What happened to the promised update schedule?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

gappleto
Traveler

What happened to the promised update schedule?

#1 Post by gappleto »

In your Kickstarter campaign you promised a twice per week update schedule, but not only have you failed to meet that for quite some time, it also is contradicted in your FAQ. So I gotta say, what the heck?

I feel ripped off.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: What happened to the promised update schedule?

#2 Post by Bellhead »

gappleto wrote:In your Kickstarter campaign you promised a twice per week update schedule, but not only have you failed to meet that for quite some time, it also is contradicted in your FAQ. So I gotta say, what the heck?

I feel ripped off.
I for one do not appreciate this. Tom has worked very hard since then to produce high-quality comics as quickly as possible. He HAS updated more often than he did before, and quality has been improving quite a bit since then.

Tom is not perfect, neither am I, nor is anyone else. Give him a break. He's the best I've ever seen at what he does.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Arcaim

#3 Post by Arcaim »

I agree, Bellhead. I don't know if you contributed to the Kickstarter or not. Even if you did, you should know that promises can be hard to keep sometimes. The comic itself is a free service for all to enjoy. Like it or don't. I believe that there is an expression, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#4 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

gappleto wrote:In your Kickstarter campaign you promised a twice per week update schedule, but not only have you failed to meet that for quite some time, it also is contradicted in your FAQ. So I gotta say, what the heck?

I feel ripped off.
Perhaps if you were to be able to maintain a webcomic this good and stick to a schedule, you'd have room to talk. But do you?

Also, even if you did donate to the kickstarter, it was a donation. You were giving money to Tom to help in the progress of this comic. You weren't buying something. So please, don't act as if Tom owes you anything, because he most certainly does not.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Ketzal »

InceptionBwaaa wrote: Perhaps if you were to be able to maintain a webcomic this good and stick to a schedule, you'd have room to talk. But do you?

Also, even if you did donate to the kickstarter, it was a donation. You were giving money to Tom to help in the progress of this comic. You weren't buying something. So please, don't act as if Tom owes you anything, because he most certainly does not.
Just playing the devil's advocate here, but:

1. Why does he need to be making his own comic to voice complaints about a comic he follows? Hasn't really stopped other people.

2. If Tom puts down that he's going to have a regular update schedule if his kickstarter donation goals are met, then doesn't he technically owe the fans that schedule?

With that being said, I'm not in the bandwagon for complaining about it. For one, that was a while ago, and he never really said how long he was going to do the schedule for. For two, he's actually updating pretty frequently now, regular schedule or no.

So I don't really see the need to complain either if he's still updating frequently enough.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#6 Post by Schrodinger »

I'm with Fubar with one additional point: Welcome to venture capitalism where your investments are like betting on dog races except you're wagering not on which dogs get first place but which cross the finish line at all.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

obi-wan
Templar Master

#7 Post by obi-wan »

Arcaim wrote: you should know that promises can be hard to keep sometimes.
what I will say could sound some rude but this is what I think, the word is the most valuable that a man have so, if you can't keep your promises, better not promise nothing.
May the force be with you

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#8 Post by The Rookie »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that only promised for a few months while he had a bit of a back log ?
From memory he had a 2 comics a week schedule for a while at least.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

obi-wan
Templar Master

#9 Post by obi-wan »

The Rookie wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that only promised for a few months while he had a bit of a back log ?
From memory he had a 2 comics a week schedule for a while at least.
I do not remember that he has promised that only a few months
May the force be with you

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#10 Post by Schrodinger »

$100,000 REWARD: 2x / WEEK UPDATE SCHEDULE

Yup, you read that right. If we manage to cross over this line in the sand, Twokinds will officially adopt a two comic per week schedule starting at the end of August, once all the other rewards have first been safely delivered to backers. The new schedule will be Wednesdays and Saturdays, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.
"Foreseeable future." Okay I can understand why people would be upset by Tom being a human being and failing to live up to one of the many lofty promises he made during the kickstarter, but still "foreseeable future" does not mean "till the end of time." But really at the end of the day I'm left with one simple phrase rattling around in my skull about this particular subject.

What was it the spider said to the fly...

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#11 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Schrodinger wrote:

Yup, you read that right. If we manage to cross over this line in the sand, Twokinds will officially adopt a two comic per week schedule starting at the end of August, once all the other rewards have first been safely delivered to backers. The new schedule will be Wednesdays and Saturdays, and will remain that way for the foreseeable future.
"Foreseeable future." Okay I can understand why people would be upset by Tom being a human being and failing to live up to one of the many lofty promises he made during the kickstarter, but still "foreseeable future" does not mean "till the end of time." But really at the end of the day I'm left with one simple phrase rattling around in my skull about this particular subject.

Schrodinger, you always know just what picture/gif to post. Congratulations, you win.

Also, on the subject, you're quite right.

Let's just end all this complaining by saying that Jesus invented fried chicken Tom is human(as much as anyone wishes otherwise..), and he will absolutely fail sometimes. I mean, it's only natural to fail. But look at it this way, naysayers: Tom draws better because of it. And, to me, that water a few pages back and Flora stretching recently is aaaaaaaaall worth it.

Good night.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Shirtman
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#12 Post by Shirtman »

I wouldn't feel as annoyed at this not happening, if Tom wasn't spending so much time on daily sketches instead of updates.

I am terminally ill and after spending several months offline due to - thank God currently controlled - complications, I find the story has not made much progress in over half a year. I would have liked to see some of the major open plot issues resolved before my time runs out, but that seems most unlikely at the current pace.

I, and I suspect a lot of others, upgraded our initial pledges when this promise was posted. While I am thrilled to have received the books (and wish there were some more), I feel cheated by the frequency of updates and the slow progress of the story.

Just my two cents, YMMV.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#13 Post by Hayate »

Oh dear, I have no idea how you managed to find this 6 year old thread, but if you took the time to read it I think you'd have found an explanation. First off, this is 6 years old and no longer relevant. Second, as many pointed out here, Tom is human. Third, it is a free comic. All the sketches are free to view as well. I'm sorry about your situation, but I assure you that Tom is doing his best. The topic of update frequency has been beaten to death over the several years I have been here and I don't really see anything else constructive coming from this topic, so I'm locking it.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--