And now, a word from our moderators

Moderator: Moderators

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

New Dark Theme Available!

#1 Post by Turaiel »

Hi all,

I've been working on something for the last week or so and I'm excited to announce it's done! We now have a dark theme available for the Twokinds forums!

This is a custom-made theme and I can almost guarantee I've missed something, so if you see a bug please reply to this thread. You can select this theme by going to Board Preferences > My Board Style from the User Control Panel.

Here's a preview:

Let me know what you think!
Website Administrator

Chicken Man
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: The pizza

Re: New Dark Theme Available!

#2 Post by Chicken Man »

I love dark themes and blue light filter. I spend most of my time on this forum using my Galaxy. Thank you! I also have the night theme set on the comic.

Just my 2c.

I also like how you made the mods brighter purple, fushia, right? That dark purple was kind of hard to tell with the blue light filter on. Not I need to run from the mods, or anything. :o Lol jk.
I'll cross the road and cluck with you.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#3 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh my God this is awesome!

I really like dark themes, now my OS, my IDEs, my browser, my email and my favorite forum can all be on dark mode. :heart:

Jokes aside I really like this. Previous theme was nice but it was a bit hard on the eyes, especially if trying to read the forum at night.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:37 am Oh my God this is awesome!

I really like dark themes, now my OS, my IDEs, my browser, my email and my favorite forum can all be on dark mode. :heart:

Jokes aside I really like this. Previous theme was nice but it was a bit hard on the eyes, especially if trying to read the forum at night.
EDIT:
This may just be me but is the spoiler button name visible?
Spoiler!
Can you see the spoiler button text?
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#5 Post by Bellhead »

Spoiler! This is a test
The label on the button is difficult to read, but it's still there.
If the font was black it might work, if that's doable.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#6 Post by Hayate »

Well, you finally got me to change off of Prosilver Special Edition... So thats something xD

But yes, the spoiler button is almost totally unreadable...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Turaiel
Administrator

#7 Post by Turaiel »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:54 am This may just be me but is the spoiler button name visible?
Spoiler!
Can you see the spoiler button text?
Spoiler button fixed!
Website Administrator

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#8 Post by Bellhead »

Pretty sure this is just me, but I have a "Dark Mode" add-on to my browser. FF v.52.0.1 on XP. The add-on removes almost all background colors, and greys out most fonts and text fields, so the Dark Mode in the user control panel makes very little difference with it. However, without it, the darkness of the fonts, i.e. dark blue for links and vibrant florescent colors for moderator names etc. seem to have a higher contrast with the add-on disabled, and are harder to read. Links in particular are much closer to the color of the background.

It seems to me, after alternating the add-on multiple times, that the difference is the saturation of the text color and background. Where the add-on uses more dull colors for text and background for a partially monochrome effect, Dark Mode seems to just change the various shades of background blue and grey from the normal theme, to darker shades without modifying the regular text color. With both text and background equally dark with different colors, low light will cause the colors to appear to blend making the words slightly harder to read.

Pretty sure this will only apply to me, bur I figured I'd say something, if you're bored enough to look into it. I've been on my phone most of the morning, so I didn't notice until now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aitaituo
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by aitaituo »

I love it!

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Is it just me or is it kinda of hard to distinguish nested quotes on the new theme? Like when does one start and ends
Spoiler! Example
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:21 pm
Eclipse wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:52 am
Bellhead wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 pm I agree with the "low tolerance for failure and disobedience", but I disagree with "murderous mood", given that he just killed the best friend he ever had, while he smiled back warmly. I mean, he'd be touchy, sure, and would probably kill anyone who didn't do what he told them to, but his psyche is too broken to feel much joy in anything at the moment. He'd kill out of rage, rather than punishment, and would probably be less observant of his subordinates for at least a short time.

Provided the mission is completed without further "incident", which I highly doubt, Clovis would likely not even notice that his underlings went at all out of their way. He'd probably only blame them if the mission failed because of it.

Then again, it's late and I'm tired and just coming up with random thoughts... :roll:
Clovis showing his idea of "mercy" to Brutus doesn't change the fact that he felt the need to kill him. He's killing off every minion that keeps him from amassing money and power, whether they're loyal to him or not.
aitaituo wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:47 am Why did he kill Roan, again? I know he gave an explicit reason, I just think it was flimsy. For the Clovis haters, remember, "Violent men die violent deaths."
Roan took it upon himself to rescue Brutus against Clovis' orders and got himself captured. Which is.. almost exactly what this twin is doing. He's one Mrs. Nibbly [censored]-kicking away from replicating the same circumstances that got Roan killed.
Killing subordinates who show initiative is a great leadership style. It tells them that they are nothing more than disposable tools who will sooner or later be killed unless they kill you first. And that kind of largely pointless viciousness, which is at best a kind of murderous insurance policy, is reflected in his subordinate who wants to gut Sythe just because. Criminal organizations usually are built on personal bonds rather than money for a reason. If Clovis is doing this stuff because he's paranoid, then, like a lot of paranoid people, he's actively creating situations that merit paranoia. In that sense, killing Brutus is profoundly sad because it was the kind of relationship he needed to build in order to stop being so paranoid.

Not that I have any sympathy for the guy. Personality problems, trauma, and mental illness earn a lot of sympathy points, but people can reach a point where they are so inside themselves and so toxic that there's no external way to help them and no willingness on their part to be self-conscious enough to recognize the problem. When such a person is also a murderous crimelord, come on. Tom is doing a good job of alluding to both sides of Clovis' story while still making everyone hate him.
And this is text outside the quote blocs
Maybe the colors between consecutive nested quotes could have more contrast?

Also the "new replies" icon is a bit hard for me to see, very thin red outline on the icon.

But please do not dwell to much into this I do not have an stellar eyesight
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Turaiel
Administrator

#11 Post by Turaiel »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:02 pm Is it just me or is it kinda of hard to distinguish nested quotes on the new theme? Like when does one start and ends

[snip]

Maybe the colors between consecutive nested quotes could have more contrast?
Fixed for better contrast!
Technic[Bot] wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:02 pm Also the "new replies" icon is a bit hard for me to see, very thin red outline on the icon.
I recolored these icons to look better with the dark theme. Please give feedback!
Website Administrator

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I think is is like day and night. Love it Awesome!

But lets hear what the rest have to say
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide