Southbound: Relics of the Past

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

Re: Southbound: Relics of the Past

#61 Post by y7h65 »

Spirit Side
Shooting the rest of the group a cheery faux salute, Ashley faced the stone doors as she smashed the massive blade into the ground before her.

"Don't worry, I'll be fine~!" She partially yelled, partially sung. "I mean, at a minimum, they won't be getting past me."

Even as she gave her reassurance, another hiss echoed throughout the room. This time, a set of lightning sheathed claws could be visible cutting into the stone. With a giggle, she lifted her blade and let it come to rest on her shoulder just as a massive horde of claws smashed through that same spot a moment later. As the group passed through the door, the sound of stone crumbling and metal meeting metal filled the room behind them, the sound of chimes underneath the din of battle. The clash of metal and chimes blended together into an almost macabre song, accompanied by the crack of lightning and the boom of thunder.

With that behind you, you of the group find yourself in a hallway not too dissimilar to the ones you had passed before. However, the fungus had lowered the floor a good meter and navigating the material was haphazard at best. For the most part, it felt like wandering through a particularly firm swamp with some areas being softer than others. However, rather than the feeling of sticky wetness that swamps left you, there was a mild tickling sensation instead as the stalks of countless mold colonies brushed against your skin where it is exposed.

The hallway itself, for the most part, looked similar to the interior of the room prior. However, the mold had spread to the walls as well and the entire passage was filled with a sick green-yellow glow radiating from around you. The black purple light could be seen pouring out of the door at the end of the hallway. There didn't seem to be any other thing in the hallway.

Halberd Side
As Ir entered the tavern, a chuckle could be heard in his head.

"Didn't think somebody like you would need a drink."

However, the instant Ir entered the building, the chuckling stopped. With a click of the tounge, the sound of the Halberd's voice muttering could be heard before they spoke again.

"There. In the back corner. That's where the magic I'm feeling is coming from."

Inn Side
The girl, for the most part, seemed to continue to sleep. She did seem a lot younger up close than from a distance though.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#62 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Valentine's face was twisted into a deep mask of disgust as he waded through the stalks of mold. Even with his thick leather, this entire place was repulsive. Mold should be vaporized on sight, not used as a defense against enemies, magic and mineral eating or not. Arms raised to his chest, he kept a glare trained ahead, testing the ground to ensure it would hold his weight for each step.

"When we get out, I'm coming back someday to torch this mold. The three of you can help." He promised, itching to reach the end of this unnatural hell. Naoko mumbled a vague assent into his neck, having buried her face into his hair upon realizing that the fungus covered almost all surfaces in the area.

"I would enjoy the use of a mask such as yours, Valentine." Allison commented, grateful that she had thought to have thin strips of leather woven into her clothing years ago, reducing the unsettling feeling of the fungus brushing against her. Her hair had been tied in a loose bun-there was no telling what could happen if this mold decided her magical origin was sufficient to begin consuming it.

The owner of the name stated shivered, no longer from their surroundings. "It's V, I said. And if you want one, spend years trying to learn how in a failed attempt to impress others. I have to renew a silly enchantment everyday, and I think I forgot to do that this morning."
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Furasian
Citizen
Location: Down in Florida where we don't participate in the month of december

#63 Post by Furasian »

A quiet sigh escaped the courier's lips as he followed behind Bill, his eyes still darting around between the faces they walked by. He was obviously listening to his partner and a distasteful look shot across his wolfish face in response to the druid's comment, one that could easily be compared to a child who's pride was being tested. "You know I can relax whenever I want to if that's what you're implying." He said, his confident tone fading to a more slightly nervous one when his comrade had already began giving him an indirect challenge by greeting the girl.

Upon looking back at the beastman it seemed like his heart skipped a beat, his eyes showing a hint of panic. That brief moment of fear was soon beaten down by the beastman's stubbornness and a sense of courage as he pulled off his rifle, propped it against the table, and sat down beside the man, clearing his throat and speaking to the stranger. He was still disregarding the fact this stranger was asleep and possibly unresponsive. "G'day miss.. Ehm.. I am Ansen Grayson and..." Eventually his voice died down and he sat there awkwardly before turning to face the druid, his ears flicking back and forth. "She is asleep. Why do we have to introduce ourselves again?" The courier who identified himself protested, shifting around where he sat so the weapons and accessories he concealed under his cloak could find themselves in a position more comfortable for him.
"It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." (President John F Kennedy)

Every message has a secret, it depends on how valuable that secret is that makes it different from the other secrets.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#64 Post by Ketzal »

"At least you have something to cover your face with..."

Isaak himself wasn't exactly having a grand old time either. His arms were already getting tired from holding up his blades, but the last thing he wanted to do was risk getting them stuck in this gunk.

As they waded through the mess, he had nothing really to occupy his mind except for what just happened. It hadn't taken long for them to be put in mortal danger, that was for sure. It made him curious about the others: most mercenaries he knew would've been focused on getting the hell out of there at this point. It's not as if they weren't men who honored their contracts, but he knew that they were about self-preservation first and foremost. If you couldn't handle it, you didn't, plain and simple. No coin was worth being dead.

Then again, Isaak wasn't working for coin. He was working for something he had been searching for for years now. That kind of motivation allowed him to face the dangers, as well as what might lie beyond. But what about the others?

After another minute, he cleared his throat. "I can't help but wonder something. Why did you two take this job? It must have been quite the reward that spirit was offering to want to continue with what we're dealing with, I'm guessing."

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#65 Post by y7h65 »

Spirit Side
The giant mold colonies in the hallway continued to shift slightly by itself, giving the hallway the appearance of a peaceful meadow. The most disgusting and disturbing peaceful meadow in existence but something akin to it.

Inn Side
"So that I know who you people are when I wake up?" Said the girl as she stretched forward, her back arching like a cat, before she sat upright in her chair. Large amber eyes blinked clear the last vestiges of sleep while a muffled yawn escaped covered mouth. A few moments after her clearing the sleep, she turned to address the two.

"So I'm Nu. You guys new?" She asked, her musical voice holding a hint of curiosity.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#66 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

Allison remained quiet at Isaak's question, waiting to see what their third member's reasoning was. She didn't have to wait very long.

"Why else? For pow-ow!" Valentine's cheery response was cut short by a firm slap to his forehead, courtesy of his shoulder-borne familiar. A rapid-fire whispered conversation ensued, although easily overheard by the others. "I thought you told me to tell the truth!" He hissed.

"Not when it's selfish, V!" Naoko retorted, trading her reproving pout for his honest confusion.

"Huh? But-ow! Okay, stop, stop! Fine!" Valentine cleared his throat, ignoring a raised eyebrow from Allison as they continued trudging onwards. "To be a better person?" He tried. When his uncertain attempt was met with a tiny hand pressed soothingly to his reddening skin, he nodded, continuing. "Definitely that thing. And not anything else. Because that would be selfish, if it wasn't. Which is immoral. And immorality is definitely bad."

"I see." Allison replied, chuckling at the sight of the far smaller familiar exerting such influence over her supposed master. "My motivations are far less noble, sadly. I love exploring, and I love new experiences. Spirits warning me about ominous portents fall into both categories. What of you, Isaak?"
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#67 Post by Ketzal »

Furrowing his brow at V and Allison's answers, he couldn't help but chuckle. "You people picked one hell of a trip for the sake of adventuring and self-improvement..."

With Allison's own inquiry, however, he paused. He didn't know if he wanted to tell them everything about why he was here, but there wasn't much reason to believe they would do anything malicious with the information at this point. Still, his experiences in the city had given him a certain degree of paranoia, and he wasn't about to lose that anytime soon.

"There's someone at home whose...ill. Really ill. Don't know what it is that they suffer, but it's something I've been trying to save them from for some time." He breathed a sigh, all those years of fruitless cure-searching coming back to mind. "The spirit's promised me a way to help that someone. I just hope she lives up to her end of the bargain."

He scoffed. "Provided that we live through this, anyway. I don't know about you lot, but I've got a pretty bad feeling about what may lie ahead."

Furasian
Citizen

#68 Post by Furasian »

((Very rushed. I'll edit later, yes?)

Ansen sat up straight when the one whom he thought he was asleep started actually responding to him, an evidently nervous smile creeping up on his face during the following moments where Bill started talking to this girl. While his partner spoke the courier sat back once more with an arm resting over the backboard of his seat, his eyes drifting about the inn once again. Something doesn't feel right.. Perhaps it is just my paranoia. He thought, almost blocking out the voices surrounding him.
"It is an unfortunate fact that we can secure peace only by preparing for war." (President John F Kennedy)

Every message has a secret, it depends on how valuable that secret is that makes it different from the other secrets.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#69 Post by y7h65 »

Spirit Side
As the group conversed, they finally managed to make it to the end of the hallway. Approaching the door, you feel a slight incline upwards as the field of mold colonies began to thin before disappearing entirely just before the entrance to the door, leaving you at roughly the same height as the ground before the mold lake. What really separated the ground before you and the ground you are currently standing on, however, was the almost ankle deep river of liquid that flowed forth from underneath the door. While it certainly smelt and felt like blood, there was something about its consistency and its appearance that simply felt off. From behind the door you hear a voice speaking. The voice is deep, every word and phrase echoing in your bones. The sheer sound of the voice itself sends a tingling sensation down your back.

"L̲̟̱̹͈͑͛ͭè̢̜͚̱̰͙͉̙̺̊ͭ̓ṫ̻̣͚͍̇̚ ̳͎͇̻͖́̉̅̚ḑ͙̊̐̓ͮͣ͑̆e͖̘͈̳͓ͪͣ̃̽a̞͌͞ţ̖̩̼͈̜̉̐ͤ͂̽ͫ͐͜h̷̡͉̹̙̩̠̭͈̳͆̉̑̈ͬ̅ ̯̙̜͇̰͉̲̈́̌̔̕hͬ͑͆̊̄͞͏̢̪ȩ̶̮̰̻̻͓̜̋ạ̴͈̟̮͔̣ͨ́ͧr̝̘̯͖̠͆̏͛͢͠ͅ ̱̼̖͙͕̑̑m̵͖̠̫̹̝̎̊ͭ͒̃̾̐ͯ́y͙̳̖͎̝̞͋̽͆ ̨̮̼̈̃ͯͬ̔͜p̹̉̌͑͢l̹̖̳̬̅̐́̀͠e̦͚͓ͨ̐̒ͥ̀̽a̶̙͖͍͈̥̺ͮ͛͊̉ͬͬͪ̚̕͢,̫̳̘͍̰̞͓̑ͫͨ͊͜͢ ̦̝̙̹̻̫̏̾̆́͆̎̄̚͘
̖͖̤͕ͫ̆l̡̹̭̮̫̞̯̗͆̒̽̆̋͒͒ẽ̲̠͙͕̠̜͔t̴̡̗͖̦̲̯͇̍ͯ̐̉̕ͅ ̸̟̘̪̰̤͓͉̒̿ͥͣͤ͐͋͟͟t̺̲̱́̍ͬ͒̈́h̴̭̪̬ͣ̐ͩ̇̒̃́̀͒̀ȩ̼̹̦̱͍̟̊ͥͤ̈́̐ͩ̏̽́ ̴̘̜̙͎͕͖̮ͩͅṣ̬̅ͮ͌̎̀̎̚͜p̵͈͙̯͑̋̃ͥ̿͟ị̜͚̰̪̼̂̈́̈́ͭ͆̄̅͂͟rͤ̐̄̌̿̋̿͏̬̭̮̭̱͢i̪̺̺̭̪̥͚͌͆͠t̵͕̞̬͎̳̔ͤ͊͢͢s̭̹̣̻̫͓̝ͮͬ͂͛̆͘ ̨̮̤̮͇̟̺͛͐ͫ̀͝r͉̻ͤͨ͌̀̓̀͝e͍͍̰̥͔̓̄́͗́͟ͅs̳̹̗̺̫̖͒̓͗̉ͨ͒̃̕ö̶̞̱̯̼́̊u̗͎̱̰͚ͦ̿͆͂ͥ̄̾̌̀́͢n̴̼̯͇̻̘ͥ̓d̴͙̼̆̐͟,̸͈̾ͦ͠
̵̮͙̤̗̫͖ͣ͗̊͒̔̋ͨ̇ă̸̸͖͖͙͖̺̑̎̊ͅṇ̣̰͉͈̭̭͉̾͗ͦ͘d̡̻̥̗̜͑̏͌̈́͐͛͊ ̡̩̖̺̹̬̬̰̙̦̍͒͆̓̿̓ģ̛̩̩̖̖̫͚̓͛́́ͨ̽ͅi̶̗̖̗̞̠̾̈́͌́̅̒́͘v͖̬͎͚̓͗ͩ͂͐̚͢͝e̷̡̳͙̝̥͖̒͑͋̒̎̚ ̶̴̱̬͙͗̽͒̄̅ͧ̈́ͫ͐͟m̱͎̪̏͂͛̓͊̋ê̸̦̰̱͓̜̹͑ͧ̈́͡ͅ ̦͖̫̆͆́͘s̸͉͎̜̼̖͋͗u̴̹̾p̷̜̤͔̬̳͈̎ͬͦ͐̏ͪ̊͊ͭ͟͞p͕̖̲̹͍̰͌͡o͇̯̘̼͇̪̩̫ͩ̔̊ͬ͌̑͝r̛̪̜̻̙͙̻̺̼̾͗̋̑̇̃́ͨ̾͡ͅt̶̺̠̠̲͈̲͎̣͆ͦͯͪ̋ͦ̃̀.̙̺̣̻̯̳̖ͤ̏͑͆̔̆̇̀̏ͅ
̰̞̍͂ͭͯ̈ͭ́̚͘I̼̯͕̻͈̠̒̎ ̪͉̝̯͕̣̖ͪ̓ͫͦ́ͮa̰̱̤͍̣̩͉͙͖͑͒̈̊̑̊ͬͪ̅͜m̪̯̠̝̖̗̰͔̭̓ͭ̏͘ ̡̧͚͓̯̳̋̐L̵̡̟̞̤̹͍͖̒ͨ͛̒̀̓̾ȉ̤̺͋͟-̝͖̺ͧ̑̈́̄͐̊̚͜͝͞K̠̖̪̠ͩ͋͡a̶̳̟̦̗̓ͬͬ̐͋ͥͤ͗́͜'͙͉̞̦̗̬̮̆̾ͭr̮̘̻̭͋̍̋̔͂̚͘e̜̽̍ͪ͊͆͑̀͆͜s̸̶͚̯̱̱͇̩̩̻̻ͧ̀ḩ̬̈ͬ̈́ͯ̐̄̔͒̎̕,̙͖̔̊ͩͮ̂ ̞̠͑̇
̛̩̯̃͛ͩͬͩ͑F̢̙̹̰̙̣̱̃̌ͯ̐̌̋͋i̡̎ͫ̊̏͒҉̜̘̠f̡̘͐ͩͣ̎̈͂̀́͜t̶̺̳̺͎ͨ͊ͧẖ̨̹̂ͮ̆͆͐̿̌̈́̚̕ͅ ̳͕̤̒̇ͯ͢͝o̖͙̟̹͖̓͊̈̑͆ͯ͟f̹̥̈́̔ ̢̟͔̗̲͈̔̂͝ẗ̠̼̠̹̯͚̑̂ͬ͗̆́̕h͕̝̣̭͇͂̂̀ͬ̀̚͝e̖̯̺̲̞̼͖͐̆̃͆̏͞ ̢̨͚̃Ḟ̵̠͕͙̦̀ͣ͑͢ị̷͕̱̼͖̫͕̄̋́̀r̛̮̼̪̰͕͌́e̷͖̘͇̭͇̜̹͇̓̔̑͌̈̓͝͡ ̰̞̬̻̔̒ͬ͐ͣͤ͞F̨̛̙̤͉ͥ̃̃̓̂͒̓͊̕o͎̙̥͙̩ͪ͑ͬ̑͝r͐ͯͮ̄҉͏͚̜̫͍̠̱͖͈g̶̦̞ͨͩͥ̆́é̬͍͈͙d̩̝͓̂ͨ̽͟,͙̮̣͍̾͛̃͐͐̍ ̤͖̗͓͚̖͛ͨ̄ͧͅ
̶̌̍̄͊̆̂͠҉͇͚̹̟͙C͚̬̲̻ͭ̽ͦ̍͡o̦͇͙͇̬̥̹ͯ̃̇ͭ̅̅ͬ͐ͩn̰̤̥̫̗̈̇ͦ̇͘q̨͓͖̥̜͈͖͌̍̆̉u̱̮̗̫̥͚͓̗̖ͥ̑ͬ̓̆̏̔̕͡eͣ̃ͥͮ̓ͯ́̚͏̘̘̬̳͚͔͕r̶͖͈̣̳͉͌̓̂͌͛ͫ́̚ô̵̭̳̭͎͕̤ͮ̐̅ͧ̈ͨ̒ͥ̀r̭̦̪̖̘͌̄ͮ̌ͪ̈́̃ͯͅ ̴̱̦͕͒͋́̑͆̐̐ͦ͑ͅo̪̩̞̺͉ͫ̎͐̎ͥ̀͢ͅf̶̞̝̤͌͌ͮ͢ ̙͇͙͓̮̪̱͖̂͊ͯ͞R̵̵̖̗̙̐̿̂̈̾͋̚͘e͇̪̱̹͎̟̳͍ͮ́'̵̨̪̲̫̜̯͍ͧ͊͛͒́l̳͙̺̯͉̞͉͒̏ȑ̷̮̻̻̲̫̪̀̇͞a͍̦̥̞̩͍͋̎̍̽̌̎̑͜͡n̯̘̱͚̙̘̤ͦ͑t̷̙͙̯̻̺͑̽̿̓͝͠a̷̹̥̱̞͔͖̹̦ͥͦ̈͋͌͜͡i̦͔͓̭̥̼͔ͧ͠n̵̢̟͈̳̥̭͕̣͛̎͑,̸͋̄̽̃͗̚ͅ ̵̯̼̻̂̾͑ͯ̊
̀͑̃̋̇̓͏̡̯̝̘͈̺̯̗à̷̴̝͉̝͌̏̽̏̉͋̿̎ͅṉ̅ͯͪ̒͊ͮͨd̠̲̥̼̭̟̝̍̔ͤͯ̄̅ ̢̖ͣ̀Ř̟̑͋̌͐̍̋͗ͅe̛͚͕̮͇͈̖̺ͯͪ̕a̤̙̫͆̽͋͐͛ͫͥ́̀v́̍ͣ͐ͫ҉̡͍̣̰ȩ͙̭̲̻ͤ͂͗̚r͖͕̱̣̂́͞ ͎͙̭͔̞̖͇͋͂̈́̿͜ͅoͩ̑͗҉̪̬̖̺̣̮̼̗̠f̵̞̞͉̏͆͆ͫ͑͌ͨ͊ ̩̭̐̄̍ͦ̓͜ͅt̅̍҉̨̮͙͉̻̝̻h̟͖̩͗̽̀ě̷͙̝ͧͧͦ͋̏̌̃̕ ̯͔̻̀̊͐͋K͙̰̬͔̻̹̻̆a̛̘̖̱͉͗ͬ̐̈͒̽͢bͦ͌ͫͨ̂͞͏̜͙eͤͫ̈̊̐͒ͪ̓ͤ҉͎e̻͖̥͎͇͎̲̓ͣͧ̒͂̂ͪ͢͝s̐ͬ͏̵̯̺̹͉͕̗̗h̨̹͉̅̐͋̋.̄̑҉̷͈̳̻͇̬͎͇͇͘
̸͖͖̈̈́͛͐Mͦ͛̂͛ͬ̐̂̓͏͏͈̖͞ỳ̴̖̣̰͓̤̠͕̖̿̽͘ ̧͍͓̩̼̟̘̪͚̊͋̂͛̾̀ͅŗ̣͈̫̤̱̗̆͝i͚̼͊͌̈g̛̳̳͖̹͈̻ͭ̾ͩ̾̉̈́͝ḧ͉̟͖͇̱̣ͨ̅t̃ͭ́̎͒̍̄ͫ҉̜̖͙͍̗ ͇̬̻̬̳̣ͮț̥̯͓͉͓̗̤ͨ͌̾̏͐̕͟ŏ̲̭͓̳̮̞̺̰̈́͆̅̂̅̕ ̧͇̦̓̅͂̎ͤͥ̉̀ĺ̷̛̟̤͓̹̮̭͛̂̾ͩ̎̏̚i̠͇̘͑͑ͯf̨͙͍̤̬̪͚̦̣ͪͬ͋ͫ͢e͙̥͔̪͍̋ͤ̅̽ͤ̾ ̗̯̩͓̞̖̾́ͬͭ͐͑͗̏ͧẉ̸̭̹̝͐̏͑ͭ̔͐̑̂i̡͙̖͎̻͊́͞ẗ̨̰́̄ͪͦͫͅḩ̷̺̹͇̮͎̯̘͊̑̅ͥ̈́ͫ͒̓ͅo̶͉̊̽͒̈́̋̈̀̾͢ū̩͇͚̹̠͕͍̤̼̽t͍͉͈̗͍̜̂̐̃̊̽̄̔ ̢̺̳̝̭̝̣ͪ͂ͣẻ̵͓͔̗̰̣̦̗̪̣̐̏ͮ̽͘n̞̝̟̣̍ͤ̈͡d̛̙̣̙̝͍̦̽͋̒ͮ̄ͨ͝
̨̞͚̼͑͜͡ͅh̷̝͖̥̦̙͇ͪͣ̉͟ą̜̳̏͒̈͠s̉͆̏̏͑̔ͨ͛͏͚͍̗̹̮ ̷̷̡̰̹͈̓̇̀̓b̵̢͚̬̜̬̉͂͊͌ͤ͋̚̚ḙ̹̤̩̅ͥͭ̄͆ḙ͉̠̹ͯ̎ͮn̛͚͍̠͚̜̬̥ͣ̚͞ ̡̧͍̭̠͓̟͈̣̄ͥ͂ͤ́ͣͭ̾ġ̦̘͍̠r̴̛̮͚̠̂͋̋͟a͍̼͆̄̆́͜͞n̢͓͔̪̟̼̔ͫt̗̩͔̦͉̣͉͙͊̒ͥ̀̕è̸͖̳̤ͭ̓͗ḓ͕̟͚̙͖͙̜ͪ̕͞ ̨̰͎̞̲͉̜̪̫̏͛ͫ̽͑̎̚t͔̜͇̦͗̓͛́ͧ͌̂ͣͅo̞ͥ͂ͩ͂̒͛̔ͭ̇̕ ͉̖̫̺̹͉̹͗̂͋ͯ͡m̴̸͓̗̯͔͉̩̓̄̀̆͊ͮͦė̥͎̖̰̈́
̨͚̏̅̓̔̆̌̓͞b͓̟͔̦ͧ̎͗̎́̚͞͡y̜̖̮͚͙͊̑̏ͧͪ ̵̨̺͉̻̒ͤ̆ͭͤ͂ͪ̍̃t̵̫̹̩̗͈̘̻̂̈́̀ͣh͕̹̞͍̎͛̉͢͞e͚̳̺̱͑̂̃͑ͧ̇̄̿ ͉̪͙̆͂͒̋́͘b̤̥̓̏͋͒̏̍͞͡l̰̯͖̦̩̤͇͇ͣ͌̓̽̀ͥ̉ͮ̚ͅo͖̲̥̹̔̈̑̂̆̚o̧͈̻̹ͧd̛̯̯̹̖̤̟͓͉ͥ̃́̀ ̻̪̖̤͕͎͎̑͗̒͘͞ͅo̻̻͈͔̺̠̦̐ͬ̆̈́̌f̛̙̯̟͎ͨ̀ ̨̫͑͒͟t͐͋҉͎̱͍̥̠h̠̦̥̰̜͔̱ͨ̒́̒ͪo̻̲̜͗u͌͏̛̩̣̟̩̳̞̟͝ṡ͉̱̖͐ͧ̑̑͠͝a̧̡̜̯̪̺̣͛͞ņ̷̯̘̹͓͇͚̈́̂ͭͨd̩͉͈͔̼͕͔͗̽̐̃̊ͪ̑s̷͙̖͕͍̣̽̈́̓̈́͗̎̚͜.̸̸̦̱͕̫̹͖͚̔
ͥ͡҉͇̪M̰̜͓̣̙͚̹̼͌̐ͦͬ̓̋̌̄͢ͅa̴̮̭͑̃͐ͧ̚y̯̺̫̼̝͉̐ͨ̓͟͡ ̻̟̲͕̩̤̥̫̎ͪͦ̅͒͂m̸̮̲̿ͣͧ͐̓͡ẙ͕̫̫͋̊ͬͪ͗̓̕ ͉̼̳̜͔̜̫̱͈ͬͭͣͤ̐͛̏ͥ̀s̳̘͖̏̀ͮ̃́͞o̶̢̤̫̙͈̬̯̺̎̀ͫͪ̇ũ̩̥̥ͣ̽͘͞l̗̠̖̻̖͐ͣͯͭ̋̔ͦ͟ ͕̩̩͇͈̐ͧͭ͂̔̍ͮ͒́b̳̲̻̰ͩ̔̊ͬ͗ͬͯ̚͜͟͝ë̷̝̖̤̤ͥ͡ ̷̟̔ͫͧͣͧ̚͝m̶̫̩̤ͣͪo̸̤̖̺ͤ̿͒͆́̚͢v̢̻͖̦̻̲̜̓ͯͤ̈́͝e͎̘̩̓̎̿̾ͭd̡̩̬̳̝̫̭͇̞̑͆͒̈́ͩ,̨͉͐̇̅́ͭ͡͞
̠͈̼̤̹͐mͣ̏̾̆̓͡͏̤̭̝̩͓ą̸̘̠̱͌͊͑̐ͥ̒̿̄y͇̫̪̬̝̙̻̍ͨͨ̀ͬ̀̇͐͠ ̻̲͖̮̪̼̝̉̎̊̇̇̒̀͟ͅͅi̜͛́ͧ̉̾ͦt̢̤͖͓̮̫̩̙͍ͯ̀ͮ̓ͬ͛̎̋ ̹̼̓ͣͪ̽̕f̯͈͇̺̞͉̓͛̈ͥ̚͠î̢͔̙͖͎͙͜ñ̷̢̫̮̫̺̠͕͎͌́ͫd̒ͣ̏́ͮͬ̃̐̚҉̝̱̣͢ ̵̻͎̖̩͓ͪͣ̊̚å̡͎͖̥͈͢ ̷̸̛̬̱̮̇ͫ͑͊ͦ̉̐͒n̹͉̐ͧͣͨ̈̄̓̚e̮̊̍w̷͊ͧ͡҉̩̮̻̠̯̗͇ ̴̧̣̖͚̼̩͙ͯ͆̿̆͜ͅş͉̰̽̆h̡̤̗̗̖̹͒̑ͩ̀e͙͍͈̫͉̬̖ͪ̌ͧ̎ͦ͟ļ̡̘̜̲̲̼̼̊̃̀̔l̴̖̝̦͍̼̍̔͛̚͡,̥̯̰̝͍̙ͫ͛̃̐͋̎͒͂
̡͇̟̞͓̺͉̯͙͒̊ͯͥ͛a̶̡̫̮̤̻̟̫͑ͅn̨̡̲̘̑ͧ̀̓͑͌͌͟ͅd̨̜͉͍̦̹̟̯̈̏̉ͯ ̯̰̙̪̣͉͛̔͂̈́m̧̨̧̻̯̪̩̱̣̯̳͂ͨ̉̅ͭ̉̔̀â͑̇͏̰̜͕y̩͈͚͑ͥͮ ̢̨͖̱͔̟͇̩̎ͭ̌͗́͋̋̓ͫì̝̺͖͙͎͎̖̒̈́͘͟t̡̠͓̬̙̥̝̝̼̏̅͗͋͒̑̈́̚ ͍͆̀ͣͦ́ͧ͝ë̥̳̝͍̏̆n̢͎̉̌̈́͢d̖̺̟ͧ̆ͧ͛̿̓͊͞ư̓ͣ́̐̽̎̂̏҉̝̠̼ͅr͇̞̙̤̬̝̱ͯ̅̑̀e̴͙̟̫̙̥ͧ͑ͥ͂ͪ̋̕ ̳̘̰͔̤ͩ̾͐ͥͥ̒̓ͬ͟͡ḛ̶̺̺̣̲̩̀ͧ͠t̊́̌̄ͧ҉͙͚êͮ͂̑̓́͏̳͉͉͚͚̮̻̀ŗ͇̪͙̘̾̒̌̀̀̅ͭ̓̈́̀n̼̮̘̫̣̥̮͗ͤͧ̂͋͂ͬͨ͠ą̙̲̖̠̳̽̄ͫͪͣ̋̔͟͞l̡͓͎̳̠͖̙̓̒̇̕.̟̟̝͕̇̒ͮ̈́ͣ̇͊ͦ
̴̞̊̍̓͠͝
̴̺̟͓̂̎̈́̌͝
"

Fortunately, whatever the voice is saying is beyond your understanding. It sounds ominous even in it's untranslated state and you get the distinct feeling that it is for the better that you do not know what they are saying. You notice that after a while, the voice begins the same chant.

When you decide to enter, the first thing that draws your eye is the truly massive roughly humanoid steel coloured skeleton splayed out on a massive black throne and illuminated by a massive glowing crystal chandelier mounted in the ceiling of the room. The skeleton is easily eight meters tall and three meters wide and could almost be mistaken as being a giant human's skeleton were it not for the fact that it was made of metal and that the skull, equally proportioned, was a massive canine skull.

Spread through out the room were several corpses of various humanoids in various states. Most of them were little more than heavily damaged skeleton's with heavily desiccated skin still attached to the frame, apparently preserved by the dry still air of the caverns. From what you can tell, most of them appeared to have been thrown into the wall where they then fell down to their final resting position. However, situated in front of the throne and skeleton was a rather well preserved man. The man's corpse was crouching on one knee, using a truly massive greatsword almost five feet in length to keep itself up. The massive greatsword had multiple glowing orange and yellow circular runes and magical symbols floating around it that, for one reason or the other, seemed as if they had been eaten away by acid in some places. A massive burn scar of melted stone began at the corpse's feet and etched forward, cutting into the throne and, from what you can see, severed whatever had once surrounded the massive skeleton in half.

Looking around the room you notice that while a massive glowing ritual circle was drawn around the man's corpse, there was nobody actually in sight. The circle itself was the origin of the purple glow as well as the miasma or blood but whoever created it is nowhere to be seen. Notably, the voice that had echoed through the door had stopped and the source could not be found. The only thing odd was a separate three foot long longsword that had, apparently, been forced into the ground between the massive throne and skeleton and the other larger greatsword. Shooting from the gem on the pommel of the longsword were several bolts of purple and black energy that slowly but surely eroded the runes on the larger greatsword.

Inn Side
The girl, Nu, covered her mouth slightly as she giggled at Bill's response, an endearingly feminine act. Leaning in, Nu propped her head up in her hands as she glanced at them with bright yellow eyes, a look of amusement and mischief reflecting within them in the mid-afternoon light.

"Well," The girl explained, waving one finger in front of her face as she spoke. "What I'm trying to ask is are you new to the city of Rune? We get a lot of visitors and travelers but you two are, well, a unique pair. I mean, we had a guy with a kitsune summon a while back but this is the first time I've seen someone walk into town with an actual fox, you know?"

Nu giggled again, a look of happy nostalgia on her face as she apparently recalled a humorous memory from her past.

"In any case," She continued as the remnants of a smile remained visible on the corners of her lips. "I take it something brings you to the city of Rune? Everyone that comes here has a story and, well, I like to listen to them all. For instance, would you believe that the last guy I met had-"

Before Nu could begin her story, a cloaked person slid into their table and quickly said "Hey, look, I'm just hiding from someone, and I'll be out of here in maybe thirty seconds. Sorry for barging in, I ju-" in a growly voice before anyone could object. Almost as quickly as the person began to spoke, they were interrupted by a group of other near-humans with slightly feline like features entered the inn, looking about as if they were searching for someone.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#70 Post by Myperson54 »

Come midday, they had already found her.

Sal skidded around a corner and sprinted off down the narrow alleyway before her, scattering the assorted curios and wares of the market stand she'd just ploughed through. How did they find me? She wondered for a brief second, then pushed it out of her mind. She was getting out of this, regardless of how it started.

A very feline Rugaden came stumbling around the corner behind her, demolishing the stall she'd tripped over only seconds before. He shouted something indistinctly between the obvious curses. "No!" shouted Sal, Just leave me alone! She didn't care what he said, she just wanted to lose him. She flung items off market tables as she went, ignoring the cries of outrage from the various traders and merchants she passed. Chancing a look behind her, she could see that her pursuer - Wessen, that was his name - had nimbly avoided all the obstacles in his way, and he was gaining on her! Suddenly, Sal had the wind knocked out of her as she slammed headlong into a rather rotund orc. "Hey, watch i-" "Sorry, can't talk, gotta go!" She got her composure back in an instant and rounded another corner into a main thoroughfare.

Banners and drying clothes alike hung between the tall buildings of this street, as did a multitude of odours Sal decided to ignore. The sounds of sales and haggling ringing in the air, she pushed it all aside as she ran. Unfortunately, the crash was enough for Wessen to gain on her dramatically, and he now followed by only ten paces or so. Were he to leap... Sal shook her head. He'd catch her then, but he would never risk it here. There were too many people watching, and he would likely get snarled in all the ropes hung above the street. Wessen put on a burst of speed and tried to grab hold of Sal's axe, yelling, "Sal, please, we can discu-" She ducked into a roll and stuck out a hand, materializing a faint shield in front of his right foot. He tripped and fell ungracefully as the other members of the trading caravan caught up to him. "I'm sorry, I really am!" Sal yelled back at them, "I just need this!" With that, she snatched an overhanging bedsheet off a clothesline above her and let it float down to the ground. When it finally revealed the street again, she had already turned into an alleyway.

Sal slowed down just around the corner to catch her breath. She needed to find a better place to hide than that crate of apples where she was found, and quickly. As she jogged down the path before her, she noticed an inn where she could hopefully blend in. She snatched a cloak (Rather smelly and large - She'd rather not guess who it belonged to) from a passing window and slung it over her shoulders, moving her axe to her hands as she did so. This had better work... The other Rugaden were just coming near as she ducked into the inn.

She slipped in quickly and quietly, expert eyes scanning the room for a free space. Thank Fhyrrun it's crowded in here... I should be able to hide easily... Aha! She spotted one free space in the corner of the inn, a table at which a rough-looking bearded fellow, a wolf, and some other human female were sitting. She pulled the cloak's hood over her head, and in one deft movement, she grabbed a mug of beer off the bar's counter, sat at the table, and hid her axe underneath it. "Hey, look, I'm just hiding from someone, and I'll be out of here in maybe thirty seconds" she said in a growly voice. "Sorry for barging in, I ju-"

She was cut off by the appearance of Wessen and the other two caravanners searching for Sal. They strode around the inn's bar slowly, taking in every aspect of every person seated there. For what seemed like an eternity, Sal sat underneath the hood, hoping they wouldn't try and search more actively, or worse, that her table companions wouldn't rat her out.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#71 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Reillus found his way through the crowd and through the city gates before the back of his shirt was pulled and he was snatched into the air by a massive guard.

"What are ya doin', runnin' through that crowd, wee lass?" he asked, laughing intensely.

"That's 'lad' to you, giant!" Reillus yelled as he stabed the great mountain of a man's wrist with his rigging knife. He winced as it slid out. Poor guard could've left him alone. He continued at a run into the heart of a city, toward an inn. He hoped his friend would be there, like she had promised.

Reillus almost gagged as a putrid stench filled his nose. He plugged it with a clothespin from a nearby drying line and turned right onto a large street. There, a few buildings down, the inn. He made his way to the entrance but was cut off by a group of three robed cat-men. She ducked beneath one of them and slipped inside, crouching by a table where sat a wolf, a man, a girl and a robed figure. Reillus backed up a bit before feeling something fluffy beneath his boot. He looked down to see that he had just trampled the wolf's tail.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Furasian
Citizen

#72 Post by Furasian »

Ansen turned his head back to Nu with a slight chuckle as he listened to her, his ears doing a few flicks throughout her explanation. While he gave them his ears and kept his mouth shut, he couldn't help but drift off into a thinking stage once again, his canine-like tail slowly swaying left to right under the cover of his cloak. She is a rather open one.. Kind of like Billy. I could see those two spending the whole night chatting each other up if nothing convinces that man t- The courier's train of thought was eventually knocked off the rails once again when another stranger made an appearance, this one being more panicked than your typical character in an inn.

Within moments everything had changed, and the courier's mindset returned to that typical on-edge, be alert routine. His eyes started drifting once more, the beastman taking note of Billy drawing his weapon and the scent of blood drifting through the air. He was already looking around the room, his dominant right hand slowly sneaking under the covers of his cloak to find a knife in case things got ugly. Silence will only make us stick out and let these strangers have an easy find. That assumption immediately caused Ansen to try and display a smile and speak out once more, his hands seeming to never leave the cover of his cloak.

"So, Nu! I guess it wouldn't hurt to give you a bit of my past, no? Do you wish to know why I am here or what convinced me to come here? I don't think I have the time to give you every detail of my struggle but I can give a little piece of it." The furred creature said, a slight chuckle escaping him while his crimson eyes looked across the table at the lady he spoke to.

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#73 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

(Valve Time, Go)

Valentine stared at the runic circle, thin eyebrows rising and contracting in turn as he tried to divine the meaning of the symbols. It certainly wasn't his branch of summoning, so that left...a depressingly large amount of possibilities. He rubbed his creased forehead, Naoko providing mutually silent incomprehension.

"So that..." Valentine's waving hand encompassed the purple circle and longsword, both emitting the same glow as they had seen earlier along the crystal lattices. "We should do something, right? I have no idea what I'm looking at, but we should probably break it before it does...whatever it's trying to do."

"That longsword seems familiar, somehow." Allison frowned at the bolts of energy corroding the runes on the larger greatsword. "Shall we disrupt the circle, or remove the longsword?"

Isaak stared at the scene before him with a grimace. It wasn't like he wasn't expecting for there to be some crazy malicious magic involved in this quest, but he especially didn't like the look of this.

"I'm not partial to doing anything with this...whatever it is." He furrowed his brows. "But if that sword in the middle is the problem, I'd rather not touch it. And how do we know the circle isn't doing something to keep some black magic or whatever contained?"

"The spirit said something was happening to her artifact, and that sword is definitely doing something I don't like to the other one." Valentine took a few cautious steps towards the originator of the purple-black streaks, running a hand through Naoko's hair absently as he continued speaking. "You don't really find ominous chanting and disturbing fluids around a purification ritual."

Isaak pursed his lips. V had a point; more likely than not, that longsword was the source of the spirit's problems, and they would need to do something about it. He didn't even want to go near the damn thing, but if he wanted the reward, they would need to do something about the sword.

He sighed. "Fair enough, but I still don't like this. My guess is that we need to get rid of this circle first. I don't know what it'll do to us if we try to cross it." He looked back at the sword. "I don't know what to do with the sword, but I don't think we should actually touch it if we can help it. Is there some sort of spell that either of you can work to move it?"

The white feather in V's hat wiggled about as he shook his head, frowning. "I don't know what any of the runes mean. Perhaps I could make a larger circle, but I don't want to use my blood, and I don't have anything to make my own carvings. Not without a mess."

Allison smiled, holding up a slim hand. "It's good that you have me, then." Red sparks popped and crackled at the tips of her fingers. "Tell me what to do and I'll draw it out in the stone."

"Oh." V blinked. "That's nice." A finger was thrust in Isaak's direction, his other hand ushering his familiar to stand near the other man. "If we start turning purple and evil, do your hero things and get me back to normal."

"W-wait, what? Me?" Isaak did a double-take as the fox girl came over by his side. "Hold on a second, what are we doing here? what do you mean by 'purple and evil'?"

Valentine shrugged. "You know, if I start turning purple and saying things about enslaving the world." If the idea bothered him he showed little sign of it, pulling a small copper coin out of his pocket after a second of searching. "I don't have any room in my head for something else telling me what to do, so a good hearty speech about friendship should do the trick."

"Or you can throw me at his head!" Naoko offered cheerfully.

"Definitely the speech, please." V added, bringing his right hand back. The coin gleamed between his fingers. "Let's see if the sword reacts to movement."

Allison took pity on Isaak, clearing her throat for attention. "Valentine, perhaps you should tell us what kind of carvings you wanted to make first, and why."

"Hm? Oh." Down came the hand, and up came a sheepish explanation. "Sorry. Not used to explaining. I'm going to make something to hopefully keep anything, like the owner of the creepy voice, from appearing and killing us all. For that, I need a big carving." He paused. "It...might be experimental."

While Naoko nodded sagely, Allison looked less confident in this plan. "I think we should prepare to fight, then. Isaak, would you prefer to use your bow or your other weapons?"

He stared at the sword at the center a moment before answering. "I'll have my bow at ready. Might as well try and shoot whatever comes at us before trying to go close range..."

Isaak pulled an arrow out as he spoke, nocking and readying the bow for anything that was to happen next. He wasn't sure what, if anything, might happen, but he didn't want to be caught unprepared. V's comments about possibly being corrupted didn't help put him at ease, though he imagined being possessed would be more of a worst-case scenario. I can only wonder how often that scenario happens on little journeys like these though...

He nodded to both V and Allison, making sure that the kitsune was close by his side. With everything ready, he aimed the bow at the center of the circle, concentrating, yet unfocusing his eyes. If anything came for them, there was no telling where it would come from, be it inside the circle or outside it. Keeping his vision spread would make it easier to notice anything that would want to attack them. Except for behind us...I suppose we'll have to rely on our little fox friend for that part.

The coin was tossed and met with no reaction. Valentine shrugged. "Not feeling evil so far. Allison, you...I mean, we'll go next." He amended hastily after a glance at his familiar. The two approached the larger of the two swords with cautious steps, both drawing up their power to react at a moment's notice.

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#74 Post by y7h65 »

Spirit Side

As the pair passed close to the center of the chandelier a massive shadow suddenly became visible on the ground right on them. Dodging with scant milliseconds to spare the sound of something heavy and metal smashing into the ground at high speeds echoed throughout the room, the impact force actually leaving a small crater in the floor. Bringing itself to a full standing position, the object made itself clear as a massive black armored titan that was easily seven and a half feet tall. The glowing red eyes from behind the helm glaring balefully at the two as black mist swirled around them, their ax still embedded into the ground.

Almost as soon as the titan had finished standing the massive chandelier smashed into the ground as well, the various crystals and precious metals that made up the frame of the decoration cracking, bending, and shattering on impact; the impact filling the room with a cacophony of noise not too dissimilar from that of typhoon or hailstorm. The decoration had effectively formed a circular wall easily three meters tall and roughly twenty meters in diameter which trapped Allison and Valentine along with the Titan and Greatsword.

The titan, with one hand, hefted the massive ax and let it come to a rest on their right shoulder. As the harsh sound of metal slamming onto metal rang out, the mist around the being dispersed and an incredibly powerful magical presence could be detected, even by those not attuned to such things. Though the exact method it was detected may differ, it didn't change it's nature and presence: the being simply radiated a presence of rot and death. The titan's hand gripped the shaft of the ax tightly, the sound of leather being squeezed squeaking slightly as the titan spoke.

"It appears," The titan began, voice echoic, deep, and resonant in your bones. "That this building has a rat problem on top of an ant infestation. Most unsatisfactory. Though it brings to question how you may have survived and found this place, trivialities such as that can wait until you are dead."

With that apparently serving as their warning the massive titan dashed straight at Valentine, clearing the distance in a little over a second with their ax already at the ready. The titan brought the axe down on Valentine with speed unnatural for an armored man of their size, the weapon sounding almost like a thunderclap in the room.

Meanwhile, outside of the Circle, it became clear very quickly that the longsword had stopped in it's attack. Rather than the occasional snap crack of energy being emitted, the longsword fell silent as the chandelier blocked it's line of sight and, apparently, attack to the greatsword. Despite this, the longsword still occasionally let loose a bolt of energy that managed to crack or shatter some of the crystals that the light fixture was made of.

Inn Side
As the group discovered Rellius among their midst, the group of Rugaden continued to advance ever closer towards their table. To compound problems, at least two or three of the tables that had talked to the Rugaden had pointed in the direction of the group and now one of the three, a male judging by poise and gait, were headed in their direction.

Suddenly, the doors of the inn were pushed aside with such force that they smashed into the wall with a loud boom and kicking up a small dust cloud. Walking in with long confident strides was a heavily armored man approximately six and a half feet in height and equipped with a rather ornate longsword and shield followed by approximately eight men and women in lighter armor armed with either a longsword or spear. Before they could do anything the inn flew into a frenzy of whispers and gasps with many phrases such as "What are they doing here?" and "The twelfth division? Here? [censored]." being audible throughout the establishment. Nu herself glanced over at the newcomers before whispering towards the rest of the group.

"Oh man," She started, her voice soft and just loud enough for those around the table to hear. "Somebody messed up. Let's hope it's none of you."

As the inn flew into a frenzy of shock, the armored man raised his fist to his chest in a slow but precise move. A quiet ringing noise was emitted but for a second, before the sound of eight feet smashing into the ground in unison drowned it out as the eight men and women behind him snapped to attention instantly at the sound of the noise. The noise managed to be sharp enough to cut through the din of the inn and force all into silence as the inn seemed to stare at the newcomers partially in fear, partially in dread.

"Now that I have your attention," The armored man began, his voice soft and calm considering the situation. "It has come to my attention that someone in this district has assaulted a guard." At this, the inn once again broke into hushed whispers only to be silenced by the armored man slicing through the air with his arm. "As some of you may know, we are the twelfth guard division, the Knights of Rune. Simply put, we're the ones who put any uppity sellsword or uppity mercenary in their place. Since there is only one reported assailant reported running in this direction, we are asking for your cooperation while we search this establishment. You may continue as you were before but any suspicious activities will be stopped and investigated. Do you understand?"

Murmurs of agreement were uttered and the armored man simply nodded his head to signal for the men and women behind him to spread out and begin searching the premises, starting from the front to the back. The armored man personally stood in front of the door, blocking off that exit and entrance. As for the Rugaden, the one that was headed towards the table of the Group before continued onward while the other two hung back, apparently waiting for the group of guards to leave.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#75 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Reillus gulped. He did not expect this. Quickly wiping his blade on a handkerchief and stuffing it in his pocket, he looked away from Bill.

"Ask them," he said in a hushed whisper. "Well, nevermind, they'll tell it to you wrong." He ignored whatever look he would surely get from Bill and slowly stood up, lowering his hood. He pulled out his knife and set it on the table, as well as all of his other weapons. With them, a small note fell from his hand. It was folded neatly, and on the outside, it read "To Belasandra".

"You can have these," he whispered, barely audible. "The blade's clean now, don't worry." Reillus gulped again. It wasn't quite as worth it as she said..

"Hey!" he shouted. "It was me what stabbed that rapist!"
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.