VIP Roleplaying Board announcement

Play around with roles and whatnot in here, I suppose.

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

VIP Roleplaying Board announcement

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

The VIP Roleplaying Board:

In a forum of 7000+ members, there’s going to be some bad roleplayers, and some of them will want to roleplay. I’ve experienced—countless times—how one rogue roleplayer makes a whole thread go haywire. I’m sure anyone who’s been in more than one RP has experienced that as well.

The VRP board is a hidden, invite-only roleplaying board. Our goal is to eliminate, in our specific instance, the combat-centric, adolescent power-play trend that so many roleplays descend into. We do this by sieving out obvious godmodders and otherwise poor roleplayers by an invitation process. Anyone who wants to sign up for the VRP boards should say so on this thread. You will be given a situation by a moderator, who acts as a recruiter, in a timely manner (This will be either me, JediGuy, or Sable Dove). This situation will be ubiquitous; it should not imply an especially fantastic universe. You are unlikely to find yourself in Sheogorath’s realm of oblivion or in the middle of a Dyson Sphere. You’ll be somewhere nondescript, a forest, a mountaintop, or a city (the culture, technology, etc. of this city you will, of course, infer on your own)

An example that we will not necessarily use would be:
Kilroywashere wrote:You find yourself severely wounded deep in the swamps. As you slowly limp your way to safety, you watch as massive crocodiles slowly enter the water when you draw near. Please provide a brief description of your character, and then write up not only how you got yourself into this mess, but how you intend to get yourself out of it."
The object of this situation is not to overcome it easily. It is not to overcome it efficiently; it is not to strike a badass pose. It is to give us drama. You aren’t expected to give us very much; in fact, any at all should be good enough. If your situation is being thrown into a pit of crocodiles and your solution involves karate, you are probably doing it wrong.

If the situation would be too easy for your character—if you’re Bear Grylls in the above example—let us know. If the character you use for the situation defeats it easily, find a different one. We need conflict. We won't send you "you're stuck in a babies crib," we'll probably say "you're suddenly in the middle of a barfight."

Once they respond, take their response and place it in an invitation thread. It doesn’t have to be great; just good enough for government. Once we’ve all taken a quick census (if we even need to), we’ll contact you back. Chances are, you’ll do fine.

If anyone wants entry to the VRP board, please say so here and one of the recruiters (Me, Jediguy, or Sable Dove) will respond.
VERY, GOOD

neosgàthach
Merchant

Re: VIP Roleplaying Board announcement

#2 Post by neosgàthach »

Although I'm not well versed in the RP community here, I have to say this is a great idea... I may have to join in later on.

(not an application)

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#3 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

We will be happy to have you with us. :)
VERY, GOOD

bigro
Grand Templar

#4 Post by bigro »

hmm...Question time (if that is alright)

1) Once in would you be able to be kicked out for OP'ing or some such. (you know what you don't want) Or would it be a once in always in sort of thing.
2) If yes for 1), then how would you go about it? would it be a three strikes scenario? or would it be some sort of "if people complain too much you're done" or perhaps even a case of "if enough concern is raised us mods 'n' stuff (you know who you are) will discuss it a little and make a decision" sort of deal?
3) Would previous experience be a factor in judging people on getting in? So if they have not at all been in any RP's that you can see but DO pass your test, would it be a case of "your all good to come back after you have some experience in our boards" sort of thing? Or would you not judge on this.
4) what would happen if there was someone that was notorious for combat-centric characters or some other undesirable feature but they passed your 'test' thing. Just asking because there are a few people here that would fall in this category methinks. (dunno if they would apply though)
5) If one was to fail your judgement drastically, how long till they may apply again? I'm thinking a month to a fortnight, just want confirmation :P Also, would you get more than one chance in a judgement? So more than one go at it?
6) If 1) was a yes, would you be able to get back in? and if so how so? Or would it be a case of tough [censored]?
7) Am I asking too many questions?

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#5 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

bigro wrote:hmm...Question time (if that is alright)

1) Once in would you be able to be kicked out for OP'ing or some such. (you know what you don't want) Or would it be a once in always in sort of thing.
2) If yes for 1), then how would you go about it? would it be a three strikes scenario? or would it be some sort of "if people complain too much you're done" or perhaps even a case of "if enough concern is raised us mods 'n' stuff (you know who you are) will discuss it a little and make a decision" sort of deal?
3) Would previous experience be a factor in judging people on getting in? So if they have not at all been in any RP's that you can see but DO pass your test, would it be a case of "your all good to come back after you have some experience in our boards" sort of thing? Or would you not judge on this.
4) what would happen if there was someone that was notorious for combat-centric characters or some other undesirable feature but they passed your 'test' thing. Just asking because there are a few people here that would fall in this category methinks. (dunno if they would apply though)
5) If one was to fail your judgement drastically, how long till they may apply again? I'm thinking a month to a fortnight, just want confirmation :P Also, would you get more than one chance in a judgement? So more than one go at it?
6) If 1) was a yes, would you be able to get back in? and if so how so? Or would it be a case of tough [censored]
7) Am I asking too many questions?
1 and 2: As of yet we do not have a set policy on excising members and hope that we will not need one. Our hope is just to root out the most incompetent players. We hope we can just localize the issues and politely ask people to keep their instincts in check.
3: The test is both lenient and all-encompassing, board-specific RP experience will not be necessary.
4: If they prove they can go without combat-centrism, they're fine. If they can't, they're not.
5: I would work it out with the individual recruiter, but the likely range is 4-8 weeks.
6: If someone's repeatedly doing candidly silly things and acting like a general roleplaying novice, we'll leave them in the kiddy pool
7: No, just the right ones. The policy is very loose as of yet since we're just getting off the ground.
VERY, GOOD

bigro
Grand Templar

#6 Post by bigro »

Oh goody, Just making sure I'm not beating my head against a wall here.

Anywho, I'll give it a shot even just out of curiosities sake.

D3ADKi113R
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by D3ADKi113R »

You know, this is a great idea, I'm all in for this one.
Where to find me:
FA: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/d3adki113r/
Discord: SnowyLoli#4512 (let me know you're from the forums!)

Twippit
Grand Templar
Location: At a table top in a remote part of WA playing a high-stakes game of strip DnD

#8 Post by Twippit »

I have a few questions as well...

1) Are you suggesting that we have to have a set character, one we must use for whatever RP we enter into? I personally prefer making a new character for every RP -someone who makes sense in that 'world'. For instance, I wouldn't use a fox anthro for a strictly Pokemon-based RP, nor would I use a hobbit for an anthro RP.
2) Let me preface this question with a clarifying statement; I don't believe any of the current judges are guilty of this. However, this sounds like it could quickly fall to favoritism should there be a change in the judging roster, and while I feel the pain of having bad RPers in the RP, I worry this may affect the 'who gets in' policy. Comments?
3) What kind of RPs would you be doing in lieu of the (numerous) combat-based RPs?
4) What goals do you have for the VIP board, outside of weeding out the bad RPers?

Aside from that, I guess I'd like to sign up.
Hey. Been a while. I'm on discord at Twippit#9645. See ya around sometime, maybe.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#9 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Twippit wrote:I have a few questions as well...

1) Are you suggesting that we have to have a set character, one we must use for whatever RP we enter into? I personally prefer making a new character for every RP -someone who makes sense in that 'world'. For instance, I wouldn't use a fox anthro for a strictly Pokemon-based RP, nor would I use a hobbit for an anthro RP.
2) Let me preface this question with a clarifying statement; I don't believe any of the current judges are guilty of this. However, this sounds like it could quickly fall to favoritism should there be a change in the judging roster, and while I feel the pain of having bad RPers in the RP, I worry this may affect the 'who gets in' policy. Comments?
3) What kind of RPs would you be doing in lieu of the (numerous) combat-based RPs?
4) What goals do you have for the VIP board, outside of weeding out the bad RPers?

Aside from that, I guess I'd like to sign up.
1. No, but it might be smart to use one that you made in the past.
2. The recruiters do not make the decision, they post the situation and response to the VRP board. We have a fairly lenient decision making process (you're assumed to be accepted unless someone says "no way"
3. Mysteries, explorations, quests of romance and intrigue! You can have danger--physical, emotional, spiritual, mental--all without express combat. And we don't even want to rule out combat as a rule! We just don't think you need to list the weapons your character has on hand.
4. Other than just removing the obviously disingenuous RPers--which is our primary goal--we want to be able to give a different roleplay experience where people don't have to worry about the whole thing degrading into a measuring contest.
VERY, GOOD

Kisuke
Grand Templar
Location: Piloting an airship and ruling the skies with my crew.

#10 Post by Kisuke »

I guess it's my turn to ask a few questions. Welp, here goes:

1) If you are a part of this new board, and you know of some people who, in your opinion, are 'good' RPers, would you be able to extend an invitation to them without having to make them run through the recruiting process?
2) If the answer to 1 is a yes, would those people join on a trial basis to see if they're truly worthy of the board, or would they be outright accepted and fall into the member rules of getting removed? If a trial basis, then how long would it last?
3) If I may ask, who is already a part of this board?

Either way, count me in for this.

Sacredless
Citizen

#11 Post by Sacredless »

I'd like to apply for this VIP position. My name is Sacredless across several media and my greatest passion, besides drawing, is storytelling and then especially interactive storytelling. Of all three forms of RP(as I classify them), I am most experienced Free-Form(Play-by-Post, MMORPG, IRC RP, etc.), but I -really- want to get better acquainted with Pen-and-Paper(d20, Mafia, etc.).

I have played characters for Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim games and I have a character ready for Deux Ex: Human Revolution, Assassin's Creed and the generic (zombie-)apocalypse games. Finally, I am currently formulating a character for the TwoKinds universe.

While experienced in free-form RP, I am inexperienced in Forum RP comparative with MMO and IRC RP. However, relative to other players, I can say most definitely that I am not a noob or engage in power-play. I play to play and write.

Hopefully, this convinces you to allow me to take your test. :)

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#12 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Everyone's allowed to, again, previous experience not necessary. I'll go ahead and send out some invitations tonight if not tomorrow.

EDIT: in response to questions
Kisuke wrote:I guess it's my turn to ask a few questions. Welp, here goes:

1) If you are a part of this new board, and you know of some people who, in your opinion, are 'good' RPers, would you be able to extend an invitation to them without having to make them run through the recruiting process?
2) If the answer to 1 is a yes, would those people join on a trial basis to see if they're truly worthy of the board, or would they be outright accepted and fall into the member rules of getting removed? If a trial basis, then how long would it last?
3) If I may ask, who is already a part of this board?

Either way, count me in for this.
1. nope
2. n/a
3. The people in the VIP board who helped bring about its inception. Kind of unfair, I know, but we need a voting base for our recruiting process to make any sense. (Many opted to do the recruiting process anyway; it's pretty fun, no bureaucracy to navigate. :))
VERY, GOOD

neosgàthach
Merchant

#13 Post by neosgàthach »

I have one question, hopefully it's a simple one:
-once someone has been accepted to this, is it expected that try to remain somewhat active within it, or is it alright if they lay dormant for stretches (no more than 2, 3 months at most)?

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Hmmm what constitutes as "combat-centric" the literal translation where its just fight fight fight... Or something else like "oh ill fight if i have the opertunity weather its a good idea or mot but i wont fight without reason"... Cuz i tend to get pretty aggressive with my playstyle as my character grows and attains a more... Acceptable level of fight survival unless of course im playin the romantic card in that case i just fight to protect my love and all that jazz...
ImageImageImage

2plus2makes5
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by 2plus2makes5 »

Hmm, I must admit that this is the sort of thing I've been hoping to happen for quite a while. It'll be good to reintroduce some quality (and lifespan) of the RP back into this forum. Sign me up, if it pleases you.
We wear the mask that grins and lies,
It hides our cheeks and shades our eyes,—
This debt we pay to human guile;
With torn and bleeding hearts we smile,
And mouth with myriad subtleties.
-Paul Laurence Dunbar