"REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

Re: "REAL" Firearms thread (no politics please)

#106 Post by SirSlaughter »

Mud, you see that? Numbers 57-58? There. Have your home defense round. If you really want .50 beowolf then why not go for broke.

I hate it when customers come in saying "insert caliber here" is no good and will only piss off the "insert your word for bad guy here" and how "insert stupidly large caliber here" is the best home defense round.

I'm not gonna go into the best way to kill a man because every time people start talking about home defense rounds and I explain the advantages of certain rounds against fleshy targets I get complaints about how I'm talking about killing people and stuff. So just go for 57-58 and call it a day.

I'm a 9mm kind of guy but I found a love for certain .45 handguns.
(sorry if I sound like I'm angry, I'm not. Just slightly irked at the whole this round is better for killing a guy convos that happen)

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#107 Post by Lief »

I find it amusing there are even arguments over the best "home defense" round. Unless you live in a castle or mansion, you can't go wrong with a 12ga shotgun. You don't even need to be a good shot, really.

Also of all those rounds there, clearly the best is the .577 Tyrannosaur. I mean it's named after a /dinosaur/, how much more badass can a bullet get?

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#108 Post by nsamok6620 »

I agree in the 12GA first home defense. No need for precision aiming in a panic, and less chance of overpenitration.

I did hear a story once, and of course I have no idea if it's really true, but a guy was shot nearly point blank with bird shot (don't know if it was 12ga, 20, 410, or what) but it didn't kill him. The pellets didn't have enough energy to get past his rin cage. I'm sure it would drop anyone who isn't a bad [censored] like that guy who supposed k you walked himself to the ambulance when it showed up, but I think I'll stick with buck shot.

Changing the topic if you don't mind. What's your favorite bizarre firearm? Old or new doesn't matter. I have an interest in firearms that don't behave like normal ones. Example: semi-auto revolver lol. For a while I was planning on getting the Calico 9mm with its 100 round helix magazine, but I guess they actually don't function well at all. There are many others I've seen that I couldn't ever own, but the Calico is just the first that comes to mind.
Check out secretstageproductions.com
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
___━━____━━|:::::: ^━━━^
___━━____━━|::::::|=◕w◕=|
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#109 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

SirSlaughter wrote:[im]http://i39.tinypic.com/2prbic8.jpg[/img]

Mud, you see that? Numbers 57-58? There. Have your home defense round. If you really want .50 beowolf then why not go for broke.

I hate it when customers come in saying "insert caliber here" is no good and will only piss off the "insert your word for bad guy here" and how "insert stupidly large caliber here" is the best home defense round.

I'm not gonna go into the best way to kill a man because every time people start talking about home defense rounds and I explain the advantages of certain rounds against fleshy targets I get complaints about how I'm talking about killing people and stuff. So just go for 57-58 and call it a day.

I'm a 9mm kind of guy but I found a love for certain .45 handguns.
(sorry if I sound like I'm angry, I'm not. Just slightly irked at the whole this round is better for killing a guy convos that happen)
In all actuality I would use a 12 gauge or something more practical, I just think the .50 Beowulf is funny as all hell, and do actually want an AR chambered in it just for [censored] & giggles.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#110 Post by nsamok6620 »

I had a good day yesterday. And even though my dad spent more than twice as much as I did, I think he had a good day too haha.

Unfortunately I couldn't get exactly what I was looking for, because I apparently have expencive tastes. But I think I'll be able to build this one up to the way I want it. And all I need is a long m-lok fore end and matching magpul flip up sights. I'd get a matching Roger front sight, but I guess it sucks. But just those three things will end up being about $150, so I'll wait a little while before I get them.

So what did I get? I got a Ruger AR-556. It came down to a choice between this and a S&W M&P15. But the S&W has a trigger that isn't compatible with other lowers so I opted to get this one. And even though I was originally just wanted a black one, I actually quite like the green. It isn't poke you in the eye like tan is.
Spoiler!
As for my dad? Well, take a look. This is the newer version that neither of us new existed. The improved the trigger, moved the charging handle back, changed from an AK style mag release to an AR (index finger instead of lever by mag) and added rails on both sides and the bottom all covered by removable covers.
Spoiler!
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#111 Post by SirSlaughter »

So have you had the chance to shoot either the AR or the TAR?
If so, how did you like them?

Also, I just put a Springfield XDS 9MM on layaway at one of my local gun shops. They got my business because of the layaway setup they had, AND they actually had the damned thing on hand.
So chances are either next paycheck or in the next month I will have a new handgun for personal carry. I will of course also do a carry class so I understand laws involving carrying a firearm.

That and 9mm isn't expensive to take to the range. If it was strictly a self defense only thing I would have gone with the 45.
I am excited to own my first handgun. I'm gonna have fun customizing it.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#112 Post by nsamok6620 »

SirSlaughter wrote:So have you had the chance to shoot either the AR or the TAR?
If so, how did you like them?
Sadly no. We've been preparing for the wedding that's on Saturday since before we even bought them. So I'm not sure when we will get a chance to go to the range. I'll let you guys know when I do though.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#113 Post by SirSlaughter »

So I went ahead and "pulled the trigger" (gun joke please laugh) and I now own a Springfield XDS 9mm.
I don't know if I want to go to the range today or maybe even tomorrow just to break this baby in with ammo I happen to have. I will probably go tomorrow.
I ended up with the Law Enforcement model so I feel special and I managed to save $30 by not needing to get an additional magazine. (it came with 3; 2 extended and 1 standard)
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
And of course, the obligatory pic of my growing supply cache of ammunition.
Spoiler!
So now I have a small rifle for plinking and a handgun for both range fun and home/self defense. I'll probably get my license in the coming weeks.

EDIT:
So the next day after I got the XDS, I got this in and instantly put them on;
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
Spoiler!

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#114 Post by nsamok6620 »

Are those the same as your tattoo or does it just happen to look somewhat similar? I don't remember exactly what it looks like any more.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

SirSlaughter
Templar Inner Circle

#115 Post by SirSlaughter »

nsamok6620 wrote:Are those the same as your tattoo or does it just happen to look somewhat similar? I don't remember exactly what it looks like any more.
It's just a tribal design with the same pose. I figure it was a little cooler than a Grim Reaper.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#116 Post by nsamok6620 »

SirSlaughter wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:Are those the same as your tattoo or does it just happen to look somewhat similar? I don't remember exactly what it looks like any more.
It's just a tribal design with the same pose. I figure it was a little cooler than a Grim Reaper.
Much cooler if you ask me. I wasn't planning on getting an engraved dust cover for my AR, but I might get something animal related if I can think of something cool.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

Deaththekat
Merchant

#117 Post by Deaththekat »

All i have to say is simple

1943 7.7 type 38 jap rifel that has seen combat with the emporers seal intact.

Go on and drool gun nuts
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#118 Post by nsamok6620 »

Deaththekat wrote:All i have to say is simple

Go on and drool gun nuts
I won't drool only because they aren't much of a looker imo, but i can sure as hell appreciate he rarety if it. Like damn! I thought my 1942 Soviet Tokarev with no "import mark" (a crapy safety the added when they were imported) was special.

Too bad ammo for that thing pretty much doesn't exist from what i understand.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

Deaththekat
Merchant

#119 Post by Deaththekat »

nsamok6620 wrote:

Go on and drool gun nuts
I won't drool only because they aren't much of a looker imo, but i can sure as hell appreciate he rarety if it. Like damn! I thought my 1942 Soviet Tokarev with no "import mark" (a crapy safety the added when they were imported) was special.

If you mean for the 7.7
It does exist, its just expensive as hell
Also, your soviet sounds gorgeous. Ill try and find some pictures of the 7.7, seeing as its stored about 1000 miles away at the moment
The one and only Ottershark!
Resident stoner/metalhead.
It took me 4 years, 8 months, 23 days, 4 hours, and 30 minutes to post 100 times

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#120 Post by nsamok6620 »

Deaththekat wrote:
nsamok6620 wrote:

Go on and drool gun nuts

If you mean for the 7.7
It does exist, its just expensive as hell
Also, your soviet sounds gorgeous. Ill try and find some pictures of the 7.7, seeing as its stored about 1000 miles away at the moment
Its a nice looking firearm for sure, but weathered would be a better word for it haha. It for sure saw some action seeing as there was no rifling in the barel and the cleaning brush dropped straight through XD

Got a new barrel, modified the feed ramp to address jamming issues with it, and the thing works like a dream. If there was a safe way to carry it and still be able to use it in a panic I'd use it as a carry weapon, but single action+no safety means I'd either have to pull the hammer or slide back before fireing it unless i was crazy and carried it with the hammer back and a round in the chamber.

But yeah if you could find some pictures of yours I'd ove to see it. I posted some pics of the Tokarev pretty early on in the thread I beleive if you wanted to see it.
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O