Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

Re: Last Man Posting

#15211 Post by Neutral Smith »

If nothing else works replace the speedometer.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15212 Post by Bellhead »

Nah, turned out the transmission bearings were shot. Kept kicking itself into NASCAR mode. Fix'd now.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#15213 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Uhh....

*Convert from freedom units to metrics*

Holy [censored] that is very fast!

Forgive my ignorance but what does a shot bearing means? I know what a bearing is but i am pretty sure the problem has nothing to do with them getting shot with a projectile.
Also what is NASCAR mode?
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15214 Post by Bellhead »

NASCAR is an acronym for I-don't-know-what, and is a league of racing here in the US commonly known as Stock Car Racing. Back in the days of muscle cars, the car you watched win the race on Sunday was a bone-stock version of the car that sat on the dealership lot on Monday. Now it's a little different. Oval-track racing using nearly identical cars, limited speed, limited engine RPM, several other regulations I'm not entirely familiar with. I used "NASCAR mode" as a reference to shifting into 'sport' mode, or 'race' mode.

"Shot" in this case is akin to "ruined". Toasted. Done for. Kaput. It's a slang term, generally referring to excessive wear, rather than breakage. Radio sounds choppy and always has static, could be that the receiver's shot. A car would run like crap if the engine was shot.

In this case, the bearing is a known issue. There's a service bulletin and everything. Apparently, that bearing is under a lot of stress and just isn't strong enough to handle the force, so the races begin to show pitting, and the rollers can eventually disintegrate completely in a worst-case scenario. I heard a noise that I know from experience comes from that bearing, and can come from nowhere else, so I knew that the bearing was shot.

Maybe it's a New England thing. Could be. Haven't been anywhere else long enough to know.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15215 Post by Technic[Bot] »

O yeah i always thought 'sport' mode was simply a marketing term. Never had a car with it, but then i do not even drive...

Overloaded bearing, not good. That is not a good design, either they underestimated the forces in that bearing or undersized the bearing. Which actually is the same.

You reminded me a friend first car, he bought a used piece of scrap metal car that did not even had a gearbox, he had to drive it on first gear from whenever he grabbed it from to a mechanic shop to change the gearbox.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Tornir
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Maeve

#15216 Post by Tornir »

Bellhead wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:53 am ////
"Shot" in this case is akin to "ruined". Toasted. Done for. Kaput. It's a slang term, generally referring to excessive wear, rather than breakage. Radio sounds choppy and always has static, could be that the receiver's shot. A car would run like crap if the engine was shot.
////
Maybe it's a New England thing. Could be. Haven't been anywhere else long enough to know.
It's also a term used in Old England. Slang never seems to be taught in ESoL courses; I've known a few non-native speakers who've had to pause a conversation to get clarification on something someone said.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15217 Post by Technic[Bot] »

You British Mr Tornir?

Anyhow I had heard the term of a "shot <component>" before but my brain decided to forget about it....

But yes insults and slang are conspicuously missing from any EFL course. On one hand that part of the language evolves so fast that it may be pointless to teach it. I cannot understand the spanish slang kids use these days and that is my first language!

You also reminded my about that time i took the IELTS. Fun times!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15218 Post by Bellhead »

blep

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#15219 Post by Neutral Smith »

[Censored bleep]

Just R2D2 saying something naughty.
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15220 Post by Bellhead »

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15221 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Now i am curious if Mr Bell meant blep as in dog sticking his tongue out or as in R2D2

I once heard there is a deleted scene of Hayden playing Anakin and speaking binary (that is the canon name of r2 speech) so basically juts bleeping.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15222 Post by Bellhead »

Oh, I definitely meant the tongue sticking out. I don't tend to mention Star Wars unless there's a very obvious reason to.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster

#15223 Post by Neutral Smith »

And I identify myself as an earth atmosphere breathing, water drinking, in solar radiation discoloring weak human being, and I don't blep.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15224 Post by Bellhead »

Well I guess you're not me, then.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15225 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I don't think I have ever seen a person bleping at least not unironically, of course this is assuming a blep is different from simply Sticking out your tongue.

To this date i am surprised that despite being from the 70s Star wars is still very culturally relevant. Well a lot of stuff from that age is so not sure why I am so surprised
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide