Malicious Site Redirects

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Death-Bunny

Malicious Site Redirects

#1 Post by Death-Bunny »

I'm not sure if this belongs in FAQ, or Ranting. Or even on the twokinds forum, instead of a forum for Keenspot.
Basically, I clicked on my bookmark to twokinds.keenspot.com and started reading the most recent page. After about 5 seconds, I was redirected to a page pretending to be Adobe's Flash Player Download Page where a download for a file named something along the lines of what the adobe flash player download would be named instantly started without any input. Google Chrome blocked the download for me, potentially saving me a lot of trouble.
Here is a screenshot of the event in browser history:
Of course, do not go to that site yourself, unless you purposefully want whatever malware it tried to give me.
And here are VirusTotal scans of the Website, the page I was redirected to, and the file Google Chrome blocked.
Scan of Website
Scan of Page
Scan of Blocked File

Overall, I have a single question.
  • Has anything like this happened to anyone else, on any keenspot hosted website.

Razmoudah
Merchant

Re: Malicious Site Redirects

#2 Post by Razmoudah »

I'm not in the loop enough to know how to do it, but I do know that it is possible to do something like that through various ad-services, especially if the individual ads aren't vetted before being ran. It's because of things like that that I use a Linux-box for a very sizable portion of my Internet browsing.

I'd have to say that this probably needs reported to Keenspot themselves, but I also suspect that they'll pay it more attention if one of the people who pay for their services complains about people having difficult reading the comic that justifies them paying for said service (note: I have no idea if Keenspot is a pay-for or free service, or much of anything about it other than it being a hosting service in general) than someone who reads a comic that happens to be hosted by Keenspot.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#3 Post by SirJahar »

I will say that I had the exact same thing happen to me about a week ago.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

You might try putting this in the Tech Board. Or having a mod move it for you.

That's really strange.. The main site has always been clean for me. I'm assuming you don't block Flash by default? That can cause problems as well.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#5 Post by aj »

Woooo. More infected ads on Keenspot. I've notified Turaiel, who can get in touch with the Keenspot folks directly.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#6 Post by Bellhead »

I still have not had this happen to me. It must be an ad of some kind.

Has this happened on any other sites for any of you?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#7 Post by SirJahar »

Yes, with the same thing, a fake flash installer.

zy-fi
Citizen

#8 Post by zy-fi »

Same thing happened to me a week or so ago. I kept getting redirected to random things, like "Congratulations you've won!" stuff. It was happening every other time I checked in. I've avoided doing this, but I activated ad block on the site, because I can't read it otherwise.
Every day I'm shoopin'

Death-Bunny

#9 Post by Death-Bunny »

This happened again, just now, but instead of an adobe flash update it was a "Urgent Chrome Update"

Scan of website
Scan of page
Scan of auto-downloaded file
Page's html

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by TheMouse »

Happens to me, too.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Hdeath1
Citizen

#11 Post by Hdeath1 »

The redirection problem is a sort of virus that comes with a fake "update"(usually it's a file the worms it's way into your system folders somewhere). It's usually more common on phones or other handheld devices but it's also on PC if you visit websites that aren't HTTPS. There is also a fake security for web pages(don't remember the name but the IP is based out of India) that will use these "ads" in order to install Trojans and other malicious files onto your device/PC(mostly tracking viruses) so be careful as to not click on anything even the X for the popup. You will most likely have to completely close out of the browser. If you do accidentally click on something from the pop up you will most likely start receiving ddos attacks on your entire network and they wont stop unless you reset your internet IP(you can block the IPs from where they ping but they're different every time, they seem to be using some sort of IP Scrambler).

(In case your wondering, yes I have experienced all this...)
My DA:http://hdeath1.deviantart.com/gallery/
(please give feedback) :D
New art and char concepts coming soon...

Carnaxus

#12 Post by Carnaxus »

Death-Bunny wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 pm This happened again, just now, but instead of an adobe flash update it was a "Urgent Chrome Update"

Scan of website
Scan of page
Scan of auto-downloaded file
Page's html
Click it to see the full-size image.

The best part is that this image came from my home computer, which I custom built in February 2016. So basically they’re trying to tell me that they’ve detected that the last time I updated Chrome was three months before the computer even existed.

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#13 Post by Turaiel »

We are aware of ongoing malicious redirect issues. Please do not bump posts that are nearly two years old.
Website Administrator