Last Man Posting

For all your forum game goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Last Man Posting

#15316 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Frequency converters? I thought cruises used diesel engines. Well i suppose they Amy have lots of motors regardless.

Given recently worldly events i honestly lost any appreciation i had for cruises.

I have been wanting to take a day or too to simply sleep in bed all day. Sounds a bit sad but honestly my bed is sometimes too comfy.

My dogs are not allowed on furniture...
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#15317 Post by Bellhead »

Mine has learned to ask first. But we also don't have nice enough furniture to warrant keeping the dog off it.

Now.. From what I remember from a documentary I saw more than 10 years ago... Large ocean-going vessels, specifically cargo ships from that documentary, use a fuel similar to tar in consistency. They said they got a whopping 8 feet per gallon, but if the fuel lines cooled too much, the fuel would solidify in the lines. I'd wager that cruise ships would use something slightly different, though probably not your everyday run-of-the-mill Highway Diesel. That said, large scale diesel engines are known for their ridiculous reliability over long spans of time, so it wouldn't surprise me if that really were the case. It just seems to me that, especially in this day and age, we'd find something more efficient than diesel for something that size. But hey, it's still better than coal, and the heat could also be used to power turbines and such for greater efficiency.

Eh. It's not like you could just slap a huge battery in the hull of a ship that size and say, "Look, eco-friendly!" It doesn't work like that. As cool as that would be...
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15318 Post by Neutral Smith »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa_Smeralda_(ship)
the largest ship commissioned for and to ever operate for Costa, and is the fifth-largest cruise ship in the world, as of 2019. Costa Smeralda is also the second cruise ship in the world to be fully powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG)
The technician from ABB I worked with on an offshore job (production platform) recommended the company I work for to assist with the maintenance on that ship.

The problem with if you do your job well you get more work :mrgrin:
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15319 Post by Bellhead »

Ain't that always the way.

LNG huh... I've been told it's cleaner, at least. Didn't know it had that much power, though. How reliable are the systems? For something that size, I'd have pretty high expectations, but I don't have any experience with LNG to say anything.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15320 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Weird rule they are not allowed in furniture because furniture is for humans period. Not my rule by the way.

Yeah the bum who half [censored] his job gets to have a chill world load and the responsible high performance worker gets more work as a reward.

Most gasolines are incredibly power dense, chemical batteries are not there yet. In fact most Diesel locomotives are actually hybrid. The giantic diesel engine is used to power 4 electric motors. Wonder if it is the same for ships?

I remember seeing lng powered cars sometimes they are not common but they exist. I imagine system is very reliable as most modern power plants are powered via natural gas plus a turbine. Not sure if the ships ditches the diesel engine in favor of that but it would be very cool!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15321 Post by Bellhead »

That is a weird rule, but not that strange. I mean, it makes sense..

But for us, pets are allowed on the furniture, but generally only when invited. If there's anyone sitting there, the dog must get approval before jumping up. Fluffy doggo is warm, very good for snuggles. Especially in the cold. Mine's not that fluffy, but he's still warm.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15322 Post by Technic[Bot] »

My local idiosyncrasies about pets are a bit different. Dogs are animals at the end and should not get free reign in house. And are generally regarded as dirty. My grandpa did not allowed his dog inside the house until he was like 70.

Both my dogs are cuddly and relatively fluffy but even I am not fully comfortable of them simply jumping in for snuggles. Besides Sophie is rather large so it gets uncomfortable fast.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#15323 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

I have decided to once again be winning. That is all.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#15324 Post by Kellard »

TheFrozenSlime wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:47 am I have decided to once again be winning. That is all.
Oh hi Mark

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#15325 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

I'd like my winner's spot back, thanks.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Self-Proclaimed

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#15326 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Oh hai Mr Slime!
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Hayate
The Hidden User

#15327 Post by Hayate »

Winning!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Neutral Smith
Templar GrandMaster
Fav. Twokinds Character: Saria's father

#15328 Post by Neutral Smith »

Really?
If it moves but shouldn't: Duct tape. If it doesn't move but should: WD-40. With a hammer everything fits, and if it still doesn't fit: bigger hammer. If it can't be fixed with a hammer it's an electrical problem.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#15329 Post by Bellhead »

Really, really.

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#15330 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Now it is I who wins.
Self-Proclaimed