Comic for July 7, 2021: Eric To The Rescue

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Comic for July 7, 2021: Eric To The Rescue

#1 Post by Bellhead »

"I just cycled through ever failsafe I knew." Yeah, I bet you would, given what you saw.. Loving Zen's reaction, though. "I'm fine. TOTALLY not playing it up at all." Nevermind that he's wincing hard enough to need an eye closed, or anything.

I'd also like to congratulate Zen. I think the is the first time he's gotten a hug since the comic started, and I feel like he really needed it, even if he never showed it. Good for him.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Eclipse
Templar Master

Re: Comic for July 7, 2021: Eric To The Rescue

#2 Post by Eclipse »

Welp, we're about to confront the Eric/Kat/Zen love triangle head on and see exactly where everyone stands now. Everyone get your popcorn.

Rafe
Council Member

#3 Post by Rafe »

Zen sounds like he knew Romulus and Remus.
I'm trying to remember if he'd encountered them before.

steelabjur
Council Member

#4 Post by steelabjur »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:32 pm Zen sounds like he knew Romulus and Remus.
They were Clovis' henchwolves, maybe he encountered them through working for Clovis before the start of the comic?

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Rafe wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:32 pm Zen sounds like he knew Romulus and Remus.
In comic? No. Not that we've seen, anyway.

More than likely, he remembered them from his time in the guild. Given that Clovis took them with him on the way to find Zen, they must be have been fairly valued henchmen, and if that's the case, they would be known by most of, if not, the entire guild, even if by reputation and rank alone.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Insomniac »

The look of genuine love and concern on Eric's face, oh god my heart!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#7 Post by Technic[Bot] »

So nothing unexpected here. I may sound like a broken record at this point but still. I am surprised a slave cuff made specifically for the prince of greed Clovis could be beaten by some human unremarkt human slaver. Either Eric is very damn good or those cuffs are not as jazzed up as we made them up to be.

Also failsafe? Not entirely sure I would have used that word. Yet English is not my first language so probably you should not take grammar lessons from me

Also seems we have confirmation that Kat has never worn a slave collar before. Which i find weird. I mean Eric said he never made her wear one and I believe him. But his original owners his parents had not reason not to nor his brother Roderick specially his brother.
So I wonder why did Eric's family bought Kat specifically and why did they never bothered to put a slave collar on her?

Finally Zen really had some history with the Roman twins. You do not just daydream about shanking the guy who drank all your breakfast milk.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by Bellhead »

Technic: "Failsafe" in this context seems to be related to common magical ways to shut down a collar in case of emergency; a kind of emergency shutoff in case they got an order to kill their owner, for instance. And it makes sense that Eric, a slave trader, would know quite a bit about that subject.

Regarding Kat's lack of collar experience: Kat was born into Eric's family, not bought. And given how close the two have always been, Eric would likely have strongly fought against putting a collar on her. We don't even know if there's a minimum age for collar use, and I doubt that Eric's family would refuse their son his closest childhood friend, anyway. It's still a bit far from normal for her to have never experienced it, but given their relationship and history, it makes a bit of sense in this situation.

MuonNeutrino
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Rose, Natani

#9 Post by MuonNeutrino »

Regarding Kat and collars, Tom had this to say in a stream a while back:
Tom, in a stream wrote: And no, Kat's never had a control collar on
Control collars are a pretty recent invention and weren't really in common use until after Trace's instatement.
Rich people had them. Kat's owners might have had them, but for domestic servants, it's a matter of pride that Keidran are 'broken' properly.
Using a collar kinda goes against it when it just subverts their will.
If the collar stops working, suddenly you have unruly Keidran.
Slave collars don't seem to be as widespread as it might seem from just the few we've seen in the comic, or at least not until recently.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by Bellhead »

MuonNeutrino wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:30 am Regarding Kat and collars, Tom had this to say in a stream a while back:
Tom, in a stream wrote: And no, Kat's never had a control collar on
Control collars are a pretty recent invention and weren't really in common use until after Trace's instatement.
Rich people had them. Kat's owners might have had them, but for domestic servants, it's a matter of pride that Keidran are 'broken' properly.
Using a collar kinda goes against it when it just subverts their will.
If the collar stops working, suddenly you have unruly Keidran.
Slave collars don't seem to be as widespread as it might seem from just the few we've seen in the comic, or at least not until recently.
Definitely recently, else retcon. Templar laws require slaves to be bound by spells, but not specifically collars... So I'd assume that, with Trace's rise, the collars have been basically made to be mass-produced and forcibly distributed to registered traders, as a way to subvert anyone who might have an ulterior motive to purchasing slaves, replacing the (I think) more common manually activated "control spell" mentioned in that page. I could definitely see the spells being required at an earlier point, requiring frequent re-casting, and that being replaced by the collar requirement.

It makes sense to me that slave traders, even before the control collar came into play, would be able to personally cast a control spell on a freshly captured slave, for ease of capture at the very least. It's quite a feat to completely break a person's spirit, and I could definitely see that being a point of pride for slave owners; forcing their own will to cave, rather than replacing it by a spell. It doesn't mean that the spell would be completely unnecessary, but it would mean that it's primary use would not be the constant control of a subject.

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

#11 Post by rwstyles »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:20 am So nothing unexpected here. I may sound like a broken record at this point but still. I am surprised a slave cuff made specifically for the prince of greed Clovis could be beaten by some human unremarkt human slaver. Either Eric is very damn good or those cuffs are not as jazzed up as we made them up to be.

Also failsafe? Not entirely sure I would have used that word. Yet English is not my first language so probably you should not take grammar lessons from me

Also seems we have confirmation that Kat has never worn a slave collar before. Which i find weird. I mean Eric said he never made her wear one and I believe him. But his original owners his parents had not reason not to nor his brother Roderick specially his brother.
So I wonder why did Eric's family bought Kat specifically and why did they never bothered to put a slave collar on her?

Finally Zen really had some history with the Roman twins. You do not just daydream about shanking the guy who drank all your breakfast milk.
They have the same problem with default logins and passwords we have.

Zaigan
New Citizen

#12 Post by Zaigan »

Aww man, this will only deepen the love triangle. I still wonder if it was really Eric's efforts or some residual magic in Zen's leg. She did scratch it right as the spell ended, but of course that could be just to set up her toe claws worsening his already infected leg. It would be sad if it was actually Zen who saved her completely only to have the glory stolen by Eric whose best efforts actually failed.

It is good to know Eric came to her rescue. He might not romantically love her, but familial love is valid too. It's too bad that Kat just wanted more than that, and despite Eric's appreciation of her kind, he also imprinted "sister" upon her from their childhood together.

S'aaruuk
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: King Adelaide

#13 Post by S'aaruuk »

Insomniac wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:18 pm The look of genuine love and concern on Eric's face, oh god my heart!
Agreed. Eric may be a lech and an [censored], but he genuinely loves Kat. :heart: :grin:

Cinnibar
New Citizen

#14 Post by Cinnibar »

Makes sense from before. Clovis may be able to enchant, but doesn't do it all himself. Likely the bracelet was 'acquired', his organization does tend to steal things. So why not?

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15 Post by Tornir »

If Zen and Kat do get together, will Zen find himself on the receiving end of the Protective Brother routine from Eric that he gave to Keith?