Long Road North

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Long Road North

#1 Post by The Rookie »

The Lost Hare Inn & Tavern stands proudly as the unofficial hub for the sleepy canine town of Foxhunt. Thanks to its proximity to the wolf, fox and human territories, The Hare has more than its fair share of travellers gracing its halls. Here you’ll find men and women from all walks of life, from barons to fishermen, gathered around the mighty hearth.

Tonight is no different, even with the harsh cold weather outside. The mead flows, the bards play, and the familiar mumble of a dozen conversations fill the common room with cheer.

Admits the sounds of laughter and music, a young basitin was pressing the inn’s owner if he had any work for the eager lad.

“I’m sorry, son”. The inn keeper said. “There’s just no work for a cook here at the moment.”
“Maybe you could try your luck in Tylerwynn down the road.” The inn keep muttered while he busied himself cleaning a tankard with an old cloth. “The tavern there might have something for ya.”

Little did he know John had already asked around in Tylerwynn. The three taverns and inns had all turned him away as well. “No work here, lad.” They’d say. His luck hadn’t improved upon coming to Foxhunt either, as this was the last inn in town, none of which were hiring.

Still, John put on a smile and thanked the inn keeper for his time. “Would I still be able to buy a room for the night, and maybe something to eat?” John asked placing a few silver coins on the bar. “That I can manage” the inn keeper chuckled.

A moment later the inn keeper returned with a key in one hand, and a bowl of stew in the other. Once again, John thanked him, placing the key in his pocket while he searched for somewhere to eat his meal. Despite the inn being relatively busy, John managed to find a table to himself. Pulling up a stool and resting his heavy travelling pack by his feet.

Starting to think leaving home was a mistake.” John muttered to himself as he lifted a spoonful of stew to his lips. “Ugh!” John looked away in disgust. “There’s little more than beef, fat and water in this.” He sighed “No work for a cook, huh?” he said while rolling his eyes.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Phaing
Master

Re: Long Road North

#2 Post by Phaing »

Phaing arrives in town riding a small, shaggy, hammer-headed horse that looks tougher than a Blacksmith's anvil and is twice as homely.

She dismounts in front of the Lost Hare, and spends a considerable amount of time reading the sign, sounding out each word. Then she nods to herself, and heads first to the stables out back. Yes, she is taking a room but insists on taking care of her horse before seeing to herself. She even starts to do the unsaddling; "Oh, miss, if you are paying then we do all the work."
Phaing thinks about it for a moment, and then hands over a large, oblong silver coin. "You do, I watch." She's not unfriendly, once the stable boys show they know what they are about, and she can see that other people have left valuable things like saddles with them.

Ten minutes later, she enters through the back door and takes a look around. It seems safe enough, so she shakes the snow and dust out of her fur cloak and flips it back. The hat goes back too, and so people can see her face and what she has underneath the cloak (see desc).

"Need bed, pay by day." With her richly accented voice, it may take some time for her to hammer out a deal with the manager. Once that is done, she looks at the plates. "Do you have any bread?" Phaing asks, as if it is some sort of new delicacy, and with obvious hunger.... but she will take whatever she can get.
The Rookie wrote:Starting to think leaving home was a mistake.” John muttered to himself as he lifted a spoonful of stew to his lips. “Ugh!” John looked away in disgust. “There’s little more than beef, fat and water in this.” He sighed “No work for a cook, huh?” he said while rolling his eyes.
Phaing overhears most of that as she looks for a seat at the last open table. "May I?" she asks, perhaps a little confused by his appearance.
She puts the bowl to her lips and takes a long drink from it, and then shrugs and John. "Hunger is the best spice... yes?"

Phaing isn't entirely sure she said the right thing, or said it the right way, but its better than silence.
Maybe.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by kiabugboy »

(is this taking place in winter?)

the sound of a wagon's wheel bumping against uneven roads can be heard from far away, and it's faint silhouette can be seen at the end of the road from the town's gate.

a man is seen riding a horse, pulling the wagon along the road, his face looks stern and somewhat agitated while he gazed upon the sky, seeing the sun is about to disappear in the gray horizon. the road is pale white, covered in snow, while spruce trees grow tall on the side of it, acting like a barrier between the road and dirt that doesn't differ too much apart.

he picks up a lantern clung on his saddle, and pulls out a box of matches, covering his hand on the lantern as he is trying to light it as to prevent the cold winter wind from putting out the weak flames,

"bah, already way off course from the schedule..." he mutters to himself
" all you need is a sloppy keidran forgetting the equipments, to ruin your whole plan for the day" he continues while looking at the back of the wagon, where a young snow leopard is fast asleep, surrounded by various crates and bags

percy wasn't too fond of this whole trip, not a lot of customers can be had during winter times, and he wouldn't have went if he weren't in a tight spot right now, making just a simple profit in this town would at least help slow down his imminent bankruptcy and give him enough time to rethink his next plans as a merchant. desperate for any money, he brings plenty of human commodities in his wagon. Potions, spell books and scrolls, various assortments of clothing and armor, and even weapons like daggers and shields. Things that he hopes will fetch a higher price in keidran lands, like what his previous visits there has taught him.

the wagon reaches the town's gate and already, a keidran welcomes the traveller, he approaches percy and looks up "good thing you came here on time mister, the cold can be pretty unbearable here during the winter nights, welcome to our humble town" the young lad says in a welcoming tone

"humble indeed.." percy says in a demeaning way, looking at the simple houses and taverns "should've just went to a tiger village instead" he mutters to himself and continues to walk away from the keidran

he spots a tavern that seems rather decent for a night's stay and proceeded to head there

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#4 Post by Lief »

Eliza approached the town gates silently, from the forest. Quite a feat, considering the snow. With her hood up she blended in with the snow exceptionally well.

To any oblivious onlooker, it may have looked as if she appeared out of thin air when she walked through the gates and into the town proper.

She made a few stops in town before heading to one of the inns. Butcher's, tailor's, baker's... By the time she was done with errands, most of the shops and a couple of the inns were closed. Eliza quietly made her way through town, looking for an open inn and stopping in front of The Lost Hare. She cracked a wry smile, having just sold a string of hares to the butcher.

Moments later, Eliza slid into a seat across from the Western Basitin, mug of ale in hand. She raised it in greeting, but said nothing.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#5 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Phaing overhears most of that as she looks for a seat at the last open table. "May I?" she asks, perhaps a little confused by his appearance.
John hums at first looking up at the new arrival for a moment before processing the question in his mind. "Oh, sure! *ahem* Be my guest" giving her a a smile and a nod of approval as he slides his stool over to make more room. However, as he looks down towards the floor to shuffle over, he fails to notice the girl taking his dinner in her hands.

"There, now you have plenty of ro- H-Hey! Hold on, that's... *Sigh*..." He reaches out to towards her, but his arm falls against his side as he admits defeat. It's far too late to stop her.
Phaing wrote:She puts the bowl to her lips and takes a long drink from it, and then shrugs and John. "Hunger is the best spice... yes?"
John looks on in astonishment as the strange woman happily drinks away at the foul brown broth. "Damn, you must have been pretty hungry to down that with a smile. Still, I'm glad someone enjoyed it.."
Lief wrote:Moments later, Eliza slid into a seat across from the Western Basitin, mug of ale in hand. She raised it in greeting, but said nothing.
John makes a small wave in response; but continues to focus on strange soup thief when the newest member seems more content with silence for the moment.

"Sorry, I haven't introduced myself." John grins extending his hand towards Phaing. "My name's John."

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by kiabugboy »

as the tavern began filling up and people started talking, the wagon was heard approaching the tavern. getting louder and louder before screeching to a halt, sounds of metal clanking can be heard as a figure sets himself down from his horse and proceeds to walk with with his heavy boots, producing pretty noticeable loud thumps with his footsteps.

the door creaks open, and a middle aged man with silver hair and red robes, clutching a rather intricate-looking cane entered the tavern. He looks rather tired and annoyed. without looking around at it's inhabitants, Percy just ignores the rest of the tavern and walks straight to the innkeeper.

"room for one."
he said coldly and proceeds to drop three gold coins in front of the innkeeper
who then picks up the coins and tosses them around lightly in his hand. "three's not enough, i'm afraid we need more than that sir" he said to the man while he continues to wipe his tables with his other hand.

"hmm.. prices are up huh? quite a demand for a simple keidran inn like this" Percy said while straightening his robe and showing annoyance in his expression.
"very well then," he reaches into his gold-filled coin pouch and gives the innkeeper two more coins "will that do?" he said in an almost demeaning tone. " will do" the innkeeper replied coldly and tosses Percy the keys which Percy then caught in mid-air.

before percy could walk into his room, the innkeeper called again. "what about that fellow there?" as he points outside the window, where a snow leopard is seen tending to the horse and wagon.
"he can sleep in the stable while taking care of the horse. his kind can withstand the cold anyway" percy replied and continued to walk.

slightly angered by the man's attitude towards the snow leopard, the innkeeper said again in a louder voice "at least let the boy get some meal!"

"i've spent enough of my money on this damn tavern sir! now if you'll excuse me, i'll get some much needed rest!" percy replied sternly and walked into his room. but then stopped for a moment and sighed. he returned to the innkeeper and dropped a coin.
"give him a drink or two,i'm probably being a bit hard on the kid today... but i don't need him slacking off in the job tomorrow! so nothing more than that!" he said firmly and finally walked off into his room, locking his door.

the innkeeper muttered a few words in keidran quietly. he then proceeds to wave his hand at the snow leopard, signalling him to come in.

the door creaks open again, and this time, a young snow leopard entered the tavern, he walked to the innkeeper. "yes?" he asked.
"i convinced grumpy old man there to get you some drink" the innkeeper replied "tell you what, you can have a bowl of stew as well, no charge." he smiles "it's our special recipe"

"oh, i really appreciate it. thank you sir!" judah replied with a grin. "y'know, we could also let you stay in a room tonight if you need to" the inkeeper continued "oh, no thanks sir, that won't be neccesary. I've got extra blankets in the wagon, and i need to make sure all of our cargos are safe as well. i appreciate the offer though" he smiled and proceeded to take a seat in one of the tables, sipping on a glass of warm ale as the cold wind continued to blow against the tavern walls

Phaing
Master

#7 Post by Phaing »

The Rookie wrote: "There, now you have plenty of ro- H-Hey! Hold on, that's... *Sigh*..." He reaches out to towards her, but his arm falls against his side as he admits defeat. It's far too late to stop her.

((OOC; I didn't intend for her to take his, but its okay. I didn't word that as carefully as I could have... and I can have some fun playing it just like that))
The Rookie wrote:Damn, you must have been pretty hungry to down that with a smile. Still, I'm glad someone enjoyed it..[/color]"
Phaing nods and starts to smile... and then reality dawns on her. She carefully sets the bowl back down, here eyes taking in the utensils and the settings. It had not occurred to her that the big bowl wasn't a communal bowl, but rather the exclusive property of just one person here. Only now does she look around, and notice how the other tables are set. Simple fare, but the quantity of it indicates an unheard of bounty... by her standards.
One must take advantage of such an opportunity...

Lief wrote: Moments later, Eliza slid into a seat across from the Western Basitin, mug of ale in hand. She raised it in greeting, but said nothing.
The Rookie wrote:John makes a small wave in response; but continues to focus on strange soup thief when the newest member seems more content with silence for the moment.
Phaing mimics the gesture, still feeling so foolish that you all can see that even skin as dark as hers can blush, a deep maroon color in her case.
She can't help doing a double-take at Eliza, "Interesting eyes..."

The Rookie wrote:"Sorry, I haven't introduced myself." John grins extending his hand towards Phaing. "My name's John."
Her gaze snaps back to him, and she bites her lip before answering; "Phaing. My name, Phaing. I needs to take care of this."
She raises her had and snaps her fingers to attract the Innkeeper's attention. He keeps her waiting, and the other hand comes to rest on the pommel of her sword.

kiabugboy wrote: "oh, i really appreciate it. thank you sir!" judah replied with a grin. "y'know, we could also let you stay in a room tonight if you need to" the inkeeper continued "oh, no thanks sir, that won't be neccesary. I've got extra blankets in the wagon, and i need to make sure all of our cargos are safe as well. i appreciate the offer though" he smiled and proceeded to take a seat in one of the tables, sipping on a glass of warm ale as the cold wind continued to blow against the tavern walls

Ah, so that is why he kept her waiting. Such a nice fellow, too. She nods to the Snow Leopard and then stands up, the hand that was on her sword goes to her pocket as she plants herself in the Innkeeper's path.
"Pr-haps I din't make myself clear to you." She gestures to the table, and then puts a coin in his hand, and closes it around the little thing. It is only the size of a dime, but it is made of Gold that is close to pure.
"Wanting food. Good stuff, enough for all four. Making me happy means I doan' ask for change back, yes?"

She is so serious about getting this right that she even tries to follow him back to the Kitchen, as if she intended to carry it back to the table herself. The innkeeper shoes her back to the table, and assures her that there will be Bread, as soon as some can be baked.

Phaing returns to the table looking pleased with herself. "Making things right, not so hard, here."

(I was not able to keep the triple-boxing thing from happening, so I underlined Phaing's responses to make them stand out)
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#8 Post by The Rookie »

Phaing wrote:Her gaze snaps back to him, and she bites her lip before answering; "Phaing. My name, Phaing. I needs to take care of this."
She raises her had and snaps her fingers to attract the Innkeeper's attention. He keeps her waiting, and the other hand comes to rest on the pommel of her sword.
With Phaing now occupied with the barman; John waves his extended hand up and down in a shaking motion before pulling his hand back. "I guess that's not your custom either..." John lets out a long sigh before looking up at the table's newest member. "Hey, be careful around that one. She might just knock off your booze if you're not careful." he says shaking his head with a smile.
Phaing wrote:Ah, so that is why he kept her waiting. Such a nice fellow, too. She nods to the Snow Leopard and then stands up, the hand that was on her sword goes to her pocket as she plants herself in the Innkeeper's path.
"Hey, watch it. I'm trying to run a business here, so if you'd please-"
Phaing wrote:"Pr-haps I din't make myself clear to you." She gestures to the table, and then puts a coin in his hand, and closes it around the little thing. It is only the size of a dime, but it is made of Gold that is close to pure.
"Wanting food. Good stuff, enough for all four. Making me happy means I doan' ask for change back, yes?"
The dog watches in bewilderment as the girl wraps his fingers around the coin. Never in all his years had he ever encounter someone her age act so child like and innocent. He takes a deep breath in before pinching at the bridge of him muzzle "Look, lady. I've got another dozen people ahead of you waiting. Your food will come when it's your turn, alright? Just go wait over by your table."
Phaing wrote:She is so serious about getting this right that she even tries to follow him back to the Kitchen, as if she intended to carry it back to the table herself. The innkeeper shoes her back to the table, and assures her that there will be Bread, as soon as some can be baked.
"Alright, alright, I'll send some one over as soon as I can. Just please, let me work." The bar keep doesn't raise his voice, nor threaten. If anything, he seems to have gotten the impression that Phaing may be a little soft headed. Feeling it would be best just to bare it, and help the lass along.
Phaing wrote:Phaing returns to the table looking pleased with herself. "Making things right, not so hard, here."
It's not long after that a great ruckus can be heard from across the room. There's a crashing sound, followed by a handful of angered shouts and jeers. A trio of foxes sat drenched in ale after one of the waitstaff tripped over a stay tail, sending her delicately balanced platter flying.

"Damn it, Pen! It would never have hired you if I knew you'd spill more beers than you served." the owner shouts as he rushes over to help the fallen she-wolf. Once he's at her side though, his voice is far more caring and gentle. "You alright, lov? Nothing bruised or broken, is there?" he ask, as he gingerly helps to raise her to her knees. The snow wolf nods gently "N-No.... I'm ok... Sorry, boss.."
"Don't worry, these things happen. Give it another week or so, and you'll get the hang of it." he says as he pulls her to her feet. "I'll deal with these three runts. What I want you to do is head back to the kitchen and fetch us up four bowls of stew, and a loaf of bread for the table in the corner over there, alight? The one with the weirdo with the long ears, you can't miss it."
"O-Ok, I can do that." she says, forcing a smile.

Phaing
Master

#9 Post by Phaing »

( I'm not trying to take center stage, but if you guys don't mind, I'll give it about 3 days and then reply if nobody else says anythng. Okay?)

The Rookie wrote: "Don't worry, these things happen. Give it another week or so, and you'll get the hang of it." he says as he pulls her to her feet. "I'll deal with these three runts. What I want you to do is head back to the kitchen and fetch us up four bowls of stew, and a loaf of bread for the table in the corner over there, alight? The one with the weirdo with the long ears, you can't miss it."
She watches that exchange, open-mouthed at how softly it is resolved. Then she smiles. This place is very, very different from what she ran away from.

"I hope yous don't mind, I feel like celebrating. I come a long ways and now I think I don't have to go much farther. Phaing... that's me, feels very good now. I want all of yous to feel good too." She glances around, and then shrugs. "He said food comes soon, dunno what that means."

She looks to John; "Booze?" and then notices the tankard. "Oh!"

((she does not have one yet, does she?))

-George Bernard Shaw

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by kiabugboy »

Phaing wrote:Phaing returns to the table looking pleased with herself. "Making things right, not so hard, here."
Judah was, predictably confused at the woman's strange behavior. though this isn't the first time he has traveled in keidran lands, he spent most of his life including his birth in human lands as a slave, and this particular village has never been visited by him until now.

thinking that some keidran villages might have different customs than others, Judah decided it is a good idea to ask around about any of the cultures here, maybe he can even get information about the markets here where percy will be planning to set up a trading post. He is somewhat nervous to go up to the strangers on the table, but Judah did anyway.

"uhm, excuse me" he said while standing in front of the table. he then takes a seat beside the lady in the hood, who, doesn't seem much for conversation.

so he turns his attention to the other girl and asks " h-hey, uhm- my name is Judah, at your service," he says the same sentence he always says when meeting new people. "i'm just-uh, wondering, if you're from around here" he continued while he grins. "if so, i hope i can ask around a bit about this place"

The Rookie wrote: It's not long after that a great ruckus can be heard from across the room. There's a crashing sound, followed by a handful of angered shouts and jeers. A trio of foxes sat drenched in ale after one of the waitstaff tripped over a stay tail, sending her delicately balanced platter flying.
a muffled yet loud thumping noise of a cane banging against walls can be heard from one of the rooms, and a similar muffled voice was heard "goddamnit! i'm trying to sleep you goddamn animals!!"

The Rookie wrote: "Damn it, Pen! It would never have hired you if I knew you'd spill more beers than you served." the owner shouts as he rushes over to help the fallen she-wolf. Once he's at her side though, his voice is far more caring and gentle. "You alright, lov? Nothing bruised or broken, is there?" he ask, as he gingerly helps to raise her to her knees. The snow wolf nods gently "N-No.... I'm ok... Sorry, boss.."
"Don't worry, these things happen. Give it another week or so, and you'll get the hang of it." he says as he pulls her to her feet. "I'll deal with these three runts. What I want you to do is head back to the kitchen and fetch us up four bowls of stew, and a loaf of bread for the table in the corner over there, alight? The one with the weirdo with the long ears, you can't miss it."
the conversation that had just happened made Judah remember of a similar exchange he had with Percy, quite often actually...
and he can't help but feel a little sympathetic towards the snow wolf.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#11 Post by Lief »

Eliza half-cocks an eyebrow at the Westerner and unusual human and their brief exchange, then shakes her head and downs her ale. Half of it, anyways.

She let her eyes wander over the other patrons until the merchant entered. She made note of his attire and decided to check out his wares if he set up shop before she left. He might have something useful, since he decided to enter wolf territory.

Her eyes flicked back to the Westerner at the table as the foreigner marched off towards the innkeep.
The Rookie wrote:John lets out a long sigh before looking up at the table's newest member. "Hey, be careful around that one. She might just knock off your booze if you're not careful." he says shaking his head with a smile.
"She might lose a hand for it." Elizabeth said dryly, the tiniest sliver of a smile the only indication that she wasn't entirely serious. She went quiet again, occasionally sipping her ale.

When the snow leopard sits at the table she acknowledges him with a vague nod-like gesture.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#12 Post by The Rookie »

The waitress appears by the table soon after; baring a tray with 4 tankards of ale, and a wooden board with loaf of bread with a bowl of butter.

"H-Hi, sorry about the wait. The old coot has been serving people the meat drippings as stew while the owner had his back turned."
John looks back at the bowl in disgust, know understanding the flavours of the god awful meal he'd been given. "I-I'll be back with some actual food shortly, but here, these are on the house." she gently places the two trays in the centre of the table where everyone can reach before heading back.

"Here, Phiang." John says as her hands her a tankard of the dark brown fruity brew. "After downing that mess you deserve this."

He waits till she takes the mug firmly in her hands before banging his own gently against hers. "Here's to your travels, and your iron gut."

Phaing
Master

#13 Post by Phaing »

kiabugboy wrote: so he turns his attention to the other girl and asks " h-hey, uhm- my name is Judah, at your service," he says the same sentence he always says when meeting new people. "i'm just-uh, wondering, if you're from around here" he continued while he grins. "if so, i hope i can ask around a bit about this place"
Phaing smiles at him in a friendly way, warming to him. "Hello Judah.... I mean, well met. Right?"

She scratches her head, and shakes her head. "No, I am from far away, just left the ship two days ago. I know less than you do about this place."
She turns to John, but before she can say anything -

The Rookie wrote:The waitress appears by the table soon after; baring a tray with 4 tankards of ale, and a wooden board with loaf of bread with a bowl of butter.
Her eyes light up. "Oh yes, come to Momma!" And if anyone looks at her odd fondness; "Yeah, maybe I should not be so eager, I don't even know what this stuff is made from yet!"

The Rookie wrote: He waits till she takes the mug firmly in her hands before banging his own gently against hers. "Here's to your travels, and your iron gut."
"Iron gut? Oh, I get it! Ah, well, it wasn't so bad... now, I am spoiled to the finer things!"
She smiles and clinks his mug back and drinks... and sneezes.
She stares at the mug, and the little bubbles in the Ale. ]"It boils and is cool... is this magic?"

-George Bernard Shaw

Phaing
Master

#14 Post by Phaing »

Lief wrote: "She might lose a hand for it." Elizabeth said dryly, the tiniest sliver of a smile the only indication that she wasn't entirely serious. She went quiet again, occasionally sipping her ale.
Phaing does not smile back.
"You are very protective of things that do not last for long.". Her eyes roam Elizabeth's figure, bodly perhaps. What she is actually doing it counting weapons, or bulges in her clothing that resemble weapons.

-George Bernard Shaw

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by kiabugboy »

Phaing wrote: "Hello Judah.... I mean, well met. Right?"

She scratches her head, and shakes her head. "No, I am from far away, just left the ship two days ago. I know less than you do about this place."
She turns to John, but before she can say anything -

"uhm, i think 'hello' is good enough"
judah said smiling awkwardly and rubbing the back of his neck. "heheh, you're definitely not from around here.." he gives a friendly grin to the woman
The Rookie wrote: "Here's to your travels, and your iron gut."
Judah turns his attention to the basitin.
"uhm, you're not from around here aren't you"
he said in a curious manner
"forgive me if it's rude to ask, but-uh, you're one of those island inhabitants right? i heard they're-uhm, at war or something" he continues.
"it must have been horrible to live there, is that why you moved here?"