Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

tony1695
Weaver of Tales

Re: Comic for May 22, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt3

#2 Post by tony1695 »

This is actually really clever for multiple reasons.
Obviously the first is the appearance of cutlery. Stands to reason that she could use any other table in any other room to re-arm herself.
The second, though, is the steak itself. Romulus was boasting on the previous page about his sense of smell. But a beautiful, freshly cooked steak? Doesn't matter how fine-tuned his sense of smell is, that aroma is gonna overwhelm everything else in the room, and maybe even linger in his nose, long enough for her to get far enough away that he might need to follow a scent trail. It could also mask anything else coming towards him.

Now for the injury she inflicted. It's a stab wound in the upper right arm, the same arm that was holding the axe. I feel it's reasonable to assume that Romulus wouldn't be the sort to learn how to wield a weapon well in his off-hand, again assuming he's right-handed. Admittedly, it is an axe, not a very difficult weapon to use, but his left arm might be weaker because of that. The wound doesn't seem terribly deep, and I don't know enough about anatomy to know how much damage could be done, but definitely enough to hinder his effectiveness.
Gentlementlemen
How do you get to the Rakdos Guild Hall?
You take the psycho path.
Weed la Weed Warning: WEIRD

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

Clever girl. :kathrin:

That was a smart move, though I have to wonder if she thought of it ahead of time, or if her mind went a little sideways, and she took advantage of it. I'd like to believe the former... She's not exactly dim, just naïve. But now, having stabbed the big, bad axe-wielding wolf mercenary, she'd better run. This guy's bound to be on her heels. And if he's as good as Clovis would want him to be, that stab wound would only slow him down, and tick him off.

Best action she could have thought of, given the situation, but it could put her in even more danger if she's not smart about this.

I'd also like to point out the tears in that last panel. She clearly didn't want to do this, and I half expected her to apologize while running for her life. I'm a little afraid to think of what will be going through her mind about all this over the next few minutes. If she doesn't have the mental fortitude to cope with using a last resort to harm somebody, with a knife, no less, then she might not make it very far before he finds her.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

HSishi
Citizen

#4 Post by HSishi »

Pretty smart move :) . Steak knives usually are sharp to cut stubborn meat - that stab might have cut a good part of the bizeps, taking lots of power from the arm, even if Romulus learned to ignore pain.

Lordadmiral Drake
Master

#5 Post by Lordadmiral Drake »

Also, calling for Steak cought him off-guard, giving her the opening she needed to strike

Though honestly, that really wasn't what I expected xD
Furcode: FCXcsp2a A C- D H+ M- P- R++ T++ W Z- Sm# RLE a cln d+ e h* i+ j+ p- sm+

I'm a Deviant now

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#6 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well this chapter is full of surprises and curve balls. Kat is more resourceful than we gave her credit for.

Also seconding Romulus. To what? What was she rambling about before stabbing him?
Bellhead wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:04 pm Clever girl. :kathrin:

That was a smart move, though I have to wonder if she thought of it ahead of time, or if her mind went a little sideways, and she took advantage of it. I'd like to believe the former... She's not exactly dim, just naïve. But now, having stabbed the big, bad axe-wielding wolf mercenary, she'd better run. This guy's bound to be on her heels. And if he's as good as Clovis would want him to be, that stab wound would only slow him down, and tick him off.

Best action she could have thought of, given the situation, but it could put her in even more danger if she's not smart about this.

I'd also like to point out the tears in that last panel. She clearly didn't want to do this, and I half expected her to apologize while running for her life. I'm a little afraid to think of what will be going through her mind about all this over the next few minutes. If she doesn't have the mental fortitude to cope with using a last resort to harm somebody, with a knife, no less, then she might not make it very far before he finds her.
She was already tearing up on the second panel. I think it is more about her being distressed about this whole situation, specially the possibility of loosing her head. Not only having to stab the big bad wolf.
But it is true that she may not have the mental fortitude to deal with a hitman in her tail and this is definitely not a good time to have a mental breakdown.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by aitaituo »

tony1695 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:07 am This is actually really clever for multiple reasons.
Obviously the first is the appearance of cutlery. Stands to reason that she could use any other table in any other room to re-arm herself.
The second, though, is the steak itself. Romulus was boasting on the previous page about his sense of smell. But a beautiful, freshly cooked steak? Doesn't matter how fine-tuned his sense of smell is, that aroma is gonna overwhelm everything else in the room, and maybe even linger in his nose, long enough for her to get far enough away that he might need to follow a scent trail. It could also mask anything else coming towards him.

Now for the injury she inflicted. It's a stab wound in the upper right arm, the same arm that was holding the axe. I feel it's reasonable to assume that Romulus wouldn't be the sort to learn how to wield a weapon well in his off-hand, again assuming he's right-handed. Admittedly, it is an axe, not a very difficult weapon to use, but his left arm might be weaker because of that. The wound doesn't seem terribly deep, and I don't know enough about anatomy to know how much damage could be done, but definitely enough to hinder his effectiveness.
It's deep enough that he'll need to bandage himself before he can do much. Unless he grabs Kat immediately, this fight is effectively over because she could be on the other side of the mansion before he fits a bandage or a hundred yards away if he knows healing magic, which would turn this into a chase if Romulus cares to chase her. Presumably, Kat will go to Zen to warn him. But she may go away from him to draw Romulus away, which would be bad if she can't find some backup.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#8 Post by Hayate »

Omg she better get those legs moving! I didn’t expect this from her at all! Run Kat!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#9 Post by Aevere »

He's holding the axe in one panel, gets stabbed in the axe arm, then isn't holding the axe anymore. Methinks he dropped it onto the ground. Run while unarmed :kathrin: !

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#10 Post by AmigaDragon »

aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:46 pm
tony1695 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:07 am Now for the injury she inflicted. It's a stab wound in the upper right arm, the same arm that was holding the axe. I feel it's reasonable to assume that Romulus wouldn't be the sort to learn how to wield a weapon well in his off-hand, again assuming he's right-handed. Admittedly, it is an axe, not a very difficult weapon to use, but his left arm might be weaker because of that. The wound doesn't seem terribly deep, and I don't know enough about anatomy to know how much damage could be done, but definitely enough to hinder his effectiveness.
It's deep enough that he'll need to bandage himself before he can do much. Unless he grabs Kat immediately, this fight is effectively over because she could be on the other side of the mansion before he fits a bandage or a hundred yards away if he knows healing magic, which would turn this into a chase if Romulus cares to chase her. Presumably, Kat will go to Zen to warn him. But she may go away from him to draw Romulus away, which would be bad if she can't find some backup.
Was this a distraction that came with a pointy thing or a pointy thing that came with a distraction? If he's distracted enough by the stab wound, can she whack him on the head with the platter before running? While she might have ideas, I don't think she knows where Zen wandered off to.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Eclipse
Templar Master

#11 Post by Eclipse »

Bravo Kat. I didn't think she had it in her to attack Romulus like that, but that was utterly brilliant. Now grab Zen and get the hell out of there.

Kyrit
Templar

#12 Post by Kyrit »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:01 pm Also seconding Romulus. To what? What was she rambling about before stabbing him?
That wasn't Kat rambling, it was Romulus continuing his speech. "-to... what?" Was him trying to get back on track with his speech before the sudden realization of "did she just yell steak??? Not a call for help, not anyone's name, no last minute giving up the location? Steak??"

That knife definitely looks like it got in there decently deep. Probably close to half the blade at a quick glance? Adrenaline might keep him coming after Kat pretty quickly, but I definitely feel that might have even hit bone.

Eclipse
Templar Master

#13 Post by Eclipse »

aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:46 pm It's deep enough that he'll need to bandage himself before he can do much. Unless he grabs Kat immediately, this fight is effectively over because she could be on the other side of the mansion before he fits a bandage or a hundred yards away if he knows healing magic, which would turn this into a chase if Romulus cares to chase her. Presumably, Kat will go to Zen to warn him. But she may go away from him to draw Romulus away, which would be bad if she can't find some backup.
It wouldn't be smart for Kat to run away, that would leave Zen defenseless. And as we've seen with Sythe, Romulus isn't distracted by secondary targets, so he'd just ignore her and look for Zen. Kat should just find Zen and get him out of there and try to find the others. But, she might not be thinking rationally in this situation, so it's possible she might just bolt at the first sign of trouble.

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#14 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Mmm...steak. It goes better with KETCHUP. :P
Videre videnda.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by aitaituo »

Eclipse wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:56 pm
aitaituo wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:46 pm It's deep enough that he'll need to bandage himself before he can do much. Unless he grabs Kat immediately, this fight is effectively over because she could be on the other side of the mansion before he fits a bandage or a hundred yards away if he knows healing magic, which would turn this into a chase if Romulus cares to chase her. Presumably, Kat will go to Zen to warn him. But she may go away from him to draw Romulus away, which would be bad if she can't find some backup.
It wouldn't be smart for Kat to run away, that would leave Zen defenseless. And as we've seen with Sythe, Romulus isn't distracted by secondary targets, so he'd just ignore her and look for Zen. Kat should just find Zen and get him out of there and try to find the others. But, she might not be thinking rationally in this situation, so it's possible she might just bolt at the first sign of trouble.
It looks like she's already running away. She's a seamstress, not a warrior. Even with the knife in his arm, I don't think she stands much of a chance against him without the element of surprise like just now. A trained killer would have gone for the neck or be stabbing Romulus repeatedly by now.