The Daily Beasts (open)

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: avwolf

Message
Author
User avatar
Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1066 Post by Phaing » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 am

The Rookie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm
Sylvi gives Rita a short unimpressed glare before shifting her gaze at Raimius. "Somehow that was your doing..."
"Naturally. These "formative years" are a terrible thing to waste, don't you think?"

(what, you think he'd back down? :twisted: )
The Rookie wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:46 pm
Sylvi shrugs; Pyrokinectics isn't exactly within her realm of knowledge. The matter of maintaining a flame would almost fall entirely on the two girls.
"But... you can do illusions, and deal damage from a distance, I have seen you doing that."

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:44 am
"Well, if you've been lighting firewood to keep warm, we have the light and those shouldn't be too hard to carry." She paused for a moment to think of ways to bring everything else. "Is there anything we can put together to make a makeshift wagon or sled? Maybe the thing holding the wood?" She did not, or even thought she would, think this far ahead and it is showing. "Also I will need something to light this lamp."
And that sets off another go-round among the men.

"We can't make a wagon! No wheelwrights, its more complicated than you think."

"What's a sled?"

The Kitteridge men slap palms to faces, "don't tell me..."

As it turns out, southern men don't know much about sleds and such things were concealed from them here in case it could be used for an escape. And yes, the Kitteridge men totally forgot about all that... "Hey Bruce, isn't it mostly down-hill from here to the Lake?"

"Oh hell, don't remind me! My [censored] is still hurtin' whenever I think about it. Hey, why are you smiling like that?"

One of the younger men is named Wingo. he hands Annaria a taper that is burning at one end like a candle. "There you go, are you from Kitt too?"

Rita giggles. "They don't know what a sled is?"

Raimius bips her. "Lots of people don't! And I still don't see why you are all excited about them. Don't you need a horse to pull one?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1067 Post by The Rookie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am

Phaing wrote:(what, you think he'd back down? :twisted: )
(Well, yeah... Kind of.. :potatoes: )
Phaing wrote:"Naturally. These "formative years" are a terrible thing to waste, don't you think?"
There's an icy cold flash of irritation, and Ramimius finds himself with an index finger pressing into his breast bone. Sylvi looks as if she's about to lay down the law, but struggles to find any words. There's a few "Umms" and "Arhs" but nothing of note for several seconds. When the 45 second mark rolls around, Sylvi is visibly flustered at both Raimius and herself. You could swear you'd see faint patches of redish pink through a small gaps in her fur.

Attempting to save face, Sylv retracts her hand, straightens her back, and assumes the posture and mannerisms more fitting of a baroness or countess. "<We will discuss this later...>"
Phaing wrote:"But... you can do illusions, and deal damage from a distance, I have seen you doing that."
She frowns. Shaking her head slightly "Illusions? I've never dabbled in illusions..." Seems like you struck a nerve here. Apparently not all schools of magic are equal in the eyes of the wizarding community. At least not in the more shamanistic North, where needlessly flashy behaviour is generally frowned upon for being pointless and impractical.

"Illusions are parlour tricks for entertainment... What I do is bend the physical world around me using the elements and my extensive knowledge in both magical and non magical sciences.

Ever seen a street preformer preform brain surgery with flashing lights and dancing shadows? No!"

She closes her eyes, gives a staggered huff as she attempts to cool herself down. "But yes... I can cast physical spells at range." she throws one hand out, her eyes still closed, and her head still pointed downward. She then begins to count everything else she can do upon each finger in a very matter of fact and deliberate tone, as if driving home a point. "As well as creating various physical barriers, make shift ice based weapons, and if need be, I can act as a field surgeon, apothecary and general healer..."

Phaing wrote:Raimius bips her. "Lots of people don't! And I still don't see why you are all excited about them. Don't you need a horse to pull one?"
Sylvi joins the Northerners in their collective face palms. "Oh, my sweet Summer child..."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1068 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 am

Phaing wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 am
One of the younger men is named Wingo. he hands Annaria a taper that is burning at one end like a candle. "There you go, are you from Kitt too?"
She takes the taper. She looks it over as she answers his question in a casual tone. "No, I'm from the ridge tribe." After judging the obvious, that it was good enough to light the lamp, she looked at him and then to all the other men. "It's a long story why I'm traveling this far north, so before anyone asks, I don't want to go into it at the moment." She sounded annoyed as if someone had already asked.
Phaing wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:59 am
Raimius bips her. "Lots of people don't! And I still don't see why you are all excited about them. Don't you need a horse to pull one?"
"Well, back home we would use them to carry supplies around through the mud if it had rained. If you say they're usually pulled by horses I guess the ones I'm used to are smaller as it took one to three people to pull it depending on what's on it. And that's what I was thinking, pull the wood behind us."

User avatar
Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1069 Post by Phaing » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm

The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am
Attempting to save face, Sylv retracts her hand, straightens her back, and assumes the posture and mannerisms more fitting of a baroness or countess. "<We will discuss this later...>"
Raimius is looking at her with some real concern, that silence and confusion was more effective than any rant. But before he can say anything, some guy at the back of the crowd lets out a low whistle. "Holy crap, they weren't kidding, going at it like some old married couple."
There are some snickers, but one guy goes "eww" by reflex, and then beats a hasty retreat when Raimius glares at him.
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am
She closes her eyes, gives a staggered huff as she attempts to cool herself down. "But yes... I can cast physical spells at range." she throws one hand out, her eyes still closed, and her head still pointed downward. She then begins to count everything else she can do upon each finger in a very matter of fact and deliberate tone, as if driving home a point. "As well as creating various physical barriers, make shift ice based weapons, and if need be, I can act as a field surgeon, apothecary and general healer..."
Closing her eyes was a handy move, it gives Raimius a chance to wave his hand overhead and point to Sylvi while she is speaking, a listen to this sort of gesture. When she is done he says "You all heard that, right? At all costs, you protect the Mage who also happens to be our Healer!"

"You don't have to tell us twice. I'll build her a toboggan with a throne if that helps!" And two men leave to start working on it.
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:16 am
Sylvi joins the Northerners in their collective face palms. "Oh, my sweet Summer child..."
"Hey, come on, and... what's a toboggan?"

DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 am
She sounded annoyed as if someone had already asked.
She may as well get used to it, there are always at least a dozen men hanging around, looking at them and asking questions... and some are wandering off to take care of something while new faces keep popping up. Lots of them look at Annaria, often, and in a friendly way.
Like it or not, she is the most attractive unattached female for miles around...
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:48 am
"Well, back home we would use them to carry supplies around through the mud if it had rained. If you say they're usually pulled by horses I guess the ones I'm used to are smaller as it took one to three people to pull it depending on what's on it. And that's what I was thinking, pull the wood behind us."
Clint is back, and he is nodding at Annaria while giving Raimius an incredulous look. "Right, we can pull it around the compound, but to escape we need speed. that's why going downhill matter! We make some that are light enough to glide over the snow and-"

"Oh hell!" Raimius is laughing now. "That is what you are going on about? The lake must be a dozen miles from here."

"Closer to nine, actually. And if we make things that are light enough to float over snow, then if we can also glide over weak patches of ice. If the Birds haven't given up by then... splash!"

Raimius nods, impressed, but he's not liking this Clint fellow very much. Something about him seems a bit ... off. "Let me guess, you are one of the actual criminals in this place, ain't ya?"
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1070 Post by The Rookie » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am

Phaing wrote:Closing her eyes was a handy move, it gives Raimius a chance to wave his hand overhead and point to Sylvi while she is speaking, a listen to this sort of gesture. When she is done he says "You all heard that, right? At all costs, you protect the Mage who also happens to be our Healer!"
Sylv just pinches the bridge of her snout and lets out a long sigh. “Yes... Thank you, Raimius...”, her voice tired and unamused.

In her current state, she’s forgotten about ‘Rays’ cover name... Hopefully that won’t be an issue...
Phaing wrote:"You don't have to tell us twice. I'll build her a toboggan with a throne if that helps!" And two men leave to start working on it.
Sylvi begins waving her arms across her chest in a crossing motion. “No no, that won’t necessary, nor a good idea!...” Assuming they stop to listen, she continues to explain. “A heavy toboggan is a slow toboggan, and I’m much happier with my own mount, thank you.”
Phaing wrote:"Hey, come on, and... what's a toboggan?"
She thinks a moment. “Like... Umm... So imagine a wooden door shaped thing, but you kneel on top of it while heading down a slope. The snow acts differently to dirt, so instead of slowing down you just go faster and faster, like running down a hill, until you either come to long stretch of flat land or... Crash...” She then rolls her left wrist in a certain way that produces a harsh grinding/popping sound that indicates a prior injury. “<Usually you crash...>”
Phaing wrote:She may as well get used to it, there are always at least a dozen men hanging around, looking at them and asking questions... and some are wandering off to take care of something while new faces keep popping up. Lots of them look at Annaria, often, and in a friendly way.
Like it or not, she is the most attractive unattached female for miles around...
A pair of hands claps loudly. “Oi! You lot, over here. We’ve got work to do.”
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1071 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm

Phaing wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:17 pm
She may as well get used to it, there are always at least a dozen men hanging around, looking at them and asking questions... and some are wandering off to take care of something while new faces keep popping up. Lots of them look at Annaria, often, and in a friendly way.
Like it or not, she is the most attractive unattached female for miles around...
She sees them but doesn't pay them any mind. There's one thing about her that would probably turn most of them away...
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
A pair of hands claps loudly. “Oi! You lot, over here. We’ve got work to do.”
Seeing that Sylvi was giving the commands to the people looking at her she spoke up. "Don't worry about it. I'm still a child" She said that slightly loudly so they would hear. "So they probably don't want to do anything with me if they want to keep their morality."

It was kind of a stretch though, Her 8th birthday was less than a year away, and then she would be at the age most consider keidran as adults.
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
She thinks a moment. “Like... Umm... So imagine a wooden door shaped thing, but you kneel on top of it while heading down a slope. The snow acts differently to dirt, so instead of slowing down you just go faster and faster, like running down a hill, until you either come to long stretch of flat land or... Crash...” She then rolls her left wrist in a certain way that produces a harsh grinding/popping sound that indicates a prior injury. “<Usually you crash...>”
"Oh" Was her only reaction to what Sylvi said. She was noticably more nervous now after hearing the crashing part, as if killer birds weren't nerve wracking enough.
"Is there anything I can help with at the moment? I don't want to just stand here holding this while everyone is busy." She said, hoping work would calm her a bit.

User avatar
Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1072 Post by Phaing » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 am

The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
In her current state, she’s forgotten about ‘Rays’ cover name... Hopefully that won’t be an issue...
Only time will tell...
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
Sylvi begins waving her arms across her chest in a crossing motion. “No no, that won’t necessary, nor a good idea!...” Assuming they stop to listen, she continues to explain. “A heavy toboggan is a slow toboggan, and I’m much happier with my own mount, thank you.”
"What mount?" Raimius asks. He's done making jokes, she really seems determined to be dour no matter what he does.
If Sylvi means her horse;
"What, you mean that horse? The way it was running, it is probably halfway to the ocean by now... unless the birds caught it."
Eyewitnesses will tell you that it went out the building the same way the birds got on, and just kept right on going.
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm
Seeing that Sylvi was giving the commands to the people looking at her she spoke up. "Don't worry about it. I'm still a child" She said that slightly loudly so they would hear. "So they probably don't want to do anything with me if they want to keep their morality."
Raimius looks at her and silently repeats the word 'morality' with a disbelieving look. And then to the crowd in general, he says (just as loudly) "Alright, you heard her, NOT INTERESTED, so let's get to work on getting out of here. Who knows, maybe some of you convicts will turn out to be heroes, eh?"
He glanced at Annaria when he leaned on the word 'convicts', just to make sure she got that.

The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
A pair of hands claps loudly. “Oi! You lot, over here. We’ve got work to do.”
The ones that have not gotten to work already respond to Sylvi. In fact, some that are not from Ditteridge go to her for advice; how wide should a toboggan be, how large should they make the one for her?

Some also seem to be making shields, but BIG ones, that can be used by one man as a sled if need be. They might be useful to fend off the killer Birds, and are certainly better than nothing at all, but they are heavy. They are almost as big as doors, some are made from doors!
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 am
<usually, you crash.>
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm
"Oh" Was her only reaction to what Sylvi said. She was noticably more nervous now after hearing the crashing part, as if killer birds weren't nerve wracking enough.
"Is there anything I can help with at the moment? I don't want to just stand here holding this while everyone is busy." She said, hoping work would calm her a bit.
"Got anything we could use as tools?"
Industrious as they are now that they have a goal, the men are lacking good tools. It will take until the middle of the night before they are ready.
Yeah, that's a lot of hours of work, and they will be tired.

"Can you sew with leather, or know anything about ropes?"
A lot of things will have to be tied together.

"Can you climb?"
They will be pulling a lot of nails out of the building, but they can't pull all they need out of the lower part of the building, or it will fall on us.

Oh, and torches will have to be made, lots of them.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1073 Post by The Rookie » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am

Phaing wrote:"What mount?" Raimius asks. He's done making jokes, she really seems determined to be sour no matter what he does.
((It's been a particularly long and unpleasant day for her, so don't expect her mood to improve much. Well, not without indulging in her favorite clear liquid. :roll:))

Sylvi kind of stares blankly at Raimius as if he'd just asked what colour the sky was. "Sven..." Turning to address the small crowd, scratching at the back of her head, while her eyes drift toward the ceiling."He's umm... He's a magical reindeer..." She waits for any extreme or disbelieving reactions before continuing. "And... We sort of have this new unspoken mental link thing we're working on... So in theory, we should be as fast, if not faster than your sleds, more maneuverable, and might be able to do more to run interference for stragglers... In theory... <Entirely a theory...>"
Phaing wrote:
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:13 pm
Seeing that Sylvi was giving the commands to the people looking at her she spoke up. "Don't worry about it. I'm still a child" She said that slightly loudly so they would hear. "So they probably don't want to do anything with me if they want to keep their morality."
Raimius looks at her and silently repeats the word 'morality' with a disbelieving look. And then to the crowd in general, he says (just as loudly) "Alright, you heard her, NOT INTERESTED, so let's get to work on getting out of here. Who knows, maybe some of you convicts will turn out to be heroes, eh?"
He glanced at Annaria when he leaned on the word 'convicts', just to make sure she got that.
Sylvi echos Raimius' concern with a somber nod toward the young vixen. "<Some of these men haven't been with a woman in months... Others years... I want you and Rita to stay within sight of Raimius and I until we're clear of this place. Weapons close at all times.> She then flashes Ana a quick look at one of her many mana stones she has tucked away should she get separated from her spear. "<You can never be too careful.>"



Phaing wrote:The ones that have not gotten to work already respond to Sylvi. In fact, some that are not from Ditteridge go to her for advice; how wide should a toboggan be, how large should they make the one for her?
((I've never actually seen snow IRL, so bare with me.)) "Aim for a minimum of three to four people per toboggan, and we're after a tight narrow body; like an arrow." she makes a rough demonstration. "If we could make one each, then we'd be better off making personal skis, so try and get as many people crammed into each craft as possible."

Phaing wrote:Some also seem to be making shields, but BIG ones, that can be used by one man as a sled if need be. They might be useful to fend off the killer Birds, and are certainly better than nothing at all, but they are heavy. They are almost as big as doors, some are made from doors!
She ponders on the idea for shields, and whether they'd serve much good against beast capable of lifting horses. "No... They'd just be torn to splinters and slow us down... However... How many of you are familiar with phalanxes? Pike walls?"


((Just an alternative thought that came up. What if instead of an escape, could we trap and kill some/all the birds first?))


Phaing wrote:"Got anything we could use as tools?"
She shakes her head. "Nothing that will help."

Phaing wrote:"Can you climb?"
They will be pulling a lot of nails out of the building, but they can't pull all they need out of the lower part of the building, or it will fall on us.
"I... Might be able to help. Might..."
((Does the side of the building look like it'd be able to support simple scaffolding/foot and hand grips made of ice? She's not exactly an engineer, so they'd have to be very simple modifications.))
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1074 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm

Phaing wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 am
Raimius looks at her and silently repeats the word 'morality' with a disbelieving look. And then to the crowd in general, he says (just as loudly) "Alright, you heard her, NOT INTERESTED, so let's get to work on getting out of here. Who knows, maybe some of you convicts will turn out to be heroes, eh?"
He glanced at Annaria when he leaned on the word 'convicts', just to make sure she got that.
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
Sylvi echos Raimius' concern with a somber nod toward the young vixen. "<Some of these men haven't been with a woman in months... Others years... I want you and Rita to stay within sight of Raimius and I until we're clear of this place. Weapons close at all times.> She then flashes Ana a quick look at one of her many mana stones she has tucked away should she get separated from her spear. "<You can never be too careful.>"
She does notice Raimius' gesture, and when Sylvi speaks. "<Fine, but I was only trying to have at least gotten a couple to back off. Some is better than none.>" Trying to explain her position.
"<Even then if any of them try anything, I can just stab them. Or at least poke them with the blade. That'll get them to back off.>"
Phaing wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:34 am
"Got anything we could use as tools?"
Industrious as they are now that they have a goal, the men are lacking good tools. It will take until the middle of the night before they are ready.
Yeah, that's a lot of hours of work, and they will be tired.

"Can you sew with leather, or know anything about ropes?"
A lot of things will have to be tied together.

"Can you climb?"
They will be pulling a lot of nails out of the building, but they can't pull all they need out of the lower part of the building, or it will fall on us.

Oh, and torches will have to be made, lots of them.
"Well, no, I don't have tools, and I can't sew, but I can climb." She sets the lamp and the taper she was holding off to the side, making sure the burning end of the taper wasn't near anything flammable or wet, and starts stretching as if they have already told her to climb. Better to be safe than sorry.

User avatar
Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1075 Post by Phaing » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 am

The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
Sylvi kind of stares blankly at Raimius as if he'd just asked what colour the sky was. "Sven..

((forgive Raimius, that was MY brain-fart. Of course Sven will be helpful! Will be back taking you, or Rita and Annaria?))
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
((I've never actually seen snow IRL, so bare with me.)) "Aim for a minimum of three to four people per toboggan, and we're after a tight narrow body; like an arrow." she makes a rough demonstration. "If we could make one each, then we'd be better off making personal skis, so try and get as many people crammed into each craft as possible."
(very good for a non-snow person! But... )
"The more of us that are on one, the faster it will go... good idea!"
And... the harder they are to steer.
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
She ponders on the idea for shields, and whether they'd serve much good against beast capable of lifting horses. "No... They'd just be torn to splinters and slow us down... However... How many of you are familiar with phalanxes? Pike walls?"
They give Sylvi an odd look, and before Raimius can stop them, one asks; "How do YOU know about that stuff?"
Rita rolls her eyes. "Even I know about that!"

But, to fight like that, they would have to stand their ground, instead of run for it.
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
((Just an alternative thought that came up. What if instead of an escape, could we trap and kill some/all the birds first?))
((off the top of my head, I think you could get lynched for that. Remember, these are prisoners, and they wanted to get out of here before the Birds even showed up! ))

[
The Rookie wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am
]"I... Might be able to help. Might..."
Time for another cute moment;
"Actually, we were talking to her." Meaning, Rita. She is light and nimble enough to climb the insides of the walls and pull stuff out of them at the same time.



DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
She does notice Raimius' gesture, and when Sylvi speaks. "<Fine, but I was only trying to have at least gotten a couple to back off. Some is better than none.>" Trying to explain her position.
"<Even then if any of them try anything, I can just stab them. Or at least poke them with the blade. That'll get them to back off.>"
"No!" Raimius panics a little, and then goes on; <"All of these men are trained to fight, and to kill. If you get into any trouble you sing out, call for us, but don't you dare pull a weapon on them unless you have no other choice, please?">
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
"Well, no, I don't have tools, and I can't sew, but I can climb." She sets the lamp and the taper she was holding off to the side, making sure the burning end of the taper wasn't near anything flammable or wet, and starts stretching as if they have already told her to climb. Better to be safe than sorry.
That will work, she can help Rita.

And there is a lot of struggle and splinters and men cussing... but it all gets done.
In fact, it is just after Midnight when they are done and everything seems reasonably ready to go. And yes, everyone is pretty tired.

So, the question is, go ahead and press on, make your break now, or give everyone a rest and try later tonight or tomorrow night?
((I know I asked before, but I want to make this the player's choice. Assume everyone is deadlocked and the girls need to break the tie))
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1076 Post by The Rookie » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am

Phaing wrote:((Sven will be helpful! Will be back taking you, or Rita and Annaria?))
((Sylvi. This way she can move between the left and right flanks with relative ease, providing support where it's needed. If I did my research right, Sven should be equal to or faster than the toboggans... Should...))
Phaing wrote:They give Sylvi an odd look, and before Raimius can stop them, one asks; "How do YOU know about that stuff?"
Rita rolls her eyes. "Even I know about that!"
Spoiler!
Sylvi waves away the presumably Southerner's question, before pointing at one of her confirmed Ditterigian kinsmen. "Same way I'm sure many of you do." she beckons the Ditteridge prisoner to step forward and speak. "How did Ditteridge become a joint settlement between Keidran and humans?" given her confidence, you'd almost assume this was a rhetorical question, if not for the uncomfortable pause she lets pass while waiting for the man to answer.

((If I may be so bold))

As their eyes fall on the scruffy looking ginger boy, barely a man, who stifles his response. "T-The war?" he clears his throat, and repeats himself with more vigour. "The first Great war."

Sylvi grins. "Indeed. How?"

All eyes fall on the prisoner again. "Th- Urgh... The Snow wolves sent an army to raise the town; taking them by surprise, but... There was this snow storm, the worst ever recorded. They were lost out there, and when they blindly stumbled across the settlement, we... The humans, offered them shelter. It was over a year before the snow melted away..."

Sylvi cuts in, driving home her point. "Exactly. The wolves came prepared to fight humans, and humans had cavalry. Now thankfully, most of the army's supplies, including their pikes, were used in the construction of 'Hir Gaeaf hall', in order to house the many soldiers; but the tradition stuck amongst their descendants, and the spear became the weapon of choice in the local militia." She twirls her spear, showing off of the weapon and the level of control she wields. "Who do you think taught me how to use this?"
TLDR; Snow wolves used spears against human cavalry. :roll:
Phaing wrote:((off the top of my head, I think you could get lynched for that. Remember, these are prisoners, and they wanted to get out of here before the Birds even showed up! ))
Assuming there's a less than warm reaction to Syliv's proposal, she implores they listen first. "I know we want to get out of here as soon as we can, but listen. Those birds are out there, and if we make a run for it, chances are as many as half of us, or more, could be dead before we even get to the slopes; and there's no telling if these things can out run us in a toboggan. I saw one lift up a horse and drag it though a window... A Mask damned horse! They'd have no trouble knocking your toboggan aside, forcing you to stall on the hills and left at their mercy." she breaks for a moment, letting the men talk amongst themselves before continuing.

"What I am proposing, is that we trap and kill as many of these things as we can in one fell swoop; before rushing out into the open. Removing the threat, or at least crippling it enough that we can all make it through this alive." She again waits for the rest of the room to speak.

"Now, I have a plan, but I need everyone to pull together in order for it to work." she get down on her knees, picking up a large rock which she uses to scratch out her blue prints into the stone floor. "We can lure them into the stairwell, pulling in as many as we can before I seal their exit shut with a reinforced ice wall here." she crosses a line through was appears like the entry point/door to the tower. "Once they're trapped, your men push down the stairs with a wall of pikes. You push as one, strike as one, and with no where to retreat to, and no way around you, we might be able to kill every last one of these monsters without losing anyone else."

She looks up to those crowded around her, hoping at least one of the ring leaders approved. "Or we can roll the dice, and maybe a third of us make it out of here."
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm
"<Even then if any of them try anything, I can just stab them. Or at least poke them with the blade. That'll get them to back off.>"
There's a small wink from Sylvi, whom mouths the words "That a girl." in contrast to Raimius's panicked reaction
Phaing wrote:"Actually, we were talking to her."
*Poof* Ego destroyed. "Y-Yeah... I knew that... Just sayin', ya know... If you wanted to try something else..."
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
Overlord of Space & Time
Posts: 1461
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:32 am
Location: Somewhere between life, death, and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1077 Post by DarkTheImmortal » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:33 am

(Back for a bit, still busy but I wanted to get something in. My last day is on the 10th so I should be back to "full" activity then)
Phaing wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 am
"No!" Raimius panics a little, and then goes on; <"All of these men are trained to fight, and to kill. If you get into any trouble you sing out, call for us, but don't you dare pull a weapon on them unless you have no other choice, please?">
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am
There's a small wink from Sylvi, whom mouths the words "That a girl." in contrast to Raimius's panicked reaction
She looks at both Raimius' and Sylvi's reactions, noticing the wide differences. Seeing Raimius' expression and worry was more impactful
"<fine>" she said in a defeated tone to Raimius. "<I'll make sure to call for help if I need it.>" And she means it.
The Rookie wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am
Assuming there's a less than warm reaction to Syliv's proposal, she implores they listen first. "I know we want to get out of here as soon as we can, but listen. Those birds are out there, and if we make a run for it, chances are as many as half of us, or more, could be dead before we even get to the slopes; and there's no telling if these things can out run us in a toboggan. I saw one lift up a horse and drag it though a window... A Mask damned horse! They'd have no trouble knocking your toboggan aside, forcing you to stall on the hills and left at their mercy." she breaks for a moment, letting the men talk amongst themselves before continuing.

"What I am proposing, is that we trap and kill as many of these things as we can in one fell swoop; before rushing out into the open. Removing the threat, or at least crippling it enough that we can all make it through this alive." She again waits for the rest of the room to speak.

"Now, I have a plan, but I need everyone to pull together in order for it to work." she get down on her knees, picking up a large rock which she uses to scratch out her blue prints into the stone floor. "We can lure them into the stairwell, pulling in as many as we can before I seal their exit shut with a reinforced ice wall here." she crosses a line through was appears like the entry point/door to the tower. "Once they're trapped, your men push down the stairs with a wall of pikes. You push as one, strike as one, and with no where to retreat to, and no way around you, we might be able to kill every last one of these monsters without losing anyone else."

She looks up to those crowded around her, hoping at least one of the ring leaders approved. "Or we can roll the dice, and maybe a third of us make it out of here."
"I like the idea of living." She says, despite wanting to get out of there as soon as possible as well. "A few of us could stay up here and throw things down at them as well so they're being attacked from all sides. Preferably heavy things that will leave a mark. The fire idea would work better too; have them all in one immovable position. that is if we get all of them."
Phaing wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 am
In fact, it is just after Midnight when they are done and everything seems reasonably ready to go. And yes, everyone is pretty tired.
After all the work is finished, Anaraia is back with the fire supplies and is keeping somewhat close to the burning end of the taper but not too close, keeping it lit for warmth. She is still not enjoying the cold.
(since it's past midnight I'm assuming even if the convicts were keeping the place warm that it would be cold inside, open windows and all.)
Phaing wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:20 am
So, the question is, go ahead and press on, make your break now, or give everyone a rest and try later tonight or tomorrow night?
((I know I asked before, but I want to make this the player's choice. Assume everyone is deadlocked and the girls need to break the tie))
(Ana will want to wait, and even then don't want people rushing off to death without being rested.)

User avatar
Master
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:31 am

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1078 Post by Phaing » Thu May 03, 2018 5:43 am

The Rookie wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:52 am
"What I am proposing, is that we trap and kill as many of these things as we can in one fell swoop; before rushing out into the open. Removing the threat, or at least crippling it enough that we can all make it through this alive." She again waits for the rest of the room to speak.

"Now, I have a plan, but I need everyone to pull together in order for it to work." she get down on her knees, picking up a large rock which she uses to scratch out her blue prints into the stone floor. "We can lure them into the stairwell, pulling in as many as we can before I seal their exit shut with a reinforced ice wall here." she crosses a line through was appears like the entry point/door to the tower. "Once they're trapped, your men push down the stairs with a wall of pikes. You push as one, strike as one, and with no where to retreat to, and no way around you, we might be able to kill every last one of these monsters without losing anyone else."

She looks up to those crowded around her, hoping at least one of the ring leaders approved. "Or we can roll the dice, and maybe a third of us make it out of here."
Up until now, one in three odds of survival had been about the best these men thought they could hope for.
What Sylvi has come up with is a revelation to one and all... and makes Raimius beam with pride. (he also demonstrates a good depth of character by NOT interjecting anything at this point, this is her show and not his)

"Um... ma'am?" One fellow you have not heard from before has a question. "That sounds great and all... and maybe I'm too tired to think straight, but.... when we lure them in here, why don't we just set the place on fire? We could all drop out the windows. Not sure how to close the door on them before they start trying to get out, but I am sure we could rig something up."

There is another issue;
"Where do we go? I mean, you are talking about just bolting out of here, but what about the stuff?"

Basically, a lot of these men (NOT all!) want to get some things out of the store-houses, and not all of it may be directly related to the business of survival. There own personal possessions are kept locked up here too.
And all of that is in the opposite direction of the easy path out of here, the one that leads to the Lakes.
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:33 am
After all the work is finished, Anaraia is back with the fire supplies and is keeping somewhat close to the burning end of the taper but not too close, keeping it lit for warmth. She is still not enjoying the cold.
(since it's past midnight I'm assuming even if the convicts were keeping the place warm that it would be cold inside, open windows and all.)
Actually, these guys have already got all that worked out. Having been here for a while, they have fought the cold by keeping one corner of the building livable with a little cook stove and by sleeping in one big pile ... on and around a pile of hay. Yes, keep all your clothes on, and snuggle in. It works, just don't put your head near anyone's boots.
Oh, yeah... fleas. Well, that's just how it is, take the good with the bad and leave your pride at the door. This is survival, after all.

And no, nobody will get fresh, they are all too tired and will be until at least noon. At that point, all the food that is left is pooled and made into one good meal for everyone.
"The best place to store food is in your stomach, after all. And for some of us, this could be the last one... ever."

And once that is done, the hours slowly tick by, oh so slowly, until darkness falls...

(don't be in a hurry to post, we may have a new member ready to get into the act this week!)
DarkTheImmortal wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:33 am
(Ana will want to wait, and even then don't want people rushing off to death without being rested.)
Since you are both agreed on that, then a rest will be taken!
Good call. THey would not have been weaker, physically, but people tend to get stupid when they have gone without rest.

OOC; this is my mad-month, lots of overtime to pay for a lean summer, but I will be posting about once every other week... probably. I may be able to do better in May, but be ready for a dry spell just in case.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
Grand Templar
Posts: 1331
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:34 am
Location: Australia

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1079 Post by The Rookie » Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm

Phaing wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 5:43 am
Up until now, one in three odds of survival had been about the best these men thought they could hope for.
What Sylvi has come up with is a revelation to one and all... and makes Raimius beam with pride. (he also demonstrates a good depth of character by NOT interjecting anything at this point, this is her show and not his)
While Sylvi notices Raimius’ reluctance to get involved so she may get all her ideas out first, she does hope he’d jump in if anything she dreams up seems impractical, or outright impossible.
Phaing wrote: "Um... ma'am?" One fellow you have not heard from before has a question. "That sounds great and all... and maybe I'm too tired to think straight, but.... when we lure them in here, why don't we just set the place on fire? We could all drop out the windows. Not sure how to close the door on them before they start trying to get out, but I am sure we could rig something up."
Sylvi can be seen struggling to answer this lad’s question for a few moments, but not because she’s considering the inmate’s idea to be superior, but just trying to find the right words not to come off condescending.

“Umm... Right... So, there’s a few issues with that plan, no offence.” Sylvi says as politely as she can; while grabbing a short stick to use in her explanation. “Firstly; we’d all have to escape before luring the birds in, or while they’re inside with us. So that means we’d already be outside, where we’re all in danger of drawing attention to ourselves, or we’d be in here, with the fire and birds...” She looks around to see if everyone was following along, the lad whom spoke up in particular.


“Secondly, the wall at the entrance will be made of ice. Now, while it is thick magical ice, it will still weaken and melt once the fire starts. Having seen these things bend and break iron, I doubt they’d have trouble breaking through the ice and escaping.” again, she looks for nods and listens out for further questions.


“Thirdly, a fire would destroy everything. Now, that’s kind of what we want it to do, but hear me out. These birds are big, right? Lots of muscle, and there’s plenty of them.” She makes a gulping sound, knowing this suggestion will go one of two ways. “What we could do, if we stab them to death instead of burning them, is eat them...” She waits for any objections, but since these people are half starved at this point, she hopes the idea of a feast will tide them over. “No, the irony isn’t lost on me, but meat is meat. No sense letting it all go to waste.”

“Lastly; although this one is really up to chance. A large pillar of smoke will certainly draw attention from miles away; be it Templar, civilians or more wild beast. It’s not a gamble I’d be willing to take.”
Phaing wrote:There is another issue;
"Where do we go? I mean, you are talking about just bolting out of here, but what about the stuff?"
Sylvi honestly just stares blankly at this guy in bewilderment. “I’m sorry?”, not sure if there was something she missed. So far, everything she’d suggested and argued for was in this guy’s interest; at least she thought so.

“If we kill these things, then we’d be free to roam around the complex however we please. Scavenge anything and everything not nailed down, and then heading off whenever we felt like.” she begins tapping on the stone map with her stick, then drawing the line the group would have to take with the toboggan escape plans. “See, even if we do this like we first planned, that doesn’t leave any time for us to loot the surrounding buildings. We’d have to take the ground running, and not stop till Mask knows when just to survive.”
Phaing wrote: Actually, these guys have already got all that worked out. Having been here for a while, they have fought the cold by keeping one corner of the building livable with a little cook stove and by sleeping in one big pile ... on and around a pile of hay. Yes, keep all your clothes on, and snuggle in. It works, just don't put your head near anyone's boots.
Oh, yeah... fleas. Well, that's just how it is, take the good with the bad and leave your pride at the door. This is survival, after all.
And no, nobody will get fresh, they are all too tired and will be until at least noon.
”<Yeah... No thanks...>” Sylvi mumbles; shuttering at the sight of the sleeping arraignments. Not just because of the men, but the fleas...

Instead, Sylvi propositions that the girls go find their own corner to rest the night. Between their warm coats, a blanket, and keeping snuggled together; Sylvi and Ana should be able to generate enough heat between them to keep warm; and Rita would certainly be welcome between them.

Assuming Raimius stands guard the first half of the night, Sylvi will relieve him half way through, allowing him to get some kip as well.

((OOC: Don't worry, just post when you can. Me,I check this place maybe 3 times a day, so I'll usually have something up within a day, but don't let that pressure you guys. S:P ))
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Image
Image

User avatar
No hugs, I asplode.
Posts: 3857
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 5:37 am
Location: Somewhere, I'm sure.

Re: The Daily Beasts (open)

#1080 Post by Lief » Tue May 08, 2018 12:49 pm

((Hard to make an entrance right now but I did my best.))

James had kept mostly to himself throughout the meeting and exchange with the strange group, and again while building and collecting supplies throughout the day. He had some prior experience with sled building, although not to the extent that some of the Ditteridge men did. So he required few tips compared to some of the others.

At the end of the day, he sat at the edge of the slumber pile, close enough to get some warmth but not being part of it. James slept fitfully for several hours before jolting awake halfway through the night, shortly after Sylvi took over watch duties. Briefly considering what woke him, he opted to get up and join the she-wolf on watch rather than pointlessly attempt to get back to sleep.

James intentionally left his makeshift weapon back where he had been sleeping, and although not making much noise opted to step up in line with her outside of arm's reach.

"Pardon, ma'am." His voice was unnaturally rough, causing him to pause and clear his throat. When he continues his voice is much smoother. "The little one," he gestures towards Rita, "is she staying warm enough? It's not the warmest, but she can have my scarf if she needs it. Miraculously, it's clean and free of fleas."

After offering his scarf he goes quiet for a while, simply keeping an eye out.

"Thanks for this, by the way."
Image
Image
Don't ask, its better that way.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests