A World Asunder, Mission 1 Section 2: Bunker Busters

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

A World Asunder, Mission 1 Section 2: Bunker Busters

#1 Post by y7h65 »

With a groan, the APC finally stopped rolling as it managed to settle wheels down, against all odds. The suspension held up for a second before a loud crack reverberated throughout the vehicle andthe halftrack dropped about two feet as the suspension for the front wheels snapped from strain and the vehicle smashed into the dirt, nose first. Creaking and dripping filled the combat compartment as the vehicle finally settled, pneumatic and hydraulic fluid dripping from the ceiling from pumps damaged during the roll. A red light came on in the combat compartment, almost as if it was an afterthought, and a small warning asking the occupants to 'Please Strap In' in a soothing cold robotic feminine voice could be heard over the intercom of the vehicle.

With a hiss the back and passenger side door dropped down, dropping onto the open floor with a quiet thud. The driver side door, on the other hand, lowered by a crack before stopping. With a clicking noise the ring of flood lamps on the roof of the vehicle flickered on and illuminated the area around the vehicle, revealing the large maintenance tunnels that crisscrossed the bunker. On the driver side was the maintenance tunnel wall, the door leaning against the cold concrete. On the passenger side there was a massive hole in the wall, the edges of the entrance smoothly cut away. The tunnel itself was easily five meters wide and four meters tall with the entrance large enough to fit the APC in sideways.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," An amused male voice crackled in your ears, the ID tag on your HUD identifying it as the Commander of the vehicle. "It seems that through the efforts of Corporal Greyson, we've managed to arrive at our destination safe and sound! Please provide some applause for his masterful control of the vehicle."

The Commander paused, perhaps to give time for people to actually applaud or for another reason, before he continued. "Unfortunately while we're fine, the APC is a bit [censored] up. We'll be leaving it behind as the damage appears to be too extreme for us to fix in the field, putting aside the fact that we're currently in the middle of enemy territory. Of course we'll be coming along with you as sitting around here is suicide."

With that, the door between the crew and combat compartments slid open, revealing three lightly armored soldiers. Both the figure in the driver’s seat to the front left of the compartment and the commander’s seat in the center were men while the figure sitting in the gunners seat to the front right was a women. Unbuckling themselves from their seats, the Commander and Greyson pulled out small SMGs from beneath their seats before exiting the crew compartment and into the combat compartment. The Gunner, on the other hand, reached to her right and pulled a large railrifle from a mount next to her before filing out, Greyson and the Gunner falling in behind the Commander.

"We're a bit more lightly armored than the normal troops but that hopefully will be a benefit in the tunnels." Chuckling for a moment, the commander pointed at the Gunner behind him. " Anyways, the Gunner 's Sergeant Catherine Dubois" The gunner, Catherine, nodded at the rest of the Hunters at the mention of her name. "And I'm Sergeant Major Hans Weber. Greyson's first name is Gary so we call just all call him Greyson." At the mention of his name, Greyson, snapped off a crisp salute. "Anyways, we'll take up the center. Standard formation is still Hunters to our front and back, right?"

"Whether or not it is, it is still the one I like to use." Pulling her attention from the small tablet in her hands Christina stood to her full height before stepping out of the stricken armored vehicle, glancing left and right before jumping out with her spear, Pequod, in its compact state in hand. "Alright, it look appears that we have managed to enter our intended target. Temple and Forester" She paused as she pointed at the two scouts with her free left hand before motioning to her left with the tip of Pequod. "I need you two to move to the end of the tunnel, about sixty meters to our left, and confirm our current location. It should not take you two too long. According to the map, there should be a T-Junction with the code G-34 in the center of the intersection. If you make it to sixty without seeing anything, come back. While they do that, I need everyone else weapons ready and on the lookout. We got lights here but you never know with 'gangers. Relax but stay aware, got it?"

(OOC: Feel free to just do your jobs and chat for now.)
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

Re: A World Asunder, Mission 1 Section 2: Bunker Busters

#2 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Dabny nodded to Forester, running a bit inside and raising his left arm. With a quick clench of his fist, a grappling hook shot down the tunnel. He made a fist with his right hand to the other wall, and he zoomed down. When he got to about 30 meters in, he stopped by neutralizing his momentum, using his left hook to slow between the walls. He could hear something, just barely....

A small, 3-meter Doppelganger rose from a slouched position, the top of its head brushing the ceiling. Dabny pulled his scatter gun from his back and shot at the Doppelganger's face, blinding it. He used his maneuver gear to slash it right through the middle, his WRATH severing its life source. He landed with a thump, his ankle stinging. He got a ping from his HUD; he had almost sprained it. Luckily, the stinging began to recede.

Perhaps I should've waited for Forester, he thought.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Nikolai-097
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Nikolai-097 »

The crash, while jarring, hadn’t been nearly as bad as he had expected. As he exited the vehicle, he gave an appreciative nod to the driver before moving into position to cover the tunnel. He scanned the immediate area, looking for anything the scouts might have overlooked this close to the unplanned landing zone. With nothing jumping out at him, literally in this case, he shifted slightly to keep an eye on the rest of the squad, especially the senior officer. He hadn’t worked with her before, and hadn’t really had time to learn how she acted, what tactics she favored, nothing that would help him support the unit better without asking questions every few minutes.

He opened a private com-line to Kazane, "Onee-san, what do you think?"

Kazane follows her brother from the vehicle, heart pounding. Behind her frame's helmet her lips curl up at the corners into a grin while her eyes dart around, taking in everything.

"I don't know Nii-san, she seems like she knows what's what. Hey Seargent Major Weber seems like a fun guy, bet he'd be a blast with a few shots in him after this is all over." She chuckles lightly as she does a quick check of her weapons and supplies. What Kazane really wants to do is mingle-- talk with their comrades, learn who they are, what they like. But Daiki's wary of them, so she hangs back. They probably won't welcome her chatter in such a tense situation, anyway.

Daiki nods inside his helmet, knowing his twin would understand. He does another scan of his HUD, checking for any irregularities, and finds nothing amiss. Everything is green, all is right with the world.
I will also punish without hesitation the weak, the incompetent, and the treasonous.— Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt

ALWAYS ANGRY! ALL THE TIME!-Angry Marines Battle Cry

Transient Truth
Traveler

#4 Post by Transient Truth »

Glacial unattached himself from his tether, then he immediately pinged the motion sensors.

No contacts. He thought as he he exited the broken vehicle, pausing just to retrieve a smoke grenade which has came lose on impact. He then exited the APC and out to where his team was assembled.

Once out, he immediately scanned the area with his scope, trying to find out if any Dopplegrangers are lurking in the vicinity of the tunnels. You just can't trust technology too much when you're fighting with Dopplegrangers.

"I think the tunnel is clear." He whispered into the COM. Then he proceeded to pat a patch of air. "Right, Lupus?" He said to nobody in common.
COUNTDOWN TO WIDE AWAKE AND PHYSICAL: ∞
Semper Vigilans - Ever Vigilant

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Freemus stretched when he exited the APC, the APC itself shifted a bit due to the release of weight. “Ah, finally. It always feels good getting out of that cramped thing.” He grabbed his sword and attached it to his back. For now, he wasn’t going to need it. He still had his machine gun to deal some damage before he’ll use his sword to crush his enemies. He grabbed his machinegun, rapped empty first chain-link ammunition into the chamber and shut the hatch. He kept the weapon on standby. The likelihood that a bunch of gangers are going to quickly descend was low as of now.

“I am ready to rock this.” He stated with enthusiasm. It was time that he was able to fight alongside his third gen brothers and sisters.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#6 Post by y7h65 »

The source of the dripping became clear as Charles raised his head. Situated above the two scouts was a massive crater in the ceiling, just a bit over a meter and a half deep, three and a half meter long, and a meter wide. The crater is deep enough to have penetrated some old pipes and water or waste is slowly falling down into the tunnel. It seems something had been blocking the original dripping of the pipes but had moved away recently, allowing the water to fall down into the tunnel. Dust settles and a few stones fall lose from the edge of the crater; the entrance to a massive tunnel leading upwards visible in the dark to Charles. A small rock tumbles down and out of the tunnel and, for Charles, the sound of something far away moving can be heard. Whatever was there is now long gone.

Back at the APC, the sound of a gun firing echoed down from where Dabny and Charles had rushed down. Christina paused what she was about to say to the rest of the team before gritting her teeth and activating her comm-link, clicking the button at the base of her helmet.

"Temple, Forester," She said with a tense voice, her hand gripping the shaft of her weapon tightly. "Report. Is there anything that you'd like to tell us to explain why one of you decided to fire your weapons? If you do not respond, I will be sending the Twins to bring you back;dead or alive."

With that she released the button before glancing over at the rest of the group; the group was arranged in a rough semi circle around the APC. The three APC crew memebers were busy inside the vehicle, apparently salvaging what they could before they scuttled it. The rest of them had taken up defensive positions in the meanwhile. As she listed through their names, skills, and generations she came to a startling realization: She barely knew the members of her team.

"So, Team," She said with a steady voice, eyes on her sector as she spoke. "I believe now would be a wonderful time to get acquainted with the rest of the team. If only to know more about the men and women who will be watching our backs. Would anyone like to start?"
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#7 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

A voice crackled through Dabny's headset, not quite clear.

"It was a 3-meter. I blinded it with a shot and cut the bugger in half. I'm guessing there are more inside." He glanced around, seeing a few tunnels in the ground and on the walls. "I'm guessing there are some beetles around, judging by these tunnels in the walls. Should we move on or investigate?"

He lightly punched Charles on the shoulder.

"Big thing, huh? Didn't expect to see bigger than a 2-meter in here.."
Certified Jojo fan

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

“I’ll take that offer ma’am.” Freemus stated in response to his superior. “I am Black Iron Freemus.” Freemus explained quite confidently as he placed his hand upon his chest as if to show either his toughness or some symbol for his honor. “I was part of the second generation of our kind. My job is to supply the team with superior suppressive fire; I also act as a personal diversion for any of our lighter troops to completely decimate the opponents on the field of battle. If you want me to be bait, I will do it. If you want me to hold the line, I will hold it. And if you want me to chop a doppelganger in half, I will give my damnedest to slice it as even as possible.” Freemus was quite proud of his grand demeanor and his equipment. His pride and boastfulness were truly in the realm of a soldier’s responsibility. It truly is odd that he is willing to be proud of being bait for others to take on, maybe it shows his bravery or maybe it shows his insanity in some weird way. Nevertheless Freemus’s resolve is what kept him alive and the missions he has been on successful. “I hope I will assist the mission the best way I can, ma’am.” He explained, exchanging his boastfulness for humility and servitude as a subordinate for the mission at hand.

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by TheNewGirl »

Ignoring the rest of the group for the moment, Daiki focused intently on his HUD. Loosely arranged around the APC in a defensive formation, they were in all the right places, but they felt relaxed. It wasn’t exactly that they were sloppy, just not precise. When the CO mentioned sending “the Twins” out to recover the scouts, Daiki tensed, waiting for the go command, ready to follow his sister out into the tunnel. That was when the CO asked them for something decidedly strange: “I believe now would be a wonderful time to get acquainted with the rest of the team. If only to know more about the men and women who will be watching our backs. Would anyone like to start?"

That threw Daiki for a loop. Most of the time, you didn’t bother learning who was who. It was just easier for everyone that way. Uncertain about how to proceed, he glanced over at his sister, but before she could open her mouth a different voice spoke up: “I’ll take that offer ma’am.”

Kazane waited as politely as she could for Freemus to finish his (rather boring and impersonal) introduction. Normally she would have been the first to pipe up, but with Daiki standing so close she didn’t want to respond inappropriately and cause him embarrassment. She knew from experience that it would earn her a swift elbow to the gut and an unending glare for at least the next 24 hours. While her first impulse had been to jump right into a motormouth rant about her personal life—favorite books, the newest behind-the-scenes footage of the old Dwayne Simmons flick Bunking with Benefits, a retelling of her best pranks that she and Daiki had pulled—but given the impersonal nature of the previous introduction, she reconsidered. As soon as Freemus finished talking, she bounced up to the CO and thrust out her hand. She grinned behind her helmet.

“Saito Kazane, ma’am, pleased to meet’cha! I’m the oldest of the twins, gen 3 but of course you already knew that. I specialize in sneaking, preparing ambushes or traps, and pattern analysis of ‘ganger behavior—but you probably knew that all, too. For the things you might not know, I’ll try to keep it brief. Born and raised in the Russian bunkers, joined the HUNTER program early, love to read, my favorite movie is Bunking with Benefits, favorite color is pink, and my favorite beverage is Tequila.” She winks at the CO and looks expectantly at her brother.

After a brief pause, “Saito Daiki.”

Kazane glared at her brother, mouth forming what he knew would be a hard line behind her mask. Reluctantly, he added “3rd generation.”

Kazane’s glare intensified and she stepped firmly on her brother’s toes, grinding her heel into the fragile metatarsals. Even more reluctantly, he deadpanned, “WRATH class assault. Ma’am.”

Kazane sighed. That “Ma’am” meant Daiki would do no more talking unless directly ordered to by their CO, and that wasn’t terribly likely. Oh, well, that would have to do.
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

Transient Truth
Traveler

#10 Post by Transient Truth »

Glacial had just put a tracker on the wrecked APC just as Daiki and Kazane had finished speaking. He popped an anti-depressant pill into his mouth and clicked on the COM.
"Glacial Wolf, ma'am. Gen 3 Marksman."He said, and took a look around."Although with all due respect, ma'am, I think we should maintain radio silence until we confirm that this area is hostile-free."

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#11 Post by y7h65 »

"Last I checked, Wolf, the giant monster insects do not have access to basic radio, let alone encrypted short range." Christina responded, voice dry and what might have been a grin at the corner of her lips. "Though if they develop such technology, you shall be the first I inform."

Even as she responded wittily, Christina's eyes scanned over the group as she compiled what she knew of them on paper and what they had chosen to reveal about themselves. Freemus is evidently extremely confident in both his role and abilities, otherwise he would not be declaring his roles and abilities in such a boastful manner. But he did appear to at least be subservient which meant she wouldn't need to worry about conflict from that sector. The twins were, well, polar opposites. Evidently, Kazane was the more sociable of the pair with Daiki being the quiet one. They might be a bit too far on the extremes, which might be a concern later but hopefully, will not be impacting their performance. Finally, there was Glacial. She wasn't sure who would name their kid Glacial but they probably had good reasons to do so. Regrettably, he looked to be the unsociable type as well and his reliance on pills might cause issues later on, potentially in the field. The fact that it was omitted from his official profile was also cause for concern.

Unfortunately, before she could think of a way to discretely bring up her concerns with Glacial, a voice crackled over the radio and broke her train of thought. "Ma'am, we just made it to the junction and can confirm it is junction G-34. For now being lost is the least of our problems, no? So do you want us to hold our position or return to the APC?"

Clicking on her mic, she checked the map as she spoke, a potential route forming in her head. "Negative. Remain where you are, we will be heading down to where you are."

Almost as soon as she finished speaking, the APC crew walked out of the stricken vehicle, the taller Greyson carrying a backpack that clanked with the noise of metal shifting against metal while the shorter figure of Dubois was now adorned with an ammo rig apparently loaded with batteries and what appeared to be additional blocks of ammo. Weber, taking point, gave a curt nod to Christina. "We managed to take all the tools, a couple of replacement parts, and several flasks of alcohol that we hid around the vehicle. Dubois also managed to open up the emergency crew survival kit so we should have enough ammo and batteries for a couple of hours if we're going to be fighting. Also, a few flares and torches. They might be handy once we leave this tunnel."

With everyone properly accounted for, Christina began to walk ahead, giving orders while she did so. "Freemus, you will take point. If you see anything, identify it before blowing it away. Glacial, you will be behind Freemus. If he misses anything, identify it then blow it away. Twins, you each take up one of our sides. Kazane to our right, Daiki to our left. I'm the slowest and most heavily armored so I will take up the rear in the event something comes around up from behind us. Weber, you and your men will take up the center of our formation. Let us not keep our scouts waiting for any longer than necessary."

Meanwhile, at the junction, all appeared to be calm. However, after a couple of seconds, a dripping noise could be heard by both the scouts again. This time, however, it was coming from further down one of the offshoots of the junction, far in the darkness.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#12 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Dabny flicked on his light, the dripping clearly audible.

"Copy, command," he muttered into the comm. The corridor gave him a feeling of deep dread. There were tunnels chewed through the walls, all around... it must have been a lot of.. whatever lived here that was capable of chewing through concrete. Just as he realized this, he heard another drip, and jerked his head to gaze down the corridor once more. He looked right into the face of the beast, nearly jumping out of his skin.
Certified Jojo fan

Transient Truth
Traveler

#13 Post by Transient Truth »

"Affirmative." Glacial said as he got into position. Perhaps he had saw the worry in his CO's face, because he snapped open a private COM channel to Christina. "Ma'am, I'm a hundred and ten percent sure that I'm good to go. The medication is something that the psychiatrist prescribed for me. To help with my lungs. Except that I only take it now to make sure the pain doesn't kick up in the middle of a fight."He explained. Then he fell silent once again, but the channel is still open, as if waiting for the CO to reply to him.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#14 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Feemus nodded towards his commander. “Roger wilco, ma’am. Heading out now.” Freemus didn’t delay; he took point and began his movement forward towards the junction with the other two. He felt comfortable having people behind him and with two heavy hunters as point and rear guard; it can be assured that he won’t need to worry about his six. Wolf was going to be his assisting gunner; anything he missed will be wolf’s to take care of. Sounds like the perfect team, he thought to himself, if only we knew each other prior to the mission. He still placed faith within his commander as there is a reason, most likely multiple reasons, why she is above him in rank. He moved with great haste, or as hastily he could be compared to his other compatriots, to join with the scouts that went ahead to secure the junction. As closer as he came towards the junction, he began to use the battery within his weapon to spin the rotary to prime his weapon for superior firing power.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#15 Post by y7h65 »

Dabny's sudden jolt of fright also galvanized the Beast he was staring at into moving, the action sending it moving straight towards him. With Dabny standing in the middle of the tunnel, apparently having never followed Forestor to the junction, he was the perfectly isolated target for a horrifying attack. With speed faster than what most people could believe, a chunk of the ceiling fell off its position and struck the ground with a might crack. The spectacle was also displayed just in time for the rest of the Squad to witness it in its full glory. Christina, on her part, maanged to keep a straight face and level tone as she addressed the Second Generation Hunter.

"Dabny," She started, voice trailing off as she decided how to phrase "Why on earth did you leave Forester alone and what on God's earth managed to convince you that doing that was a good idea" in as polite a fashion as possible. After a second of deliberation, she came to the decision that there was no good way to phrase it and that the group will be better off continuing to move towards Forester. "Would you mind catching up to Forester before whatever it is that he spotted decides to tear him apart limb from limb?"

Even before the other Second Generation Hunter left, she shifted her attention to her comm unit and to their apparently lone scout. Switching the communications unit to squad level, she answered even as she continued to walk forward.

"Forestor, Dabny should be at your position soon," She said, making sure to stare at the Hunter in Question as she enunciated that point. "And we are almost halfway there. Do try to hold on to the position for us but retreat to our position if the junction is untenable."

Waving off the other scout, Christina finally found the time to answer the Sniper. Truth be told, she did not agree at all with any part of Glacial's sentence. First of all, why would a psychiatrist prescribe pain medication. Psychiatrists prescribed psychiatric therapeutic medication, not pain relief. So either the sniper was lying to her, had no idea what the medication actually did, or was a lot more out of it than she was led to believe. None of them were particularly positive possibilities in her opinion and while she would like to clarify which of the three it was exactly, this was not the time.

"Glacial,' She replied on a private channel with an tone even. "We will discuss this matter at a later time."

However, even as she said that, Christina became aware of a rumbling noise behind them. With tired resignation, she turned around to glance behind her if only to confirm her fears. Staring at the twenty strong group of six feet long and two feet tall stag beetle like monsters with armored plates coloured a pattern of stark white and molted green , she had to admit that this was exactly what she expected. Meanwhile, at the junction, an eighteen strong group of similar doppelgangers suddenly erupted from the darkness, charging straight at the lone scout.

"Well, I guess I expected this."
Local Type Moon Fanatic.