The Daily Beasts (open)

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: avwolf

Message
Author
User avatar
Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1096 Post by Phaing » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 am
"Hey!" she yelled, trying to get them to shut up and possibly get Raimius' or Sylvi's attention. "I need something to throw. If you want to trade, give me something else I can use as a throwing weapon. Something good."
She adds just one more line to her pitch. "What do you want more, these or your lives?"
Lief wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Finished with his scarf, he stands to and looks towards the others. "Is there a problem?" He asks them with curiosity in his tone.
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 am
Oh, it's nothing. They want these things and I have them. You're not going to join them are you?"
((OOC -I know this might not be as intended, but I think it's cute for these two to mix it up a little.))

"Gold!" one of the fellow prisoners whispers
"I told you so-" another one gets nudged.

The best throwing stuff they have to offer are shivs like I mentioned, and one fellow made a pair of 4-sided throwing stars by binding a couple of spikes in and X shape.

Most important, I need to know where the two of you will be in the battle. You can't be on the stairs unless you are part of the formation Sylvi has set up. You could be on the catwalk... or if you are really sneaky, you could get on the ground floor before anyone can stop you.
The Rookie wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm
Due to the tight nature of the stairwell, the formation is only capable of fitting four men abreast. The first row consist of four prisoners, preferably the shorter stockier kind. Their job is to stab upwards, into the underbellies, throats and joints of the legs; while the next row will see three of the biggest strongest men shoving downward into the neck, collars and chest. Sylvi will also be in this second row. ...
So basically, a phalanx.
The men learned about this in basic training. It won't be any big trick, but the question is where exactly you want them to be when the doors are opened.
The Rookie wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm
Sylvi’s tone takes a notable shift, and she look to Raimius with a mixture of concern and sorrow as she draws out a single lone figure that she marks with an R.

Raimius will be at the very rear of the pack, and serve no actual part of the fighting. Should he object “You know I’d trust you with my life, but I cannot afford the risk of a spell misfiring here due to your... You know.... So I need you to stay behind... Ok?”
"Actually, I had something else in mind." He points to the far end of the catwalk, above where the Birds will have to pass to get at you on the stairs. The largest things left, some iron bedframes that are still intact, are being dragged over there by a couple of them men left over. "Dropping those on the Birds ought to slow them down. Once you and your little army are on the ground floor, we'll race in behind you." He looks to Rita. "And I do mean WE."
He is tying a leash to her belt, and tying the other end to his own.
"Awww man...."

Lief wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 pm

James returns her smile with all the warmth he can muster- Which isn't much, considering the environment, but it's more than last night and it's still a genuine reaction. "Thanks for bringing it back," he says as he ties the scarf around his neck again. "Wouldn't feel right to go into battle without it. Sleep well?"
"I coulda stood a watch." Rita grumbles. "Is this gonna take long?"


A couple of the quicker and smaller men dash over to open the doors for you, ropes are dangling from the catwalks for them to be pulled up out of there with... however-
ka-Bash!
- they weren't even done unbarring the doors when one of the Terror Birds kicks the doors right in and halfway off the hinges. It must have been waiting right there at the door, listening.
One of the men is flattened by a door, and the other in knocked down, skidding ten feet. Before he can get back on his feet, he is bitten in half by the first Bird. The next two go racing past him and charge the stairs at a dead run... heads low and hissing like a samovar ready to explode.
And there are more behind them...


Okay, here we go. I will want to post again on Wednesday ... barring any need to take me frakking PC to the shop again!
I hope to hear from you all in the next 5 days, alright?
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1097 Post by The Rookie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 am

Phaing post wrote:"Actually, I had something else in mind." He points to the far end of the catwalk, above where the Birds will have to pass to get at you on the stairs. The largest things left, some iron bedframes that are still intact, are being dragged over there by a couple of them men left over. "Dropping those on the Birds ought to slow them down. Once you and your little army are on the ground floor, we'll race in behind you." He looks to Rita. "And I do mean WE."
He is tying a leash to her belt, and tying the other end to his own.
"Awww man...."
Sylvi ponders the idea; again, she’s flicking her hands about as she plays the scenario in her head. Though she initially seems to support this plan, her mannerisms and constant backtracking would seem there was a significant issue.

“The bed frames would get in the way... But they might.. No, we can’t allow for the risk...”, Sylvi mutters frustrated at herself for not coming up with a better use for them. “The bed frames should be a last resort to cover our retreat. If we toss them down during the fighting our front line would have to cross over the top or around them during our advance, leaving large exposed gaps... Like... Like... A large stone in a river? Yes! We’d be the water trying to push past, and by doing so, we’d break the formation; and the formation is key.”

DarkTheImmortal wrote:"Hey!" she yelled, trying to get them to shut up and possibly get Raimius' or Sylvi's attention. "I need something to throw. If you want to trade, give me something else I can use as a throwing weapon. Something good."
She adds just one more line to her pitch. "What do you want more, these or your lives?"
Lief wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:54 pm
Finished with his scarf, he stands to and looks towards the others. "Is there a problem?" He asks them with curiosity in his tone.
"Oh, it's nothing. They want these things and I have them. You're not going to join them are you?"
Sylvi slowly rises from her squatting position on the ground once she hears the commotion happening across the room. Raimius would recognise this expression as ‘Mamma Sylvi’; and as she slowly gropes for one of her mana stones on her bandolier, her intentions are quite obvious.

Sylvi catches Raimius’s eye, and gestures a brow in Ana’s direction with a slight head tilt. “<Is she ok?>”.








((Ok, jumping straight to the battle prep.))

Sylvi organizes the men into their positions, explaining their individual roles to play in vivid detail.

She calls for two volunteers to open the barrier, instructing them wait for her signal and then to rush back as soon as the way is clear.

Now for the bait...

Sylvi is stood by the window they had entered through the night before, peering outward with what limited visibility the opening provided. She takes three long drawn out breaths, and on the third she lets out a deafening bone chilling howl into the morning air, echoing for miles around.
Though it’s primitive by even Keidran standards, she’s confident that even these bestial monsters would recognize it as a challenge.
She’s quick to rush down the stairs, shouting for the runners to open the doors. Though even she didn’t anticipate how quickly the raptors would arrive; much to the misfortune of the men.
Phaing wrote: A couple of the quicker and smaller men dash over to open the doors for you, ropes are dangling from the catwalks for them to be pulled up out of there with... however-
ka-Bash!
- they weren't even done unbarring the doors when one of the Terror Birds kicks the doors right in and halfway off the hinges. It must have been waiting right there at the door, listening.
One of the men is flattened by a door, and the other in knocked down, skidding ten feet. Before he can get back on his feet, he is bitten in half by the first Bird. The next two go racing past him and charge the stairs at a dead run... heads low and hissing like a samovar ready to explode.
And there are more behind them...
Sickened to the core by the loss of the runners in such a graphic display, Sylvi takes up her weapon and prepares to brace for the first of the demon birds. Crying for the men to hold their position, and waiting for the right time to spring her trap and seel the exit. “Just a few more birds! Just a few more!!”
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
No hugs, I asplode.
Posts: 3858
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 am
Location: Somewhere, I'm sure.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1098 Post by Lief » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:56 am
"Oh, it's nothing. They want these things and I have them. You're not going to join them are you?"
Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
"Gold!" one of the fellow prisoners whispers
"I told you so-" another one gets nudged.
James tilts his head, looking between the fox and the prisoners. "Gold? What use is it if we don't make it out of this?" He shakes his head. "If her aim is true, those coins probably have enough heft to ring a bird's bell. Which could be the difference between life and death for some of you."

Noting the disposition of the she-wolf, he waves a hand downward in hopes of dissuading her from taking any action. James could handle things. Although he hadn't exactly earned much trust yet...
Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
"I coulda stood a watch." Rita grumbles. "Is this gonna take long?"
"I'm sure you could have. A night's rest serves better, though." James flashes her a reassuring smile. "With some luck, we'll be out of here before you know it."



Considering the battle plans as they'd been laid out, James opted to stick towards the back to help out where he could there. He wasn't averse to the front lines, but there were just enough gaps in the planning for plenty of things to go wrong- Especially against an enemy that fought on instinct rather than logic- That being away from the front would hopefully let him step in and help anywhere that needed it fast. (Although he'd probably step in for the phalanx if there aren't enough volunteers.)
Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
A couple of the quicker and smaller men dash over to open the doors for you, ropes are dangling from the catwalks for them to be pulled up out of there with... however-
ka-Bash!
- they weren't even done unbarring the doors when one of the Terror Birds kicks the doors right in and halfway off the hinges. It must have been waiting right there at the door, listening.
One of the men is flattened by a door, and the other in knocked down, skidding ten feet. Before he can get back on his feet, he is bitten in half by the first Bird. The next two go racing past him and charge the stairs at a dead run... heads low and hissing like a samovar ready to explode.
And there are more behind them...
Scheiße.
Image
Image
Don't ask, its better that way.

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1099 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 pm

Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
"Gold!" one of the fellow prisoners whispers
"I told you so-" another one gets nudged.

The best throwing stuff they have to offer are shivs like I mentioned, and one fellow made a pair of 4-sided throwing stars by binding a couple of spikes in and X shape.
Lief wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am
James tilts his head, looking between the fox and the prisoners. "Gold? What use is it if we don't make it out of this?" He shakes his head. "If her aim is true, those coins probably have enough heft to ring a bird's bell. Which could be the difference between life and death for some of you."
"Thank you." She said to James for agreeing with her. Then addressing everyone else, "If everything goes right, maybe we'll be able to pick them up after anyways. But right now, similar to what he (James) said, we need everything we can to increase our odds of survival."
She dismisses the offers for the shivs and stars. "No, I need something bunt. If I don't hit them with the pointed end the throw was useless."
Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
Most important, I need to know where the two of you will be in the battle. You can't be on the stairs unless you are part of the formation Sylvi has set up. You could be on the catwalk... or if you are really sneaky, you could get on the ground floor before anyone can stop you.
Anaraia is on the catwalk. As close to the stairs as she can get that will leave the men enough room for the formation. She wants to be close to keep as much power and accuracy in the throws as possible and still not be in the way.
Phaing wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:01 am
A couple of the quicker and smaller men dash over to open the doors for you, ropes are dangling from the catwalks for them to be pulled up out of there with... however-
ka-Bash!
- they weren't even done unbarring the doors when one of the Terror Birds kicks the doors right in and halfway off the hinges. It must have been waiting right there at the door, listening.
One of the men is flattened by a door, and the other in knocked down, skidding ten feet. Before he can get back on his feet, he is bitten in half by the first Bird. The next two go racing past him and charge the stairs at a dead run... heads low and hissing like a samovar ready to explode.
And there are more behind them...
She watched in terror as the men who opened the door inevitably died. After a short moment she realized this wasn't the time to freeze up and started to do what she was planning to do. She picked up a handful of coins and started flicking them towards the birds' bodies once they make it to the stairs. However, she takes a littler longer than one in this situation would like to aim.

(Reminder, since I forgot as well, Ana has absolutely no ranged combat training. Tossing something and skipping stones she has, but never anything in a combat situation. Thought it'd be important for rolls and stuff.)

User avatar
Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1100 Post by Phaing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:24 am

The Rookie wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 am

“The bed frames would get in the way... But they might.. No, we can’t allow for the risk...”, Sylvi mutters frustrated at herself for not coming up with a better use for them. “The bed frames should be a last resort to cover our retreat. If we toss them down during the fighting our front line would have to cross over the top or around them during our advance, leaving large exposed gaps... Like... Like... A large stone in a river? Yes! We’d be the water trying to push past, and by doing so, we’d break the formation; and the formation is key.”
"Your right about that... can't let the shield-wall fail..."
And Raimius feels about as useless as he ever has in his life.
The Rookie wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 am
Sylvi catches Raimius’s eye, and gestures a brow in Ana’s direction with a slight head tilt. “<Is she ok?>”.
Oh right! Not so useless after all.
"Don't you worry about either of them! I mean it, don't give them a thought. I can stay out of your way and keep the both of them out of trouble at the same time. You focus on using your spells and keeping your little army together."
The Rookie wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:13 am
Sylvi takes up her weapon and prepares to brace for the first of the demon birds. Crying for the men to hold their position, and waiting for the right time to spring her trap and seel the exit. “Just a few more birds! Just a few more!!”
The first couple of them pause for a snack, but there are more. Seven in total that you can see, and one group of three isn't even looking at the meat on the floor. Yes, its the big female that you met before, the acrobatic one, flanked by a pair of males with those little black crests. They all step up, but they hesitate, seeing prey that does not run away. There is no fear in those flat, cruel eyes, but there is some thought going on there. They glance back and forth, as if dimly aware of something... "this might be dangerous", or something like that.

Lief wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am
"I'm sure you could have. A night's rest serves better, though." James flashes her a reassuring smile. "With some luck, we'll be out of here before you know it."
Rita smiles. "I hope so! Its not the cold that I mind, its all the sitting around! I get the feeling that if we don't get out of here soon, maybe we never will." In a lower voice, she adds; "How well do you know your friends here? Some of them are giving me strange looks."
She means Clint, of course, who is in here for pocketing the salaries of men who were killed in action, and not sending any notice to the next of kin.
Lief wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:49 am
Considering the battle plans as they'd been laid out, James opted to stick towards the back to help out where he could there. He wasn't averse to the front lines, but there were just enough gaps in the planning for plenty of things to go wrong- Especially against an enemy that fought on instinct rather than logic- That being away from the front would hopefully let him step in and help anywhere that needed it fast. (Although he'd probably step in for the phalanx if there aren't enough volunteers.)
Oh, okay.

There are three men that can't be fit neatly into the 4 x 4 formation, and you are one of them, apparently. If the phalanx moves beyond the stairs, you will have to be the guys that keep the odd Bird from sneaking in behind them... or up the stairs.

Raimius has to go to the far end of the catwalk, above the entry-end of the building to be far enough away to make sure that he's not a problem for the spell-caster. He's not happy with that, but he does find a way to be useful; one of the birds gnawing on a dead man is right below him. He can't use a bow in here, nobody can, the range is too short and there is too great a chance of a ricochet hitting a friend. However...
What the hell, he just whips it out and pees on the Bird's head.
Animals don't react well to that sort of thing, this one bellows in rage and jumps, nearly knocking it's own brains out on the iron supports for the catwalk. The beastly thing is shaking its head when a lesser spray starts coming down on it.
Raimius turns to see Rita standing right next to him, skirts raised and Looking rather pleased with herself when the Bird screams twice as loud as it did before.

The other Birds are a little distracted by this....

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 pm
Anaraia is on the catwalk. As close to the stairs as she can get that will leave the men enough room for the formation. She wants to be close to keep as much power and accuracy in the throws as possible and still not be in the way.
The best place to be is off to one side, that way you can be close to the front rank when they are at the level of the 1st floor. That also gives you a side-shot at the Birds, who have a larger target area from that angle.
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:47 pm
She watched in terror as the men who opened the door inevitably died. After a short moment she realized this wasn't the time to freeze up and started to do what she was planning to do. She picked up a handful of coins and started flicking them towards the birds' bodies once they make it to the stairs. However, she takes a littler longer than one in this situation would like to aim.

(Reminder, since I forgot as well, Ana has absolutely no ranged combat training. Tossing something and skipping stones she has, but never anything in a combat situation. Thought it'd be important for rolls and stuff.)
(yeah, I made a few rolls for you. Best hit was a hit on the side of the beak ... which makes that bird glance your way, and that was about all.)

Raimius, who is desperate to look at anything but Rita at this point {he'd actually have to deal with her if she saw him notice what she was doing, and there is a limit to even his courage} calls out to you. "Annaria, over here by me."
Once you arrive, he says; "You heard that howl, right? I need you to be our lookout. Get to the window over the front door and try to see what is going on our there."

At that end of the hall is a barred window, of course, but this one is also covered by a pane of glass that is covered with grime. There is something moving out there, but you can't tell exactly what it is.
(oh, the glass is only about 2 inches beyond the bars)


I hope that was worth the wait!
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Master
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1101 Post by Phaing » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:55 am

Oh, and just in case anyone forgot what these Terror-Birds are like-


Image

And to think, I could have gone with an even nastier breed. :twisted:
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1332
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1102 Post by The Rookie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:15 am

Phaing wrote: "Don't you worry about either of them! I mean it, don't give them a thought. I can stay out of your way and keep the both of them out of trouble at the same time. You focus on using your spells and keeping your little army together."
Sylvi gives Raimius a short relieved nod as she kneels back down along her stone sketching. “Make sure you come by before we... Well... Before things start, ya know?” she says while picking up her etching stone; doodling a pair of exaggerated ‘strong man’ muscles on one of her stick figures.

She looks up, giving him a flash of a nervous smile. “Go on. Go be the hero.” There’s a slight chuckle, but she’s soon back at work; writing out things like ‘Lure’ and ‘Howl?’ into the stone floor.
Phaing wrote: The first couple of them pause for a snack, but there are more. Seven in total that you can see, and one group of three isn't even looking at the meat on the floor. Yes, its the big female that you met before, the acrobatic one, flanked by a pair of males with those little black crests. They all step up, but they hesitate, seeing prey that does not run away. There is no fear in those flat, cruel eyes, but there is some thought going on there. They glance back and forth, as if dimly aware of something... "this might be dangerous", or something like that.
Sylvi stares intently as each beast pours into the room, trying to recount in her mind how many she’d seen prior but failing to come to a precise number. Uncertain that this is all of them, she hesitates to spring the trap just yet.

That is until she sees the larger female...

As the large female enters, Sylvi begins to panic slightly, noting how it seemed just a bit sharper than the rest, and possibly sharp enough to recognise the risk the militia might pose... “Clever girl...”

With the risk of the trio retreating out weighing the possibility of trapping more of these raptors, Sylvi enacts the spell to seal the entryway in ice, several meters thick and as tough as iron. “Prepare yourselves!” She bellows “There’s nowhere for them to run now! Spears up!”
Phaing wrote: What the hell, he just whips it out and pees on the Bird's head.
”By the Mask...” Sylvi grumbles in disgust. There will be words about this later... Many many words...
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests