Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

Makaira

Re: Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

#31 Post by Makaira »

Kyrit wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:49 pmThat wasn't Kat rambling, it was Romulus continuing his speech. "-to... what?" Was him trying to get back on track with his speech before the sudden realization of "did she just yell steak??? Not a call for help, not anyone's name, no last minute giving up the location? Steak??
Ha ha the fool. Romulus fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia. But only slightly less well known is this: never monologue if you're the bad guy, when death is on the line.

Dreamfox
Citizen

#32 Post by Dreamfox »

Don't forget that Zen is not alone. If you say 'Zen' you saying 'Natani'. The questions are if she can channel her mana crystals through their bond or if she takes over his body, can she still access her mana crystals?
Of course, what Zen knows, Natani knows, so if Zen knows of Romulus, it's only a question of time until help arrives.
And his injury aside, Zen is still a skilled assassin. Even in his current state he could throw a steak knife into Romulus' eye.
So the more time Kathrin buys, the higher the chance of her and Zen getting out of this.

steelabjur
Council Member

#33 Post by steelabjur »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 12:50 am
steelabjur wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:40 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm Thanks for some reason I thought Kat simply started started rambling about a job and then blurted out steak that makes much more sense.

Also If she tries to let Romulus away from him or pick him up and escape she needs to know where he is right now. And with him sneaking out of his room over and over i am not sure she knows where he is
Even if she knows where Zen's at, he reopens his wound getting out of bed and it's not like she's going to be able to carry him or assist him at moving at any decent speed. Rom probably knows magic like his brother, so stabbing him is at best just going to buy her a little time while he pulls the blade out and heals his wound. Smart move for Kat is to book it for the Oasis Room as fast as she can, where all the combat-skilled folk (like Natani and Keith and Red) are and would protect her from Rom.
I suppose she knows everyone is supposedly at the oasis room, but given the size of the state, does she know how to get there? Moreover even if she manages to get there, they may not be there anymore by the time she gets to that room.
Also besides revenge i do not see any point in Romulus chasing Kat, at least if he is half as professional as he says he is.
She said she was going to join them after helping Zen the last time she was in the comic, so she certainly knows the way there, at least. As for Rom, silencing the person he told his name and mission to before she can raise an alarm and ruin his chances of getting to Zen makes sense.

SmileWolf
Fav. Twokinds Character: hmmm.. Reni, atm, I guess

#34 Post by SmileWolf »

I think people have been weaned by too many tv shows and movies showing arm wounds by guns, knives etc as insignificant compared to wounds elsewhere, to realize there's a big old artery inside your arm carrying lots of blood under pressure that doesn't take kindly to being punctured - unless the bleeding is stopped fast you can bleed to death. There's also a nerve in your arm that if severed will render your arm useless. That knife wound is deep enough to hit both and it's in the right general place, just a matter of luck whether unskilled Kat managed to hit either, but dropping the axe might mean she got that nerve. Even significantly cutting the biceps would be a really bad thing.

My point being, he may now have more important things to deal with atm than either chasing Kat or finding Zen.

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#35 Post by Spazoid »

Makaira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:46 amHa ha the fool. Romulus fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Followed closely by "Never sail with the Kamchatka."

(and if you don't know the ship in question... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrAQFBUFlU

Dear GOD, what a Mongolian Cluster [censored] of a ship!

Edited to fix broken quote and to remove swear filter bypass. Do not self censor, it prevents the swear filter from working correctly.

~Hayate.
Last edited by Hayate on Mon May 24, 2021 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Broken quote, swear filter bypass
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

rwstyles
Traveler
Fav. Twokinds Character: mrs nibbley

#36 Post by rwstyles »

Spazoid wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:36 am
Makaira wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 5:46 amHa ha the fool. Romulus fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia.
Followed closely by "Never sail with the Kamchatka."

(and if you don't know the ship in question... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCrAQFBUFlU

Dear GOD, what a Mongolian Cluster [censored] of a ship!

Edited to fix broken quote and to remove swear filter bypass. Do not self censor, it prevents the swear filter from working correctly.

~Hayate.

Be interesting to pair that ship with the William B Porter.

Pity they were in different Navies.
SmileWolf wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:06 am I think people have been weaned by too many tv shows and movies showing arm wounds by guns, knives etc as insignificant compared to wounds elsewhere, to realize there's a big old artery inside your arm carrying lots of blood under pressure that doesn't take kindly to being punctured - unless the bleeding is stopped fast you can bleed to death. There's also a nerve in your arm that if severed will render your arm useless. That knife wound is deep enough to hit both and it's in the right general place, just a matter of luck whether unskilled Kat managed to hit either, but dropping the axe might mean she got that nerve. Even significantly cutting the biceps would be a really bad thing.

My point being, he may now have more important things to deal with atm than either chasing Kat or finding Zen.
Pity she didn't turn the knife 90 degrees. Would do a lot more damage that way. That way it would sever muscle fibers, this way it just separates them. Assuming it misses the nerve and artery, only a little damage.

Please avoid double posting. Instead post all your thoughts or comments in a single post, like how I have edited your post now. Back to back posts are not allowed. Please use the “edit” button to add to your post if you miss something.
~Hayate
Last edited by Hayate on Tue May 25, 2021 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merging double post

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#37 Post by Spazoid »

rwstyles wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:06 pm

Be interesting to pair that ship with the William B Porter.

Pity they were in different Navies.
Oh lord....

"Do you see torpedo boats??"
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#38 Post by Rasol »

SmileWolf wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:06 am I think people have been weaned by too many tv shows and movies showing arm wounds by guns, knives etc as insignificant compared to wounds elsewhere, to realize there's a big old artery inside your arm carrying lots of blood under pressure that doesn't take kindly to being punctured - unless the bleeding is stopped fast you can bleed to death. There's also a nerve in your arm that if severed will render your arm useless. That knife wound is deep enough to hit both and it's in the right general place, just a matter of luck whether unskilled Kat managed to hit either, but dropping the axe might mean she got that nerve. Even significantly cutting the biceps would be a really bad thing.

This. Also, if you look he was clutching where the knife stabbed him. Kat didnt leave the knife in place. She pulled it out too. That wound was pretty deep by the size & shape of the knife. If he doesn't do something about it he's gonna have a REALLY bad time.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#39 Post by Bellhead »

Rasol wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 8:38 pm

This. Also, if you look he was clutching where the knife stabbed him. Kat didnt leave the knife in place. She pulled it out too. That wound was pretty deep by the size & shape of the knife. If he doesn't do something about it he's gonna have a REALLY bad time.
Assuming Rom here has a crystal or two like his twin did, he'd be forced to use whatever he had to heal himself. Unless Remus had all the magic genes in the family, like Nat did..

But with that, he'd have less to use against Kat when chasing her. If we assume that to be the case, he'd be low on mana, coupled with the few seconds it would take to heal himself, chasing a smaller person through unfamiliar territory, without backup. He would probably choose to track her, or Zen, rather than give chase, which would put the advantage back in Kat's favor. If he instead decides to give chase in his current state, he would exacerbate his injuries, while bleeding everywhere, and forego his mission, but he would probably catch her pretty quickly.

If he's smart about this, he'd probably lose. But if he goes into full feral mode, he might actually catch her... Assuming there aren't people already heading there, or nearby. He's in deep, now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#40 Post by Technic[Bot] »

In general any puncture wound anywhere can get nasty fast specially if you took the offending object out of it. Best case scenario, he wont be swinging that axe soon, worst case he will bleed out in a couple minutes.
Bellhead wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Assuming Rom here has a crystal or two like his twin did, he'd be forced to use whatever he had to heal himself. Unless Remus had all the magic genes in the family, like Nat did..

But with that, he'd have less to use against Kat when chasing her. If we assume that to be the case, he'd be low on mana, coupled with the few seconds it would take to heal himself, chasing a smaller person through unfamiliar territory, without backup. He would probably choose to track her, or Zen, rather than give chase, which would put the advantage back in Kat's favor. If he instead decides to give chase in his current state, he would exacerbate his injuries, while bleeding everywhere, and forego his mission, but he would probably catch her pretty quickly.

If he's smart about this, he'd probably lose. But if he goes into full feral mode, he might actually catch her... Assuming there aren't people already heading there, or nearby. He's in deep, now.
Given the situation i think the tactical decision is to heal up, track Zen and get out as fast as possible. The mission is already compromised as it is, even ignoring his brother dead(?)

By the way have we seen any magical healing? If i remember correctly Raine treated Zen wound with herbal medicine and current treatment seems conventional too.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Rasol
New Citizen

#41 Post by Rasol »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:31 am By the way have we seen any magical healing? If i remember correctly Raine treated Zen wound with herbal medicine and current treatment seems conventional too.
Good question. I don't actually recall seeing anything like that. So far all of the healing we've seen has been pretty practical stuff. We've seen some evocation & conjuration, and illision magic.. but I cant recall any instances of magic being used for healing injuries.

But there are a LOT of comics to sift through, any my old AF memory isn't what it used to be.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#42 Post by Bellhead »

Rasol wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 5:15 am
Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:31 am By the way have we seen any magical healing? If i remember correctly Raine treated Zen wound with herbal medicine and current treatment seems conventional too.
Good question. I don't actually recall seeing anything like that. So far all of the healing we've seen has been pretty practical stuff. We've seen some evocation & conjuration, and illision magic.. but I cant recall any instances of magic being used for healing injuries.

But there are a LOT of comics to sift through, any my old AF memory isn't what it used to be.
Luckily, mine is still pretty sharp. Trace brought Flora to a Healer early on, when she tripped on a branch, shortly after meeting Keith: "I am Trace Legacy. And you will heal her." Granted, we didn't see it, but we also didn't see any bandages, after.

Also, when Flora questioned Keith about that letter from Laura, after he clocked her in her sleep. Trace healed her bleeding nose. "T-Trace? What are you doing?"

And there was Eric. "If you don't mind, I need to get my hearing crystals, excuse me." Then again, they have iodine for disinfecting wounds, so I guess it's a little ambiguous, or maybe retconned?

Eh. I'd wager it's pretty common, for those who either know magic, specialize in the field, or have the money for it. Likely a luxury if you're not a mage, but Rom here might have a bit of practice, as a mercenary.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Emp_Dragon
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Reni

#43 Post by Emp_Dragon »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:31 am

In general any puncture wound anywhere can get nasty fast specially if you took the offending object out of it. Best case scenario, he wont be swinging that axe soon, worst case he will bleed out in a couple minutes.
Bellhead wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:00 pm

Given the situation i think the tactical decision is to heal up, track Zen and get out as fast as possible. The mission is already compromised as it is, even ignoring his brother dead(?)

By the way have we seen any magical healing? If i remember correctly Raine treated Zen wound with herbal medicine and current treatment seems conventional too.
It's also an eating knife, which means it's potentially has all kinds of organic contaminants from beeing stored in a kitchen drawer and whatever germs and other contaminants he has in his fur.
If he doesn't bleed out, he will need imminent first aid and herbal or magical anticeptic treatment soon if he's to avoid infection that is likely to turn septic or even gangrenous within the next week.
Also, we don't know if Kat has fled or if she is about to stab again since she did pull the knife out and the fighting panels cover no more than a single, more likely just half of a second.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#44 Post by Bellhead »

Emp_Dragon wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 am It's also an eating knife, which means it's potentially has all kinds of organic contaminants from beeing stored in a kitchen drawer and whatever germs and other contaminants he has in his fur.
If he doesn't bleed out, he will need imminent first aid and herbal or magical anticeptic treatment soon if he's to avoid infection that is likely to turn septic or even gangrenous within the next week.
Also, we don't know if Kat has fled or if she is about to stab again since she did pull the knife out and the fighting panels cover no more than a single, more likely just half of a second.
If we believe what Roselyn said in that sketch, all food is stored in a suspended animation chamber immediately after being cooked. If that's the case, that knife would have been spotless. And if it were just stored in some drawer somewhere but wasn't dusty, as we see it's not, then any germs, bacteria, viruses, etc. would have died years ago.

Contaminants from his fur are still a possibility, but I highly doubt he'd last that long anyway, either with the cut, or the mission, take your pick.

Rasol
New Citizen

#45 Post by Rasol »

Bellhead wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:37 am Luckily, mine is still pretty sharp. Trace brought Flora to a Healer early on, when she tripped on a branch, shortly after meeting Keith: "I am Trace Legacy. And you will heal her." Granted, we didn't see it, but we also didn't see any bandages, after.

Also, when Flora questioned Keith about that letter from Laura, after he clocked her in her sleep. Trace healed her bleeding nose. "T-Trace? What are you doing?"

And there was Eric. "If you don't mind, I need to get my hearing crystals, excuse me." Then again, they have iodine for disinfecting wounds, so I guess it's a little ambiguous, or maybe retconned?

Eh. I'd wager it's pretty common, for those who either know magic, specialize in the field, or have the money for it. Likely a luxury if you're not a mage, but Rom here might have a bit of practice, as a mercenary.
Good examples. That said, the only time we see healing magic 'on screen' was with trace, and Flora seemed to be QUITE confused by it.

Even if we were to assume she was surprised that TRACE knew healing magic, that would still imply that such magic is highly specialized, and even most people capable of using magic don't dabble in it. Not even the Grand Templar.

If healing magic were something anyone who could use magic could use, you would likely see a LOT of use for it. While throwing a fireball, or casting a teleportation spell is handy, being able to heal wounds, or cure ailments is going to be a MUCH more useful skill to have. This goes for both on & off the battlefield.

So based on the examples we have, we can guess that healing magic is at best, very rare, or at worst, doesn't exist. I somehow doubt a character like Romulus, who barely ranks above some JRPG random encounter in terms of importance, is going to have access to that kind of magic.