For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Last Man Posting

#15091 Post by Neutral Smith »

Omelette du fromage.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15092 Post by Bellhead »

C'est la vie, mon ami.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15093 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 am
"On the other hand" is an expression relating to describing a different point of view.

"For one thing, you get paid. But on the other hand, you hate your job."

Just dumb humor.
Yes I know I know the expression i was just trying, and failing to be funny.
Kellard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:11 am -snip-
You seem to have a pretty good grasp on it. If anything I think people like you who've learned the language well enough to the point of being able to communicate effectively and with proper grammar and spelling, actually know more than most native speakers. Simply because you've had to study the language far more than somebody who was born in a place that speaks it.

That's coming from someone whose mother tongue is not English lol.
Thanks!
And yes the people who speak a language the worst are always native speakers that is from experience. I have meet my share of English native speakers whom i can barely understand and also some of my fellow nationals speak a barely intelligible Spanish despite having spoke it for all their lives.

Por último adivinare: Español?
Bellhead wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:50 am Yeah. If you have enough of a grasp to hold a conversation, that's quite a bit of vocabulary. I mean, you still make little errors here and there, but overall, you communicate just fine.

And as someone who took two years of French in high school, holding a conversation takes more vocabulary than you think.
Not entirely convinced by personal experience i think my vocabulary is just enough to hold a conversation some of my co workers are the same and i can see they have a more limited English, despite that we manage.

In any case I don't think is that important to speak proper Queens English. My boss is taiwanese, my team is composed of indians, Chinese, Czechs, Dutch and a lot of Mexicans. Our meetings are on the worse broken English you can imagine sometimes i wonder how come we understand each other.

As a funny detail i am able to read french very slowly. Never had classes but Spanish is similar enough for me to infer the meaning. Of cour i can't speak or write it though.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15094 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:27 amsnip

... I have meet my share of English native speakers whom i can barely understand and also some of my fellow nationals speak a barely intelligible Spanish despite having spoke it for all their lives.

snip

In any case I don't think is that important to speak proper Queens English. My boss is taiwanese, my team is composed of indians, Chinese, Czechs, Dutch and a lot of Mexicans. Our meetings are on the worse broken English you can imagine sometimes i wonder how come we understand each other.

As a funny detail i am able to read french very slowly. Never had classes but Spanish is similar enough for me to infer the meaning. Of cour i can't speak or write it though.
A-ight, imma be a grammar nazi for a minute here...

Past tense of "meet" is "met" as in, "I met them yesterday".
Past tense of "speak" is either "spoke" or "spoken" depending on the subject. "He/she/they spoke", "he/she/they have spoken".

"Queens English". This one's tricky, and requires an apostrophe in this context. "Queens English" would refer to a dialect spoken in Queens, such as Queens, New York. "Queen's English" would be a dialect selected by, or owned by, or otherwise under possession of, A queen, "Queen Elizabeth's English", shortened to "The Queen's English". "Queens' English", on the other hand, would mean it was a dialect spoken by several queens; possession would be shared among some plural number of subjects: If a guy owns a car, it's "the guy's car", but a male restroom would be the "Mens' room".

I could infer the meanings in French fairly well, too, and I was told I had a knack for pronunciation. English, French, Spanish, (I think) Portuguese and maybe a couple others, are known as "Romance languages", as in, from Rome. Since they all share a common origin language, Latin, many words sound very similar, even if the grammar and technical definitions are different. Poly- means many, aero- means air, hydro- means water, tele- means far, port means location. The spelling varies from one language to the next, but the Latin base always holds the same meaning across any Romance language.

And that's my 10:00 PM rant for the day.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15095 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Well I guess I have a personal grammar tutor now.

I have no defense againstt meet. Always confuse both. Spoken i will blame autocorrect and not reviewing my post before submitting.

Regarding the queen i did missed the apostrophe. For whatever reason my cellphone was intent on writing"Queens" instead of "Queen's" i do now my possessives.

And yeah Spanish, Portuguese, french, Italian and Catalan, to name a few are all romance language they all come one way or another from latin. English is saxon-germanic. And all of them are somewhat similar. Except Catalan that thing sounds closer to polish than Spanish.

However your examples although correct in spirit are not latin. Poly-, hydro-, tele- etcetera are all of Greek origin. There is significant pieces of Greek on romance languages as Rome conquered Greece and adopted and distributed a fair share of the Hellenic culture.

A more latin example would be ambulance (ambulancia) which comes from latin ambulare meaning to walk, also homicide (homicidio) which comes from lstin homo man and caedo meaning to strike. Also yes there is significant latin in English too. There were roman settlement in London near the first venture ac

And that is my 11:30 pm etymological rant!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15096 Post by Bellhead »

Wait... Etymological? *proceeds to the Google*

Ah. I had that confused with entomology. For a minute there, I was VERY confused.

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15097 Post by Tornir »

If you find someone who understands the correct use of the apostrophe, they're either an English major, or someone who learned it as a second language. The rest of us native speakers didn't pay attention in school and just guess where it goe's. :P
Also, don't forget this quote:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll wrote:The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
This is also true of grammar, and it been going on for centuries.

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15098 Post by Kellard »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:27 am Por último adivinare: Español?
Vi eble neniam scios :P
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm Also, don't forget this quote:
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/James_Nicoll wrote:The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
Haaaa
Truth. English straight up borrows words from so many other languages. Everyone just kind of accepts their use and knows their meaning even though there is nothing English about them.

Tornir
Master

#15099 Post by Tornir »

Kellard wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm Also, don't forget this quote:
Haaaa
Truth. English straight up borrows words from so many other languages. Everyone just kind of accepts their use and knows their meaning even though there is nothing English about them.
Take the word Schadenfreude; it's been noted there's no single word equivalent in the English language, so we just nicked it. It's pronounced as it would be in German, and it's even capitalized like a German noun. So, foreign language students learning English also learn bits of German (& French, & Dutch, & Norse, & Hindi, & Gaelic, & Spanish...)
I know the French have a government committee set up to take new foreign words/concepts and come up with an equivalent that follows their linguistic rules, so that French doesn't become another Frankenstein's Monster like English.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15100 Post by Bellhead »

Indeed. We, the English speakers of the world, shall elegantly and diligently pilfer and pillage any and all other languages for subsequent vocabulary additions. With much posh-ness.

Also, Kellard: What.. is that avatar? Skeleton biker wolf? I am confused.

Kellard
Templar Master

#15101 Post by Kellard »

It's Skellard

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15102 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Etymological yes i am not fond of bugs.
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm If you find someone who understands the correct use of the apostrophe, they're either an English major, or someone who learned it as a second language. The rest of us native speakers didn't pay attention in school and just guess where it goe's. :P
Is it really that bad? I mea. I always found funny that some native speakers can't differentiate between you're and your as grammatically they are leagues away. But i though that was just an anomaly.
Kellard wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:46 pm
Technic[Bot] wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:27 am Por último adivinare: Español?
Vi eble neniam scios :P
Esperanto en serio?

Also is that your early Halloween profile picture?
... Does it came at night and kidnaps people in their sleep?
Bellhead wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:21 pm Indeed. We, the English speakers of the world, shall elegantly and diligently pilfer and pillage any and all other languages for subsequent vocabulary additions. With much posh-ness.

Also, Kellard: What.. is that avatar? Skeleton biker wolf? I am confused.
I think I speak for all the non English speaking people when I say: "please pillage our languages, but only our languages please"

Anyhow Spanish also has a central governing authority. La Real academia española. Or RAE in Spanish. And yes it is royal because it is directly under the Spanish crown, yes they do have a king.

They oversee grammar and given their efforts and the fact Spanish is more complicated than English it has maintained a relative "purity" through times. The academy maintains standardization but it also sometimes a bit out of date and out of touch. It has numerous times stood against inclusive languages. If you think people freak out about singular they you have never seen and Spanish scholar ranting about les and other neutral articles.

My favorite loan word in English is chocolate 🍫 no it is not of Spanish origin. If you guess without google from which language it comes from i will owe you a chocolate.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Kellard
Templar Master

#15103 Post by Kellard »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:20 am Esperanto en serio?

Also is that your early Halloween profile picture?
... Does it came at night and kidnaps people in their sleep?
Who knows?
Perhaps.
Perhaps.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:20 am My favorite loan word in English is chocolate 🍫 no it is not of Spanish origin. If you guess without google from which language it comes from i will owe you a chocolate.
Nahuatl. Most spoken language in Mesoamerica at that time.
Too bad chocolate isn't good for dogs.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15104 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh come on that was a good one for the anglophones!

And yes chocolate comes from the nahuatl xocolatl meaning hit or frothy water. Originally chocolate was consumed as a hot beverage made with water, flour and chilli. It was not until the Europeans came that it was turned into a dessert.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master

#15105 Post by Tornir »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:20 am
Tornir wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm If you find someone who understands the correct use of the apostrophe, they're either an English major, or someone who learned it as a second language. The rest of us native speakers didn't pay attention in school and just guess where it goe's. :P
Is it really that bad? I mean I always found funny that some native speakers can't differentiate between you're and your as grammatically they are leagues away. But i though that was just an anomaly.
It can be.
Not only you're/your, but there/their/they're, then/than, to/two/too, and quite a few others.
The singular of lenses is not lense.
Then there's contractions; phrases like "could have" can be shortened to "could've", but because of how it sounds when spoken, people write it as "could of" which is nonsensical.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:13 am Originally chocolate was consumed as a hot beverage made with water, flour and chilli.
Chilli chocolate. Yum. The Nahua were on to something with that. :)
(Trust the Europeans to ruin it (and their teeth) by dumping a ton of sugar in it.)