The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#16 Post by Ketzal »

Okay, you got a point about the Wii U library. Though you did miss Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon and Pikmin 3 :P
Dadrobit wrote:So I don't get why criticizing Zelda for lack of keeping up should be any different.
I'm sorry if I'm just being ignorant here, but keeping up in what regard exactly? In graphics? Nintendo has never been known for having the highest graphical quality in their games. They've always done better with aesthetics, just look at stuff like Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island. I'm sorry that the graphics are disappointing you so much, but come on, what did you expect?
Dadrobit wrote:Congratulations Zelda, you've caught up with Morrowind. Welcome to the 21st century of player choice. :mrgrin:
Yeah, because Morrowind had a seriously complex combat system of "mash attack button until enemy dead" S:P

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#17 Post by Dadrobit »

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:Okay, you got a point about the Wii U library. Though you did miss Xenoblade Chronicles X, Splatoon and Pikmin 3 :P
Ah, granted Xenoblade Chronicles does look interesting; like something I could definitely get into. But Splatoon and Pikmin I can't see myself playing at all.
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:So I don't get why criticizing Zelda for lack of keeping up should be any different.
I'm sorry if I'm just being ignorant here, but keeping up in what regard exactly? In graphics? Nintendo has never been known for having the highest graphical quality in their games. They've always done better with aesthetics, just look at stuff like Paper Mario and Yoshi's Island. I'm sorry that the graphics are disappointing you so much, but come on, what did you expect?
Better than what they had shown a year ago I suppose.
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:Congratulations Zelda, you've caught up with Morrowind. Welcome to the 21st century of player choice. :mrgrin:
Yeah, because Morrowind had a seriously complex combat system of "mash attack button until enemy dead" S:P
:mrgrin: Yeah, but it was all about the setup.

Hyper evade unarmored hand-to-hand? Death from above Icarian flight+crossbow? Sneaky stabby invisibility+Daedric Dai-Katana? Conjuration+Restoration Golden Saint tank?

Choices, choices, choices...

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by Ketzal »

Okay, this is kinda getting off-topic. I understand the grievances you have with the series Dadrobit, but in the end it's still a new legend of zelda game boasting some features that sounds like a lot of fun. I'm excited regardless. If you aren't, sorry that's the case.

Also on-topic, I'm wondering if they're going for the original concept of Legend of Zelda with this game. Originally they wanted the NES Legend of Zelda to be about Link traveling back and forth through the far past and far future ("Linking" the times, hence the name), and now we see Link in the standard archaic Hyrule age using what looks like a futuristic smartphone-shaped device that puts you in a futuristic-looking interface when you use the tools it provides. It might be a stretch, but I think it'd be a cool direction to take it

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#19 Post by Sage Asuka »

HMMMMMM...is it still considered necroposting when it's speculation of a game yet to come out that probably doesn't deserve a whole new thread...ah well I'll accept the slap on the wrist if I am because WHOO BOY I CANT BELIEVE I MISSED THIS TOPIC. Lemme just fill it up with some positives because I'm noticing a hell of a lot of negatives -cracks knuckles-

First off, I am very bias because Zelda is my lifeblood. Not too bias though because I will tear into games like Twilight Princess (good game during a time where a lot of stuff flopped but I will always regard it as a visually boring, easy, and messy game). But I'm genuinely excited for Breath of the Wild.

Let me start by saying I don't like the trailer. When I saw the trailer my first thought was 'that's it?' and I was immensely disappointed. The world looked empty and the visuals did shift from 2015.

THEEEEEN I sat through and watched every single video Nintendo posted of them playing through that small sample of the game. I NEED this game. There were so many things that caught my eye that I wanted to run to and explore. The land is very inviting to the explorer player like myself. Not only that, but interactive as HELL. There are a lot of open world games, but I can't recall any that let you burn down fields like a maniac, cut down trees to make bridges, roll rocks at enemies...heck someone even crafted a freakin see-saw out of some planks and rocks and flung themselves through the air because WHY NOT. And that is incredibly impressive when a game can let that happen. Letting players do whatever like that is such a risky move and from what I can tell the game is handling it well.

The animations are also incredible. I love how Link can kick a chest barefoot and immediately grab his foot in pain. I love how he shivers in the cold. I love how I can punt a skeleton's head off a cliff like a football. I love how I can pick up a skeleton's freakin arm and beat him with it.

After all the hand holding the series has been doing lately, I'm very excited to be unleashed on a world so HEAVILY Zelda I inspired and free to do whatever I want. It's even exciting to know that you can theoretically run straight for the final boss battle and immediately beat the game.

Aesthetically yes, the game shifted. But after seeing what all I can do in this game I understand completely why. The world is huge and their direction is making something beautiful that can accommodate a lot of player action. Plus a weather system in a day/night cycle? Like...wow this game is REALLY doing a lot.

Also can I say that is one CLEVER use of amiibo having wolf Link be your companion? I need a wolf to be my travel buddy!

It is also worth noting that npcs were removed for the demo. The fact that people can get excited for the game sans npcs is a good sign.

So yeah, I'm excited as hell for this game and know where my entire March is going to be. Also excited for so many Sheikah and possible expansion on their lore.
Image Image Image Image

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#20 Post by Schrodinger »

What was it the spider said to the fly...

HeckobA
Master

#21 Post by HeckobA »

That is adorable :grin:
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#22 Post by Sage Asuka »

https://youtu.be/vDFZIUdo764
Confirming dogs and a bird race that might be from the Rito
Image Image Image Image

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#23 Post by JediGuy »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE[/video]

HOOOHHH MY GOD. I NEED NEW PANTS.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#24 Post by TinyVoices »

Voice acting, in my Zelda game?

I dunno about this.... But either way I will never be able to play this because why buy a game system for one game...

Edit: From a lore aspect, I like the theory that this is a Wind Waker follow up. That this is the same Hyrule as the one in WW, but this is the hero of that time that was meant to originally save the day. To think that only 100 years passed since the events that caused the calamity flood to occur, however, is ludicrous. The 100 years they keep mentioning better be about something else. Even if it was 100 years since WW ended, where Ganon was sealed away under the ocean. That just seems too short of a time gap.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#25 Post by Ketzal »

TinyVoices wrote:Voice acting, in my Zelda game?

I dunno about this.... But either way I will never be able to play this because why buy a game system for one game...
You...DO realize there are other games coming out on the switch right? New Mario game, shin megami tensei, splatoon 2?

I get wanting to be skeptical, but saying you'll never play a game that has another three months to come out just because you don't think you'll play any other games on the console seems kinda presumptuous

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#26 Post by TinyVoices »

Ketzal wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:Voice acting, in my Zelda game?

You...DO realize there are other games coming out on the switch right? New Mario game, shin megami tensei, splatoon 2?

I get wanting to be skeptical, but saying you'll never play a game that has another three months to come out just because you don't think you'll play any other games on the console seems kinda presumptuous
I kinda moved on from platforms. And not to mention I'm not interested in most of Nintendo's stuff. I loved Smash, Zelda, and Animal Crossing, but most other Nintendo or 3rd party Nintendo games just didn't interest me. Not to mention I have no income, so dropping any few $100s isn't going to happen.

It isn't presumptuous if I know I won't ever have this console for any other reason than to play this game.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#27 Post by Myperson54 »

Honestly, I'm okay with this. Mute LoZ Characters are fine, but it looks like they'll do a good job of the voice acting.

Now, I've heard the English VA is only okay, so I have to wonder... Now that Nintendo has gone back on region-lock, might we get dual-audio?

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

JediGuy
Zombicidal Maniac

#28 Post by JediGuy »

Call me crazy...but the line from the Deku-tree lookalike. "You don't remember me, either."

The last time we saw a Deku tree was Ocarina of Time, when the baby Deku was sprouting and all. Give it time to grow big, plus some Farie magic, add in the fact that it looks -very- similar to the OoT map layout (just understandably bigger, given technological advancements), the fact that the castle grounds look rather similar...

I don't know why, but I'm getting a serious vibe about this happening after OoT; perhaps immediately in the timeline.
Magic is merely science that we have yet to understand.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#29 Post by TinyVoices »

JediGuy wrote:I don't know why, but I'm getting a serious vibe about this happening after OoT; perhaps immediately in the timeline.
One theory is that this is a Wind Waker follow up.

The timeline so far stands that in the Adult timeline, the Hero of Time successfully defeats Ganon at the ruins of his (and Hyrule) castle. The hero then vanishes (because he was sent back in time by Zelda in the hopes of stopping Ganon before the events in OoT even happened, but the citizens don't know of this) and is never seen again. Many years later Ganon breaks the seal and is freed. The people of Hyrule pray for the Hero of Time to return and once again save them, but he never does. The people become desperate, and instead pray to the gods for salvation. This is all known through the introduction of Wind Waker.

However, it is postulated that the King of Hyrule, the King of Red Lions, had indeed met the hero of Hyrule shortly after Ganon had reappeared. However, the King was not sure that this was the hero, and so he sent him away. Denying this hero of any hope to find the Master Sword, or any other measure required to face Ganon. This hero then faced Ganon horribly underprepared, and was defeated. The magnitude of this defeat was not made known to the citizens of Hyrule, and so to them the hero had simply never appeared. Because the Curse of Demise was put out of kilter through this (the hero of Courage that rose to face the villain of Power was defeated), the only hope to return balance was for the Goddesses to intervene. They then decided to flood Hyrule, so that Ganon would be sealed until such a time that a new hero of Courage could rise to fight him. Thus opens Wind Waker, and the Hero of the Wind.

During the events of Wind Waker, the Koroks are assigned the task of spreading new forests throughout the islands, so that someday the ocean could be fully drained. This then pulls up the point that because the Koroks are present here, as well as bird species (much like the Rito in WW). The Hyrule present may look much like the one in OoT, because that is also a similar Hyrule as in WW. We may be looking at the remains of that Hyrule, after the Korok's task was completed. It is possible that the 100 years that passed, was the events that took place in Wind Waker where the Hero of the Wind successfully sealed Ganon at the top of Hyrule castle with the power of the Master Sword.

Vortex explains a lot in the youtube videos I linked prior to this; Hero of the Flood and the placement on the timeline.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#30 Post by Myperson54 »

I'm not amazingly well-behaved in LoZ lore, but this theory is one I've seen before and seems pretty consistent with the timeline. Not too much guesswork or jumps of logic, just enough background to make sense. I'd be willing to buy it as the plot.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!