What kind of Furry are you?

Anything and everything.

Moderator: Moderators

Commander-Strife
New Citizen

Re: What kind of Furry are you?

#721 Post by Commander-Strife »

I'm more or less Secretive nowadays about it... unless you've seen my DA, then you know I'm an obvious furry since I've got quite a bit of anthropomorphic characters on there out of my non-anthros.

The only people who know I'm a furry is anyone who reads this, and anyone who really knows me for any decent length of time.

I'm more or less secretive due to my level of shyness, and let's just say I'm uber shy due to having a fear of just people, controntation and rejection in general.
I have seen people in fursuits before, but I am never brave enough to greet them, even though I secretly want to and have a large urge to feel the fluffiness.

EDIT: Oh crap, sorry about the Necro, I saw it on the front page and assumed it would be okay. Sorry if it isn't. '~'
Outer Space is annoying. Wormholes are worse.

Deviantart

HerrIrish
New Citizen

#722 Post by HerrIrish »

I guess I'm a furry?

No. That came out wrong.

I am a furry.

I just try to be a bit quiet about it sometimes.

I like anthro art, and I have always enjoyed stories that involve animals in human roles like Redwall, Disney's Robin Hood, the Secret of NIMH, and more recently Twokinds.
My DA favorites have plenty of examples of that.

I have one friend who really knows, and that's because we kinda opened up to each other about it. He really helped me figure this whole thing out, and I am so thankful for it. Each of us had known that the other faved anthro stuff on DA, but until that point, I had never thought about putting a label other than 'Redwaller' on my interest.

I don't have a sona, though I think that is a cool idea. I do, however have several characters made up that I keep in my head in case I ever need them.

Two other friends kinda know because they follow me on DA, but I refer to myself as an "anthropomorphologist" there.

I clam up when I'm at school because I'm worried about being judged by my classmates. I happen to be stuck with some of the most sick-minded and cruel people I have ever had the displeasure of encountering.

(Providing a good education with firm Christian morals my [censored]!)

I mean seriously, they are just horrible people and I am terrified to be myself around them because I am legitimately afraid of what people will say and do and think. And I did, in fact, get some unwanted attention from some of these people when one of them saw me reading a Redwall book. No physical assault or anything (I could beat them to a pulp if I felt like it :twisted:) but that event really made me hate even references to furries and the like because I never wanted to be associated with them again.

So I obviously have come out of my shell a bit in posting this and being on DA, and stuff like that, and I am glad I have, because you guys are pretty awesome!

I just want to say thanks for providing a place where, even though I am new, I feel like I can be honest and get things off my chest a bit.

(Thoughtdump over. Now I just have to post this before I convince myself that no one cares and I delete everything again...)
Eh, I've seen worse.

Check out my DA page - but only if you feel like it.

midnightblink
Council Member

#723 Post by midnightblink »

I first considered myself a furry about 2 months ago after a conversation with someone on this forum. By now, I am completely open about it online, but in real life, I'm very closeted. Only 2 of my closest friends know, and I wouldn't dream about making it public. I even switch to incognito mode whenever I go on DA or FA, because I have a couple nosy friends and family that I know are not above looking through my history (one of them even read through my diary, and found out I was bi that way). I'm still happy I discovered the community. One thing I've found is that the furry community is one of the most accepting and understanding groups out there. You don't have to worry about people judging you for what you believe, what you feel or what you are when you're online. I'm planning on being more open about it once I'm living on my own and I have some privacy (I live with about 5 other people currently), but until then I'm fine with just being able to say what I want online, because that's all I need in my life right now.
Primum Non Nocere

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#724 Post by The Rookie »

So it's a bit over a year since I've posted in here, but I guess my situation has change a bit.

So I don't really consider myself a furry outside of an appreciation for the art style and a mild attraction to anthro characters . However, I still have some issues identifying as part of the fandom, mostly to do with my depression and fear of criticism from family and friends if they ever found out.

Since last year, my girlfriend and one of my housemates found out about my "furrieness" when we started playing drunk truth or dare. Naturally, my housemate started asking questions regarding sexuality and 'interest' and I pretty much broke down and started crying in front of them then and there (I was pretty drunk). After a while I explained why I felt so ashamed by what I was and how I didn't want them to think of me any differently. Surprisingly my housemate just shrugged it off like "Eh, could be worse. You could have had a cactus fetish." (In joke) and never brought it up again. My girlfriend was surprisingly accepting, saying "Everyone is weird in their own way." Occasionally she'll make a sly joke about how I'm the one whose into tails or something, but she doesn't mean anything by it.

Basically what I'm trying to get at (I think) is I'm still real secretive about it in real life, but I don't feel quite as bad about it as I used to. I actually admire those of you who have the self-esteem and the 'don't care attitude' to be completely open about these things in the real world
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#725 Post by Bachaddict »

SperoWolf wrote: The lack of a fursona (which is the same for me) is really rare, but I've never seen anyone say "Anyone without a fursona is not a furry!"
Wait, you're not a wolf?!?
|This box is too sm|

Bachaddict
Apprentice

#726 Post by Bachaddict »

That's exactly what my robot face is like. To me it has no relevance to the film it's from.
|This box is too sm|

ZePink
Citizen

#727 Post by ZePink »

I'm pretty secretive about the whole furry thing because my classmates (the ones i hang out with most of the time) are all into cars and stuff and the last time I showed them something I like well they bashed it quite a lot. But they're still my friends, I just don't mention anything what they consider non-normal. But my "best" friend goes on the basis do whatever you want but even he doesn't know even though couple times I've posted something furry related.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

#728 Post by Kellard »

I should probably state that I am not a furry. Yes, my avatar may seem to be my fursona, but it really doesn't mean anything to me. I just wanted a fancy husky :roll:.

RevZ
New Citizen

#729 Post by RevZ »

I am not a furry. I just like all sorts of art, especially if it comes with a good story! :grin:
Anthropomorphic art has a long history with mankind; the 'furry' fandom is something more recent though, in the way it exists now. Not interested at all in such activities, thank you very much. :roll:

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#730 Post by xboxgamer969 »

I'm a basic furry, I don't do fursuiting, I don't go to Furry conventions, I simply just am a furry if that makes any sense haha

I mean I read all sorts of Furry Webcomics so there's that, there's also the other art I like, you know the "other" art, hey dont judge we all look at that stuff when we get older hehe :D~

musicgeek
Apprentice

#731 Post by musicgeek »

I don't really self identify as a furry as such, I just see myself as somsone who appreciates anthropomorphic characters, the art and some parts of the community. To many people that's still classed as being a furry but personally I don't put the label on myself.
If somsome were to ask me if I were interested in these things, I'd probably deny it but not go overboard in terms of shouting it down.
oh god what do i put here

Warrl
Grand Templar

#732 Post by Warrl »

For me, furry characters neither help a weak story nor harm a good one.

One hazard of furry stories is how inter-species relationships - particularly between predator and prey or between large and small - work. The question can be ignored and everyone just gets along, with or without resizing to a more human-like range of heights. Or it can be handled well in any of several ways. Or avoided by having only one species, although that's rare. Or it can be... really messed up and implausible. "Yeah, MouseTech has no problem bringing in cats as consultants, knowing full well that the cats are likely to eat some of our best employees..." (Made-up example, although I know of a real example of something similar... in the early days of a comic that later got much better.)

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#733 Post by xboxgamer969 »

musicgeek wrote:I don't really self identify as a furry as such, I just see myself as somsone who appreciates anthropomorphic characters, the art and some parts of the community. To many people that's still classed as being a furry but personally I don't put the label on myself.
If somsome were to ask me if I were interested in these things, I'd probably deny it but not go overboard in terms of shouting it down.
Closet Furry ;)

musicgeek
Apprentice

#734 Post by musicgeek »

xboxgamer969 wrote:
musicgeek wrote:I don't really self identify as a furry as such, I just see myself as somsone who appreciates anthropomorphic characters, the art and some parts of the community. To many people that's still classed as being a furry but personally I don't put the label on myself.
Closet Furry ;)
Maybe. >.>
oh god what do i put here

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#735 Post by xboxgamer969 »

musicgeek wrote:
xboxgamer969 wrote:
Closet Furry ;)
Maybe. >.>
It's fine I get it, I was similar once except it was more so Closet Brony and then I came out after a month or so, that was a while back and no longer a brony for many reasons. But being a furry isn't really something I go out telling people, but if someone asks me why I like furry stuff or if I'm a furry and such then I will gladly tell them my honest thoughts because I don't care what people think about me, if I like it then I like it, simple as that.