Silverlocks 11 [in progress]

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

New Citizen
Favorite Character: Zen

Silverlocks 11 [in progress]

#1 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

So I had an idea a while back about a story. I don't want to spoil it too much, but I want it to be a little longer than a short story, and feature a wider cast of characters than I usually write for. I also wanted this to be more dramatic rather than comedic. And maybe I can write a less dialogue-heavy story (yeah right). Anyways, I finished chapter one after a month of leaving this on the back burner. I hope y'all like it. I only have a general idea of where I want the story to go, so if you have any ideas, let me know, and I'll try to make them work.

Update: June 26, 2020 - I added each chapter as a spoiler, so it's now not very much scrolling to get to new chapters. Speaking of which, I added Chapter 2, and on top of that I actually spellchecked the whole thing. Grammarly said there was in the neighbourhood of 30 mistakes, so you're welcome, and I'm sorry to whoever read it before today.

And now, without further ado, here's Silverlocks 11
Spoiler!

Raine looked around the attic. Only a week ago, she had been frantically searching for a way to save Sythe from a fate that wasn't altogether bad. Now, she looked for anything about healing. Her search couldn't have been in vain: Trace had spent quite a while trying to bring Saria back to life, and Zen was still very much alive.

Her hand graced a dusty volume. That feeling of discovering a new book once would have evoked great joy. Her senses would come alive with a new world to explore, or a new craft to master. Now only a dull echo of such joy awoke. She had been so many places, tackled (and later kissed) an assassin, banished a fox and met her frankly ancient aunt. What books had to offer hardly compared to the thrill of real life.

She idly drew a green-covered book from a box.

"Advanced healing," She mumbled, not entirely paying attention to what she held. "Huh, great. I don't need this, I need advanced... healing..."

The magnitude of what she'd found staggered her. Literally. The flood of emotions had shifted her feet to wolf paws.

"TRACE!" She screamed, tripping over herself as she ran towards the door. "I found someth--"

The world went dark as she whacked her head on the now-too-short doorframe.

|---------------------------------------------------------|

Some time later, she awoke. Her head throbbed.

"Uuugh," she moaned. "what happened?"

"Hey, hey," came a voice. "Take it easy. You might have a concussion." A grey paw flashed through her blurry vision and came to rest on her forehead. "Take it easy for now."

Yeah right.

"A concussion!" She replied, empowered by the memory of what she'd discovered. "It's going to take more than that to stop me now!" With those brave words, she rolled out of bed.

And promptly tripped.

"Um," Kat began, unsure of whether or not what she had to say was necessary. "You shifted to a wolf while you were asleep."

"I see the nose now." Raine replied flatly. She righted herself on the floor and stood up, remembering to balance herself on the smaller surface area. "Anyways, where's Trace? I need to talk to him. Like, right now."

"Last I knew he was in his room," Kat began, pausing before remembering to cast her warning. "But maybe you should wait, I think he and Flora--"

"Awesome, thanks" Raine replied, hardly even listening to the second part. "did you see that book I was carrying?"

"It's on the table, bu--"

Raine grappled at the book, her long claws scraping the smooth table's surface as she struggled to obtain it. She stumbled down the hall, steamrolling Mike and Evals as she turned the corner to the master bedroom.

"Trace!" She blurted as she threw the door open. "I think I found exactly..." Her eyes came to rest on Trace and Flora, in bed, huddled close together under the sheets.

"Um," Trace began, his face turning purple, "I'll be out in a minute."

The dog-whistle-pitched scream from Raine’s mouth crippled not only herself but also Mike and Evals down the hall. Trace thought she was breathing. She was screaming.

The door slowly shut, and Raine took a breath. Her face was red, visible even through the fur.

"I told you!" Kat hailed from down the hall "Now what were you going to tell him?"

Raine was grateful for an escape. "I found this book on advanced healing, and I think this is what we need to help Zen!"

"That wonderful," Kat said, suddenly becoming distant.

"Are you ok?" Raine questioned, "as soon as I mentioned Zen you became distant."

"Did I? Oh, that's odd," She said, giggling slightly. "I didn't mean to."

The door behind Raine creaked open and Trace stepped out in a robe.

"Well," Trace began, clearly pretending that nothing had happened only 30 seconds previously. "What did you want to show me?"

"I found this old book of yours, and I wanted to know if I could read it?"

"Yeah, sure, if you think it'll help." Trace replied.

"Thanks!" Raines face lit up. "I'll be off now." She shuffled off, awkwardly, getting about 10 feet away before breaking into a full out sprint to Zen's room.

Zen snored peacefully; he was so high on herbs he could barely feel his arms. What was left of his leg was just a dull ache.

"Zen!" Raine kicked the door open with great fervour. "Guess what I found!"

Zen continued to saw logs. Raine reached up and gently touched his cheek. In his "dormancy", he smiled and moved to capture her hand underneath his head.

"Wake up, sleepyhead" She chided, pulling free of his noggin. "I brought some good news."

"Let me guess. You found an old, magical volume that might heal my leg."

Raine stood agape. "How did you know?"

"Did I get it right?" Zen asked.

"Yeah. Anyways, I wanted you to be here when I first look through it."

"That's sweet. One problem though."

"Oh? And what would that be?"

Zen shifted awkwardly. "I... um... can't really read..."

Raine felt an innermost pity for the poor wolf. To her, a life without books would have had her wasting away for years. "I can read it to you if you want"

"Thanks, Raine." Zen replied. "That'd be nice." He smiled at her, and for a moment, she smiled back. Then she blushed and looked away. "But if I fall asleep, that's not your fault!" Zen laughed, trying to break the freshly formed ice.

Raine began reading. "Chapter one: Remedies for the soul". But as she read, absorbing every word that met her eyes, Zen dropped into thought.

Something has changed between us, Zen pondered. She's been so distant since that night in the forest. Was it something I said? Something I did? Maybe the red-haired dude is making moves on her. Man, I wish I could understand girls. You'd think Natani would have helped me learn. But then again, Natani isn't your average girl.

Zen's train of though journeyed deeper into darkness, and into darkness he fell as he drifted off to sleep.
Here's chapter 2.
Spoiler!
"Zen," a voice rang out from the darkness. "Zen, wake up. You're missing the view!"

Zen lazily cracked an eye. Sky. All he saw was an endless blue sky. His vision widened, and into view came the leaves of a great oak tree. Shaking off sleep, he opened his other eye and sat up. Quickly glancing at his surroundings, he is knocked breathless by the view: A golden sunset, framed on one side by the leaves of the oak tree, and on the other by a vast mountain range. He saw no one around, however.

Then the voice came again: "It's beautiful." Raine materialized next to him, and he turned to see her watching the sunset. "Isn't it?"

"Not as beautiful as you." he replied. He brought a gentle hand up to her face, and she closed her eyes. He did the same, and they leaned in for a kiss. That's when he felt a finger gently land on his lips. He opened his eyes and was disappointed that he was no longer in heaven. His eyes refocused as his pupils dilated, and Raine's form shifted into clarity. It was her finger on his lips. He noticed she had shifted back to a human while he was asleep. Evidently reading had calmed her down.

His eyes met hers, but she blushed and looked away. "I found something here," she began, "I think it might help."

"Hit me." he replied, still fixated on her eyes.

She proceeded to read from the old book, "'The healing of magical burns can be done simply enough, but great care must be taken. Remnants of magic can remain concentrated in the wound, causing it to continue to burn. One would think that a simple mana sink would be enough, but the magic must be replaced with another magic or the mana sink could cause the life force of the flesh to be taken along with the magic. Most physicians recommend a 'flushing' technique, slowly replacing any magical aura with another. Various spells can be used. Some recommend a cooling spell, but that can have a negative impact on the being. Healing spells can also be used, but effectiveness is limited because this is a burn, not a cut. A more complex spell, a regeneration spell, has proven effective but is more difficult to achieve. Normally it would be used to replace small appendages such as fingers and toes, but burns have also been tried.'" She took a deep breath before continuing. "I think this could be exactly what we need!"

"I'm thrilled," Zen began, "but, you know, can you do it?"

"I practiced the regeneration spell a little bit before I woke you up."

"On who?"

"Myself!" Zen stiffened visibly when she said this. "Not like that! It works on hair, so I snipped a bit off and tried it on me."

An awkward pause followed. They both knew what needed to be done. They were both a little scared to do it.

"Do you..." Zen started.

"I don't know. Maybe? Should we wait?"

"We can, yeah." Zen waited a moment before saying "Ow."

Raine changed her mind quickly, saying "Alright, fine! Let's do it now!"

As she began the process, constantly glancing back and forth between the book, Zen settled in to watch her work. Raine always made him smile; her subconscious motions and querks were brilliantly entertaining to watch.

If she is trying not to be attractive, she's doing a terrible job of it. he mused to himself as she brushed a stray hair out of her face. even as a human, which is saying something. I've never been attracted to humans.

Meanwhile, in Raine's mind, she was solely focused on one thing: magic. Her head began to ache with the amount of concentration she poured into the spell.

Augh, she thought, My magic feels weak. Normally I feel stronger during my practices with Roselyn.

As she worked, her fingers brushed each other gently, but a spark of magic arched between them. Raine froze, her eyes locked exactly where her fingers had met.

"Is something wrong?" Zen asked, not entirely sure if sparks were a bad thing.

"I think," she began, her fingers trembling with her impending power, energy arching rapidly between her fingers and his leg. "I think... I'm... having a... s--... s--!" Her eyes glowed and her hair stood on end, and she let forth an almighty sneeze.

She shakily opened her eyes, but seeing no apparent damage, she breathed a sigh of relief.

"That was close," she began, looking over at her patient. "Eh, Zen? ...Zen?" Zen's head lolled backwards, completely unconscious. Worried, she lifted his heavy head and opened one of his eyes. Completely grey.

That's when Raine's worry turned to panic.

Zen studied Raine, not noticing the first spark. It was when the energy touched his leg he noticed. As Raine sneezed, he felt a force push him into the bed, seemingly through it.

He opened his eyes, surprised to see not only Raine, but. Also… himself.

"Raine?" He asked aloud, not entirely sure how he should react to this. "Raine, I'm here!" He reached towards her, moving to brush her shoulder, to affirm her that he was ok. But he couldn't. As his hand moved closer to her, an odd resistance pushed back. As he fought against the resistance it became harder, stiffer, increasingly more difficult until it began forcing his hand away from her.

As he relented, he saw Raine move to lift his body's head. As she opened his eye, he saw an all-too-familiar sight.

His eye was grey. He'd only seen that once before. Natani

"Uncle!" Natani shouted as Keith tightened his headlock around her. "Uncle already! Lemme go!"

"Like I'd miss this golden opportunity" He replied, licking the edge of her ear, gently nibbling the velvety flesh. "and, you know, opportunity never knocks twice."

Exasperated, Natani adjusted her grip, moving her hands from Keiths arms to the back of his neck. "Well, this opportunity hits back!" She said as she lifted him of the floor and flipped him 6 feet in the air. Keith crashed onto his back, losing his breath for a moment. Natani took a second to breathe after the sudden effort. Noticing her guard was down, Keith grabbed her leg and swept it out from under her. As she fell into the splits, he rolled off his back and gracefully stepped behind her. He grabbed her hands, holding them behind her own back. He returned to his peaceful nibbling, and Natani grumbled something about breaking his legs.

Both exhausted from a long sparring session, Keith liberated Natani and together they lay on the floor, chests heaving. Natani tilted her head to look at Keith. They smiled at each other, and leaned in for a kiss. That's when the lights went out. They froze as the lamps all extinguished in their sconces.

"Maddie?" Keith’s voice rang out timid in the darkness. "It's not funny.

"Zen, you know better than to ruin a romantic moment between us," Natani called, her confidence shaking, but she supplemented it with a thin laugh.

They both listened intently, waiting for the hysteric giggles to come from a cabinet or shadowy corner. Nothing.

"NATANI!" Raine screamed, sprinting down the hall. She burst into their room, her hyperventilation shattering the nervous silence as she tried to explain what happened.

"I found a way to help Zen," she cried her nerves on their last wits. "It was so simple, and it was working, and then, I don't know what happened, there were sparks and magic, and... and..." Raine collapsed on the floor, her sobbing echoing off the walls. Her body shook with sadness, and as it did she slowly grew fur. Keith and Natani sat half-transfixed, half-repulsed as she went from human to wolf.

A minute passed, and the mess of fur on the floor slowly quieted down. Natani, ever the gentle soul, walked over and kneeled down beside her.

"Where's Zen?" she asked, awkwardly patting her back as Raine quietly shivered beneath Natani's massive paw.

"He's-sniff-in his room-sniff" She replied, "But if you-sniff-don't mind, I just-sniff-need a moment"

"Yeah, yeah," Natani soothed, her feminine side coming out so hard Natani felt uncomfortable in her own skin. "C'mon, Keith."

As the two quietly left the room, one thought permeated Raine's mind:

What have I done?
I like to ask the important questions in life.
Where are my socks?
Do I play too much Minecraft?
How is mitosis?
Who the is Kristen Wiig shirt?

You know, deep stuff.

Templar Inner Circle
Favorite Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Silverlocks 11 - Chapter 1 - The Attic

#2 Post by Bellhead »

That was a nice read. I'll wager this is canon with Sudden Interruption?

Also, what happened to Sythe? Did Maren clock him, or did Red find out?
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

New Citizen

#3 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Bellhead wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:14 pm
That was a nice read. I'll wager this is canon with Sudden Interruption?

Also, what happened to Sythe? Did Maren clock him, or did Red find out?
Thanks, and you'd be right.

As for your question, I set this a little while after Magical Mishaps, so the "fate that wasn't altogether bad" would have been 24 hours of hell with giant Nibs.

Also, chapter 2 is coming. Eventually.
Where are my socks?
How is mitosis?

You know, deep stuff.

Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by Bellhead »

I'll also mention, just so you know, you can post the next chapter in here and change the name of the thread to avoid losing track. Jonesy did that with H&L, for instance. Helps to keep everything together for multiple chapters and ongoing stories.
Gearhead in the digital world, who will probably grow up to be a very grumpy old man.

New Citizen

#5 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Ooh, good idea, thanks. I guess it’s better then spamming the forum with new chapters.
Where are my socks?
How is mitosis?

You know, deep stuff.

New Citizen

Re: Silverlocks 11 [in progress]

#6 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

New chapter available, what do y'all think?
Where are my socks?
How is mitosis?

You know, deep stuff.

Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by Bellhead »

I think it's a little out of character for Natani's first thought to not be "check the link". Last time it didn't work because one or the other was unconsious, but I do kinda wonder if Nat would see from Zen's body on the bed, or from his mind above it.

Interesting scenario.

New Citizen

#8 Post by TheMasterOfOats »

Bellhead wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:44 am
I think it's a little out of character for Natani's first thought to not be "check the link". Last time it didn't work because one or the other was unconsious, but I do kinda wonder if Nat would see from Zen's body on the bed, or from his mind above it.

Interesting scenario.
Hmm. I totally get what you’re saying about Natani being a tad out-of-character. I’ll definitely need to address that in the next chapter somehow. Thanks for the feedback!

(Also iOS autocorrects Natani to “Nagano” and it’s really throwing me off.)
Where are my socks?
How is mitosis?

You know, deep stuff.

Grand Templar

#9 Post by Warrl »

TheMasterOfOats wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:57 am
(Also iOS autocorrects Natani to “Nagano” and it’s really throwing me off.)
That's easy to fix: turn off autocracy. Autochthonous. Autoclave. You know what I mean.