Comic for May 20, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt2

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

Comic for May 20, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt2

#1 Post by BadFoMo »

Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Comic for May 20, 2021: Kathrin in Trouble pt2

#2 Post by Bellhead »

Welp. I can't say I saw this happening quite like this, but yeah. Kat's not exactly good at hiding things.

I would have hoped that Romulus here would have a bit better acting skills, or at least forego the façade. It doesn't say much if you can see through a clear window...

Either way, this is bad. If we don't get somebody to save her, like now, he'd kill her without a second thought. Knowing how Remus behaved, and Clovis' M.O., it's not likely he'd plan on letting her go even IF she talked. I sure hope somebody comes by and helps.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Menke

#3 Post by Menke »

I don't know why, but this comic really seems like it's focusing on the table. I know it doesn't have any runes on it, but perhaps this is where things get summoned from?

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it would be amusing if Zen was like, "Man, I wish Kat was here," and then *BOMPF!*

FuryoftheStars
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: ---

#4 Post by FuryoftheStars »

Menke wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm I don't know why, but this comic really seems like it's focusing on the table. I know it doesn't have any runes on it, but perhaps this is where things get summoned from?

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but it would be amusing if Zen was like, "Man, I wish Kat was here," and then *BOMPF!*
I don’t see anything else in the room that would be there for summoning. I feel like the only reason why there was focus on the table was because it’s preventing her from backing up further/putting further tension to the situation.

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#5 Post by Rasol »

Menke wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 3:37 pm I don't know why, but this comic really seems like it's focusing on the table. I know it doesn't have any runes on it, but perhaps this is where things get summoned from?

The point of the table is that there is nowhere for her to run to.

Zen needs to show up, and send Romulus off to meet his brother ASAP.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Bellhead »

I wonder if that IS a summoning table, but I doubt it's on either of their minds right now. And Rasol is right, it's only there to accentuate the tension of the scene.

However, if it IS a summoning table, there's a chance that Kat may inadvertently summon a weapon or something, and startle Romulus just long enough for her to make a run for it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

stlsf4003
Apprentice

#7 Post by stlsf4003 »

Welp. With Zen nowhere in sight, let alone combat capable even if he was, Kat's odd's of making it outta this one rapidly falling out of the sky.

Only thing that'll save her now is either waiting for some kind of deus ex machina to save her bacon or she could try fighting it out. (not likely to survive)
the lurking furry railroader

Rasol
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#8 Post by Rasol »

stlsf4003 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:47 pm Welp. With Zen nowhere in sight, let alone combat capable even if he was, Kat's odd's of making it outta this one rapidly falling out of the sky.
You don't have to be 100% to kill somebody who has their back to you. ESPECIALLY if you're an assassin. A stab to the right spot from behind, and Romulus wont even have a chance to draw his weapon.

Also the Kat/Zen shippers will have a field day if he kills for her.... just sayin'.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by Bellhead »

Rasol wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:14 pm
stlsf4003 wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 7:47 pm Welp. With Zen nowhere in sight, let alone combat capable even if he was, Kat's odd's of making it outta this one rapidly falling out of the sky.
You don't have to be 100% to kill somebody who has their back to you. ESPECIALLY if you're an assassin. A stab to the right spot from behind, and Romulus wont even have a chance to draw his weapon.

Also the Kat/Zen shippers will have a field day if he kills for her.... just sayin'.
Heck, I'd have a field day if he did that for her, and she'd fall head-over-paws in a heartbeat, but I'd bet that he'd only do it because there was somebody in danger, not because it was her specifically... So if that happens, he'd probably be almost as oblivious to her feelings as everyone else she's liked has been.

Of course, she just might have learned to be forward enough to outright say it at some point. *cue "Natani's Blunt Dating Service" sketch reference*

Aevere
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#10 Post by Aevere »

Bellhead wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Heck, I'd have a field day if he did that for her, and she'd fall head-over-paws in a heartbeat, but I'd bet that he'd only do it because there was somebody in danger, not because it was her specifically... So if that happens, he'd probably be almost as oblivious to her feelings as everyone else she's liked has been.

Of course, she just might have learned to be forward enough to outright say it at some point. *cue "Natani's Blunt Dating Service" sketch reference*
I'm not even sure who is nearby again.
Though last time Kat was in trouble was on the ship I think, and it was Natani to the rescue. Kat's rescue face was adorable lol.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by Bellhead »

I remember that one! Way back when, when the Panel Shuffle thread was still popular, somebody animated the stars in her eyes in that panel. It was adorable. I could definitely see her doing that if Zen saves her here, followed immediately by a smack on the head for being out of bed.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Didn't we come to the conclusion that Kat really doesn't know where Zen is right now? With him sneaking out of bed and such?

If that is the case Romulus is very bad at his job. As she is telling the truth. Also that is a problem as Kat tell him something she doesn't know and even if she decided to simply lead him to his room if he is not there... Well if he is not there it is not gonna end nicely for her.

Alas i fully expect Zen to limp to the rescue. Despite being injured he is a trained and as long as Romulus doesn't see him he could make quick work of him.

There is also the distinct possibility Tom leaves us hanging and changes perspective again.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by aitaituo »

Bellhead wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:49 pm

I do not like this page and would be very unhappy with the comic if Kat dies. If the lowly side character can't have plot armor, who can?

steelabjur
Council Member

#14 Post by steelabjur »

Good luck getting to that spot not being able to sneak. It was Zen's leg that was injured, and is still injured to the point that getting out of bed reopens the wound. Plus, as Rom has shown, he could probably smell him coming. Best Zen could do is give himself up and hope Rom doesn't gut Kat to buy himself time to escape with Zen (which, given his brother's personality and his employer, is a possibility).

Thomas Rot
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The villager on page 224

#15 Post by Thomas Rot »

Hmm. If Kat really doesn't know where Zen is, she couldn't have been lying, could she? Not that that makes much of a difference when the one confronting you clearly has no qualms about killing you without a second thought, including on a made-up pretext.
steelabjur wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:14 am

Good luck getting to that spot not being able to sneak. It was Zen's leg that was injured, and is still injured to the point that getting out of bed reopens the wound. Plus, as Rom has shown, he could probably smell him coming. Best Zen could do is give himself up and hope Rom doesn't gut Kat to buy himself time to escape with Zen (which, given his brother's personality and his employer, is a possibility).
Yeah, the odds of both Kat and Zen leaving this little episode unscathed are looking really low right now. Doesn't seem likely that anyone else joins them either if Romulus is telling the truth about being able to smell people's scents; he could certainly anticipate their arrival that way.

I don't think Kat will be killed — she does have "plot armour" in the sense that her story is still unfinished; she has a number of plausible arcs to take for that story to resolve itself, and until it does she has to stay alive and active in the overall story — but the only out for her now, barring dei ex machina from the sudden entrance of third parties, is for the situation to resolve itself in a way that saves her at the expense of Zen. Whether that results from Kat doing as Romulus asks or Zen doing the work himself doesn't really matter if the end result is Zen getting forcibly removed from the manor. Of course, that would give any number of people motivation to leave the estate, Natani in particular, and a way for the story to progress. Seems like an alarmingly plausible path for the next few pages, possibly the next few chapters…