blocked by magic? But we all know that Nibbly is far more powerful and it looks like that she can't be tricked by that.

But at last and luckily the cavalry arrived for Trace and Stoney. And by that I mean not Sythe. :squirrel: :squirrel: Squirrelpower activated :grin:

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#5 Post by Tornir »

tony1695 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:38 am The illusion probably then broke for Sythe because now he knew that something was up with that spot. He knew, on some level, that there was meant to be something there for him to see, which would allow him to see past what the magic wanted him to see.
I don't think that's the reason. Karen knew there was something up with that spot, earlier, but couldn't get through, and the same concealing magic kept the beach party folks contained despite them all knowing where the room's door should be.

I'm trying to synchronize all the threads in my head; does the rumble Sythe noticed co-inside with the rumble Roan and Brutus noticed, that appears to have been caused by Reni trashing the Oasis Room? That broke the estate's magic down there, has it unravelled all the way to the third floor?
If that's the case, what are the implications for Rose? That was what was keeping her functional.

Is that roar he heard the one Stoney gave after Detritus stabbed him?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

I think it might be perception based, as theorized before. Maddie knew something was up, when Karen was following her, but she also didn't follow anyone through a secret wall until Karen blindly ran into one. Sythe, on the other hand, knew something was up when he saw Nibbly run through it.

Let me see here... We don't see Sythe walking through the wall, nor do we see it vanish, so we can assume some spell was broken when he watched Nibs go through it. Nibs, on the other hand, is not one of the three main races, and would likely not be affected by it... Or she's powerful and/or magical enough that it didn't effect her completely.

And I'd be willing to bet that if Maddie had covered her eyes and used echolocation like Basitin doctors do, she'd have a different room count from the beginning. That's probably how she "sensed" something was off.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Rafe
Council Member

#7 Post by Rafe »

Looks like the same spot where Karen and Maddy had their encounter with Stoney (which they lost their memory of) - the entrance to the room with Rose and Maren.

Tornir
Master

#8 Post by Tornir »

Stoney's vacant posing rock is a big giveaway, yeah.

Zaigan
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#9 Post by Zaigan »

I mean, I think it's better that Sythe wasn't wearing pants. Those stains might never come out! Far easier to just scrub the floors after, although Rose might be indisposed.

Tornir
Master

#10 Post by Tornir »

I wonder if Sythe is going to get to be the hero and rescue Maren while Trace and Detritus are busy trying to kill each other?
:sythe: :heart: :maren:

trantor
Apprentice

#11 Post by trantor »

Tornir wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:01 pm I wonder if Sythe is going to get to be the hero and rescue Maren while Trace and Detritus are busy trying to kill each other?
:sythe: :heart: :maren:
I think more that Nibby has to show off her real self for all to rescue Sythe. Because he isn't really in condition to save anyone.

Tornir
Master

#12 Post by Tornir »

trantor wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:47 pm I think more that Nibby has to show off her real self for all to rescue Sythe. Because he isn't really in condition to save anyone.
I wasn't thinking of him actually doing anything heroic, just taking advantage of the big hitters being distracted to (as you say, with some squirrelly assistance) sneak out of the room with Maren.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#13 Post by Bellhead »

That actually sounds like a probable scenario. But I'm not sure how well it'll work... Detritus is likely to be relatively omnipotent within that room, and being one of Old Trace's experiments, likely has a thoroughly obscene amount of power. He's sure to know about everyone within the manor, just as Rose did, though he's got far more reign than she does right now... And far less care for life.

I could see Sythe stepping in to save Maren, though what I'd see happening is him getting hit by Detritus with an "Oh no you don't", and Nibbly either stops him, stops Detritus, or decides to fight back in her true form after the others have been defeated. Unless, of course, we get some kind of Deus Ex Machina and somebody else shows up. We haven't seen Lynn in a while, and we don't know the extent of Rose's detainment... And the manor is sure to have a slue of magical artifacts and/or weapons that could be used.

Quite frankly, all we can even say for certain, is that Detritus, Maren, Trace, Flora, Stoney, Sythe and Nibbly will end up in the greenhouse at some point, and possibly not just them, and possibly not at the same time. Hell, for all we know, Nora could show up with Adelaide on her back wielding dual fire swords, with Euchre riding shotgun slinging magic at the crystal. Man, that would be a sight to see... Future sketch suggestion, maybe?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Tornir
Master

#14 Post by Tornir »

Detritus may be powerful within that room, but I'm not sure how much power he's got anywhere else. He was configured to firewall Rose and take over if she ever "hacked root", and after doing that he then proceeded to pull in Trace and Maren, then try to kill everyone else. But... the estate's magical systems are damaged, maybe even totally offline, so he may only have his personal abilities to fall back on.

The manor may well have magical weapons, but I'd assume they'd be locked in an armory (near the dungeons maybe?) and not easily accessible by guests. Also, if I was a Templar/Bad Trace, I'd Keidran-proof anything offensive I made so it couldn't be used by the enemy if captured.

If Rose is not yet actually dead (some form of suspended animation?) the system disruption may allow her to escape and assist in some way?

If Adelaide did somehow turn up, I guess Maddie would be in big trouble. :mrgrin:

steelabjur
Council Member

#15 Post by steelabjur »

Warrl wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:37 am Better question: How come none of the wolves ever noticed a different smell there?
The area probably doesn't have an unusual odor of it's own and they wasn't tracking a specific person? Nibs is specifically tracking Maren as Sythe said he really needs to find her. She caught her smell coming through the "wall" and went through. Her tail sticking through broke the illusion for Sythe enough for him to walk through. To me this is the least supernatural thing she's done in the whole chapter.

Tornir wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:12 pm Detritus may be powerful within that room, but I'm not sure how much power he's got anywhere else. He was configured to firewall Rose and take over if she ever "hacked root", and after doing that he then proceeded to pull in Trace and Maren, then try to kill everyone else. But... the estate's magical systems are damaged, maybe even totally offline, so he may only have his personal abilities to fall back on.

The manor may well have magical weapons, but I'd assume they'd be locked in an armory (near the dungeons maybe?) and not easily accessible by guests. Also, if I was a Templar/Bad Trace, I'd Keidran-proof anything offensive I made so it couldn't be used by the enemy if captured.

If Rose is not yet actually dead (some form of suspended animation?) the system disruption may allow her to escape and assist in some way?

If Adelaide did somehow turn up, I guess Maddie would be in big trouble. :mrgrin:
We know the defense system wasn't totally down by the time Clovis broke in (it tried to give him a zap, at least).

I personally wouldn't keep an armory near the dungeons, for obvious reasons. :wink: