Music projects I'm working on

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Blayze

Music projects I'm working on

#1 Post by Blayze »

(If I'm posting this in the wrong forum, I'm sorry, I just didn't know where else to put this)

I've been working on some little music projects, one of which I like, the others I'm expecting to be taken as "cringe".

First off, I had a vibe for a TwoKinds song, so that's a thing I've been working on. Honestly, I think this idea is more "cringe" than "song", but that's just me.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k80iRUHdgFc[/video]
It's really bad, I know. But this will be changed in the future so that it actually sounds more like a proper rock song.

And then this here is an instrumental draft for a Neutral/Ephemural song, "Chrysalis". Unlike Warriors, this one is more dubstepp-y, if that counts as anything, really. I actually got the vibe for this one while working on lyrics for one of the other TwoKinds songs.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WtPqP_UQeU[/video]
The empty space was intended to create a feeling of isolation, to add to the dark tone of the song. I've filled it in, though, so it won't quite feel as empty in the final version. As for the chorus, I posted it on a Discord server and someone said that "Before I begin my rebirth" sounded an awful lot like a dubstep drop, which will be in the final version, as I plan it to be.

But I have more songs planned.

"Memories" is the Trace Legacy song, and is going to be more upbeat than Warriors or Chrysalis. It's going to center around Trace's past and how he doesn't want to remember it at all.
"Special" is the Flora song, and I can honestly say that I don't have much planned for it, other than that it's going to be about Flora as a character.
"Laura" is the Keith song, and it's going to be darker than sleeping in a cave (10/10 analogy). It's gonna be a suicide song, essentially. I understand that Keith doesn't really come off as suicidal after Laura's death, but the song is going to be very dark and emotional, about how much Keith wants Laura back.
"Fade Away" is planned to be the final TwoKinds song, and will be exclusive to the Brave Souls album. This is an emotional song, but not like "Laura". "Fade Away" is going to be a Trace/Flora song, talking about how their relationship isn't meant to work out, but that isn't going to stop them.

All the while, I've been working on the final 2 songs for an album titled "Hellforce". Those will be called "Exodus" (a 16-bit song) and "Northern Nightlight" (a peaceful, classical piano song). I'm still working on those songs, and unlike the TwoKinds songs these will not contain lyrics.
(Hellforce will be available for purchase on BandCamp for $2.99)

And on top of all this, my friend wants me to compose the soundtrack for his game, so I have a lot on my plate in terms of music; I'm hoping to get all this wrapped up before mid-2017.

Oh, and I'd like to point this out, but I can't figure out FL Studio for the life of me. So I'm using Medly, an iOS app, till I can get FL figured out.
When all else fails, Google. If that doesn't work, burn it.

musicgeek
Apprentice

Re: Music projects I'm working on

#2 Post by musicgeek »

Fellow budding music producer here, we prospective prods on the forum should do a collab some time. >.>
oh god what do i put here

ReBob
Council Member

#3 Post by ReBob »

So I had time to check these out now, had some comments.

Chrysalis, the beat really throws me off with the timing. Sounds just as rock as Warriors too. No wobbles that I could hear to classify as dubsteppy. Liked it as much as I could like something that early in production.

Warriors really gives me a Doom vibe, which is a good thing. The drums were interesting. Not much else to say.

Let me know if you want that help I offered in figuring out FL Studio.
musicgeek wrote:Fellow budding music producer here, we prospective prods on the forum should do a collab some time. >.>
Not sure if serious.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

musicgeek
Apprentice

#4 Post by musicgeek »

ReBob wrote:
musicgeek wrote:Fellow budding music producer here, we prospective prods on the forum should do a collab some time. >.>
Not sure if serious.
Seriously, we should sometime.
oh god what do i put here

Blayze

#5 Post by Blayze »

ReBob wrote:Liked it as much as I could like something that early in production.
Just a question, how much do you like it when it's this early in production?
ReBob wrote:Warriors really gives me a Doom vibe, which is a good thing.
I've listened to a lot of rock, mostly from DAGames; the reverse cymbal came from some of their songs ("Left Behind", for instance), and I'm gonna change it so that instead of a reverse cymbal at the start, it's going to have the guitar track fade in from a "deep" EQ. I'm surprised you like it, I hate how... MIDI, I guess is the proper term, they sound.

ReBob
Council Member

#6 Post by ReBob »

Blayze wrote: Just a question, how much do you like it when it's this early in production?
Honestly, mostly indifferent. Not a bad thing, just something good and something bad in a rough 30 second clip. Like the vibes, dislike the timing. Timing could work though, I've heard some good songs that make great use of that.

I've listened to a lot of rock, mostly from DAGames; the reverse cymbal came from some of their songs ("Left Behind", for instance), and I'm gonna change it so that instead of a reverse cymbal at the start, it's going to have the guitar track fade in from a "deep" EQ. I'm surprised you like it, I hate how... MIDI, I guess is the proper term, they sound.
I love the soundtracks to Doom and Doom II, so as long as the structure is there then I'm all in. I may need to check out DAGames so I can get a vibe of where you're coming from if you're drawing inspiration from them.

What are your plans moving forward with these, all digital or maybe record live instrumentation? Curious.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Blayze

#7 Post by Blayze »

ReBob wrote:
Blayze wrote: What are your plans moving forward with these, all digital or maybe record live instrumentation? Curious.
Oh, if only I had instruments. I'm using an iOS app called Medly, which is what I used to produce Helix and WolfOS, my first 2 songs. I'll be using Medly till I can figure out how to create a midi track in FL. I'll be using VSDC to align the vocal tracks and the instrumental together, and I'll also be using Audacity to edit my vocals and give them a slight echo (here's hoping I can get a death metal scream with it).

Blayze

#8 Post by Blayze »

schradieck wrote:just got a damn good mike

I'm sorry, I had to. I'll certainly take up your offer if and when I need a backup vocalist!

Blayze

#9 Post by Blayze »

UPDATE:

The instrumental got corrupted and I had to start all over again on it while I was on my plane to Hawaii. I got some damn good progress in during that time, and now the instrumental is finished. Gonna go ahead and work on the vocals next week. I've decided that I'm going to release it on October 13th this year, just as a little present for 13 years of the webcomic.

As for the rest of my songs, the Keith song is a candidate for cancellation, as I've started to lose my lyric vibe. Warriors is going to be the final song to release this year, and I'll start production on the Team Valor anthem around my birthday. The rest of the TwoKinds songs have been delayed into next year. Tomorrow I'll work on vocal drafts for the Trace song, Neutral song, Trace/Flora song, Flora song, and the Valor anthem.