WARNING [File Corrupted]

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

TheNewGirl
Templar GrandMaster

WARNING [File Corrupted]

#1 Post by TheNewGirl »

It's just another day, just another job. The daily grind, and all that... Until you receive a message from your boss, that is. It contains brief instructions, detailing a retrieval mission you are to embark upon, to secure some data for the company. That's it. No clue as to what the data is, why it's needed, or even what format it's in. Just the instructions, and the map. You open the map file, and take a look at what you're getting into.

The route indicated to you by your map is overlayed with yellow and red symbols, indicating dangerous areas. Looks like your data is right in the middle of a red zone- go figure. Your route ends at a decrepit shell of an old corporate building on a lower level, well below the comfortable and relatively safe middle-class spires.There are no other instructions indicating floor or room in which your data is located, not even a "good luck" to send you on your way.

Well, time to go.
"Challenge me, dare me, even defy me. But never underestimate me, for on the back of my horse anything is possible."

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

Re: WARNING [File Corrupted]

#2 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Some days, having your body and soul owned by someone else could be a pain. Not a literal pain-Jarvim Brinley's boss was suspiciously relaxed about the whole thing. With the skin grafts, cartilage reconstruction, and minor organ augmentation, Genna could've demanded he go around wearing a thong in the Catacombs with the complete expectation that he'd do it unless he'd rather have glass shoved underneath his gums while she, ah, recovered the money invested into his body.

To cut it short, when Genna Kinloch sent him a message explaining how he was heading to the Poverty Spires, Jarvin's protest consisted of a brief, grumpy textual acknowledgement while taking a large public elevator down from the more comfortable Mid-Spire to the Low Spires. Today, however, was apparently the day where people accused him of doing things he couldn't have possibly done, like poisoning several batches of Sonna that had ended up killing a few middling office workers. It would be depressing how often this happened if it wasn't so life-threatening.

"I told th' lot of you already, I don't know what th' goddamn hell y' keep spitting on about!" Jarvin insisted, eying an unconvinced thug who had cornered him not a minute after he had exited the elevator towards his destination. Taking a shortcut through an alleyway had not been his best decision in recent memory.

"Right, and I'm supposed to buy that." His would-be murderer scoffed, voice muffled through a thick, stained dark orange scarf and parka. His winter-bound appearance would have been almost comical if not for the gleaming knives held in both hands as he approached the unhappy Sunlight Clinic employee.

Slanted eyes narrowed as their owner brandished his knife from within his brown jacket with a taser to match in the other hand, scowling. "No, I'm just a great liar. Of course y' supposed t' buy that, because it's true! Y' want my life story? I was sleepin'. Done. Let's go home."

The thug drew closer, eyes intent. "Description said you got hit while leaving. You're limping, even if you're trying to hide it."

"It's from another flamin' idiot who thought I killed someone else, now back off unless y' want a fresh one t' match!" Jarvin held up his own weapons, readying himself.

Metal flashed as the thug lunged forward, ignoring Jarvin's threat. Muffled grunts of exertion echoed out into the streets, ignored by the few passerby.

(OOC: If someone wants to jump in near me, feel free. I'll wrap it up on my own if nobody wants to use it.)
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Stryder221 »

What had started out as just another day filled with monotony had quickly turned into something a little more interesting, particularly for the woman known as Kira Tringham. Not only had she been ordered to secure some data for god-knows-what reason for the good of her "employer", but there was two people in the alleyway she had just happened to be passing by.

On a whim, she decided to entertain herself by watching the two barbarians, as she referred to them, go at it. She had some time to spare after all, perhaps not all that much, but she stuck around anyway. No doubt they'd notice her in all her casually dressed glory, silently watching as she leaned against a wall, wearing a long-sleeved blue shirt, jeans, red cape (Or a hood-less cloak, if you prefer), and a bow of the same color in her short brown hair.

Hell, they might even decide to kill her if they decided there were to be no witnesses. But she wasn't worried in the slightest. They had no way of knowing if she was armed. The cape most of the time did a wonderful job at hiding her weaponry.
Even if she was without a weapon, she still wouldn't be too concerned. She could handle common thugs.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

triman95

#4 Post by triman95 »

Thoughts racing through his mind, all just repeating themselves in his head. Its been too long since his last job and worries and fears of being targeted have arisen. Giving him more of a reason to make sure the job is completed with success on his end. These thoughts continue to go through Oliver's mind during the rest of his trip through the lower level.

His trained of thought to be broken by the sound of fighting occurring in a alley. With only a glance through his mask he could tell that two people were fighting and that another person were there, a woman. Not trying to draw more attention to himself, with the mask being a big sign of interests, quickly try to pass by the fight and the woman. With a quick speech of words he tells the woman watching, "Passerbys and locals shouldn't stay around in one spot, especially in the lower levels." Leaving with only that bit of warning and continuing on his way to the location for the data and trying to stay aware of his surroundings.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#5 Post by Lief »

"Damnit, Dad," Alex mumbled, stepping off an elevator. "Wish you had been more careful with your spending." Smoothing his gray button-up, Alex started walking in the general direction of 4th and Flyway. "Package Retrieval" was not in his job description.

Not wanting to deal with the crowds, he ducked into an alleyway to take a shortcut, only to be quickly reminded of why you stayed out of the alleys in the lower spires. On the other side of the alley were two men- Possibly gang members having a dispute- fighting. Probably best to let this play out. And Alex would have, if he hadn't recognized one of the combatants.

Retrieving the lone knuckleduster from his pocket, Alex approached the battling duo and grabbed the shorter man's orange hood, yanking him back. The man stumbled backwards, and as he turned, Alex hit him square in the jaw with a sucker punch, which knocked the man to the ground, and incapacitated him for the moment if naught else.

Keeping half an eye on the thug, Alex turned his attention to the other man. "Didn't expect to see you down here. Ya alright?"

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#6 Post by y7h65 »

"You know, your snide comments are pretty vanilla for a creepy ominous-doom type person." I commented at the odd man's attempt to be witty, the same man that I had been following for the last while.

Since waking up in this mysterious city with nothing to my name, I've managed to grab a small courier job. It paid just enough for me to have food that wasn't from the shelter every so often and for me to have monthly passes to a rec center. I was making my way to drop off my latest package when the man, I think I'll call him Creepy from now on, showed up on the same path that I was taking. He had appeared to be busy at the time so I'd given him no attention until his rather, well, lackluster attempt to be ominous.

Shifting the messenger bag on my back slightly, feeling the contents move slightly within, I turn my attention back to the fight. Like Creepy already stated, it appeared as if somebody that didn't belong in the lower levels had made their way down here. I suppose that if nobody was going to step in, I'll have to.

Pulling out my phone, I only managed to punch in the first number for the police when another man walked up to the guy in the orange hoodie and proceeded to cold cock the man in the jaw. As the guy in the hoodie dropped to the ground, the man with the boots turning to check on the man that had been attacked, I let out a sigh of relief. As much as it was of questionable legality for the man to suddenly punch the man in the jaw, having to deal with the police would make me late for my delivery and that may just cause me to lose my one source of meager income.

Turning around and getting ready to head to the delivery site, the sound of clothing moving causing me to pause. Looking around, I noticed a slight movement from Hoodie's curled up form. Without warning he drew a small folding knife from within his hoodie and made a charge at the man in boots.

As the man began his charge, I cried out a warning of "Heads!" as instincts took over. Winding my arm and taking aim, phone still in hand, I pitched the small plastic device as fast as I could at the charging man. Boots, apparently having heard my warning, managed to step out of the way just in time to avoid the plastic phone. True to my aim, the dense phone smashed straight into Hoodie's forehead with a loud crack and the man crumpled to the ground once again.

"Sorry!" I apologized as I ran up to Boots and Helpless, taking the time to pull the phone back to me with my foot as I spoke. "I just saw him charging and instincts took over!"
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Stryder221 »

The fight had taken a turn for the worse. Or was it better? Bah, it didn't matter. Either way, the winter-bound man was down for the count after being attacked by two more individuals, knocking him down with ease. Kira sincerely doubted he'd stay down for long, at least, not if he was worth even the clothes he was wearing.

True, these people could take him down again, probably permanently, but she'd wasted enough time here watching, she couldn't stay any longer. The masked man that had passed through was pretty odd, and someone that suspicious basically deserved to be tailed, and it might as well be her that does the tailing.

Reaching a hand under her cape, Kira pulled out what looked to be a high-quality pistol, equipped with currently inactive laser pointer and a silencer, took aim at the downed thug's head, and fired. Even with the silencer, these people would no doubt hear the gunshot, and as good a shot she was, she did not know if she'd missed or not, due to leaving without bothering to check. All that, and it was likely a waste of a perfectly good bullet even if it did hit, as she considered the average thug to be beneath her.

The last thing anyone would see, should they have turned to look towards the noise, was a currently unknown woman walking away from the scene, putting away a freshly discharged handgun.

With all that out of the way, Kira had a new objective. That being to tail the masked man, and see if he had any relevance to her main task.
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#8 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Jarvin stared around at the sudden profusion of different folk who'd shown up, slipping his weapons back underneath his jacket. This situation had gone from one possibly lethal attacker to multiple possibly lethal strangers deciding that today was a fine day to be helping others. Not that he was upset about having his guts remain inside and warm, but he had carefully taken several steps away during the explosion of action in case the world decided he was next to be punched, smacked, and executed.

"I'm fine, but I preferred him t' mysterious vigilantes." He grumbled, nodding his thanks to Alex, a semi-frequent acquaintance of his, and the phone tossing girl. Odd to see someone like her down here. Too clean, too happy. Again, not that he was going to complain. Guts, inside, good. He wasn't going to try and tell her to be sad.

Jarvin appraised the young woman briefly, glancing at Alex. "You two workin' t'gether?" He held up his right hand, forestalling his own line of thought. "I've got t' get goin'. Genna told me t' find somethin' around here."
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#9 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

A garage opens up and a set of headlights flick on and the rumble of an aging internal combustion engine springs to life and the wide rear tires screech as the vehicle jumps out from the bay and slides around the corner and onto the street as Anthony's newest assignment appears on screen, standard removal really, no problem. Pulling up to the alley way where the ping of the artificial parts he was sent to recover. Stepping out of his black mamba Anthony stepped into the alley way and saw but only a dead body with a splattered head and a woman walking away. Taking the arm he was sent for Anthony got in his car and rumbled down the alley way behind the women then layed into the horn to get her attention. Hey, you killed my target... Nice job though it takes the fun out of it for me. Here's my card by the way. As he said this he put the throttle down and shot off down the road, a business card fluttering to the ground in his wake as he barreled towards the Humanity building to turn in the arm and get the next assignment.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

triman95

#10 Post by triman95 »

The location of the job description match the destination more or less. The windows have long since either been broken or cover with enough filth that you couldn't see through them not until cleaned a bit. The door seemed to be broken and barely hanging on. This place seem to scream a trap and a big mess waiting to happen. Fortunaly, or unfortunaly, Oliver could tell this was the location without having to double check the job information.

Luckily he been through worse situations. Pulling out his long-barrel revolver he began to move through the building searching room by room slowly. Having no idea of what he is looking for he slowly looked for any documents that may be still in one piece of legible or any working systems that may have been left behind. Looking and finding nothing he was moving slowly not just to becareful if he missed anything, but waiting and listening to hear or see if an addict had may this place his home, if someone would ambush him, or if he was suppose to meet someone for this assignment, not even aware that someone was following him.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#11 Post by Stryder221 »

Now, when Kira had shot at a helpless thug, she had, admittedly, not thought of the possible consequences. While her line of work hammered in the fact that she couldn't show weakness pretty well, it didn't stop her from thinking about it. On occasion.
Of course, before she had time to really register the fact she'd recently killed someone in cold blood, the rumbling of an engine had recently been made audible in the- OH SWEET JESUS!

Whirling around, Kira, without thinking, drew her handgun and before she could stop herself, fired a shot at the unknown motorist who'd dared to startle her with that damned loud horn of his.
She missed. Partially due to her hasty aim and her target being a player character, and therefore immune to being shot right after his first appearance. But mostly because of her haste.

The driver said something, she knew that, something about his target and the fun being taken out of it for him, but she wasn't exactly paying attention.
Before she knew it, the driver's vehicle was soon speeding off down the road, leaving her bewildered as to what had just happened, the only proof he had been there being the tire marks, and the business card he'd left, which Kira snatched.

Did he even realized she'd shot at him during that scene?

Unpleasant experience, to say the least...
With only this thought in mind, Kira had made to resume tailing her mystery man, right after taking a moment to calm her nerves, of course. This task only lasted for about two seconds before she'd realized something incredibly displeasing.
I don't know where he went! That [censored] and his damned obnoxious horn! How am I supposed to tail the guy now?! It was at this point she'd crushed the business card in her hand, numerous colorful curses floating around in her head.

It was then that she'd decided to resume her original objective, silently muttering as she walked, knowing all too well that it would take her quite a bit of time to reach her destination on foot.
Times like these were when she wished she had a car, or at least some method of transportation faster (and likely safer) than simply hoofing it.

MUDPUNISHER
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#12 Post by MUDPUNISHER »

A small square touchscreen popped up from the Mamba's dash with a short beeping tone.
"You have 1 new job offer from; CONAN INDUSTRIES," said the dash computer.
Anthony pulled over and poked [OPEN]. Conan tends to pay really well, but if you didn't reply fast enough then the offer was gone, filled by some less-talented schmuck.
Anthony Lining, your talents are requested. Reward guaranteed. wrote:Mister Anthony Lining;

We acknowledge your past services for Conan Industries. You've been a great asset to us in the past, and we hope we can rely on you in this instance today.

We are aware of your sentiments towards Humanity, Inc., but we are going to have to ask you to professionally set your feelings aside for the sake of this operation. Our intelligence has informed us that Humanity is planning to recreate a deadly virus from before The War in order to destroy or inflict harm to many Conan products -and, by proxy, harm their users. We're sure you can see why this is a threat, and needs to neutralized.

The virus that the terrorists are looking to study is in an old building on the underspire, a classic 21st century complex in the old Silicon Valley sector. Incredibly, the building still stands today. We want you to demolish it. Hopefully that should destroy any artifacts that the terrorists wish to inflict on the general public.

Now we had hoped that you wouldn't have to neutralize any of your old Humanity comrades, but it appears they're planning to send in some rogue agents to recover the artifacts some time today or tomorrow. If you encounter anyone during your time there, you are authorized to use lethal force to eliminate them. You are welcome to fence off any upgrades, transplants, or artificial limbs or organs for further profit. Do not let them fool you; they are terrorists, and they plan to unleash a new hell on the world.

We understand that the Underspires are a dangerous place to be for any length of time, which is why your reward for this job, should you choose to take it and find yourself successful, has been placed at §25,000.00. In addition, we have seen fit to give you a partner to help watch your back in the dangerous environment. His name is Oliver Greenwood, and he's worked with us for some time now. Don't worry about him keeping up with you; he's good.

Should you choose to accept, an initial sum of §5,000.00 will be deposited directly into your account, and the coordinates for the meeting point with Mr. Greenwood will be downloaded directly into your navigator. Once you reach the meeting grounds, the explosives required to detonate the complex and coordinates to the complex will be provided for you. You will be expected to meet Mr. Greenwood at 4:30. In order to insure security of this vital information, Mr. Greenwood has not been informed of the details of this operation and will require you to inform him of the information we have just shared with you.

You have until 4:15 to accept, or the offer expires. Choose wisely, Mr. Lining.

{ACCEPT} {DENY}
Smirking Anthony tossed the arm in the back seat and slammed the E-brake up and skidded around the curve, tapping his finger on the touch screens ACCEPT button and driving to the appointed destination. Flicking on his radio he grabed an old iPod and cycled through the songs and clicked on Aces High and let the song play as he rolled up to his destination and popped open his door and stepped out, slipping his hat over his head and looking around.

The sound of an engine from Anthony's car drew Oliver's attention from his search. Rushing over to a broken window to gain a better look at who have arrive, it was easy to tell he wasn't an average thug of the poverty spires. Could this be the man that he was meant to meet, someone sent to kill him, or competition for the same job?

With no time to guess and no desire to risk getting into a head to head fight with someone who pose a great threat he quickly make his way to the bathrooms ((seeing how nothing of importance can be in there)). Setting his briefcase done and grabbing one of his knifes he lied in waiting behind the bathroom corner in hiding. He was at least going to get answers about why Anthony was here, either as aid or a possible threat, before deciding whether or not to spill blood today.

Stepping into the building Anthony had his gun a classic LMG the Stoner 63 in his hand and his .357 on his hip. As he walked through the house he noticed that most of the windows had been sightly rubbed clean to see outside. As he went he pushed each door open with the barrel of the gun, then he found one door that was locked… being his urious ADHD self he jiggled the knob and heard nothing and felt no give. Well... one way to fix that. Taking a step back he puled his boot up and rammed his foot into the door and buckled it in half and flicked on his flashlight and pointed his rile into the room, the light shining on some guy in the corner with a knife. Uhh hello? Would your name happen to be oliver?

"Yes I'am," lowering his revolver down and putting his knife back into his suit coat. "I guess you were the second operative I was suppose to meet." Keeping his revolver in his hand and trying to study Anthony for any possible clear signs. "You have a name or are you here for something else?" Trying to remain ready if he needs to raise his revolver again.

Yes and yes, though I dont feel to keen on saying my name so you can call me what the rest of conan calls me, "Capone". Now, lets go, explosives dont load themselves.
Walking out of the building he kept his focus primarily behind him as he went to his car and popped the trunk.

"Explosives? I think you need to bring me up to speed on what we about to do here." Holstering his revolver seeing as he can trust Capone for now.

Stopping, Anthony dropped his hands from the trunk lid and looked oliver dead in his eyes, You... Dont know why we… what exatly are you assigned to do? My assignment was to meet Oliver Greenwood, Whom you purport to be, here to pickup munitions and a partner to assist in th demolition of a small 21st century building currenly ocupied by my traditionl employer. Now tell me. Are you or are you not Oliver Greenwood? And if so what have YOU been assigned t do, because so help me god if conan is [censored] with me agan, you're gunn die and they're gunna die. So I ask again, WHERE ARE MY EXPLOSIVES?!?! As he talked he grew from a short whisper to thundering roar as he drew his revolver and pointed it to the sky steadily staring dead at Oliver as if into his soul.

Letting out a big sigh, "I shouldn't be surpise by this."Walk over to the car setting his suitcase down reaching for his disposable cell phone. Going through his recent messages pulling up his latest message about the job at hand. "Here take a look." Handing his phone to Capone.
Classified Op, Mercenary Needed, Details To Be Discussed wrote:Mister Oliver Greenwood;

Your talents are requested for a classified operation.

Please meet with our second operative at 8th and Howe St on the poverty spire at 4:30 on Friday for further details. Compensation for your troubles will be awarded to you once the operation is complete.

Thank you,

Conan Industries.
"Beside that little bit of information I have their I know nothing else. As for your questions, yes I'am Oliver Greenwood and I don't have any form of explosives with me on hand." Setting his hand on his mask/face. "Guessing from your remark we are going to find a way to either make or find a explosive." Moving his hand over his revolver if Capone snaps on him.

Sighing Anthony went into the building and walked around for a bit, peeking into random rooms until he stumbled on something, opening the door of a small closet in the hallway Anthony did a slight jump and clapped, before him sat a copius amounts of explosives, quite an apropriate amount of the good stuff and a few remote activated detonators and an old style plastic detonator with a few letters scratched into the side reading Mr. Linning. grabing the two suitcases of explosives he walked back to his car and dropped them in the trunk. Yea, no explosives huh. Get in.As he sat down he punched the secondary coordinates in and turned on the engine, reving up the souped up 350 Small block.
Nuclear Cowboy
Gotta build them flat decks.
Manchild with to much disposable income and not enough sense to spend it well

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#13 Post by Lief »

"Right..." Alex murmured, glancing at the unconscious thug before looking over the woman who threw the phone. "Thanks, I think. Good instincts." After a moment, he looked back at Jarvin and grimaced slightly when he heard the muffled gunshot. Normally he'd react more, pull out his own pistol and duck into cover, something more than stand around and pretend it didn't happen. This time, however, he knew, almost instinctively, that it was the thug who had been shot. He didn't need to look to confirm it.

"I'm on an errand myself, actually. Hell, I'm probably behind schedule." He turned to leave, stepping in between the relatively short woman and Jarvin. "I'll be seeing you, Jarvin. Try not to get yourself killed, I don't think Genna would appreciate that."

"Oh, and thanks again, Courier." He waved to the two as he stepped out onto the street, heading towards 4th and Flyway. He didn't really want to check his phone, he was probably already late.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by Stryder221 »

It was a long, uneventful walk that Kira had forced herself to suffer through. By the time she'd reached her destination, 4th and Flyway, she was running short on patience, especially since the person that was to be here was LATE.
Just my luck... She'd thought, frowning. Though, come to think of it, she wasn't given an exact time to show up at. It was basically "Go here on this day to meet this guy." Hell, she might even be early, by who knows how much.

Deciding to pass some time, she took to leaning against a nearby wall, tapping her foot impatiently.
So far, only a single passerby questioned her loitering about. Fortunately, a single glare, cold as ice, stopped his questioning and sent him scurrying away after a hasty apology.

As seconds passed, Kira only began to slowly grow more and more tense. She didn't like waiting out in the open, it was like waving a sign that said to any potential sniper "Look, I'm a sitting duck, go right ahead and shoot me!".
She doubted anyone would be after her head right now, but that doubt didn't really do much at all to ease her current state of nervousness, and she soon found herself scanning the rooftops above, just to be sure nobody happened to be taking aim at her.

I must look conspicuous as hell, and imagining the ways I could die right now is not fun... Hurry up, Fischer!

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#15 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

(OOC: Apologies for the delay. 'I' is in referral to y7h65's character. He writes in first person, I write in third.)

Nodding along and muttering a "Later!" to the retreating form of Boots when I realized what he had called Helpless: Jarvin. There wasn't a chance that they could be the same Jarvin, could they?

"Saaaaaay, mister?" I begin, keeping my voice slow just in case that knock to the head did a bit more damage than he was showing. "You wouldn't happen to be Jarvin Brinley, would you?"

The man who was indeed Jarvin Brinley frowned at the young woman. Courier? Probably occupation. Could be a name, he'd heard worse. "You aren't aimin' t' try an' kill me like th' guy you hit before, are you? I really don't need two of those in th' same day."

Waving my hands in front of me, I quickly shouted "Nononono," before Help-Jarvin got any ideas and decided to try to defend himself. Though from what I've seen so far, I'm pretty sure even I could take him in a fight. With slow movements, I reached into my messenger bag and pulled out manila envelope that I had been given, waving it at him to make sure he could see it. "I'm just here to deliver this to you, 's all."

Well then. Jarvin's frown faded into his usual nonchalance as he walked towards the courier. "That's a bit creepy with y'timin', but alright." Repaying her courtesy, he kept his own hands visible and by his sides, holding out his right for the envelope. Someone else might've been worried about this still being an extended trap, but Jarvin had rather lost his patience for long-term self preservation after having his life sold. "Lesse what I'm supposed to be doin' now."

The envelope was unfolded, the contents inside drawing raised eyebrows from Jarvin. He chose to pull out the letter first, another irritated frown creasing his face.

"Changed, Underspire..." He glanced inside the manilla envelope, annoyance briefly turning to confusion before morphing back into even deeper irritation as he continued to mutter. "resigned, ha, that'll be a day. Don't even know what it is..." After finishing, dark brown eyes flickered up to reevaluate the courier.

"I hope you know you're comin' with me, Miss..." Jarvin prompted.

"Hold it," I say, hand held outward in the universal stop gesture. "What are we doing. The letter mentioned you'd tell me what we'd be doing and I'd like to know before I actually follow you."

Jarvin shrugged, a sigh gusting out into the alleyway. "Recoverin' somethin'. Nothin' explosive, I think, should be boring an' safe. Maybe. Underspire's never fun. Hang on, we're supposed t' use this button thing first. Car, it says." The keys fell into his hand, his thumb pushing down on the button mentioned in the letter. Immediately, the two could hear the roar of an engine springing to life a street away. It was an old, rough noise, not like the cars Jarvin had heard a few times while visiting the higher spires. Within seconds, a car pulled up onto their alley, the doors popping open just feet away from where they stood.

He stared at the keys in his hand, a smile twitching on his lips. "Nice. C'mon, I'll give you the letter on the drive. Y'can always use that throwing arm of yours to keep me honest."

"Hmm..." I mutter, trying to figure things out. On the one hand, the job definitely sounded easy enough. But on the other hand, jobs this easy tend to be, well, anything but. Then again, six grand of credits is six grand of credits. Best case, I pick up an object and help it get delivered like I always do. Worst case, I run away from a deal gone bad. Well, there was a possibility of me not getting away but with my record, I should be fine.

"Well, sure." I answered as I walked into the car, an amused grin beginning to spread on my lips. "But I'm warning you I've read plenty of books; so if this is some sort of long elaborate con where you end up as a hero then now would be the time to reevaluate your life decisions."

Jarvin slouched into the driver's seat, snorting at the thought. "Heroism makes my skin itch." He held out the package to his new partner. She seemed far too happy to be twisted up in something dirty, but he really didn't have the curiosity to bother trying to figure out why she was tagging along, beyond idle thoughts. "Should I be callin' you Courier, or d'you have somethin' else?"

"Well, " I started, before stopping. Giving him a name would make for a better working relationship but at the same time, giving people you've just met and are about to go into a potentially illegal situation might not be the best of ideas. "Actually, you can keep calling me Courier. That's fine. And you are...?"

"Jarvin Brinley. Nice meetin', Courier."