How Does a Comic Artist Earn Money?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Shad0wC4t

How Does a Comic Artist Earn Money?

#1 Post by Shad0wC4t »

I'm looking into starting up my own comic, and art gallery, and was trying to figure this out. So how does it work? As an artist, and a comic author of a free to read online comic, how does one make their money? And how well does it pay? Do you live off of your earnings? Thanks!

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: How Does a Comic Artist Earn Money?

#2 Post by Turaiel »

Most of the time, artists in general only make money from commissioned art and maybe some merchandise here and there. For a webcomic, donations and website advertising are where most of the money comes from. In general, you won't make a significant amount of money being a comic artist, unless you get picked up by a publisher or find other artistic ways to supplement that income. On top of that, you also get to deal with high taxes (at least in the US) related to self-employment. The most important thing is to get really good at your craft and to continue loving what you do. Maybe you'll get lucky!

For obvious reasons, I won't detail how the income works with Twokinds, but I can at least say that Tom has online advertising, merch sales, and Patreon income. He is fortunate enough to have a publisher that does most of the heavy lifting on some of that.
Website Administrator

Shad0wC4t

Re: How Does a Comic Artist Earn Money?

#3 Post by Shad0wC4t »

Awesome reply! Thanks!